Start by marking “Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass” as Want to Read:
Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass

Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  7,585 Ratings  ·  992 Reviews
In Meg Medina's compelling new novel, a Latina teen is targeted by a bully at her new school - and must discover resources she never knew she had.

One morning before school, some girl tells Piddy Sanchez that Yaqui Delgado hates her and wants to kick her ass. Piddy doesn't even know who Yaqui is, never mind what she's done to piss her off. Word is that Yaqui thinks Piddy i
Published March 26th 2013 by Candlewick

Saleh MoonWalker
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Onvan : Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass - Nevisande : Meg Medina - ISBN : 763658596 - ISBN13 : 9780763658595 - Dar 272 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 2013
Ken
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, finished-in-2013
Talk about a provocative title! YAQUI DELGADO WANTS TO KICK YOUR ASS grabs teen readers' attention in a hurry. As you might infer, it is a book about bullying -- not "another" book about bullying, but "a" book about it. Meaning? I think it stands above the others I've read. Strong, strong characterization. And, in a book curiously devoid of male characters (spare two minor players), Medina's book speaks to the power of women, especially when they work together.

The protagonist here is Piddy Sanch
Tabitha Olson
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was offered an ARC of this book for review months ago, but I declined because of the subject matter. I wasn’t sure I could read the story objectively, and I was afraid it was going to be unrealistic. Having finally read it, I discovered I was right about one thing and wrong about the other: I *did* have a hard time reading it objectively, but that’s because the story is so very realistic. I was emotionally sucked in, and sympathized with Piddy in a visceral way.

Bullies don’t always have a rea
Lara
I liked this, but...don't totally understand all the rave reviews. I never quite managed to connect with Piddy or any of the other characters, and while I can certainly get behind the message (bullying = bad), I can't help wishing there was a little more depth here. Or something. I never really felt anything while reading this--not Piddy's fear of Yaqui, not the weirdness in her relationships with Mitzy and Joey, not her anger with her mother...it seemed to me like I was constantly told about th ...more
Beth Knight
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I first learned about this book on YouTube a few months ago. The title alone intrigued me so I knew I had to read it. This is one of those books every parent and teacher should read, as it's about bullying. The book is timely in that we hear stories about bullying daily, even among adults, so I think this book, the story, and the character of Piedad (Piddy)Sanchez, the narrator and protagonist, is relatable and real. While the bullying is a big part of the story, there are other elements and the ...more
Rose
I'll admit I was sold to Meg Medina's "Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass" for the strength of the title alone. On one hand it makes you want to laugh for the audacity of the words and the implied voice, and on another it makes you consider the meaning and think "Uh oh." This is the story of Piddy, a tenth grade (15-16 year old) Latina girl who has to deal with a myriad of different issues. The story focuses on establishing her life - her family, friends, school - and there's a refreshing qual ...more
Vitor Martins
Esse é um livro bem rápido e fácil de ler, e o tema principal é bullying. De todas as histórias que já li a respeito desse tema, essa talvez seja a mais "acreditável".
A realidade da escola pública, a reação da diretoria da escola em relação ao bullying que acontece ali dentro e a resolução final da história, tudo isso é bem próximo do que acontece na vida real.

Meu problema com o livro foi a falta de profundidade no tema. Os abusos e o sofrimento são pouco explorados e a Piddy é uma protagonist
Jamie
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oooh, I really liked this one!

I've been thinking a lot about my frustration with my teen students--why don't they care about x? Why does it take them so long to do y? All of this is classroom stuff, of course, and those questions make me realize that I am very firmly AN ADULT and that I quite often lose touch with adolescent perspectives. In that sense, this was the perfect book for me to read.

I read YA because it helps me... to remember the turmoil of adolescence; to feel again that sense of
Kelly
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
2.5.

When Piddy moves to a new school, she learns a girl named Yaqui Delgado wants to kick her ass. Why? It's never clear. There's rumors maybe Piddy's walking with too much sass at school or that she wants to get with Yaqui's boyfriend. But the rumors don't matter much when Yaqui acts on her threat, someone records the fight, and everyone's seen Piddy get her ass kicked (half naked, which was even more humiliating).

