Start by marking “Uggie--My Story” as Want to Read:
Uggie--My Story

Uggie--My Story

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  149 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Dear Reader:

Wow! Bow wow! It’s been a wild ride—wilder even than learning to water-ski or skateboard. I’m so famous now that The New York Times plugged my autobiography. “Uggie will bark all in a memoir,” it announced. Well, I’ve certainly had a lot to bark about lately.

Even before The Artist stunned us all by hitting the big time and winning five Oscars, inside I knew (
Published October 16th 2012 by Gallery Books (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Uggie--My Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uggie--My Story

Jami
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-books
I absolutely adored this book, which was surprising to me as I have not seen The Artist and had no idea who Uggie was. It was told from Uggie's perspective and it was humorous; there were plenty of parts where I just had to laugh out loud! I was also happy that they got plugs in for their rescue group work, which is always a plus. This was a fast read and the pictures are adorable.

I felt like I really got to know Uggie's unique personality and the information about how the film was made was fasc
Matt
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I hadn't wanted to see The Artist until someone told me there was a cute doggie featured prominently in it, and then I was astounded by how the clever antics of a Jack Russel terrier pulled me into a charming and moving story about Hollywood's Golden Age. I really love dogs, especially small dogs. I was worried this book would be a little too pandering, the kind of cutesy phoned-in work that plays well to your grandma but makes your English teacher reach for the suicide hotline. Good news! Your ...more
Cheryl
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Uggie the Jack Russell terrier who starred in the academy award winning movie, The Artist, "barks" his life story to the author, Wendy Holden. Uggie was rescued from an animal shelter by his current owner who cared for him and trained him. Uggie's memoir traces his rise from skateboarding pup to international stardom. Lots of Hollywood gossip is included in this lighthearted tale.
Dawn
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Such a cute story about a dog who went from rags to riches with the help of his dad; his trainer and coach. This guy is so cute and the pictures show his personality and leave you with no doubt about why he is so popular.
Sue-Lynn Voigt
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well being a life long lover of JRTs, this book resonated with me. Now sharing our lives with the 4th JRT, I so relate to cat-gate, goat-gate and the personality of these ruff and tumble dogs, small in stature and big of heart. I miss everyone of our JRTs, they have such personality, but I have a special place in my heart for one. I am sure this is how Omar feels. Although he loves all his animals, Uggie was special. Great book for dog lovers!
Skye
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Uggie: My Story by Uggie and Wendy Holden (Gallery Books, 231 pages, 2012, $14.99)

Another “You can’t tell a book by its cover” book is Uggie. A strikingly adorably-classy cover shot of a Jack Russell Terrier (JRT or 'Jack' or even 'Russell') - sporting a $60,000 18-carat gold bone charm with his name inscribed and a black bow-tie collar - will have you looking at this book twice at your favorite neighborhood independent bookstore. I looked twice and finally bought it but found the book took too
Carole Tyrrell
Uggie

At last the true and inspiring story of how a Jack Russell terrier rose from a lost dog in a pound to sniffing the rich and famous on the red carpet at the Oscars. Uggie, the true star of The Artist, is the narrator of his own biography and enthusiastically reveals the secrets of training dogs – apparently it’s something to do with sausages, his days on the street or at the circus performing tricks with his handler, Omar and his undying love for Reese Witherspoon.
It’s a real rags to riches
Leah K
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Uggie: My Story by Wendy Holden
225 pages

★★★

Uggie is a terrier that is famous for being in movies such as Water for Elephants and The Artist (neither of which I’ve seen as of yet) and also many commercials and ads. He goes on to “write” this memoir with the help of Wendy Holden. It was cute, it really was. I would like to think that dogs think as written in the book, but alas they don’t. So I found myself annoyed that this dog thought in such a humanistic manner – of course how interesting would
Cynthia
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, for anyone who needs to be uplifted and read something light, this is the book for you. Filled with humor and love, this autobiography is written by a New York Times writer and is exceptionally entertaining for dog lovers, people interested in film production and those looking for a cute tale and a good story. Uggie, is the terrier in the films "The Artist" and "Water for Elephants"; he tells his story of almost becoming a pound dog but being rescued by an animal trainer in Cali ...more
Shazza Maddog
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Uggie: My Story is a tail told by a very famous little dog. It doesn't gloss over bad habits, or lack of training. It actually says, "Doing this takes time" often enough to maybe get through to people that dogs don't immediately learn the tricks you see in movies or on t.v.

Whether Uggie's direct personality comes through the book is up to the reader, I guess. I enjoyed it. I was looking for something a little light-hearted, and at least, I knew the dog didn't die at the end of the story. The hu
Rebecca Holland
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Uggie is a star dog. He was in the five-time Oscar winning movie, "The Artist." And this tale, as told to Wendy Holden, produced by Simon and Schuster, is just further proof that America is a dog nation.

Or a nation gone to dogs.

It is a cute epistle of the Jack Russell Terrier's adventures in Hollywood, or Hollyweird, as Phil from Duck Dynasty calls it.

