Start by marking “Scare Me” as Want to Read:
Scare Me

Scare Me

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  307 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
“When did you last Google yourself?”

Wealthy businessman, Will Frost, gets woken in the middle of the night by an anonymous caller, asking him exactly this.

When Will goes online, he finds a website has been set up in his name, showing photographs of the inside of his home, along with photographs of six houses he’s never seen before.

In the first of these strange houses, a gr
Published April 30th 2013 by Exhibit A (first published 2013)

karen
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
spooky-month float:

this is one of the first books from angry robot's new crime imprint, exhibit a, and it is a pretty solid foray into the genre.

number one: i love the title.

number two: i love the synopsis. let's take a moment, shall we?

“When did you last Google yourself?”

Delee
3.5

There IS a lot to love about the book SCARE ME...

An interesting plot:

A wealthy business man is sent on a hunt around the world trying to save his kidnapped daughter- Libby -from a diabolical serial killer. The only way he has a chance of doing this, is to follow a website set up in his name that feeds him addresses one by one where murders have taken place- and find an item left at each scene.

[image error] photo cc0de966-a4ae-4c59-8a2c-61ab8bbaf6cd_zps0hpgjv75.jpg

Interesting likable main characters in peril:

Will Frost-the father
Carla Frost-the mothe
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Please note: I have this great book available for review, to grab your review copy email me at booklovercatlady@gmail.com.

What a really fantastic book! I whizzed through this one being enticed page by page by what was going to be the next phase in a series of horrendously scary events. How far will one family go to save another? Quite a long way it seems!

A young couple have been taken, abducted, gone and a cryptic message alerts a worried Father to what he is required to do if he ever wants to s
Sue
SCARE ME by Richard Parker is a dark psychological/serial killer thriller. This novel reminds me of the movie Se7en, a smart scavenger hunt that would make an exceptional movie. But in this novel we know the killer right from the beginning…and her name is POPPY. But who is POPPY?

Will Frost, the successful CEO of Ingram International in the UK and his wife, Carla, are looking forward to the return of their 19 year old daughter, Libby, from a trip in Thailand with her boyfriend, Luke. Libby is pre
Lisa
This book was an entertaining read but I just could not get into it for some reason the synopsis was excellent & was very gory in parts but for me it just lacked that certain something that pulls the reader in.
The writer is very clever & the pacing moves nicely.
Lee
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Will Frost is a well off businessman, married with a daughter and about to become a grandfather. At 3am one morning Will's mobile rings and a female voice at the end of the phone asks Will if he has ever googled himself. This is the beginning of a very rough ride for Will and his family. Will goes online and finds a website set up in his name, scarily showing the inside of his house and photos of six other houses he has never seen. He is then told that a murder has taken place at the first house ...more
sue
One word Poppy
One name Poppy

The opening chapter was Amazeballs

This put a whole new view on "Lets Google it"

Will Frost is hunting for his kidnapped daughter somewhere around the world.
The daughters name is Libby.

He knows she's been kidnapped by a serial killer so time is of the essence.

The intriguing bit is where is is having to go to a website, his own website by Googling himself and bit by bit he is being lead......
to murder scenes and there he gets to pick up something left for him.

The
Nicki
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seven houses
Seven gruesome murders
Seven chances to save his daughter`s life

Successful business man Will Frost is woken by a midnight caller who asks him a very strange question.

When did you last Google yourself Mr Frost?

When Will goes online,he finds a website has been set up in his name,showing photographs of seven houses including his own.

In the first of these houses a gruesome murder has taken place.

Will is then told that his own family is in danger and the only way to save them is to visit e
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)

Linda Strong
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
WOW! This story line is exceptional! It grabs you by throat and keeps you there for the duration.

We know from the very first page who the antagonist is ... a girl named Poppy. The real question is WHO is Poppy and WHY is she doing what she's doing.

Will and Carla have been happily married for 19 years. They have a daughter, Libby, who is 18 and pregnant. Libby and her boyfriend are on a mini-vacation and Will and Carla will be celebrating their anniversary in just a few days.

When Will gets a pho
Bandit
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Or don't even scare me, I am, after all, a seasoned reader of horror. How about just entertain me. And thus, with the bar considerably lowered, this book still leaves much to be desired. Although, to be fair, it is in no small way attributed the horridly formatted (words are stuck together, chapters aren't properly separated) copy Endeavor publishers offered as an ARC. I, for one, fail to see the logistics of offering previews of marginal fiction in a barely readable form. Aside from that and on ...more
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2013/04/...

