Start by marking “Strobe Edge, Vol. 1 (Strobe Edge, #1)” as Want to Read:
Strobe Edge, Vol. 1 (Strobe Edge, #1)

Strobe Edge, Vol. 1

(Strobe Edge #1)

Having no experience in romance, the vibrant Ninako curiously explores the meaning of what "love" really is, and is surprised to feel a colorful range of emotions as she grows closer to the school heartthrob, the quiet yet gentle Ren, who also happens to be involved in a longtime relationship. With every intention of keeping her head held high, Ninako prepares to face the ...more
Published November 6th 2012 by VIZ Media LLC (first published November 22nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Strobe Edge, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Muzmuz since it's Japanese you read it from right to left ^^

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Review for the entire series

Don't ask, guys. I have no idea what I really think. I know what I'm supposed to think (it would be so easy to hate it, frankly) - but I'm honest, so here we go.

Over the top, cheesy, basically plotless and repetitive, totally frustrating, a love-triangle, but so cute, oddly comforting, compelling and picturing great friendship.

Yet I could say that the girl's life revolves around the boy she likes. I definitely could say that and complain endlessly. But... She is forteen. I was over dramatic and obsessed at 14! Igo.
Over
David Schaafsma
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had just read Kawahara’s High School Debut, which seems pretty similar to this, in som ways, but both are pretty great for what they set out to do. Both feature a completely inexperienced heroine looking for love. In this one, Ninako is finally read to explore what love really is, so she sets out on a quest. She discovers she has all these new emotions as she carefully considers hot popular guy Ren, who actually breaks her cell phone, replaces it, is nice to her, kind (not just hot, in other w ...more
Phoenix2
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: manga readers shoujo lovers
Shelves: manga-manhwa
First Srobe Edge volume was so easy to read that it only took me two hours. The story is very interesting, though I'm not a big fan of the art : ( Still, I like the characters so far and the story is promising. Thankfully, I've watched the movie ages ago and I don't remember the plot very well!
Mary
"Falling in love with someone...all kinds of people do it everyday."

WOW. This was just the thing I needed after so many paranormal YA and manga. Sure, they're great, but a good, realistic story is what you need every once in a while. I was so worried I wouldn't like this the first time I picked it up. All I remember was thinking how cute it was but it wasn't until my friend gave me her extra copy of vo
Sesana
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was surprised by how much I ended up liking this book. Romance fails at least as often as it succeeds with me. And the cover art is nice, but a little overwrought. It actually does start slow. The first chapter was dull and felt too much like a dozen other series I've read before. But I stuck with it, because I was interested by the author's explanation of the title. It's about those brief moments in time when your point of view can change dramatically. That was enough to make me hopeful that ...more
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
So freaking cute!! Is Vol 2 out yet??? (scurries off to check)

Review -

When I first read the book blurb above, I thought it was pretty lame. After reading Strobe Edge, though, I think it very accurately and very succinctly describes this high school romance. Ninako is shy and reserved, and everyone thinks she and her childhood friend, Daiki will eventually get together. Daiki makes no secret of his feelings, but he has never voiced them, leaving Ninako, who is kind of clue
Theresa ♫
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fellow humans in search for a cute story of unrequited love
ALRIGHT! I do feel...that I have to redo this review for this book. WHY?

1. I reread the review I gave this thing in 2011 and.......this book seriously deserves a better review.
2. With more FEELING. more...more EMOTION.
3. More ALL CAPS.
4. MORE GIFS (since I finally learned how to insert them about a year ago)
5. MY LIBRARY HAS STROBE EDGE, WHOA. I didn't even know it was going to be released in the US but yet....'twas......