And it is actually kind of fun to read - a book that you can pick up and take with you to the doctor's office when you want to pass the time away
Lori
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals-dogs
I am a big dog lover and enjoy reading books about dogs. this was a fun one to read. Uggie is a dog performer who has appeared in the movies Water For elephants and The Artist. it is told through his eyes.with the help of his owner Omar. a very quick read. I rather enjoyed reading about Uggies life and his experiences in the movies. he is an adorable and talented dog. I saw him in both the mentioned movies. he was a joy to watch. and this was a joy to read.he is ten years old now and retired. wi ...more
Debra Daniels-zeller
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dog, memoir
This is paws-down the best celebrity memoir ever. This upbeat story is a rags to riches story with an engaging likeable leading man Uggie, a Jack Russel Terrier who can skateboard and surf in addition to acting. His tell-all memoir dishes on Robert Pattenson, Graham Norton, Katy Perry and especially Reese Witherspoon. All in good fun of couse. I loved his slightly snarky one liners throughout the narrative. This was a howl-out-loud funny story with lots of insight about canine and animal actors.
Amanda
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absoutely loved this book and I love Uggie!!! :D He was just amazing and adorable in "The Artist" and so good in "Water for Elephants" too that I had to get this. :) I loved how the book was written from his POV and telling his life story, that of his human family, his love for Reese Witherspoon, and all the things that have happened to him as he got famous. A great book and Uggie will always be one of my favorite actor dogs!!! :D
Sharon Huether
Feb 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, dog-story
Uggie-- My Story..By Wendy Holden.. Uggie is telling his own story. He was rescued by a man that saw his potentical. He plays in movies. Omar taught him to act, in front of people and the camera. He played in the movie Water For Elephants and The Artist. He was born to act.In his home he has to get along with some cats. His favorite human is Omars daughter. He loves to water ski, be pampered by the ladies and enjoy kissing them. Such a ladies man.
Jan Polep
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
A coming-of-age, behind the scenes look at a legend in our time, Uggie. Star of "Like Water for Elephants" and "The Artist", who knew he could write a hysterical autobiography. If you like the Chet and Bernie mystery series told from a dog's point of view, you'll enjoy this tell-all that includes candid photos of milestone events. My heart still belongs to my bichonaranian, Jack the Wonder Dog but Uggie is one cool dude. Check out his FB page...and LIKE it!
Julie
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh Uggie. You've stolen my heart!

This book, written from Uggie's perspective, was much better than I expected. I knew I was going to read cute anecdotes, but I didn't realize I was going to learn a little something about animals in the entertainment industry. This book was an easy read. I think animal lovers and kids would enjoy it!
CindySlowReader
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I'm a dog lover, especially JRTs so this was a real treat. From naughty pup to the Oscar ceremony this dog Uggie was meticulously trained and loved by his trainer and it showed. If you haven't seen the movie The Artist yet, make it soon.

The writer behind the dog, Wendy Holden, was very funny. She did a great job of giving Uggie a voice.
Barbara
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's a quick, cute read with lots of great pictures. Nice behind the scenes stuff (no gossip, just appreciative peeks into the process and the terrific people involved), and a non-preachy example of how a 'rescue' dog (which Uggie is, as well as most of his 'brothers and sisters') can become beloved family members and occasionally, award-winning stars!
Sharon Smith
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I probably should have waited until after I watched The Artist to read this (thar be spoilers, matey) but I'm sure I'll love it anyway. And Uggie is a hilarious little pooch! This totally reads like a Hollywood confessional, but with a dog's wry wit. I already *really* want a dog ; now I want a Jack Russel just like Uggie.
Pillo Peebee
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Funny and very sweet biography of a great CAAAANO (dog in Italian). My mom and I really appreciated it. And we discovered all other short commercials and apperances on tv of Uggie. Long Live Uggie and his brothers and sisters too.
Mary
Mar 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Very enjoyable and easy to read. Many times I find books like this ("autobiographies" by animals) are either very dry or way too schmaltzy for my taste. This one got the tone just right for my taste.
Mom
Mar 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Saw Uggie in The Artist. Waiting for his next flick.
Saturday's Child
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read.
Louann
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was ok. There were seveal times that the author just go corny. I really loved the details about his training and becoming a movie star, though.
Carol Palmer
Jul 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
The only reason I read this book is because a friend loaned it to me because I own a Jack Russell Terrier. It was cutesy, but probably wouldn't have bought it or borrowed it.
Shirl
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually read biographies or autobiographies, but Uggie bark Ed this one out so well I really enjoyed it.
Susan
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very sweet book written by the trainer of Uggie, the amazing Jack Russell terrier who played the dog Jack in "The Artist" - Uggie's "autobiography," and a really fun read it is.
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it so much! Such an entertaining, funny and heartwarming book, written in the words of Uggie himself. Such a sucker for a dog writing a book!
Maxine
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Charming, funny. Anyone who likes dogs will enjoy this book about Uggie, the hollywood movie star.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
All About Animals: Uggie--My Story 18 15 Mar 18, 2014 04:01PM
  • Betty and Friends: My Life at the Zoo
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Saving Cinnamon: The Amazing True Story of a Missing Military Puppy and the Desperate Mission to Bring Her Home
  • Bad to the Bone: Memoir of a Rebel Doggie Blogger
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
  • The Wolverine Way
  • Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls-- One Flying Disc at a Time
  • Two Bobbies: A True Story of Hurricane Katrina, Friendship, and Survival
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • What I Learned When I Almost Died: How a Maniac TV Producer Put Down His Blackberry and Started to Live His Life
  • Bliss to You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life
  • Yesh! - Mutts IV
  • Seven Dogs in Heaven
  • Patrick Roy: Winning, Nothing Else
  • War Horse
  • Only One Woof
  • A Christmas Home (A Dog Named Christmas #2)
  • We Rode the Orphan Trains

• Just Another Kid
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free
    $8.73 $1.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99