Start by marking “The Age Atomic (Empire State, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Age Atomic (Empire State, #2)

The Age Atomic

(Empire State #2)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  305 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
The sequel to Empire State – the superhero-noir fantasy thriller set in the other New York.

The Empire State is dying. The Fissure connecting the pocket universe to New York has vanished, plunging the city into a deep freeze and the populace are demanding a return to Prohibition and rationing as energy supplies dwindle.

Meanwhile, in 1954 New York, the political dynamic has
Published March 26th 2013 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Age Atomic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Age Atomic

Josh
The sci-fi pulp feel of THE AGE ATOMIC along with the engaging and unique characters make this a really fun book to read. While different to THE EMPIRE STATE, THE AGE ATOMIC continues some of the themes prevalent throughout its predecessor while maintaining its own identity. I like it when sequels are distinct works in their own right and author Adam Christopher certainly achieves that here.

The impending threat of invasion by a sinister robotic army constructed in the basement of the Atoms For
Michael
The Empire State is dying due to the fissure connecting this reality to New York disappearing. The populace is in a panic, demanding the return of prohibition and rationing of energy. Meanwhile in 1954 New York there has been a dynamic political change. A new group called Atoms for Peace are preparing a robot army for a trans-dimensional invasion. Their goal: total conquest – or destruction – of the Empire State.

Private Investigator Rad Bradley is back in the sequel to Empire State. This time th
Brandon
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Following the events of Empire State, all seemed to be well in both New York and it’s counterpart, The Empire State. However, when we pick things up in The Age Atomic, the fissure is missing and The Empire State is suffering. Plunged into a deep freeze, the citizens struggle to get through each day with what little they have. To make matters worse, the returning Rad Bradley and newcomer Special Agent Jennifer Jones, uncover an underground movement regarding the creation of a robot army.

Things in
Milo (BOK)
Read the original review: http://thefoundingfields.com/2013/04/....

“A wonderful novel, The Age Atomic proves that Adam Christopher can write sequels just as well as anyone. The most fun read of 2013 so far, and one of the best.” ~The Founding Fields

I loved Adam Christopher’s first novel, Empire State, when I first read it back in 2011. It would have made it high on my best of 2011 list as well, but for the fact that Seven Wonders was better. Needless to say, The Age Atomic was one of my most a
Wayne McCoy
Mar 09, 2013 rated it liked it
'The Age Atomic' by Adam Christopher is book 2 of the Empire State series. Like the last book, it had a cool idea and vibe, and I liked it about as much.

Events in 'The Empire State' left a weird rift, called The Fissure, between the Empire State and New York city. It's now 1954 and a mysterious woman named Evelyn McHale is working for a shadowy new group known as Atoms For Peace. Meanwhile, in Empire State, Rad Bradley has been hired to find a missing man. It's not as straightforward as it seems
Ben Babcock
I am so behind on my Angry Robot subscription. It’s bad, guys. I read Empire State 3 years ago, and The Age Atomic came out half a year later. I barely remember the first book—no, that’s a lie; I had entirely forgotten the first book. I remembered exactly none of the characters when Adam Christopher reintroduced them here. But the vague memories that I stir up from reading my review suggest that these two books are fairly disjoint.

If Empire State was a noir mystery built into a pocket universe
Gef
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, scifi
After reading Empire State and walking away with a lukewarm feeling, I was a little hesitant about picking up its sequel, The Age Atomic. The series was so well received by others, and it's a melding of genres I enjoy, I wondered if I just wasn't in the right mood to read something like Empire State. Well, I made sure to wait until I got a hankering for some genre-mashing goodness before picking up The Age Atomic.

The book starts out with Empire State quite literally in the winter of its disconte
Abhinav
Dec 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013-read
You can find the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews the sequel to the excellent 2012 debut Empire State by Adam Christopher.

“Quite simply, this was disappointing in the extreme.” ~The Founding Fields

Reading sequels is often an experience filled with trepidation. They have the ability to annoy, to frustrate, to amaze, to stun beyond expectations. Sometimes they will meet your expectations almost spot on, although that is a rather rar
Tom
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it
The Age Atomic
Written by Adam Christopher
Read by Phil Gigante