Will Frost, the successful CEO of Ingram International in the UK, and his wife, Carla, are excited about the return of their 19 year old daughter, Libby, from a trip in Thailand with her boyfriend, Luke. They’re hoping to spend some time with her, since she’ll soon be having a baby, and surely moving in with Luke, the baby’s father. They’re in the midst of installing a high tech security system in their renovated sixteenth
Shell Baker
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book that I have read by Richard Parker and certainly wont be my last. After hearing this story is actually going to be made into a movie, I couldn't wait to read it. Knowing all good films start from a book, in most cases.

Well I sure has hell wasn't disappointed... OMG what a book and what a film this would make! Scare Me is actually better than I imagined it would be. With one hell of an opening I was hooked.

We have all Googled ourselves haven't we?

The Question is when was t
Michael
Mar 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, net-galley, thriller, 2013
“When did you last Google yourself?” That was what wealthy businessman, Will Frost was asked by an anonymous late night caller. When Will got online, he found a website with photographs of his home along with six other houses he’s never seen before. Within the first house a gruesome murder has already taken place. His family is in danger and the only way to save them is to visit all seven houses, discover their connection before the police discovers him.

First of all, I decided to google Richard
Joanne Robertson
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I will start by saying that this COULD have been an incredible book! The idea behind the plot is attention grabbing and reading it should be highly addictive. Imagine you are watching the 1980s tv series Treasure Hunt but it's being directed by a psychopath- that's how Scare Me felt to me! And when we meet this chilling and terrifyingly evil antagonist whilst committing murder for the first of a series of "clues" I knew that this was unlike any book I had read for a while.

Now most of us have pro
Jamie
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
DISCLAIMER: I received Scare Me as a publisher ARC through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

This review can also be found at The Title Page

Rating: 2 Stars

Before you read my review, I want you to know something about me. I am a very technical person. Things that don't matter to other people mean a lot to me. A lot of the negatives in this review will reflect the technical issues in this book.

It should be mentioned before you read this book that the protagonist and his family live in the
Josh
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fear is motivation in Richard Parker’s SCARE ME, a thriller where the blue collar meets coppery red violence. This gripping and intense story of one man’s plight to save his daughter from her twisted captures pulls no punches.

Will Frost, a wealthy businessman is awoken in the early hours of the morning by a mysterious caller asking if he’s googled himself. From that moment on, life as he knows it ceases to exist with dreams making way for a living nightmare as he travels half way around the wor
Lynn Mccarthy
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will Frost is woken from his sleep by his ringing phone as he listens his worse nightmare is coming true his daughter Libby and her boyfriends have been kidnapped.
Will is instructed to Google himself where he finds pictures of all the rooms in his house , how have they been taken?He gets a flight to the first address he is given and embarks on a series of trips each leading to the next he finds some of his daughters possessions which means she has been there.
This is the first book I have read by
Mieneke
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, crime, thriller
As Exhibit A's first signed title and as one of the launch titles for the imprint, Richard Parker's Scare Me already had some major expectations attached to it. When the news broke in March that the film rights for Scare Me had been acquired by Relativity Media – the people behind Despicable Me, The Social Network, and Paul, to name a few – and they'd contracted Wentworth Miller – he of Prison Break fame – to write the script, expectations, well my expectations anyway, sky-rocketed. So did Scare ...more
Melissa Borsey
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. This was a very interesting psychological thriller. I liked the premise, I liked the scare/gore factor, and I liked Will, the main character who is sent on this around the world scavenger hunt in order to try and get his abducted daughter back. I was not crazy about all the different side stories that just seemed to make the book longer than it had to be and didn't really bring any suspense to the story. All in all, ...more
Nikki-ann
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Richard Parker’s Scare Me is a clever story making use of today’s technological society. With a wealth of technology (computers, the world wide web, GPS etc) to draw upon, the characters are either using it to stay one step ahead or using it to play catch-up. Of course, using technology in a book may make it seem dated in a decade’s time, but right now it’s up-to-date, edgy and a fantastic way of executing a crime thriller.

One or two of the technical aspects/terms did nag at me as they didn’t se
Dee-Cee  It's all about the books
I have to start off by saying I absolutely love the cover of this book. It jumped out at me as soon as I saw it and then I read the synopsis and I knew I had to read this book.

