Start by marking “Fat Angie” as Want to Read:
Fat Angie

Fat Angie

(Fat Angie #1)

Her sister was captured in Iraq, she’s the resident laughingstock at school, and her therapist tells her to count instead of eat. Can a daring new girl in her life really change anything?

Angie is broken — by her can’t-be-bothered mother, by her high-school tormenters, and by being the only one who thinks her varsity-athlete-turned-war-hero sister is still alive. Hiding und
Published March 12th 2013 by Candlewick Press (first published March 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Fat Angie, please sign up.
J The book does deal with a public suicide attempt, cutting, and briefly with psychiatric hospitalization/a really crappy therapist. Also a good deal of…moreThe book does deal with a public suicide attempt, cutting, and briefly with psychiatric hospitalization/a really crappy therapist. Also a good deal of emotional and physical abuse from her mother and peers. The narrative of Angie overcoming these issues is super empowering, but the descriptions are pretty real. If you find any of these topics triggering, you may want to proceed with caution.(less)
J What a good question. I assumed it was a play on words as you suggested - to me that doesn't seem out of character with this novel at all. Guessing OP…moreWhat a good question. I assumed it was a play on words as you suggested - to me that doesn't seem out of character with this novel at all. Guessing OP is not a huge fan of queer folx, but we exist regardless. :)

I think more than anything, Angie was exploring her identity. It seemed that she had never considered being attracted to women- or anybody for that matter- or that another person could be attracted to her. I feel like maybe gay-girl-gay was a more comfortable term for her to express these new feelings than identifying as bi, lesbian, queer, etc right off the bat. It's a journey to get to the labels that feel right to you, and Angie was just beginning that journey.

Of course this is just my speculation from growing up as a queer girl in a small Ohio town and getting bullied similar to Angie, so this may just be a projection of my own experience. The author is actually pretty active on Instagram so this would be a really interesting question to ask her!(less)

Start your review of Fat Angie
Lisa
Nov 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club
I hated this book. The description was so promising and did not fulfill any of my hopes!

1. Main character Angie is fat. The author reminds you over and over just how fat she is. You do not have a chance to forget that Angie is fat, or learn any other notable characteristics or even discover her personality traits. BOY, IS SHE FAT.

2. Because she is fat, Angie is (naturally!) unable to dress attractively or practice personal hygiene. She is constantly smelly and sweating. She habitually picks at
Miranda
Sep 20, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
Took a peek at the ending, and if I hadn't already been on the fence about the forced slang and general tone of the book, I would have DNF'd it for the ending.

I am TIRED of books with fat MCs that have the MC losing weight/becoming skinny as part of their happy ending. Happy fat people exist. Fat and happy are not two mutually exclusive states of being.

Do better, authors.
Melody
Jan 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: alamw13
Issue. Issue. Issue. Issue. This book is stuffed full of issues, what my friend Wendy calls "guidance counselor fiction" I think. Our protagonist is fat, unpopular, bullied, abused, maybe gay, has a lousy relationship with her mom, her brother is adopted and abusive, her sister is missing in Iraq. Lots and lots of slang done in what struck me as an obtrusive manner. If our protagonist hasn't enough issues, no worries! We get secondary characters who include cutters, mean girls, clueless adults. ...more
Ellen Hopkins
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This isn't a perfect book. But it's closer to five stars than four. Great voice. Great message. A wee bit shaky in the very beginning, but it picks up steam quickly. Teens WILL want to read this book.
Jorja
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is something that I enjoyed, and the reviews have had the idea of that since she was fat the resolution of this book was her loosing weight to be happy. But while finishing this book I didn't see that. Yes she lost weight, but it wasn't exactly purposely. She lost the weight (might I add it was never clarified how much she lost, so being she could have lost 10kg or 30kg or less) doing something to help her understand and become happy on her own. I do agree that books with the 'fat mc l ...more
Shelley Pearson
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

2.5 Stars

Fat Angie’s size had made her an outcast for quite some time, but when she decided to slit her wrists in the middle of a pep rally, she REALLY became a target for the mean girls. After her failed suicide attempt, Angie tried to be as invisible as possible – sharing her feelings only through unsent letters to her sister, a soldier who was taken prisoner in Iraq. All that changes when she meets new transfer student, KC Romance,
Licha
Mar 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
I almost DNF'ed this book by the end of the first chapter. I probably should have being that I didn't like it, but curiosity as to how it would end kept me reading.

