Start by marking “Hellblazer, Volume 5: Dangerous Habits” as Want to Read:
Hellblazer, Volume 5: Dangerous Habits

Hellblazer, Volume 5: Dangerous Habits

(Hellblazer (New Editions) #5)

This new Hellblazer collection features several tales never before collected, including a look at John Constantine's roughand tumble childhood and the beginnings of his unique skills. Then, in some of the earliest stories from Preacher writerGarth Ennis, John Constantine is dying. As a sorcerer literally haunted by the demons of his past, John is no stranger to mystic ...more
Paperback, New Edition, 352 pages
Published May 14th 2013 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Hellblazer, Volume 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellblazer, Volume 5

Start your review of Hellblazer, Volume 5: Dangerous Habits
Crystal
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well that's a neat trick to remember ...more
Lᴀʏᴀ Rᴀɴɪ ✦
"Walking away is what I do best. Walking away withouta glance over my shoulder at the misery and bloodshed I've left behind me. I escaped when I shouldn't have.I cheated. I laughed in the face of the Devil when all the other people can do is succumb. Because that's what it is to be me. Tobe John Constantine."

There are a lot of reasons to read and recommend Hellblazer. If your desire is to read a compelling serialized paranormal comic book series then this will more than satisfy such cravings.
James DeSantis
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Jamie leaves and in enters Garth!

The ending to Jamie's run hits some emotional parts but overall it's nothing special. Just like most of his run, it's overly written and boring. He's trying to make our hero go through a spiritual jounary but none of it is interesting. The niece/uncle stuff is by far the best stuff. On the flipside Ennis comes in and creates a powerful story about a very real disease, cancer, and how he'll have to handle it. A trick to the devils? Friends leaving and dying? All
Ivan
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
After weak volumes 3 and 4 finally we get a good one. This is John Constantine I singed up for.

It starts badly but than Garth Ennis takes over and quality jumps significantly. First half was between 2 and 3 stars There where few issues from quest writers and illustrators (Neil Gaiman and Sean Philips as most notable names) which where decent and it was last few issues that it really starts to get good and there was ending which was just brilliant.

Quentin Wallace
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This volume contains one of the best Hellblazer stories ever. I read the original version years ago, and it just had the Garth Ennis storyline. This one contains both the end of Delano's run as well as the Garth Ennis story.

Now, to me this was almost like two separate books, so I'll show how I arrived at the combined rating.

Delano Stories: 3 Stars

The Delano stories were just "out there." Even though Hellblazer is a pretty weird comic, these stories took it to another level. I don't know if
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
The first half and more is bad. Now, I know John Constantine will never be all sunshine and roses - far from it actually - but the amount of ugliness here is not good, to put it mildly. Horrendous illustrations don't help either.

The eponymous last part of this volume saves the day as far as the story and illustration go, so there's that. Smart placement.
Shannon Appelcline
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've literally been waiting to get to read the end of Delano's run of Hellblazer for almost 20 years, so it's great to finally see them in this new edition of Dangerous Habits.

Dead Boy's Heart (34-36). It's great to see Delano's story come full circle, as we get the return of Marj and Merc, who have been long-missing (and missed!) from the comic. Beyond that, John at his lowest looking for new hope is wonderfully depicted. The center issue of this trio, about John's childhood, is absolutely
Jordan
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alright folks, this is it. We have made it to THE NUMBER ONE Hellblazer writer/story. This is what is most often referenced, adapted, and enjoyed. And I must say, IT IS AWESOME. If I were to refer Hellblazer to a friend I would say to start here. It's that good.
Devann
me on an average day: I would fistfight Garth Ennis in a Wal-Mart parking lot at 3 AM
me after reading Dangerous Habits: Wow! I cannot believe Garth Ennis single-handedly made Hellblazer interesting!!

In all seriousness, I do generally enjoy Ennis' work at least on some level but I also think that as he goes along he often gets lost in what he perceives to be his own genius, but this is very early days so I have high hopes continuing forward. BUT, before we get to all that I guess I should wrap up
Hugo Emanuel
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, owned
This volume collects issues #34 to #46 (the first six issues are written by Jamie Delano and mark the end of his run on Hellblazer and the remaining six are penned by Garth Ennis).
I had build a considerable degre of expectation regarding this volume solely fueled by Ennis` "Dangerous Habits" arc, as I had heard very mixed opinions regarding the Jamie Delano penned issues included in this collection. As it turned out, the Delano issues were mostly excellent and stand proudly against Ennis' arc.