So. Let's us begin.
Sprinkled Pages
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

I have not heard anyone talk about/recommend this manga, which is honestly such a pity because it's SOSOSOSO good and cute and fluffy! It was probably the fastest I ever got into and invested in a manga and I can't wait to read the rest of the volumes!
Janani(ஜனனி)
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
So good!
Emmy
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
A promising start to the series. I feel like this has the potential to be a bit trope-y, but I'm impressed by the twisting romantic plots and a love interest who is genuinely sweet (but not overbearing). Not sure how I feel about Daiki yet--he feels a bit too pushy, but I really like Ren. Our main character is naive and caring without being incompetent...So far, everything seems to be done just right. We'll have to see where the rest of the story goes.
DonutKnow
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute XD I wonder what's going to happen next after everyone's been confessing to each other 😂😂
Amanda Setasha Hall
SUPER CUTE.
Honestly the story is amazing and I'm going to keep reading it.
I rated down for the art style. I'm seriously not a fan and it bothers me A LOT. There's a lot of random "duck faces" too when they're being sarcastic and that's a pet peeve.
Sen
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Update (5/27/2012)
I am a bit late to find out, but Viz Media has licensed Strobe Edge ! First volume of an English copy will be released in November 2012~! (it's about time)

- - - - - - - -

**There are 10 volumes to Strobe Edge ; I've started and finished all of them in the month of March 2012.
Now instead of me reviewing each volume separately, I am reviewing all volumes right here! *u*)/ oi!**

Where did I read it? manga.animea.net

Let me break it all down:
The first/>**There
Holly Letson
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ninako is young, and has never been in love. But, the latter part is about to change.

Daiki is Ninako's childhood friend, and in his eyes, Ninako is the sheer picture of what love looks like. He cannot imagine himself ever being with anyone except her. You'd think he'd want to tell her right away, but no, he's too shy to confess.
All Ninako's gal pals are rooting for Ninako to get with Daiki. All Daiki's male buddies are rooting for him to get with Ninako. You'd think that's e
Kuroi
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: definitely-great
Well, well. What an interesting manga. It started off typically shoujo and ended pretty much the same way,
but when the plot was developing, it was a really compelling manga. I really appreciated two things about this manga. The first is the character development. Everyone matures, learns lessons and comes out the better for it and no one denies their feelings (for the most part). The second was the sympathy the mangaka created for every character. Under ordinary circumstances, Mayuka would
Courtney
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Courtney by: Unshelved book club
Not bad. Standard romance with some drama to spice things up. The plot is pretty lacklustre in the first volume, but I might continue on with the next couple to see if they draw me in any better.
Moriah Venable
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ninako is girl who knows nothing about love but her friends believe that she will date her best friend Daiki, who likes her, but she doesn't feel that way about him.

On her way on the train one day, she meets Ren, who is in the same class as her but while he is getting off at his stop, he breaks her phone charm and offers to buy her a new one. The two start to talk. And Ninako starts to develop feelings for him.

She soon finds out that he has a girlfriend, who is the older
Delirious Disquisitions
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, series
Ninako starts out as an idiot but gets better as the story progresses. Ninako's feelings for Ren, and their scenes together, are some of the better parts of the story. I quite like how Ren has been portrayed so far. As things stand at the ending, I'm quite curious to see how things go. Plus, I do love this author's other manga so I'm going to stick around for a while. 3 stars.
Christine
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Ao Haru Ride is better than this trust me.
Liilaa
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this last and i must say it wasn't as good as the other ones.
Kasumiiii
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are many moment which the characters’ feeling are changing. Why she can say like what she said to Ren? If I was said that, I could not come up with good words. I should chose some words more.
allythereader
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars || I love the consistency and surprises of the story. The way the charter develops at each encountered problem is also interesting.. and the art is so beautiful i can stare at them all day!
Selena
Strobe Edge has things I liked, and a bunch more I didn't. This truly is a case of "Mixed Feelings" for me.

The characters actually talked things out, which I loved. It took a little while (a somewhat realistic amount of time), but before too much drama could be artificially manufactured by keeping things bottled up. There were some awkward feelings on the part of Ninako, which caused her to try and avoid talking it out for a bit, but when faced with decision time, she actually told p
Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight)
Review for the whole series.

Strobe Edge is a sweet, straight-forward shojo manga. It is relatively short compared to standard manga series, completing at ten volumes. The focus of Strobe Edge is examining all the emotions that surround the concept of love, both familial and romantic. Readers familiar with shojo manga will immediately recognize its familiar tropes: a budding romance between the dashing yet aloof hero, the sweet, flighty heroine who eventually wins the hero over by her
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Ninako is an innocent girl who is told love is when you don't hate a boy who likes you. She assumes that means she's in love with her childhood friend Daiki, this changes when she runs into Ren on the train home one day. When he turns out to be a seriously nice guy she realizes she's fallen for him only to learn that Ren's heart is not available.

