Start by marking “I Spy on the Farm” as Want to Read:
I Spy on the Farm

I Spy on the Farm

(Edward Gibbs' I Spy)

Look through each eye-catching spy hole to spot a new farmyard animal!

Down on the farm there are many colorful and noisy animals to spy. Look through the spy hole and use the clues to guess which one is next. Then turn the page to reveal the animal. Watch as young children quickly become engaged in the game — joining in with the animal noises, learning colors, and eventu
Published 2012 by Templar Books

To ask other readers questions about I Spy on the Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Spy on the Farm

KC
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent interactive eye spy book
Sabiha
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
invented literature.
Russell
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Intrigued by the sequel, I Spy Pets, I felt like reading an earlier book from the series would help me gain an understanding into the backstory. Instead I was confronted by more hollow windows into animals' souls. Where the sequel confronted me with images of living beings eager for additional attention and purpose to their existence, here were wretched souls bred for the soul purpose of providing food for their masters. The goat seems to smile, with the cute little bell around its neck. But the eyes ...more
Debbie
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is definitely a colorful interactive book that takes the reader to a farm and asks the reader questions. The questions give hints and the reader guesses what animals they are talking about. The author gives the reader the color of the animal with the beginning letter of the animal. Part of the hint is a cutout circle that displays the eye of the animal. The name of the animal is given in all capital letters. The illustrations were created digitally. The animals take up 3/4 of the page ...more
Asho
My son chose this book from the new picture books shelf at our library. It's a simple book where you guess the animal based on its color and the letter it starts with. My 3-year-old is just starting to get interested in letters and how they begin words, so this hit the mark for him. This is going to sound silly, but all of the illustrations have nice texture (as if they should actually feel fuzzy or feathery). My only complaint is that I wish the pages were a bit more sturdy. It seems like the h ...more
Chinook
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This is a winner - Kait loves farm animals lately and is really into making their noises. This adds in colours, letters and names for baby animals for her to work on. And Maddie for reasons known only to her giggles every time we read the baa baa part.
Vicky McErlean
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great for 2 1/2 years and up. Little ones love guessing the animal. Interactive.
Margaux
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: illustrated, 4th-wall
This book (and I suppose the other books by Gibbs) sticks out to me because of the beautiful illustrations. Talk about jumping out of the page.
Alicia Thompson
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
My almost a year old picked this off the shelf at the library. He loves it. He gets to work on letter sounds. And we love to play I Spy. It's our go to activity while we wait for something.

The attention to detail in this book is exceptional. The pages are very sturdy and thick. And when you turn the page the peephole page imagery lines up perfectly with the previous page.
Diane
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, farm
This is a good read aloud book for preschool storytimes. The only thing that bothers me is that some animals are described as their baby term (e.g., lamb) and others are not (e.g., pig not piglet). I'd rather it was consistent.
John Yelverton
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
It is a simply children's book that had pages cut out to make them guess what's on the next page of the storybook.
Becca
Used in Preschool Farm themed storytime May 24, 2017
Colorado Buck
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
awesome book. for many reasons. storytime for toddlers or preschool. interactive. guess animal by sound, color, or beginning letter of their name.... farm, animals, many uses probable here !!!!
Marti M
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute way to get kids to learn some animal sounds!
Trudi
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book! Each page has a small circle with an eye and you have to guess which animal you spy.
Mely
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
a fun interactive book great for toddlers. we used this as a companion to our farm study week.
Lisa
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like to read this story during daycare visits. I ask the kids to use their best detective skills to figure out what is being spied on. They love it and love being good detectives!
Milton Louie
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Guess the farm animals! B
Miss Sarah
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great toddler and up guessing book about animals on the farm where a circle shows part of an animal and the sound and first letter of the animal. Great fun!
Angie
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Colors, farm animals, farm sounds.
Gabriela
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-tracker
learning farm animals, cool illustrations, kindergarten level
Kelsey Farmer
Copyright-2012
Number of pages-22 pages
Book format-Hardcover
Reading level-Preschool- Kindergarten
Genre-Fiction, toy book
Lit requirement- Engineered
Summary-
This book goes through different animals and uses a way to describe them by the sounds they make and what they look like in just a small window. It uses a small circle to allow for the reader to make a guess of what they animal may be and uses the sound that they make to help make an educated guess. ...more
Scottsdale Public Library
“Interactive” picture books can be hit-or-miss with me, but I really enjoyed reading this book during storytime with toddlers and preschoolers. The cover of the book and half of the pages have a hole cut into them revealing a single animal’s eye. On the page with the hole and eye is a description of an animal starting with the phrase: “I spy with my little eye something that is____” The audience is then given the opportunity to guess what animal it is, and once you turn the page the full animal ...more
Elif
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I spy on the Farm is part of a series of 'I spy' books by Edward Gibbs. An interactive book that features a range of farm animals that children have to guess using the colour and sound clues of that animal whilst looking through the cut out hole. Large vivid illustrations cover the pages and the book finishes with an open ended question asking the reader what can you spy with your little eye?.

