Start by marking “I Dare You Not to Yawn” as Want to Read:
I Dare You Not to Yawn

I Dare You Not to Yawn

Just try to resist this comical — and infectious — cautionary fable that will have even bedtime-avoiders gladly snuggling up for a nightly challenge.

Published March 12th 2013 by Candlewick Press

Start your review of I Dare You Not to Yawn
Sherry
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another most awesome book to add to your read out loud group! With its leading verses opening to engage the reader, to the very end of pointing out the inevitable, this title will have children and adults laughing and enjoying a quite delightful story.
Irina
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute book! Got me yawning as I was reading it! Great book for bedtime when the kids won't settle down. Now I need a nap. :)
Jeremy
4 stars because of how the girls enjoyed it.
Dianna
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story is cute, although I don't care for the illustrations.
Becky
First sentence: Yawns are sneaky. They can creep up on you when you least expect them. There you are, minding your own business, building the tallest block tower in the history of the universe or dressing up the cat when suddenly...

Premise/plot: A boy warns little ones of the dangers of yawning. Yawns lead to being sent to put on pajamas, pajamas lead to being read to, being read to leads to being sung to, being sung to leads to being hugged and kissed, and...

Before you know it, you're tucked
Luisa Knight
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super fun!

Ages: 3 - 7

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Sadia Mansoor
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Yawns are like cold. They spread. :D

Adorable book about a little boy, who is afraid to yawn, because every time he yawns, he's sent to bed. ^_^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PrbI...
Crystal
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this will work for a sleepy/nap time themed storytime but I don't know if I'll be able to read it to the kids without yawning. Because I definitely just yawned while I was reading it. Though I'm guessing the kids will just find it really funny if the book makes me actually yawn.
Kate
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I should buy this for myself and read it every night before bed.
Joel Hopkins
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I dare you not to yawn was a funny, and engaging book. Not necessarily a multi-faceted book to dig your teeth into but a light hearted tale that even the youngest children could enjoy.
Ivy
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Honestly, mama and I yawned, like, 10 times each reading this book! :D :D
Carol
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Never let you mom see you yawn or it will lead to pajamas and bedtime stories and songs and goodnight kisses. So if you're not ready for all of that be sure to follow the simple instructions laid out in this book. I dare you not to yawn as you read this to your little ones. Who knew yawns were contagious from illustrations and text as well as in person? Trying not to yawn when you are reading a book all about yawning is so much easier said than done. This is sure to brings smiles (and yawns) to ...more
Angie
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I dare you not to yawn while reading this book. Really. I dare you.

** Please support your local independent bookstore when buying this book! Buying from Amazon.com hurts your local economy. If you don't know where to go, check here: http://www.indiebound.org/indie-store... **
Alison
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a really cute bedtime book. Starts out with the child saying that as soon as you start yawning you're off to bed. He then begins to list ways to avoid this fate.

I thought it was particularly funny that I couldn't help but let out a big yawn halfway through the book.
Cosette
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
12. I yawned 12 times while reading this aloud.
Tori
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A short, simple guide to avoiding getting sent to bed early. See, they only start sending you to bed when you yawn... so don't do that.
I used this as filler in a bedtime-themed storytime and it works great. Really ham up the yawns as you read, really dare the kids not to yawn, but keep an eye on your crowd and call out the kids (and parents) who yawn on you. By the end of the book, EVERYONE will be thinking about yawning and EVERYONE will laugh when they fail the dare.
But follow it up with some
Christy
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing

A yawn can land you in your pj’s and under the covers before you can blink and say "Baa baa black sheep." So clamp your mouth shut and look away from your sleepy dog, stay away from your cuddly blanket, and whatever you do, don’t think of baby orangutans stretching their long arms out for a snuggly hug. Otherwise, you might find your mouth opening w
Christine Irvin
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A young boy tries to stifle a yawn, but it gets away from him. His mom notices and whisks him off to bed. Problem is, he's not really all that tired. So, he has some advice for anyone who doesn't want to end up in bed.

* Stay away from huggable stuffed animals.
* Stay away from cozy pajamas.
* Avoid bedtime stories about sleepy animals.

All these things, and more, are sure to make you yawn and get you sent to bed. And, I'll bet you'll be yawning by the time you get to the end of this book, because l
Katie Bruff
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A little boy accidentally yawns in front of his mom so she sends him straight to bed. He wasn't ready for bed but she said too bad, it's time for pajamas and bedtime stories. He yawns even if his brother or sister yawn. A yawn can grab a hold of him so fast that he hurries and covers his mouth to keep it from escaping. If you're caught, off to bed you go. His mom tucked him in, and said "yawns are sneaky." So whatever you do, don't yawn kids.
Connie T.
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun story. Just looking at the cover makes me want to yawn. Everyone I showed this book to also yawned - frequently - except the kids at story time. Were they not paying attention or are they immune? Is this why parents get sleepy during the bedtime stories but the kids beg for story after story?
Clare
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The title says it all. When reading this book to the grandchildren many times I think I only did NOT yawn once. I also like when a book will throw in something completely random such as, in this case, the mention of an orangutan.
Kathy
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Leslie
This will be fun for our Family Fort Night this summer...of course I yawned reading it!
T.E. Antonino
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fun loving and whimsical story all the way through. Little kids love to be silly and this book will certainly help push them in that direction.
Ame
I, in fact, ended up yawning several times during the course of this book. I FAILED MY MISSION.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
A story about how to avoid yawns and the inevitable start of your bedtime routine. A humorous look at the struggle against sleep that will delight toddlers.
Dewey
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bedtime
This book seems like such a fun one to read out loud! Perfect for a storytime.
Brandy T
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super cute!
Breanne
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Whenever you see someone yawn or even hear the word yawn, you yawn. (Did you just yawn? You did right?) This book is all about yawning and not yawning. It is funny and silly.
Kelly
This was an okay book. Illustrations were so-so. The story is good for bedtime or naptime, but lacked any real depth. It was about avoiding yawning to avoid being put to bed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Sleepy, the Goodnight Buddy
  • It's Okay to Be Different
  • Dinosaur Dance!
  • All Are Welcome
  • Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!
  • Truman
  • Sheep Go to Sleep
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • Augustus and His Smile
  • If You Give a Dog a Donut
  • Dragons Love Tacos
  • Monster Knows Shapes
Hélène Boudreau writes fiction and non-fiction for children and young adults. She is also a compulsive walker, a chicklet wrangler and a lover of cheese and cheap chocolate.

Her tween novel REAL MERMAIDS DON'T WEAR TOE RINGS is a 2011 Crystal Kite Member Choice Award Finalist.

News & Interviews