Start by marking “Somewhere to Call Home (Boardinghouse Betrothals #1)” as Want to Read:
Somewhere to Call Home (Boardinghouse Betrothals #1)

Somewhere to Call Home

(Boardinghouse Betrothals #1)

Published October 30th 2012 by Love Inspired

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere to Call Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhere to Call Home

Paula
Very enjoyable historical romance set at a boardinghouse in New York City. I really liked the characters in this book, the sweet and tender romance between Violet and Michael, and the boarders of Heaton House whose stories I'm looking forward to in the next books of the Boardinghouse Betrothals series. The descriptions of New York City at the end of the nineteenth century made me feel as if I was there experiencing the city for the first time along with Violet.
Loraine
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some might call it a proposal. Violet Burton knows it's blackmail, and she refuses to give in. She won't marry the unscrupulous banker who holds the mortgage on her Virginia home. Instead, she'll find employment in New York City, earning enough to pay her debts before returning home. Virginia's where she belongs…even if reconnecting with childhood friend Michael Heaton makes her long to stay permanently at his mother's boardinghouse.

A sweet, clean historical romance, first in the Boardinghouse B
Janis Kay
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-fic, own
History geek review! I loved this author's attention to historical detail from the legendary NYC traffic down to the mention of the spittoons...[shivers]. I believe this period is what historians have dubbed 'The Gilded Age'. I personally think Edith Wharton would've liked this book for a few of the comments about 'American royalty'.

As you can probably tell, I thoroughly enjoyed this read and hope to hear about some of the other boarding house characters in the future:) I LOVED Mrs. Heaton!!!!!
Dawn
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Violet comes to New York to find a job so that she can reclaim her family home. She's living in the boarding house owned by her mother's best friend, Mrs. Heaton. Michael, the proprietress's son, is surprised to see the woman Violet's grown into. Never showing favoritism to one woman boarder over another, Michael finds himself drawn to Violet and must work hard to attempt to treat her the same as the other boarders. Violet is drawn to Michael and his helpful nature. Will these two ever admit the ...more
Sherry Watson
Jul 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Didn't get through it. Found it boring from the beginning.
Rhonda Gibson
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
If you like historical New York and Romance, this is the book for you! The author has done an outstanding job of placing the reader in New York. A must read!!
Cindy DeLong
I really liked this book, although I found it hard to keep all the characters straight since they were pretty much all introduced at once. I don't remember the differences between Elizabeth and Julia. And the guys all got mixed up for me. Still totally worth reading.
📚Beth🐱
Actual rating: 2.5 stars
Kathy
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhere to Call Home by Janet Lee Barton Somewhere to Call Home by Janet Lee Barton was a very interesting read. I found the historical aspects of a late 18th century New York City very intriguing. I also thought the book well written.

Here is my breakdown on aspects I feel are important in any good book:
Ease of Readability - 9/10 This book was very easy to read.
Uniqueness of Story - 6/10 I didn't really think this story was all that unique. The only thing I found truly unique was all of the historical facts about a late 18th century
⚜️Trea
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: challenges-2013
I picked this up to read for one of the group reads this month, and boy do I regret it! I'm sorry to say, I really didn't like this book. The premise of the story on the back of the book didn't interest me, so I knew I was in for a rough ride in trying to read this for this month's group read. Granted, it was a quick read, and did get more interesting as it went on, saving it from a one star rating and bringing it to the two star rating I gave it, but I really hated the heroine. Yes, her behavio ...more
Paula-O
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it
LIH by Janet Lee Barton "Somewhere to Call Home"

My first book by this author and always like reading the LIH books..

Ashland Va is small town living in 1895 and Violet Burton likes living there but soon determines s
Emily
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, historical
I bought this book to read as a monthly book club read. I had read some horrible reviews on the book and thought well, I'll give it a try. I noticed a few errors in the book, that should have been caught by an editor.

I am really glad I picked up this book. It was fantastic. Yes, we all know how the outcome will be however, the story still tugged your emotions. Violet and Michael's attention to each other made me smile.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a quick, fun, romantic read!
Megan
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this story but there definitely could've been some more active conflict with Harlan to make it more interesting. Also, it would've been nice to find out what happened to Michael's sister. It was also frustrating that Violet and Michael did not communicate their feelings to each other much sooner, seems unrealistic. Lastly, the Pollyanna-type dialogue among the houseboarders was annoying.
Jackie
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thank you Janet Lee Barton and Goodreads for the historical love inspired novel, "Somewhere to Call Home". The novel was a very enjoyable read. It had interesting history information, courage, mystery and suspense and romance. I'm looking forward to the sequels of this novel. You are on my list of favorite authors...thanks again.
Heather
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
A simple, sweet, classic read. Kind of like a breath of fresh air. Slow-moving, but not in a boring way. I rather enjoyed it.
PWRL
Sep 18, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
O
Kelly_Instalove
Sep 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Kelly_Instalove by: 2012-10-30 - Harlequin
DNF at 40% - no clue what the conflict was supposed to be, and the writing was painfully cheesy.
Katie
Jun 09, 2018
Michelle
Aug 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Christian Books -...: Love Inspired Historical Book Giveaway #7 1 5 Jun 11, 2015 03:40AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jan 17, 2015 02:56PM

• The Marshal's Promise
  • Snowflake Bride (Buttons and Bobbins, #4)
  • A Baby Between Them (Irish Brides, #3)
  • The Cowboy Tutor (Three Brides for Three Cowboys, #1)
  • The Bridal Swap (Smoky Mountain Matches, #2)
  • The Preacher's Bride (Brides of Simpson Creek, #5)
  • Captain of Her Heart (Brides of Waterloo, #1)
  • Charity House Courtship (Charity House, #5)
  • Rocky Mountain Match (Rocky Mountain, #1)
  • Love on the Range
  • Brides of the West: Josie's Wedding Dress\Last Minute Bride\Her Ideal Husband
  • Counterfeit Cowboy
  • The Runaway Bride
  • The Substitute Bride
  • Legacy of Love
  • Their Frontier Family (Wilderness Brides, #1)
  • The Wedding Journey (Irish Brides, #1)
  • Homefront Hero

Boardinghouse Betrothals (6 books)
  • A Place of Refuge (Boardinghouse Betrothals #2)
  • A Home for Her Heart (Boardinghouse Betrothals #3)
  • A Daughter's Return (Boardinghouse Betrothals #4)
  • The Mistletoe Kiss (Boardinghouse Betrothals #5)
  • A Nanny for Keeps (Boardinghouse Betrothals #6)