The book got off to a great start and by the end of chapter one I was left sitting wide-mouthed and wondering what the heck was going to happen next. Unlike a lot of books where we have to read through to the end, Scare Me tells us who the antagonist is at the beginning, a girl called Poppy. What we don't know is, who Pop
Elisa
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Endeavour Press!
What an addictive read! I don't know if the author read the critical reviews and fixed the novel, or if the reviewers were discussing a different book. The technical inconsistencies were non-existent - at least to me, I'm not an IT expert, but I'm not computer-illiterate and, while the plot requires some suspension of disbelief, it all made sense. I love treasure hunts and stories involving them. I
Nicki Southwell
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Will Frost is woken in the night by his phone ringing. His worst nightmare is unraveling as he listens. His precious daughter, Libby, and her boyfriend have been kidnapped.

He is instructed to Google himself and this leads him to a website where he finds pictures of all the rooms in his house. How were they taken without their knowledge? Chilling!!

He catches a flight to the first address he is given and embarks on a series of trips with each one leading him to the next. The narration changes thro
Erin
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A tightly plotted thriller which is a cut above much of what I read in the genre. We start with the usual, a wealthy couple (note to self: when you become rich bad things happen to you) learns their pregnant daughter has been kidnapped and Will is sent on a chase throughout the world trying to save her, just as he becomes involved in a string of grisly murders committed by the kidnappers. Wife Carla orchestrates from the home office and is a constant presence. There were a couple of B stories th ...more
Maryann Huber
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My first introduction to Richard Jay Parker was with Stop Me. I thought this was a good read. Scare Me, has surpassed Stop Me. Once again Mr. Parker has taken that which has become so much a part of our world and made it a very unnerving place. Who googles themselves and finds that they have become part of a serial killers revenge filled game. None of us I would hope.

From the beginning until the final ending you will wonder what the connection is, when you get that answer you will hopefully thi
Lisa
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mysteries
The main story line of this book is very good. The plot revolves around Will trying to find his kidnapped daughter. Will is sent on a scavenger hunt set up through an internet website by the kidnapper. Will is sent all over the world and finds many grizzly murder scenes in his wake as he collects what he thinks are personal effects of his daughter. Like I said, this part of the story is very good.

I did not care for the additional storylines that kept popping up in the book. The 6-year-old Tam di
Shannon
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book, a story unlike others I've read.

When your child is at risk would you walk through hell and back to keep them safe?

Following a desperate father willing to sacrifice anything to get his daughter back and back safely.

Adrenaline filled, not holding back on the gruesome details. Hiding away actual facts.

Fish through bodies and crime scenes with the police snapping at your heels and the killer one step ahead trying to keep you moving. You have limited time to get her back before she
Dawn
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Booklover Catlady Publicity and the author who provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book definitely started with the wow factor and ended with it too, with a few "ooh" moments in the middle.
The repetitive notion of "chase-find-chase-find" slowed it all down for me though, which is a real shame.
The characters were a bit flat. I couldn't connect with any of them. I didn't even want to.
The books ends with too many unanswered questions for my liki
Priya
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! what a page turner
"When did you last Google yourself?" This line had me hooked.
The plot revolves around Will,a wealthy businessman,trying to find his kidnapped daughter.The only way is to follow a website which gives him addresses one by one...where grizzly murders have taken place.He is to reach each scene before the police and collect an item apparently belonging to his daughter...left at each scene.
The author does an amazing job of holding on to the suspense...and I had to keep reading t
  • The big shadow's dance to the decay tune
  • Straight Flushed (A Hot Pursuit Novel, #1)
  • The Cambodian Book of the Dead
  • The Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • Keeping Your Spirits Up
  • Winter Wind
  • Weapon of Choice
  • A Swollen Red Sun
  • Promises to Keep (Sabrina Vaughn #3)
  • The Last Whisper in the Dark (Terrier Rand, #2)
  • Misisipi
  • Letters From a Murderer (Finley Jameson & Joseph Argenti #1)
  • The Voynich Cypher (Dr. Stephen Archer Cross, #2)
  • The Vanity Game
  • There Will Be Killing: A Novel of War and Murder
  • Requiem Mass (DCI Andrew Fenwick, #1)
  • Lawless & The Devil of Euston Square: Introducing Campbell Lawless
  • The Bundy Murders: A Comprehensive History
Author of STOP ME - shortlisted for a Specsavers New Blood Dagger Award - and SCARE ME.

SCARE ME has been snapped up by major Hollywood studio, Relativity Media. Wentworth (Prison Break/Stoker) Miller has just completed the screenplay.

His third stand alone thriller STALK ME is due to be published February 2014 (US/Canada) and March 2014(UK) by Angry Robot crime imprint Exhibit A.

He is currently wri
More about Richard Jay Parker

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)