The Age Atomic continues where Empire State left off. Some time has passed since the events of Empire State but the fissure has disappeared from the Empire State. Since the fissure in Battery Park is the source of sustenance to The Empire State, the climate begins to edge toward an ice age as time goes on. While this is happening, Rad Bradley uncovers a plot involving robots. On the other side of the fissure in New York City, a mysteri
C.S.
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough wonderful things about this series. I love the setting. I love the Science Fiction noir. I like the crossing of genres and how it feels like I am reading a well written pulp novel. I know Christopher will be leaving this world for a little while but if he ever comes back I am waiting to dive in again. My favorite new author.
Johnathan
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I wasn't thrilled with this one. The first was new and exciting. This one...not so much. I didn't understand the villain's motivations or really anything that was going on in the Empire State. I'm still down to check out Adam Christopher's other robot series.
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suffixpunk
This book was... interesting. I finished it all in one sitting, partially because it was an enjoyable read, partially because I didn't have anything better to be doing at 2 AM. My immediate impression upon finishing is that this book feels like the middle book of a trilogy. I don't know if it's intended to be, although until I randomly saw this on a shelf at the bookstore, I had no idea that Empire State had a sequel. But the ending feels vaguely unsatisfactory, like there's more story to be tol ...more
Marcus
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Age Atomic is set a number of years after Empire State, in 1954, but in the Empire State (the first novel is named after the setting), only a few months have passed. In the The Age Atomic, we meet an old friend from the previous novel, Rad Bradley, who has to deal with a rather dire situation: The Empire State is plunged in a perpetual winter, Captain Carson, who took charge of the Empire State at the end of Empire State has gone missing, chaos is spreading and a mysterious figure known as T ...more
David Harris
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've changed my mind about this book a couple of times reading it, but for me, it came good in the end. It is worth pointing out, though, that it's a bit different from Christopher's Empire State to which it is a sequel.

Like the earlier book, Age Atomic is set in the Empire State, a "pocket universe" that is a twisted copy of 50s New York City, and in New York itself. The hero of Empire State, PI Rad Bradley, returns. He is still living in the back of his shabby office, still walking the mean st
Todd
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
While not as good as The Empire State, the Age Atomic is still an excellent read. We return to Rad Bradley and the Empire State about a year after the events of the first book, and there is a lot going on.

First, the Empire State has lost contact with New York, the Fissure connecting the two vanished, leaving the Empire State slowly turning into a block of ice while earthquakes rack the Pocket Universe. Rad Bradley and Jennifer Jones are trying to keep things together while they are falling apart
Josiah Hawkins
It seems that the empire state can never catch a break. In the first novel they were under the threat of destruction, in Mr. Christopher's sequel to his first book, Empire State, the parallel New York is in trouble once again.

In the second book the fissure connecting New York and the empire state has dissapeared, and this dissapearance has caused the city to go into a deep freeze. This steady decline in temperature will evetually cause everyone to freeze and something needs to be done. Meanwhil
All Things Urban Fantasy
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Adam Christopher created a wholly original world in EMPIRE STATE so I was extremely pleased to get a chance to review THE AGE ATOMIC and I’m happy to say that Christopher doesn’t disappoint.

The second book in his Empire State series takes place in 1954 (a good bit of time after the first), yet in the Empire State only a few months have gone by. Even worse the Empire State has been plunged in to a perpetual winter and Captain Carson – who took over the Empire State at the end of the first book –
Adam
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rattles along at a decent lick with threads weaving and knitting together, and occasionally snapping. Rad Bradley is back, and he's still trying to keep the Empire State safe from harm in whatever way he can. He's surrounded by robots, superhumans and shadowy government agencies; in other words he's caught in the middle, again.

Adam Christopher's Empire State universe is a cracking place to be. Bristling with robots, superheroes and mid-twentieth-century tropes. The locations and characters are b
Damian
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I really wanted to really like this, I did. I've read a number of Adam Christopher books now and I find some are better than others; Hangwire is the best of the lot so far I think, which would make sense with it being his most recent. I liked Seven Wonders a fair bit too though it had a weak ending.

This though, I just don't really like, it's ok perhaps but that's it. It's tepid, neither truly good nor really repellant. The plot ticks on well enough and there's plenty of action and yet at the sam
Ellie Ann
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is fantastic science fiction noir. Adams follows the noir structure strictly, with great results. The story is gritty, mysterious, and engaging. He didn’t add in character arcs like most noirs, but the plot was epic in scope, which is where the science fiction comes in. He blended the genres like a master.

The story follows Rad Bradley and Jennifer Jones as they track down the robot king, each for very different reasons. When they find him they realize that nuclear destruction is imminent, u
Chuck
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got an ARC ebook of The Age Atomic and it's excellent. Best to have read The Empire State first. An intriguing universe has been created by Adam Christopher; it's New York City with a twist, more than a few twists, actually...

The Empire State is the alter ego of a New York City that resembles the one in the '50s or so in our timeline. The Fissure that used to connect the two cities has disappeared, and the Empire State no longer has its energy to keep things going. It's getting very cold.