Nicolo Yu
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comixology
As Jamie Delano winded up his run in this collection, Garth Ennis began his own lengthy run on Hellblazer with an arc that soon became on of the iconic Constantine stories as it was the main inspiration for the Keanu Reeves movie.

This is easily merits a five-star rating from me.
Shadowdenizen
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This a 4.5 for me.

I waffled between the two, but I opted to give it a 5 due to the sheer audacity and electricity Ennis brings to the title.

And it ends (for the most part) Delanos run on Hellbalzer, which I really didn't care for overall.
Devon H.
Now THAT is what I'm TALKING about!

Finally, finally, FINALLY. I was really getting tired of poor John Constantine, professional wallower and dabbler in no arts. The Family Man plot was good, but I was really starting to wonder if Constantine did magic at all. All he seems to do is moan and groan. And drink. And smoke. And ride in vans.

But THIS. Now, THIS is great stuff. (view spoiler)
Chris Lemmerman
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
An eclectic end to Jamie Delano's run opens this Hellblazer trade, opting for short, sharp storylines instead of extended ones like The Fear Machine or The Family Man. These also vary in quality, but are overall enjoyable, with The Magus being the outstanding one.

Garth Ennis then takes over with his Dangerous Habits storyline in the latter half of the trade, which is Constantine at his best, especially as the story winds into its conclusion. I've not read any other Ennis Hellblazer, but if it is
Anca
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Apparently in this new edition they've put together Garth Ennis's legendary Dangerous Habits story arc with Jamie Delano's closing of his arc on Hellblazer. The two just don't go together. Ennis does a much better job of pacing a story and portraying John Constantine as a man in charge of his destiny. Something that Jamie Delano's ark, with John (continuously at the mercy of ghosts of old friends, demons, hippies, lay-lines, and even twelve year old girls) being blown about from place to place ...more
Amy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This volume contains the last of Delano’s main run on Hellblazer and I’m honestly just relieved.

Delano’s a man with lots of good ideas but he’s so up his own arse that the resulting story on the page is a mess. Anyone who’s gotten this far will know he has a habit of putting a load of words together to try and sound deep and tortured, but the resulting mess is barely comprehensible.

Despite Delano’s faults as an author I did for the most part enjoy his issues in this volume. It was interesting
Su
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is actually my first introduction to Hellblazer, and my first real look at the character of John Constantine. I would say I enjoy both. Jamie Delano’s run with the series has an almost true crime television approach, which I thought was entertaining but many others find horribly boring and dragging. Honestly, if you’re not the kind of person to watch Crime Watch or anything off the iD channel with your grandparents/elder folk than you can probably skip Jamie Delano’s Hellblazer (Wikipedia ...more
Roy
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Wasnt overly fond of this. Maybe its just the character. I did find that the Delano and Ennis arvs were completely different. They just didnt feel like they should have gone together. I usually love Ennis but I guess this was his early days.
Lewis
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it
First half is largely incoherent, second much better with Ennis taking the helm
Marco
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delano and Ennis at their best. Tremendous read, I can't recommend it enough.
Emily W
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I picked up the first Hellbalzer volume on a whim, and now here I am, some time later, volume 5. Actually, I was first introduced to John Constantine through my dads copies of The Books of Magic, and then a few weeks later I happened upon the first volume and figured hey why not. It took a few more weeks for my parents to approve of me reading Hellblazer, because while I might be able to read just about any book I want, comics are different, because they can show things rather than just describe ...more
Heath Lowrance
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This volume marks the end of Jamie Delano's classic run and the beginning of Garth Ennis'. Delano really goes out on a high note, with a handful of genuinely creepy and disturbing stories that cut right to the heart of John Constantine as a character. We learn a lot about our grubby anti-hero in this one, we see him as a confused and vengeful little boy, we see him as a bitter old man, we even see him in the goddamn womb.

Like my other reviews of these collections, some spoilers follow.

Kate
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the storyline that the Hollywood film Constantine was trying to replicate. Not so much success there but the comic is wondrous in comparison. John Constantine has faced every sort of evil and horror that exists and now he's facing the ultimate horror. First that he's dying of terminal lung cancer and second, and most terrifying, is that he is heading straight to Hell when it does happen. John moves through every stage of grief and reaction to the news as possible for a guy like him but ...more
Abel García Cortina
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jamie Delano has left the building, enter Garth Ennis.