This is more than a bullying story, though. It's also about family, as Piddy disc
April
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
With a title like ‘Yaqui Delgado Wants To Kick Your Ass’, Meg Medina totally has my attention. Seriously, I love the swears and so when a title has a cuss word in it, I pay attention to it. Good thing that I did, because I feel that Medina’s latest is a book to pay attention to. It treads familiar territory with bullying being the main thrust and theme. Medina’s story has a message, but not one that feels like we are just beating a dead horse. It’s about staying true to yourself and not letting ...more
bjneary
I re-read this book as part of the 2014 Hub Challenge. I am so happy to see it continues to garner awards like The YALSA Quick Picks and The 2014 Pura Belpre Award Winner!!!Thanks to Rory and the Goodreads Group, YA Reads For Teachers (And Any Other Adults) for this MUST read book, Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick your Ass by Meg Medina. From the first sentence, “Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick your Ass” (just like the title) to the last sentence, “And I’ve found my rhythm at last-strong and simple, cons ...more
Emily
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I haven't worked in a public school in many years, but this struck me as a realistic portrayal of bullying. It doesn't end with the kind of resolution I cheer for in the movies, where the bullied triumphs over the bully in a dazzling display of genius, talent or newly developed ninja skills. But I was happy with how it was resolved. (view spoiler)
Sue
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
WOW!!!! This book exceeded my expectations - it was honest and courageous. I kept expecting everything to turn out alright and no one to get hurt but that wasn't the case and yet ultimately it was a hopeful book. One of those that teachers and others who work with youth should read as a reminder of the safety net various adults play in the lives of kids. I stayed awake to finish this book and then couldn't fall asleep it effected me so strongly. Meg Medina - you rock!
Wendy
Apr 30, 2013 added it
An absolutely amazing book - to call it a "bully" book seems almost unfair because the character development is so far beyond a basic issues book. Medina takes readers on one girl's devastating decline when she becomes the target of a fearsome girl and holds us on the edge, showing both her inner and outer transformations.
Riley Redgate
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommend, aoc
this book is packed with vibrant, varied female characters and is a remarkable slice of life. wonderful audio performance, too.
Sherry
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
read this one in 1 day... the story of bullying is saddening and oh so realistic for so many of our students. A must read for HS students and teachers alike.
Rachel
review to come soon... :) I loved the book though!
Aryn
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Yaqui Delgado wants to kick your ass," is what Piddy Sanchez is told, in the very first line of this moving novel about bullying. This is news for Piddy, she doesn't even know who Yaqui is. Turns out, Yaqui thinks that Piddy's stuck up, because of her good grades, lack of "Latina" attitude, and she shakes her butt when she walks. I love this premise because it shows exactly how inane the reasons are for a particular teen to be singled out of the crowd and bullied to, really, the end of their ro ...more
Carolina
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally published at: A Girl that Likes Books

First impression

If you listen to the Book Riot podcast like me you have probably heard about how amazing Meg Medina is and how this book is delightful. If you are from Latino origin, like me you are going to smile without knowing it at most of the passages making reference to Piddy’s roots. A small book of under 300 pages that carries a lot of punch, huge amount of feelings and a great story about bullies.

Final thoughts

What happens when as a parent
Shannon
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I don't read too much YA, but I stumbled upon Meg Medina's blog when I was looking for authors in the area with upcoming books and it feels like such a happy accident.

Piddy Sanchez doesn't know much about the students at her new school, but she finds out rather quickly that Yaqui Delgado wants to kick her ass. She's not sure why, though she thinks it has something to do with a boy. Soon Yaqui's threat is tumbling through Piddy's life, impacting the relationships she has with her mother, teacher
Kate
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-challenge
I loved this book. Loved. Even though it's about a latina teen trying to find her place in a new school- the story itself is universal and so many kids (and adults) can relate. Everyone has those moments where they don't fit in and too many kids find themselves in situations where they are the target of a bully. Piddy is forced to just try to survive every day without being physically and mentally assaulted, and the rest of her world begins to spiral out of control.