Why I disliked it:

--The book refers to the MC as Fat Angie throughout the whole book. Why? Wasn't the title self-explanatory? Not only does everyone refer to her as Fat Angie but even when Angie is talking about herself she refers to herself as Fat Angie.

--Felt like a rip-off of Stephen King's Carrie. There is probably a bit of fan f
Reviews May Vary
The number of reviews complaining about the Fat Girl Gets Skinny trope are really misleading. Angie doesn't get skinny. And skinniness doesn't lead to her being happy. Angie is a socially awkward (she's got slow processing speed and doesn't read social cues well and can be too literal) who has been chronically bullied by her peers, her brother, and her mom. And she's mourning her sister. Her new friend cuts herself and her old friend is filled with guilt for not standing up for her. There's diso ...more
Maan
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-aty-52
I wouldn't have picked this up myself but this was a gift and the book's tone reminded me of the giver. I didn't like the last part because I disagree that she should be the one to apologize.
Lilah
Jun 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Jay G
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

2.5 Stars

After a failed suicide attempt occurring after her older sister went missing in Iraq, Fat Angie is one of the most hated girls at her school. She tries to become invisible, although mean girl Stacey Ann, won't leave her alone. That's when a new girl, K. C. Romance comes into her life and everything changes.

It bothered me a little bit that the only description we ever got for A
Gregory
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is pretty great! The author seems to struggle a bit to "reach the teens" with many (many!) somewhat-slick pop-culture references and slanguage terms, but the human themes are there for anyone to learn from: the difficulty of carrying on loving relationships within a family after the tragedies of divorce and untimely death, how Americans on the home front are the silent sacrifices of our neverending wars on terrorism, how we can be so nasty to overweight people, and how our LGBT and que ...more
Ava
Jun 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is, hands down, the worst book I have ever read. If I could, I would rate this zero stars. It's bad to the point that it's comical, I wanted to vomit reading this. As part of the LGBT community, I'd like to say that this is not a good book to read if looking for representation. Not only is there one unrealistic plot, there are eight (I counted)! There are parts in it that hint to it being pro- Iraq war! WHAT?
This book is a disgrace to mankind, a crime against God. Why would anyone in their
Danika at The Lesbrary
To be honest, I found this a little bit exhausting to read. Angie is so isolated, and she faces a wall of relentless harassment. There are small moments of connection and support--the gym teacher, Jake (Angie's neighbour)--but they are muted and far between. Even the romance isn't an entirely happy one. I wasn't expecting this to be fluffy, but it far exceeded how dark I was prepared for it to be. I will be picking up the sequel as well, but I will cross my fingers that there's a little more hop ...more
zachary
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Angie is honestly just trying to get by. That's all she wants – to make it through the day as smoothly and quietly as possible. It isn't the easiest thing in the world, especially as most of her school remembers the day she tried to kill herself in the fully crowded gym. Her mum doesn't seem to care that much about anything other than Angie's weight whilst her brother seems to only give a shit when he's able to mock her and her life. It didn't always use to be that way, but things have seriously ...more
Daphne
I feel like I should have loved this book, but I didn't.

Fat Angie has a LGBT, fat protagonist and the book deals with many different issues. From bullying to self harm to Angie dealing with her sister having gone missing in Iraq. I understand why the author wanted to tackle all these problems, but it felt cluttered and like there was too much going on at the same time. I also didn't feel like I could really connect to any of the characters. Angie herself sometimes felt more like a caricatures of
Gillian
Dec 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Elise (TheBookishActress)
2.5 stars. This is a sweet book. Actually, it's too sweet. It's so sweet that it comes off as immature.

While Angie is fairly easy to empathize with, all the side characters seem completely flat. Even worse is that the flat side characters aren't supposed to be anything but flat. You're not supposed to sympathize with any characters other than Angie and her love interest. Almost every other character is bad.

I did like that this is a book with a fat main character where she doesn't become incred
Trevor
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a teen librarian I read a lot of teen fiction. The vast majority of it seems like a marketing campaign rather than a literary effort.

