Start by marking “Fat Angie” as Want to Read:
Fat Angie

Fat Angie

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  3,820 Ratings  ·  476 Reviews
Her sister was captured in Iraq, she’s the resident laughingstock at school, and her therapist tells her to count instead of eat. Can a daring new girl in her life really change anything?

Angie is broken — by her can’t-be-bothered mother, by her high-school tormenters, and by being the only one who thinks her varsity-athlete-turned-war-hero sister is still alive. Hiding und
Published March 12th 2013 by Candlewick Press (first published March 1st 2013)

Miranda
Sep 20, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
Took a peek at the ending, and if I hadn't already been on the fence about the forced slang and general tone of the book, I would have DNF'd it for the ending.

I am TIRED of books with fat MCs that have the MC losing weight/becoming skinny as part of their happy ending. Happy fat people exist. Fat and happy are not two mutually exclusive states of being.

Do better, authors.
Lisa
Nov 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club
I hated this book. The description was so promising and did not fulfill any of my hopes!

1. Main character Angie is fat. The author reminds you over and over just how fat she is. You do not have a chance to forget that Angie is fat, or learn any other notable characteristics or even discover her personality traits. BOY, IS SHE FAT.

2. Because she is fat, Angie is (naturally!) unable to dress attractively or practice personal hygiene. She is constantly smelly and sweating. She habitually picks at
Melody
Jan 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: alamw13
Issue. Issue. Issue. Issue. This book is stuffed full of issues, what my friend Wendy calls "guidance counselor fiction" I think. Our protagonist is fat, unpopular, bullied, abused, maybe gay, has a lousy relationship with her mom, her brother is adopted and abusive, her sister is missing in Iraq. Lots and lots of slang done in what struck me as an obtrusive manner. If our protagonist hasn't enough issues, no worries! We get secondary characters who include cutters, mean girls, clueless adults. ...more
Ellen Hopkins
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This isn't a perfect book. But it's closer to five stars than four. Great voice. Great message. A wee bit shaky in the very beginning, but it picks up steam quickly. Teens WILL want to read this book.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

2.5 Stars

Fat Angie’s size had made her an outcast for quite some time, but when she decided to slit her wrists in the middle of a pep rally, she REALLY became a target for the mean girls. After her failed suicide attempt, Angie tried to be as invisible as possible – sharing her feelings only through unsent letters to her sister, a soldier who was taken prisoner in Iraq. All that changes when she meets new transfer student, KC Romance,
Jorja
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is something that I enjoyed, and the reviews have had the idea of that since she was fat the resolution of this book was her loosing weight to be happy. But while finishing this book I didn't see that. Yes she lost weight, but it wasn't exactly purposely. She lost the weight (might I add it was never clarified how much she lost, so being she could have lost 10kg or 30kg or less) doing something to help her understand and become happy on her own. I do agree that books with the 'fat mc l ...more
Licha
Mar 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
I almost DNF'ed this book by the end of the first chapter. I probably should have being that I didn't like it, but curiosity as to how it would end kept me reading.

Why I disliked it:

--The book refers to the MC as Fat Angie throughout the whole book. Why? Wasn't the title self-explanatory? Not only does everyone refer to her as Fat Angie but even when Angie is talking about herself she refers to herself as Fat Angie.

--Felt like a rip-off of Stephen King's Carrie. There is probably a bit of fan f
Jay G
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

2.5 Stars

After a failed suicide attempt occurring after her older sister went missing in Iraq, Fat Angie is one of the most hated girls at her school. She tries to become invisible, although mean girl Stacey Ann, won't leave her alone. That's when a new girl, K. C. Romance comes into her life and everything changes.

