Start by marking “Midnight Rider” as Want to Read:
Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  626 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Diana Palmer delivers a tale of two unlikely lovers in turn-of-the-century Texas who are about to find love where they least expect it.... ? Count Eduardo Cortes's fortune-and future at his beloved ranch-are in question. Tragedy, money woes and family pressure are now driving him toward a marriage of convenience. That is, until he encounters Bernadette Barron, wandering fr ...more
Published November 20th 2012 by HQN Books (first published August 29th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Rider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Rider

Alexis-Morgan Roark
This one has to last for a while...I am going into the week before FINALS!!

Still behind for FINALS and finished this book. I know. I know. I gotta hide my Kindle and box up my books until the weekends.

Anyway...this was a historical. Nice change from all the contemporary (90s) alpha jerks I've been reading lately.

It was nice to get a variety of characters even if the plot/storyline is the same as the contemporaries-I am OK with that!

This heroine, while not as healthy as most DP heroines, was a bi
Bree T
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Bernadette Barron has always been a burden to her father. Her mother died in childbirth and her father has never forgotten that, nor has he forgiven her it seems. Bernadette also suffers from debilitating asthma and often requires care during and after an attack, further adding to the burden on her wealthy father.

An Irish immigrant, Colston Barron aspires to the levels of society that are closed off to him, despite all of his acquired wealth. He wants to marry his daughter off to a man with a ti
Adriana Fogaça
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cavaleiro da Meia-noite
Diana Palmer
Harlequin Books
2014

Atualmente tenho tido a chance de ler ótimos livros da Diana Palmer. Fiquei surpresa e feliz de pegar um livro que foi escrito em 1998, e encontrar belíssimos personagens e uma excelente estória.

O que me deixa totalmente desconcertada são as mocinhas que a Diana inventa. Pois, me coloca uma mocinha do início do século passado, destemida, inocente (é claro), mas totalmente a frente de seu tempo.

Fico confusa, pois são completamente diferente d
Danielle
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Amanda Sheila
I LOVED IT!

Bernadette, pretty girl with fragile lungs, is going to marry Eduardo. But not out of love. Bernie needs him for his title and to get away from her disrespectful father and Eduardo needs her to save his ranch. They made a promise to have a good marriage with friendship and honesty only. But what will Eduardo do when he realized he fall in love with Bernadette when she already gone because of his awful grandmother?

Been a while since I read good work of Diana Palmer. I have no high ex
Jenny
I LOVED IT! Hero, a rancher, lost his wife and child and is facing bankruptcy. Heroine's rich father wants to marry off his asthmatic daughter to someone with a noble title. Hero steps in and asks Bernadette to marry him. That way he will finally be rich and she will join aristocracy.

Sweet love story, a marriage of convenience, a sick heroine and happy HEA with twin babies! I wanted to slap hero's grandmother and cousin for the way they treated poor Bernadette but she was feisty and spunky not
Katrina
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liv
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I am awaiting the arrival of my new monthly credits on audible.com, I needed an inexpensive audiobook, and not a long one at that. Oh my goodness, this little book was so much more than I bargained for! It was so good!!

This book has a lot of redeeming qualities in the lives of the characters. Palmer did a wonderful job in creating some of the most beautiful transformations in father-daughter, husband & wife, and within in-law relationships which was so heart-warming to witness.

Bernadette
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
I haven't read a Diana Palmer book in quiet awhile, but I do remember why I stopped. . . Usually D follows a certain formula which goes something like this -> Mousy repressed girl + Super Jerk + ridiculous woman hating past = abusive relationship that by some HUGE mystery transforms into ever lasting love.

I enjoy the whole love/hate romances, and I'm an even bigger sucker for the dream boat hero to fall madly in love with the normal/average girl everyone overlooks, so I always convince mysel
Kasey Riley
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done

I was worried about this tale after the last I read from this author...I needn't have been. This story is well written without the repetitive details and angst of her more recent works. The characters were well developed and realistic, the setting believable and the plot well thought out. Worth the read. Good job.
Renee Booth (Sassy Book Lovers)
Historical Romance isn't often my choice of genre but I love change and I love reading different things. So when this was sent to me to review I had no idea what I was getting into or what to expect from it. What I didn't expect was to enjoy it as much as I did.

The blurb, to me, doesn't give this book justice.

Bernadette, young and stubborn has turned down many marriage proposals, much to her fathers disgrace. She wants to find love on her own, she wants Eduardo, but she won't let anyone know.
Karen Geurts
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story of Bernadette and Eduardo. It was back in time and different, but yet the same. Bernadette was a strong willed woman who stood up for herself and made a good marriage with Eduardo, who did not think he would find love. I liked the story line and the characters.
Pam H
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bernadette Barron's father is trying to marry her off to a titled gentleman with no luck. Bernadette manages to thwart every attempt. She has lived a miserable existence with her father, a self made millionaire, because in his eyes his beloved wife is dead thanks to Bernie. Her mother died giving birth to her and every time her father looks at her he is reminded of that fact.

