Start by marking “The Black Rabbit” as Want to Read:
The Black Rabbit

The Black Rabbit

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,235 ratings  ·  193 reviews
In this clever picture book, a debut author-illustrator introduces a plucky rabbit and the new companion that he just can’t shake.

Rabbit has a problem. There’s a large black rabbit chasing him. No matter where he runs — behind a tree, over the river — the shadowy rabbit follows. Finally in the deep, dark wood, Rabbit loses his nemesis — only to encounter a real foe! Kid
Published January 22nd 2013 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Rabbit, please sign up.
Emma | everemmareads I think you might be reading a little too much into this. The black rabbit is scary because it is the little rabbit's shadow and the rabbit hasn't…moreI think you might be reading a little too much into this. The black rabbit is scary because it is the little rabbit's shadow and the rabbit hasn't seen or been aware of his shadow before. I'm not really sure how one would accurately describe their own shadow without describing it as black.(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

When you feel lost or scared in life, sometimes the best place to look for help or strength is right beside you.

Someone is following Rabbit. No matter how fast he runs or where he hides, Black Rabbit is always right behind him. Rabbit soon learns that having someone watch your back might not be such a bad thing after all though.

Simple, clean, clear illustrations bring this adventure to life. The soft, pale colors fill the chase with such warmth and focus. Our cute little rabbit hero
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book that will show children that you should face up to your fears.
LitCoachLou
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful new debut picture book by author/illustrator Phillippa Leathers. It begins with wonderful end pages that show a map which has a trail that leads us through the story. It would be a great way for kids to retell the story after hearing it a time or two.
The premise is that, as this adorable little white rabbit emerges from his burrow on a sunny day, he is frightened by an enormous black rabbit. Not knowing it is simply his shadow, he tries to run from it, hide from it and swim
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The little white rabbit suddenly discovers that he is being shadowed by a big, dark, shady rabbit. He wanders all over trying to shake his tail. No luck until he enters the dark forest, but then he's confronted with a more immediate threat.

Bunny survives and isn't even mangled a little. Not a good choice for anyone teaching a preschooler about stranger danger.

Library copy
Jun 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
Perhaps it's just because I'm taking a class on multicultural children's literature and we are encouraged to read all books multiculturally, but this book made me uncomfortable. First of all, the white rabbit is scared of a black rabbit. Yes, yes, it's his shadow but - really? Have we not had enough Trayvon Martin incidents in the news? In the end, even the Fox is scared of the "large and imposing" black rabbit. Yikes. No thank you to sharing this book with young impressionable children, althoug ...more
Heidi
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We picked this one up from the library as part of an attempt to help DD get over her fear of shadows. She loves this book asking to read it over and over, and I think it's helping! She's still afraid, but now wants to wave and say hi to her shadow. Progress! Super cute, great read aloud for toddlers.
Fjóla
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 2 - 6 year olds
A very well crafted book. It suppose it could have been inspired by Bear Shadow, with which it has many similarities, but the surprise ending is clever and transmits a message.
Molly
Pretty adorable book about making an unexpected friend with someone/something that used to be scary.
Benji Martin
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a good one for storytime, but only if you can put up with lots of kids yelling "IT'S HIS SHADOW!!!" The ENTIRE time. Oh man. SHould I have put this under a spoilers tag thingy?
Brittnee
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super cute story with great illustrations.
Emma | everemmareads
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-w-kids
Little e recently discovered her own shadow, so we had a lot of fun reading this tale about a little rabbit who notices his shadow for the first time.
Nadine Jones
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Completely adorable book about shadows. This is the perfect "scary" book for the youngest child, since the reader will know it's Rabbit's shadow, but still empathize easily with Rabbit's fear. And then something truly scary happens! And Rabbit is brave!
Kellee
Reviewed at: http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2013/...

3.5... I keep going back between a 3 and a 4. It is a 3 for me for some reasons and a 4 for others. I really like the ending of the book as I think it is actually quite symbolic (though I wish the rabbit learned the truth). I also enjoyed the chase that took place throughout the book and I think that it would be a great book to read aloud and discuss with children. Okay... talked myself into a 4 :)

When I first read the book, it seemed simple, but the more I read
Lovey Dovey Books
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Philippa Leathers's debut children's book is quite the curious read. The Black Rabbit is a tale of Rabbit who believes he's being followed by a scary black rabbit. Rabbit is indeed afraid of his own shadow, but the catch of the story is that he never realizes that it's his shadow.