For a first volume we are getting the lay of the world and setting up relationships. I liked that Ninako had a group of girlfriends and is j
Alex
The Deal: Ninako is a high school student that has never had any experience with love, sure she has a small crush on Ren, the most popular guy at school but all the girls in her grade find him dreamy - though it doesn't seem any of them have ever actually talked to him.

Things change when Ninako realizes they take the same train after school. Due to a small accident, they start talking, and soon Ninako is really falling in love.

All to the consternation of Daiki, Ninako's best friend
Kate
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I've been keeping my eye on reviews regarding Strobe Edge ever since it debuted under Viz's Shojo Beat imprint. Those reviews have been fairly positive, and now that a handful of volumes are out, I decided to give the series a try myself.

What I discovered is a really enjoyable little story about discovering love for the first time. Our heroine, Ninako, is absurdly naive, but she makes up for this lack in her kindness. She is a very good, very kind person. Indeed, all of the characters th
Mehsi
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mehsi by: Dee Dee
First all thanks, Dee Dee for recommending this manga to me!

I really enjoyed this first volume. Ninako was a bit of an idiot sometimes, but I really grew to like her in this volume.
I am really happy that she had the heart and guts to reject the guy who asked her out. I have read enough books/manga were that doesn't happen, so yeah for this one!

Ah Ren, Ren, Ren. Damn he was beautiful and yummy. Ok, so are a lot of the guys in the manga (if you see them), but Ren just tops
Starbubbles
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I'm surprised by the simplicity of the story and how much I have come to like it. It is a simple love story between a girl, and a guy who is completely unavailable. I kept asking, "and what?" "you love him and you're... a vampire, magician, dead, what? That can't be it, right?" It took a while to get used to the idea of it being a normal story with no extra frills. haha!

Anyway, the story is fairly sweet and endearing. It explores the complexities of getting, maintaining, and letting
KatelynnCurl
This book was great because of Ninako Kinoshita was in love with Ren Ichinose, the handsome, enigmatic guy that all the girls worship. The boy that she meat in middle school his name was Daiki he was in love with Ninako Kinoshita for a long time until he found out that Ninako Kinoshita was in love with Ren Ichinose. if you want to find out more go to your library.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Lakeland Public L...: Strobe Edge Manga Series 1-10 1 4 Mar 13, 2015 07:16AM
2014 Hub Reading ...: Strobe Edge 5 14 Apr 03, 2014 04:19PM
Shoujo Manga Book...: Strobe Edge Discussion 6 14 Jun 02, 2013 05:36PM

• 悪魔とラブソング 6
  • 君に届け 17 (Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You, #17)
  • Stardust Wink 01
  • Love★Com, Vol. 17
  • わたしに××しなさい! 1 [Watashi ni xx Shinasai! 1]
  • Dengeki Daisy, Vol. 4 (Dengeki Daisy, #4)
Io Sakisaka (咲坂伊緒) is a Japanese manga artist. She also designed the characters for the anime movie HAL. Her works are:

-Call My Name 2001
-Strobe Edge 2007
-Ao Haru Ride 2011
-Sono Omokage o Shitteru 2013

Strobe Edge (10 books)
  • Strobe Edge, Vol. 2 (Strobe Edge, #2)
  • Strobe Edge, Vol. 3 (Strobe Edge, #3)
  • Strobe Edge, Vol. 4 (Strobe Edge, #4)
  • Strobe Edge, Vol. 5 (Strobe Edge, #5)
  • Strobe Edge, Vol. 6 (Strobe Edge, #6)
  • Strobe Edge, Vol. 7 (Strobe Edge, #7)
  • Strobe Edge, Vol. 8 (Strobe Edge, #8)
  • Strobe Edge, Vol. 9 (Strobe Edge, #9)
  • Strobe Edge, Vol. 10 (Strobe Edge, #10)