Start by marking “Look Up!: Bird-Watching in Your Own Backyard” as Want to Read:

Look Up!: Bird-Watching in Your Own Backyard

You don’t have to own binoculars and know a bunch of fancy Latin names to watch birds! No matter where you live, they’re in your neighborhood — just look up.

This conversational, humorous introduction to bird-watching encourages kids to get outdoors with a sketchbook and really look around. Quirky full-color illustrations portray dozens of birds chatting about their distinc
Published March 12th 2013 by Candlewick Press (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Look Up!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Look Up!

KC
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A thorough guide to birding for children. It's chock full of information and has great pictures with bubble comments.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I really didn't expect this book to grab me the way it did. I wish I'd had Look Up! when I first started watching birds as a kid. Cate's text and detailed illustrations fill every page from edge to edge, even the endpapers, and provide practical tips on how to watch birds and what to observe. I can tell that this was a work of love for this author. She really knows her birds! I learned a few things myself about a few species I've seen. Her touches of humor in the birds and their conversations ma ...more
Romelle
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Creative nonfiction. A book on how to bird watch. After reading this book, I will never look at a bird the same again. Annette LeBlanc Cate helps us be more observant in the way we look at birds- their color, shape, habitat, features, sounds, etc.

The illustrations add some comic relief to the topic with birds talking to each other, birds cracking jokes, and birds conversing with the narrator in speech bubbles. The fashion show performed by the birds was particularly funny.

I did find the entire b
Holly Mueller
I LOVED this book! I am a bird geek, and I spent many hours as a child drawing birds (why did I stop?) and raising chickens and ducks. I still love watching birds come to the feeders, especially on a snowy day like today. This book reminded me about why I love them so much! It's a very "busy" book - lots of information, drawing tips, even comics and humor. It wouldn't necessarily make a good read aloud (at least not the WHOLE thing - maybe a little at a time projected on a screen), but I can see ...more
Tammy J
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: info-bios
I love this book it's all about birds and how they think people are watching them. It offers readers a humorous view point of the birds in this comedic picture book. It has alot of words so I would use this for upper elementary or early middle school possibly 4-6. The author really grabs the readers attention right off the bat. She leads the reader in with the tantalizing titles and explains the reasoning behind her actions. It would be a great book do discuss stating a claim and viewpoints. It ...more
Jim Erekson
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cate's birding book breaks one of the cardinal rules (sorry I couldn't resist) of informational books: Anthropomorphism. But in this case, she is right and the rule is wrong. That's the thing with trying to come up with tight criteria for selecting informational books. When we focus too tightly on one kind of presentation, we get myopic. This book is not intended to be a scientist's science presentation. It's about being an everyday person getting into birding, and the talking birds are appropri ...more
Samantha
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to bird watching for kids. This book is jam-packed with information about observing the birds in your geographical area. The writing style is conversational which really works for a book like this because it recognizes that bird-watching doesn't sound nearly as cool as it turns out to be.

The author uses knowledge and enthusiasm to prove that bird-watching is a worthwhile hobby and uses each two page spread to build on the information included on the previous pages. That mea
Anna Smith
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bird watching can be fun! This book is written in a way that students would want to try bird watching. It tell the different types of birds and there different characteristics from a young boys perspective. He doesn’t need any fancy gadgets to identify his birds either!
Grade: 3rd-5th
Classroom Use: Science
Individual Student: A student wanting a hobby or to be outdoors, someone interested in birds.
Small group: Discuss different types of birds
Whole Group: Vocabulary usage
Related books: Books on Bir
Janis
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite children’s book is Look Up! This delightful, informative, inspiring introduction to bird-watching (for kids 8 and up, with plenty to offer for novice adults) offers the basics of bird-watching, from characteristics and behavior, shapes, flying patterns, songs, habitat, and even a nice introduction to classification. I loved its conversational cartoon approach and quirky humor. A wonderful book!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Finally found this one. Love the layers and the humor along with the informational side.
 Barb Bailey
This book is awesome.....love it ! I am recommending this book to my daugther...it will be a great birthday gift idea for her step son, especially paired with a set of binoculars .
Karen
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ellie, jacob, mom
Mom 4 stars, Jacob 3 stars, Ellie 2 stars. Not a book to read straight through.
Rana Issa
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Look Up!: Bird-Watching in Your Own Backyard
This book won the Robert F. Sibert Informational book medal. The book is a unique informational text because it is written in a format that is entertaining yet very informative. It offers the basics of bird-watching from anatomy, characteristics, colors, habitats and behavioral differences. It helps readers recognize and classify the different types of birds that they see in their own backyard! Each illustration in the book provides valuable informatio
Hannah Barnes
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary: Look Up: Bird Watching in Your Own Backyard is a book full of descriptors about birds and nature and how to observe these different types of bird regardless of where you live. It displays colorful illustrations of all birds and which ones can be found in your area and how you can recognize them based on their shapes, colors, habits, and songs. The book also explains how a person could simply take a seat and sketch a bird while bird watching.