This volume has the final issues that Jamie Delano wrote for Hellblazer, his last issue is particularly creepy and surreal (Dave McKean art helps) and I had to read it a couple of times to understand what had happened. But it's an appropriate end to a great run.

I have to say this, of all the writers that Hellblazer had, Garth Ennis is my favourite. Dangerous Habits is simply one of the best story arcs of Hellblazer.
Luke Meehan
Definitely a graphic collation of two parts, this felt partially intriguing, and partially empty. The inconstancy of Constantine may empathy challenging, and the hollow plot-links forced a lot of connective pressure onto the art, which it only just sustained. I'll be reading more, but with more constrained enthusiasm then when I began this one.
Wombo Combo
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the weirder volumes of Hellblazer because of how it is divided. The front half is the conclusion of Delano's run while the back half is the start of Ennis's. Both of these runs are wildly different in tone, so it's kind of weird to see them paired up with each other, even though it is the same series.

The last few issues of Delano's run are something of a mixed bag, which actually describes the entirety of Delano's Hellblazer work perfectly. It starts with a strange story about
J
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A really curious book as it starts with the conclusion of Jamie Delano's tenure, including his almost mythic ending wherein the magical cad, John Constantine becomes something of a parallel universe hopper and disappears in a magical mystery. But then he comes right back to being the good old dog we know and love with Garth Ennis. Despite being an Englishman, Ennis simply writes Constantine like he's Irish and it shows in his language, turn of phrase, general way of looking at things. In fact, ...more
Clara
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4,5. I am so close to just rate this a straight up five because it was just so freaking good. This volume contained some of the stories I had looked forward to the most: "The Hanged Man"/"The Magus" and "Dangerous Habits" and they were bloody brilliant! (emphasis on bloody)
It was so exciting to read some of these key points in John Constantine's life, despite all the spoilers I had from other sources even (the film, the TV series, "Legends", The New 52, fan fiction, too much time in general
Pratik
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This issue collects the final stories of Delano's fabled run and the first story of Ennis for Hellblazer. These are probably Delano's darkest work as he delves into Constantine's past and shows us how miserable he has really been. And Delano does all that in his typically surreal and horrific style. While Ennis' story is more straight forward that sees Constantine battling lung cancer and trying to manipulate his way out of it. Ennis focuses more on friendship than loneliness and despair but ...more
Rumi Bossche
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The best volume i have read so far. This trade marks the ending of Jamie Delano's run on Hellblazer and starts Garth Ennis his run. Delano's last story is very dark, we got to see some of Johns youth and learn how he becomes The Hellblazer. I have not been the biggest fan of Delano's writing but his finale is great. Its trippy, sad but quality nontheless. Garth Ennis starts his take on Hellblazer with a bang, part of it was used for the Keanu Reeves movie. John gets diagnosed with lung cancer ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Swamp Thing, Vol. 5: Earth to Earth
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 6: Reunion
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 3: The Curse
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 2: Love and Death
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 4: A Murder of Crows
  • Lucifer, Book Two (Lucifer, #2)
  • The Hellblazer, Volume 1: The Poison Truth
  • The Infernal Path (Rat Queens #6)
  • Lucifer, Book Four (Lucifer, #4)
  • Hellblazer: Tainted Love
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 3: Stations of the Cross
  • Coda, Vol. 1
  • Preacher, Book 4
  • Venom, Vol. 1: Rex
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 1: Saga of the Swamp Thing
  • Lucifer, Book One (Lucifer, #1)
  • Justice League Dark, Volume 1: In the Dark
  • The Wild Storm, Vol. 2
Jamie Delano aka A. William James began writing comics professionally in the early 1980s. Latterly he has been writing prose fiction with "BOOK THIRTEEN" published by his own LEPUS BOOKS imprint (http://www.lepusbooks.co.uk) in 2012, "Leepus | DIZZY" in April 2014, and "Leepus | THE RIVER" in 2017.

Jamie lives in semi-rural Northamptonshire with his partner, Sue. They have three adult children and

Hellblazer (New Editions) (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Hellblazer, Volume 1: Original Sins