I would use this book as a whole class read (in the form of a game) in the Early Years Foundation Stage
Cemeread
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Like other I Spy books by Edward Gibbs this book gives a color clue and a sound clue. I thought the book might be to simple for preschoolers until I opened and saw it also gives a letter clue (begins with). I would have preferred a lower case letter instead of upper case as children see more lower case in print, but I like that as it is read I could substitute the sound of the letter instead of saying the letter. The illustrations are equal to previous I Spy books with the animal being large on ...more
Inma
Jul 16, 2013 added it
Shelves: storytime
This was a lovely surprise that is going straight into my Baby Bloomers story time. I loved the oversize pictures and the simplicity of the book- great to review colors and letters, animals and sounds. The reader has a spread to guess what animal is peeping at them thru a circle and in the next spread you have a full view of the animal looking back at you. The circles are cleverly positioned to capture the animal’s eye to continuously look at the reader. I am already thinking of a fun game of “I ...more
Liz Goble
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, board-book
I introduced this board book to my son today and he read the whole thing to me! He stumbled on the word "and" and made me proud by sounding out "begins". We read it in an ask and answer fashion, with him reading with his finger following under the words, "I spy with my little eye... something yellow that begins with a D. Quack, Quack!" I would respond with the text on the following page, "I'm a DUCKLING." I LOVE this book!
Josie B.
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime, 3s, 4s-5s
I can't wait to use this in storytime with my 3-5 year olds! The reader is given color, sound and initial letter clues to help them guess what animal is on the next page. So many early literacy skills can be highlighted with this book: color names=vocabulary, animal sounds =phonological awareness, initial letter= letter knowledge, bolding of key words=print awareness, and peeking through the spy hole=print motivation. Will let you know how it goes!
librarianemily
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pllnj-review
Gibbs is back again for “I Spy on the Farm”. This is a great introduction to the game “I Spy” as well as to animals on the farm. A hole on alternating pages allows readers to spy ahead to the animal on the next page. Each hole is accompanied with text that starts with “I spy with my little eye something…” and that includes the color of the animal, the letter at the beginning of the animal’s name, and the sound the animal makes. This is a blast to read to toddler and pre-school story-times!
Heather
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a cute book that uses farm animals as a means of playing "I Spy." The cutouts give children a peek at the color, while the verbal clues give them a hint at the letter that is at the beginning of the name of each of the animals. A simple book, young children will enjoy guessing the name of the animals, and will enjoy the illustrations as well.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Say Hello Like This!
  • Do Cows Meow?
  • The Farmer's Away! Baa! Neigh!
  • Blue Goose
  • Little Mouse
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • This Little Chick
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • What Will Hatch?
  • Chicken, Chicken, Duck!
  • Jingle-Jingle
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Hello, Day!
  • Tiptoe Joe
  • Night Light
  • Yoo-Hoo, Ladybug!
  • Get Out of My Bath!
Edward Gibbs studied art in New Zealand and has been working in the creative design business for the last twenty-five years. He lives in London.

Edward Gibbs' I Spy (5 books)
  • I Spy With My Little Eye