Evaluation: It is easy for everyone to enjoy
Asho
S (age 6) got a pair of cheap binoculars from our neighbor, along with a tiny field guide that describes half a dozen birds to find in your backyard. He has showed a bit of interest in bird-watching and has been sitting on our deck some mornings watching the birds that come to the feeder. His budding interest in bird-watching happened to coincide with my reading a recommendation for this book on a blog, so I checked it out from the library for him.
What a cool book! It has illustrations that are
Kim
Could be useful for a MS science class if they do wildlife observation stuff. Has a nice explanation of classification, including visuals that could help students with the concept. Encourages drawing the observed animals, which I seem to remember being a feature of my 8th grade science class at DS?? Has a good discussion of evolutionary adaptations like specific bills/feet -- encourages readers to think critically about what they observe about the birds and how those observed traits could be use ...more
Lacey
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-lit
Obviously this book is about bird watching. The author encourages children to get outside to watch nature. Bringing a sketchbook to draw what you see doesn't hurt either. There are tons of things to learn about birds. Including there color, what their feathers look like, what they eat, or where you can find them.

I enjoyed this book. It had lots of facts in it and described in detail the types of birds.

I think I could use this book in the classroom to talk about nature. Even if you just gave a
Sandy
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: birds, young-adult
Author Annette Cate has a curious mind and a great sense of humor that sets this birding book apart. I found it in the juvenile section of the library, but Look Up! Bird-Watching in Your Own Backyard could be useful and inspirational for any beginning birder, young or old. It's like a comic book with the birds talking to the reader and to each other on every page - a lot of fun, and it's packed full of bird lore and birding tips. Some of what the birds say are "inside jokes" for those of us with ...more
Barbara
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Madeline Collins
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: smith
This book beautifully walks you through all the different types of birds. Its about how to have fun bird-watching in your own backyard! Such a fun book!!

I liked this book, but not quite as much as others because it didn't have a story line. It is more of an informational book rather than a story. Still a very fun and colorful book for kiddos!

This book would be good to have in a classroom, especially for students who love animals! I think kids would like this book also because of how fun and colo
Mary
This book was on my list of "not-boring learning books" according to my 6 year-old: http://honorsgradu.com/hunting-for-go...

Already an avid birder (following after daddy’s footsteps), it wasn’t tough to get my daughter to love this one. But I was impressed at just how engaging and informative Annette LeBlanc Cate’s guide on bird watching was. And best of all, it resulted in my daughter creating her own birding field journal.

Sandy Brehl
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a book for everyone... nature lovers, bird watchers, those who love to laugh, budding and established scientists, budding and established artists, picture book lovers, teachers, learners, and just plain curious folks. The speech bubbles, interactions, comic insertions, comparative arrays, clever bird quips and so much more reveal the lengthy and intense editorial and design work that went into making a timeless and irresistible book.
Kya
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is so amusing! Who knew there could be so much creativity in a kids book about bird-watching. Seriously. The commentary of the birds and their personified expressions are awesome. The voice in the book is just that - a voice. It reads as though the author is speaking to you, unlike the typical monotone, non-engaging text one may find in a non-fiction book. This make me want to spend all day tomorrow with a pair of binoculars finding winged creatures to stare at.
Cindy Dobrez
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We raved about this book back in 2013 in this Bookends post but I didn't record here that I'd read it. Seeing it on a friend's page, and on my library shelves this week, made me get on that! If you are looking for a book to encourage young children to bird-watch, no matter where they live, this is the one to start with.

Mary Ann
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This funny, information-packed book combines watercolor cartoons and an astounding amount of information. Author-illustrator Cate confesses that while she isn’t an expert bird-watcher, she really loves birds. She encourages readers to sharpen their awareness of natural surroundings, identifying birds by their color, shape, behaviors, habitat and range. Amusing and rich with scientific information.
Jill
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: home school, homeschooler, homeschoolers, bird watchers, birders
This is a fantastic book, it includes everything from a rainbow of bird colors to how to identify and classify (scientifically!) birds near you. Fun bird facts in a devil-may-care bubble graphic sort of style. I would love to own this for our kids' reference. I used it for our home school study of the classes of animals (insects, birds, etc.)
Inna Han
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this book, because it seems like the author is talking to me, and the description of bird and bird-watching is specific enough. After reading this book, I felt like I want to go outs to walk and look around my surrounding area.
Christopher Voss
Survey-type informational book. An introductory bird watching book for children. Colorful and fun uses of presenting information, lots of jokes mixed in. Text and visuals can get busy at times. Can see some children being put off by that element, especially beginning readers.
Leah
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining book for elementary readers.
Sandy
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
My seven year old was a bit overwhelmed at times by how busy this book is, but overall she really enjoyed it. Lots of information included with pleasant illustrations.
  • Frog Song
  • Parrots Over Puerto Rico
  • No Monkeys, No Chocolate
  • The Animal Book
  • Something to Prove: The Great Satchel Paige vs. Rookie Joe Dimaggio
  • The Mad Potter: George E. Ohr, Eccentric Genius
  • Handle with Care: An Unusual Butterfly Journey
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • Henry and the Cannons: An Extraordinary True Story of the American Revolution
  • Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Lives
  • Woodpecker Wham!
  • Miss Moore Thought Otherwise: How Anne Carroll Moore Created Libraries for Children
  • Eruption! Volcanoes and the Science of Saving Lives
  • A Nest Is Noisy
  • A Chicken Followed Me Home!: Questions and Answers about a Familiar Fowl
  • Grand Canyon
  • A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace Pippin
  • Brave Girl: Clara and the Shirtwaist Makers' Strike of 1909
Annette LeBlanc Cate is the author-illustrator of The Magic Rabbit. She’s been watching and drawing birds for many years, and she loves pointing out funny stuff about them. She was the art director for the hit animated show Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist. She lives in Massachusetts with her husband and two sons.