Medina does a great job showi
Sara
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really admire when a book uses devices that in less able hands would be cliches, but manages to transcend those to cliches into something more original and true. This is a book about bullying, father issues, and about characters not telling each other what they know - three things that I have seen many times in other books, but in the hands of Meg Medina, these themes and tropes are presented in a unique and authentic way.

Almost sixteen year old Piddy Sanchez is transferred to a new school at
Rich in Color
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Right from the get-go, I loved this book. It starts out with a memorable opening line — “Yaqui Delgado wants to kick your ass” — and keeps right on to the end without losing momentum. Piddy Sanchez tells her story with a unique, genuine voice. The immediacy of the narrative kept me hooked for the two hours it took for me to finish the book.

I love funny books of any kind, so this book was right up my alley in terms of humor. At the same time, it deals with pretty serious subjects — bullying and,
Jenni Frencham
Deah
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I listened to this book on my commute to work over the past week, and I'm really glad I listened to it, as it was nice hearing the blend of English and Spanish words as Piddy and her mother and friends talk to each other. Even if you don't know much Spanish, you can figure them out via context.
The story itself is basically about being bullied, even stalked and terrorized by a gang of tough girls at school, a problem that even follows Piddy to work and to her home. As a result, her schoolwork su
Crowinator
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

I can think of few novels that I'd want to read less than a contemporary novel about a Latina teen struggling to cope with being bullied at her new school (it doesn't help that the title is horrible), but this is one of those times when I'm glad for assigned reading. It's so rare that a book like this manages to be so straight-forward without getting didactic; so authentic about the claustrophobic, trapped feeling of being bullied without painting a hopeless picture or
Miranda
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I keep waffling on how I feel about this one. It was difficult to read for obvious reasons, but that didn't hinder how good it technically was. I do like the focus on the community of women who help each other out and the relationship between Piddy and her mother.

But I didn't like one huge part of the conflict between her and her mother. If you have not one but two women telling you that your father was scum and, on the whole, everyone in your community agrees and sympathizes with your mother...
Osmara Rico
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The main character in the Story is a girl named Piddy Sanchez. Piddy has to move to a new house and a new school. In her new school, she meets Yaqui Delgado. Yaqui Delgado wants to take advantage of Piddy, just because Yaqui hates the way Piggy walks. This is a great history that deals with bullying. Now it is more common to hear about bullying, but most victims never talk about it. This book teaches us to never be silent and to stop bullying. I recommend this book to young people who are going ...more
Brenda Kahn
Loved, loved, loved this debut, which came highly recommended by my sister Barb. Loved the voice, loved the realism, loved the fact that teachers weren't portrayed as inept buffoons, but overworked folks doing the best that they can.
Christine
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
A solid book on the horrors of bullying. Watching Piddy transform from her good-girl roots to lurking in a dark place because of what was done to her was heart wrenching. An interesting look at Latina culture in schools as well. A good, quick read.
  • Gabi, a Girl in Pieces
  • Golden Boy
  • This Side of Home
  • X
  • Niño Wrestles the World
  • Living with Jackie Chan (Jumping Off Swings, #2)
  • Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets
  • Black Helicopters
I'm Meg Medina, Latina author of libros for kids of all ages. I'm about strong girls, tough circumstances, and the connecting power of culture. I am the author of several picture books, middle grade books, and young adult novels, including Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass, which is currently being optioned for Hulu.

I have been honored with the Pura Belpré award twice, an Ezra Jack Keats award
More about Meg Medina...

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (The Adrian Mole Series)
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“You know where this Yaqui girl is going to be in a few years if she doesn't change? She'll still be there, same as always in her old neighborhood--a nobody with nothing. And guess what? That's her worst fear.” 5 likes
“It was Ma who first noticed my body changing, but she wasn't exactly tactful about my getting cuerpo. "Put on a bra already, Piddy," she said after she noticed a man on the bus gawking at my chest one day. "You can't go around with two loose onions in your shirt for all the boys to stare at," she snapped, like it was my fault that the man had helped himself to the show.” 3 likes