Eduardo Cortes is a Count from Spain who lives on a ranch nearby and desperately needs money to keep his operation going.
Clarke
3.7 Stars. Public Library 11/10/14. Bernadette is the daughter of a wealthy Irish immigrant who is trying to marry her off in exchange for respectability. Eduardo is the neighbor that Bernadette has been in love with for years he also happen to fit all of her fathers criteria. He's titled but desperately in need of money which is the bargaining chip Bernadette's father feels like he needs to marry her off. Bernadette thought the hardest part of her relationship with Eduardo would be getting him ...more
Patricia Solla
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Based on our conceptions of life in the old west this story is right on the mark. The author has created a tale that gives the reader a strongly independent female lead character who's family background is a little odd but interesting to the reader. The male lead character is strong, mysterious and has and odd family background which is once again interesting to the reader. There are several issues involved with the health and well-being of the female lead character and the author addresses them ...more
Joanne
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bernadette's father is trying to find her a titled husband so he can break into oploie society. She rejects them all so far but her father says she must marry or else. Edwardo on the next ranch has ties to the Spanish Royalty and Bernadette has always had a crush on him. They come up with a plan to marry so Bernadette father will finally leave her alone and Edwardo can get money for his ranch . Will this be an arrangement only or will they actually fall in love?
Amber
FANTASTIC. Loved this story to pieces. Great character development, great setting, great story, just...y'know...great. XD There were a few parts that felt a LEETLE bit rushed, but the everything else was so wonderful I still had to give it a full five stars. Particularly for the fact that it didn't end when the "I love you"s were exchanged! I might have to buy myself a copy of this one.
Ggaspar Gegargas
Es un libro fácil de leer, con una historia de amor preciosa. Quizás si he echado en falta en algunas partes mas desarrollo y menos en otra, pero en general es aceptable.

Lo que más me gustó, que no te aburres pues no hay relleno.

Lo que menos me gustó, alguna que otra salida fácil.
Lu Bielefeld *read.laugh.love*
Amei a heroína! \o/
Este é um típico livrinho da autora e me deixou com saudade do modo de escrever dela. Os livros atuais estão todos muito ruins, então foi como um bálsamo para minha alma de fã, hahahahaha!!!
Chitra *CJ*
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Diana palmers I hve ever read!
It was like reading a mix of good mills and boons, a historical and a dp- all in one!
No misunderstandings, no tears- everything was resolved at once. The heroine was strong and the hero considerate. Made my night :)
Angela
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oh-cowboy
Me dio pena como la trataba su papá, pobrecita. Quede conforme con el desenlace de la historia :)
Es el segundo libro que leo de la autora, el primero creo que fue un de las peores lecturas de este año. Este me gusto muchos más, estoy feliz de haberle dado otra oportunidad.
Angelica Stevenson
In 2005-2007 I read so many of Diana Palmer's books. My ex's mom had a lot and that got me hooked. She is an excellent author and I just enjoyed them. Especially the rancher, texas, farmer themes plots and stuff.
Natalie
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of her historical novels. Bernadette has been in love with Eduardo for years. He chooses to marry her for her dowry so he can save his ranch. Several misunderstandings before the happy ending.

I usually prefer contemporary romance to historical ones, but this book was rather good.
Dorothy
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic love story with many twists and turns all the way to the end of the story.
PWRL
Jun 05, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
E
LibraryDanielle
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
a bit pat in the resolution, but not a terrible story. everyone magically reverses their thinking in one fell swoop and poof, everyone is happy. yeah, right.
Judith
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Decent story. I though the asthmatic storyline was definitely something different Palmer and I thought she did a fairly decent job incorporating it into the scheme of things.
Jenny
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
library e-book
Jaye
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every girl should be blessed with an Eduardo. Strength, nobility and determination, whats not to love.
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • Taken: The Spaniard's Virgin (Mediterranean Brides, #2)
  • Deceit of a Pagan
  • Breed True (Eclipse Heat, #7)
  • Texas Princess (Whispering Mountain, #2)
  • Roccanti's Marriage Revenge (Marriage By Command #1)
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • The Most Unsuitable Wife (Kincaids, #1)
  • Marriage Meltdown
  • Except My Love
  • The Prince's Captive Wife (The Royal House of Karedes #3)
  • Opposites Attract (Love, New Orleans Style, #5)
  • Wishes in the Wind
  • Where the Four Winds Collide
  • To Wed a Stranger (C Series, #6)
  • For Honor's Sake
  • Highland Moonlight

Diana Palmer is a pseudonym for author Susan Kyle.

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's libera
More about Diana Palmer...