The Black Rabbit is show of true imagination and humor. There will definitely be a divide between readers of this story. Younger readers will find no fault with Rabbit being afraid of his shadow, seeing it a
Sharon Tyler
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Black Rabbit by Philippa Leathers is a picturebook that follows one white rabbit with a problem. No matter where he goes, a black rabbit follows him. It is only when the rabbit enters the dark wood that his mysterious companion disappears, but he also finds a much more threatening foe. Thankfully, when the black rabbit reappears he is more friend than foe.

Black Rabbit is a fun story about discovery and friendship. While it might be obvious to readers of all ages that the black rabbit
Rebekah
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Initially, I just picked up this book because it's about a rabbit and I love rabbits, then when I read it I realised how sweet the story was! A poor little bunny terrified of his own shadow because he doesn't realise that it is his shadow. As well as a fun story, it might be good as an introduction in science when studying the topic of light and what happens when light can't get through. I like the way when you are reading the rabbit's thoughts, the font is changed to italics to differentiate be ...more
Jasmine Stocker
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute book about shadows. The author/illustrator does a fantastic job in her illustrations with incorporating the four elements of art. I enjoyed this cute little book because in the end the rabbit and his shadow are now friends and the black rabbit (his shadow) helped his scare off the wolf that was trying to eat him. Happy endings are my favorite.
Mary
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A very fun picture book! Children will guess the identity of the black rabbit long before the poor hero knows what's going on. I love how something frightening becomes the very thing that saves the day. Very engaging illustrations!
Briana
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A simple story about a rabbit that doesn't understand his shadow is not another rabbit. And it kind of freaks him out, until he hides in a shady spot. Eventually it saves him from a wolf. The pictures are SUPER cute, and way cool.
Emily
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
Rabbit is scared of the big black rabbit he can't outrun. (cough his shadow cough). After a run in with a wolf, Rabbit realizes black rabbit has his back. A super fun book for a rabbit or shadow story time.
Busy Mummy
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a great story! Would make a lovely introduction to a session on shadow puppets in the class.

The story just reminds me of when my son first discovered his shadow in the back garden one day, pointing and questioning the black shadowy movement of himself.
Kelly
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rabbit has someone following him, and is very afraid. But is Black Rabbit really mean? I liked the premise of the book, and the illustrations are very good.
Tara Carlisle
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
Great book to use for my Groundhog Day and Shadows Story Time! Afterwards, I am planning to have the children play a match the shadow game on the feltboard.
Peacegal
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fine book for anyone who's ever been stalked by their own "black rabbit."
Alyssa Gudenburr
A very cute book about a Rabbit who is afraid of his shadow. This would make a great storytime book.
Rachel Smith
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was really cute and funny. I feel like this is a book that kids would be yelling out that it's his shadow and super excited.
Heather
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Perfect for my shadow storytime this week :)
Tori
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
A little rabbit comes out one sunny day only to find he's being stalked by a fearful Black Rabbit (his shadow). He can't shake this mysterious figure! What does it want?
I used this one during my October storytimes where I focused on "scary" stories (that weren't really scary...). The kids, of course, know the whole time that the black rabbit is only a shadow, but I read it straight, playing up the rabbit's fear as if I didn't know. This made the children laugh. Afterwards, we had a good di
Thabata
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
The cute illustrations made with watercolor are quite simple in colors and style; yet, its composition is made with the necessary elements to convey beauty and serve the story very, very well. A small rabbit is afraid of the terribly huge black rabbit who decides to follow him around everywhere! The scary tiny white rabbit, albeit running and trembling through most of the book’s pages, learns many lessons throughout his way. The fear of what we don’t understand can be more perilous the thing its ...more
Nicola
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, bunny
First Concepts: Shadows

Miss 4 was very proud that she knew bunny was scared of their shadow. Learning to understand what a shadow is and why it follows you around can be really scary when you're little and she used to get really upset by hers.

Miss 4 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Lucky Ducklings
  • Brief Thief
  • Perfectly Percy
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • I Dare You Not to Yawn
  • Ribbit!
  • Are the Dinosaurs Dead, Dad?
  • How to Be a Cat
  • Open This Little Book
  • How To
  • Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
  • Daisy Gets Lost
  • Crankee Doodle
  • Yoo-Hoo, Ladybug!
  • Open Very Carefully: A Book with Bite
  • Grumpy Goat
  • A Funny Little Bird
  • Count the Monkeys
Philippa Leathers studied graphic design, illustration, and animation, and currently works as a freelance animator and illustrator. The Black Rabbit is her first picture book, while her animation credits include work on the Charlie and Lola and Peppa Pig TV series. She lives in England with her family, a gray tabby cat named Emmi, and two rabbits named Benji and Kiki, who inspired her to write The ...more