It bothered me a little bit that the only description we ever got for A
Shelley M.
Lilah
Jun 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Gregory
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is pretty great! The author seems to struggle a bit to "reach the teens" with many (many!) somewhat-slick pop-culture references and slanguage terms, but the human themes are there for anyone to learn from: the difficulty of carrying on loving relationships within a family after the tragedies of divorce and untimely death, how Americans on the home front are the silent sacrifices of our neverending wars on terrorism, how we can be so nasty to overweight people, and how our LGBT and que ...more
Zachary
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Angie is honestly just trying to get by. That's all she wants – to make it through the day as smoothly and quietly as possible. It isn't the easiest thing in the world, especially as most of her school remembers the day she tried to kill herself in the fully crowded gym. Her mum doesn't seem to care that much about anything other than Angie's weight whilst her brother seems to only give a shit when he's able to mock her and her life. It didn't always use to be that way, but things have seriously ...more
Daphne
I feel like I should have loved this book, but I didn't.

Fat Angie has a LGBT, fat protagonist and the book deals with many different issues. From bullying to self harm to Angie dealing with her sister having gone missing in Iraq. I understand why the author wanted to tackle all these problems, but it felt cluttered and like there was too much going on at the same time. I also didn't feel like I could really connect to any of the characters. Angie herself sometimes felt more like a caricatures of
Elise (TheBookishActress)
2.5 stars. This is a sweet book. Actually, it's too sweet. It's so sweet that it comes off as immature.

While Angie is fairly easy to empathize with, all the side characters seem completely flat. Even worse is that the flat side characters aren't supposed to be anything but flat. You're not supposed to sympathize with any characters other than Angie and her love interest. Almost every other character is bad.

I did like that this is a book with a fat main character where she doesn't become incred
Kenya (ReviewsMayVary)
The number of reviews complaining about the Fat Girl Gets Skinny trope are really misleading. Angie doesn't get skinny. And skinniness doesn't lead to her being happy. Angie is a socially awkward (she's got slow processing speed and doesn't read social cues well and can be too literal) who has been chronically bullied by her peers, her brother, and her mom. And she's mourning her sister. Her new friend cuts herself and her old friend is filled with guilt for not standing up for her. There's diso ...more
Lesley
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
With the recent attention of the "We need diverse books" campaign I was really hoping for an amazing book about the struggles of an overweight, questioning teen. I was disappointed...

I felt like the entire book was too much, and not in a good way. Maybe I'm missing the point of the book? But for the narrator to not even be able to call Angie anything else other than "Fat Angie" was too much. The fact that she had a failed suicide attempt IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE SCHOOL, was just too much. The fact
Trevor
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a teen librarian I read a lot of teen fiction. The vast majority of it seems like a marketing campaign rather than a literary effort.

That's why I really appreciate this book. Charlton-Trujillo's prose crackles and her characters feel real. I listened to the audio book and the reader, Angela Dawe, did an amazing job.
Isis
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Fat Angie is about a girl in her freshman year of high school dealing with some difficult stuff. Angie refers to herself as Fat Angie because she thinks that's all there is to her. I should mention trigger warnings for self-harm and suicide, bullying, abuse, and homophobia. Due to all of these reasons, I found it hard to read it at times, but I pushed through it. Despite all the bad stuff, there were sweet moments to balance it out.

There are two lovely characters in this book: KC Romance and Jak
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
An unsolicited Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher for review. Quotes have been pulled from an ARC and may be subject to change.

Angie's life stopped spinning when she hears about her sister the soldier missing in action. Everyone tells her she's gone, even her parents but she doesn't believe that. She's also nicknamed "Fat Angie" and it sticks. When she realizes she's good at basketball, she gets help from her cute neighbour with the kind heart.

It wasn't the best thing to have to
Huda Al-Anbar
Jul 24, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
FAT Angie is overweight, her soldier sister is missing in Iraq, presumed death. FAT Angie tried to kill herself in a pep rally, thereby making herself the target of bullying in her high-school.

This book was full with issues, I mean in the history of teen issues, every single one of them -except anorexia obviously- is in this book:bullying, death of a sibling, divorced parents,LGBT, cutting, adoption, war...ext. all of that in one little book was too much. I didn't care about the characters under
angie
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely fabulous read!! So very touching (painfully at times!), Fat Angie has the kind of heart, soul and kick-ass attitude of the shows it pays homage to throughout the book, Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Freaks and Geeks.