A rob
Phil
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Adam Christopher has grown as a writer, this is the third of his books I read and his prose, ideas and structure goes from strength to strength. The Age Atomic is a perfect sequel to The Empire State, but where as the first story was contained more to one world, here Adam has spread his wings and has brought in more of events from both worlds. The characters have become more rounded, story arcs that seem to be planned to run and run were opened up, promising a healthy future for both the Origin ...more
Nick
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
If you enjoy novels that mash up their genres, smooshing a range of aesthetics together into a weird whole, then Adam Christopher’s The Age Atomic could be for you. At last count, it combines parallel universes, steampunk airships, superheroes, 50s nuclear paranoia and a noirish private dick together into one bizarre soup.

So, to really strain this metaphor to pieces, how tasty is that soup? Is it the same sickly green as the book cover?

FULL REVIEW: http://www.nickbryan.com/2013/05/the-...
Bruce Mohler
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Despite the fact that this book was about lots of robots early in the Atomic Age, I found this story hard to follow. Some of the "jumps" were bigger than others. At one point, a robot is fighting a ghost in the zeppelin and when the ghost somehow joined Kane I never determined. That made the enjoyment of the story challenging.

There was one typo at location 4434 in the Kindle edition of the book: "appliances" should've been "ambulances".
Michael Underwood
This is Angry Robot’s third novel with Adam Christopher, and his first sequel. Following closely after the end of Empire State, The Age Atomic brings in the world of 50s Atomic SF with references so diverse that I’m sure I missed many of them – taking Christopher’s incarnation of the trope in the novel as the furniture that narrative innovations of the 50s first created.

The Age Atomic is my favorite of Christopher’s works so far – especially due to the characterization throughout.
Jibran
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Atompunk. Gods, I hope Christopher continues this series. Because at the end, when all seemed naught, my heart skipped a beat and broke on the very lat page. That's why I gave the book 5 stars, because at the very end, you feel for the big bad as everything else goes to hell around the main char. I just hope it doesn't end here. :)
Ken Cook
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
PI a la Sam Spade, atomic-powered robots, superhero, Indiana Jonesesque adventurer, a ghost, multiple universes, an alternate earth of the fifties. This was a good read with a lot of action. A little bit along the lines of a MSFT3K movie. Great ending. What's not to like. I am looking forward to another sequel.
Tyrannosaurus regina
Interesting ideas and engaging writing to back them up—I certainly flew through it—but the characterisation fell short for me (which I think is the exact same complaint I had about the first book in the series). I liked the characters well enough, but still don't feel like I know them very well or entirely understand their motivations.
Josie Boyce
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the first book, Empire State. Empire State, is as Star Wars is to The Empire Strikes Back. Stellar follow up with more robot action than you can handle. Rad Bradley is my new favourite PI. Ripping stuff!
Jonathon Crouch
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Very good fun. Possibly too much. I felt a bit overloaded from all the high pace plot. Definitely an improvement on the previous. Like the difference between a nice batman noir to the crisis of infinite earths.
The Sword and Laser: This topic has been closed to new comments. Win Adam Christopher books! 123 273 May 13, 2013 11:57PM
The Sword and Laser: This topic has been closed to new comments. Questions for Adam Christopher 3 65 Apr 29, 2013 11:36AM
  • The Big Reap (The Collector, #3)
  • The Corpse-Rat King
  • iD (The Machine Dynasty, #2)
  • The Dead of Winter  (Cora Oglesby #1)
  • The Rise of Ransom City (The Half-Made World, #2)
  • The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
  • The Rebirths of Tao (Tao, #3)
  • The Rising (The Alchemy Wars, #2)
  • Suited (The Veiled Worlds, #2)
  • Operation Luna (Operation Otherworld, #2)
  • When the Villain Comes Home
  • The Prince of Lies (Night's Masque, #3)
  • Ghosts of War (The Ghost, #2)
  • Frank Sinatra in a Blender
  • Superheroes
  • Sunstone (The Elemental Wars Book 2)
  • The Affair of the Chalk Cliffs (Narbondo, #5)
  • Dead Harvest (The Collector, #1)
Adam Christopher’s debut novel EMPIRE STATE was SciFiNow’s Book of the Year and a Financial Times Book of the Year. The author of MADE TO KILL, STANDARD HOLLYWOOD DEPRAVITY, and KILLING IS MY BUSINESS, Adam’s other novels include SEVEN WONDERS, THE AGE ATOMIC, and THE BURNING DARK.

Adam has also written the official tie-in novels for the hit CBS television show ELEMENTARY, and the award-winning DI

Empire State (2 books)
  • Empire State (Empire State, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49