That's why I really appreciate this book. Charlton-Trujillo's prose crackles and her characters feel real. I listened to the audio book and the reader, Angela Dawe, did an amazing job.
Emily Carr
Jun 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
If I could give this 0 stars I would
Lesley
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
With the recent attention of the "We need diverse books" campaign I was really hoping for an amazing book about the struggles of an overweight, questioning teen. I was disappointed...

I felt like the entire book was too much, and not in a good way. Maybe I'm missing the point of the book? But for the narrator to not even be able to call Angie anything else other than "Fat Angie" was too much. The fact that she had a failed suicide attempt IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE SCHOOL, was just too much. The fact
angie
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely fabulous read!! So very touching (painfully at times!), Fat Angie has the kind of heart, soul and kick-ass attitude of the shows it pays homage to throughout the book, Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Freaks and Geeks.

I picked it out purely based on the title, but soon found it spoke to me in much more important ways. Anyone who has ever wanted to prove she is more than just what people think they know about her will hold Fat Angie close to her heart. And anyone who is a sucker
Huda Al-Anbar
Jul 24, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
FAT Angie is overweight, her soldier sister is missing in Iraq, presumed death. FAT Angie tried to kill herself in a pep rally, thereby making herself the target of bullying in her high-school.

This book was full with issues, I mean in the history of teen issues, every single one of them -except anorexia obviously- is in this book:bullying, death of a sibling, divorced parents,LGBT, cutting, adoption, war...ext. all of that in one little book was too much. I didn't care about the characters under
Jenni Frencham
This is another one of the books where the teen girl, who has no backbone, grows a spine and decides to do something with herself, including taking on her stereotypical mother who could hardly care less about her.

I enjoyed this story. I definitely appreciated the LGBT twist on the love story. I loved that Angie used basketball as a way to honor her sister, and that her focus on basketball eventually superseded her love of junk food.

Because of the LGBT angle, the teen girls becoming themselves
Ana
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2014

Too speechless to say anything more substantial at the moment. Just yes. Good book. Great book. Yes.

EDIT: The only thing that irked me about this book is that somewhere near the end several female characters say something along the lines of "I'm not so one-dimensional, you know!" to which our heroine pretty much responds with "I can't believe I thought she was so one-dimensional!" which I found kind of clumsy. I just think it could have been handled better. Otherwise, I'm still thrilled wit
Brittany
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this to be an incredibly moving story. It throbs with Angie's pain...there is just so much this teenager is dealing with....it's almost as if you're holding your breath while you're reading...waiting for her to implode.

Angie's sister is her idol, and she's MIA in Iraq. She had attempted suicide. She's severely overweight. She's bullied in a constant and HORRENDOUS manner. And she might be gay. Holy crap.

But her spirit, it keeps you turning the pages. I don't want to give away the plot.
B.A. Wilson
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The words just rolled across my skin and through my mind in a way that was sometimes so beautiful and other times so painful. This book is about struggling with identity, and it covers many heavy topics. The prose is lyrical and full of voice.

Pages: 272
Katelyn Patterson
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I, unfortunately, listened to the audiobook and it wasn't great. However, I really liked this story. Great portrayal of a narcissistic parent (mother) and how her actions can cause problems for children.
Edward Sullivan
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
A classic "problem novel" laden with issues but the author has a fabulous prose style and a real gift for creating memorable characters and snappy dialogue.

• Beautiful Music for Ugly Children
  • October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard
  • The Summer I Wasn't Me
  • Gabi, a Girl in Pieces
  • Girls Like Us
  • One Man Guy (One Man Guy, #1)
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
  • Parrotfish
  • Tessa Masterson Will Go to Prom
  • None of the Above
  • Everything Leads to You
  • How to Lose Friends and Alienate People
  • Lies My Girlfriend Told Me
The author/filmmaker deemed rockstar by the kids she meets won the prestigious Delacorte Dell Yearling Award, Parents' Choice Silver Honor, National Council For The Social Studies Notable Book and the NY Public Library List for Teens for PRIZEFIGHTER EN MI CASA. FEELS LIKE HOME received critical praise, but it was FAT ANGIE that generated buzz from The New York Times Bestselling Author Gregory Mag ...more

Fat Angie (2 books)