I picked it out purely based on the title, but soon found it spoke to me in much more important ways. Anyone who has ever wanted to prove she is more than just what people think they know about her will hold Fat Angie close to her heart. And anyone who is a sucker
Brittany
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this to be an incredibly moving story. It throbs with Angie's pain...there is just so much this teenager is dealing with....it's almost as if you're holding your breath while you're reading...waiting for her to implode.

Angie's sister is her idol, and she's MIA in Iraq. She had attempted suicide. She's severely overweight. She's bullied in a constant and HORRENDOUS manner. And she might be gay. Holy crap.

But her spirit, it keeps you turning the pages. I don't want to give away the plot.
Ana
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2014

Too speechless to say anything more substantial at the moment. Just yes. Good book. Great book. Yes.

EDIT: The only thing that irked me about this book is that somewhere near the end several female characters say something along the lines of "I'm not so one-dimensional, you know!" to which our heroine pretty much responds with "I can't believe I thought she was so one-dimensional!" which I found kind of clumsy. I just think it could have been handled better. Otherwise, I'm still thrilled wit
B.A. Wilson
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The words just rolled across my skin and through my mind in a way that was sometimes so beautiful and other times so painful. This book is about struggling with identity, and it covers many heavy topics. The prose is lyrical and full of voice.

Pages: 272
Carrie Gelson
Whoa, what isn't going on in this book? Somehow, though, it mostly works although some of the "cool teen speak" irked me. Is this really cool teen speak? But some powerful pages for sure.
Eve
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Angie or as she's known at school, fat Angie, put on weight after her sister at eighteen suddenly joined the army and now is missing presumed dead meanwhile her family fell apart as her dad moved out leaving her with her mum and brother Wang who has turned into a criminal and been in major trouble.
Also, Wang's therapist is dating their mum.

At school, Angie isn't popular and so when new girl KC starts to hang around with her she can't believe it as well as one of the most popular jocks in school
Casey
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, lgbt
I'm in a reader's slump... :/

Look how long it took me to finish this book.

While this had a promising start it feels like the author wanted to tell about five different stories, but in the end really didn't tell any of them. Angie has the worst family (apart from her older sister) and goes to teenage hell high, there are so many side characters and issues that it's hard to even see the main storyline.

This is a book that focuses on an over weight teen but states it too much. While I think the cha
Ava
Jun 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is, hands down, the worst book I have ever read. If I could, I would rate this zero stars. It's bad to the point that it's comical, I wanted to vomit reading this. As part of the LGBT community, I'd like to say that this is not a good book to read if looking for representation. Not only is there one unrealistic plot, there are eight (I counted)! There are parts in it that hint to it being pro- Iraq war! WHAT?
This book is a disgrace to mankind, a crime against God. Why would anyone in their
Katelyn Patterson
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I, unfortunately, listened to the audiobook and it wasn't great. However, I really liked this story. Great portrayal of a narcissistic parent (mother) and how her actions can cause problems for children.
Sara
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I totally don't agree with other reviews on GR that this book pushes a narrative that only losing weight can lead to happiness. I don't see that at all in this book.

I thought this book had strong dialogue and a unique main character with an interesting, and sometimes strange, brain.

A little bit over dramatic / over the top in some places, but generally enjoyable.
  • Branded by the Pink Triangle
  • Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass
  • Happy Families
  • Beautiful Music for Ugly Children
  • Pieces
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Putting Makeup on the Fat Boy
  • Imperfect Spiral
  • Freakboy
  • OCD, the Dude, and Me
  • Sister Mischief
  • Starting from Here
  • The Sin-Eater's Confession
The author/filmmaker deemed rockstar and Wexican (Whitest Mexican American) by the kids she meets won the prestigious Delacorte Dell Yearling Award and Parents' Choice Silver Honor for PRIZEFIGHTER EN MI CASA. FEELS LIKE HOME received critical praise, but it was FAT ANGIE that generated The New York Times Bestselling Author buzz from Gregory Maguire and Ellen Hopkins. Nominated for Best Fiction fo ...more
More about E.E. Charlton-Trujillo