Start by marking “Queenie” as Want to Read:
Queenie

Queenie

It's 1953, the year Elizabeth is to be crowned Queen of England. Elsie Kettle can't wait to go to London with her beloved nan to see the Coronation Day celebrations. Then tragedy strikes. Nan and Elsie both fall ill with tuberculosis and Elsie is whisked away to the children's ward of Miltree Hospital. Confined to bed for months, Elsie misses Nan desperately, and struggles ...more
Published March 4th 2013 by Doubleday UK (first published January 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Queenie, please sign up.
Lucia buy the book or find a online pdf hope you have a nice day and sile XD
…more
buy the book or find a online pdf hope you have a nice day and sile XD
(less)
Lucia if you live in England any book store should sell this I don't know about in store but definitely online like WHSmiths, Waterstones, Tesco books and a…moreif you live in England any book store should sell this I don't know about in store but definitely online like WHSmiths, Waterstones, Tesco books and any other book store. Hope I was helpful have a nice day everybody and smile XD(less)

Start your review of Queenie
Masilee
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG Queenie is just so amazing! i think it is the best book Jacqueline Wilson has ever written. To be honest it is quite sad and depressing but i dont want to give it away to much! I recommend this book because it really is awesome please read it!!!
Teresa
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Eva aged 9.

Queenie is a heartwarming tale about Elsie Kettle, a girl in 1953, who desperately wants to see the Queen's Coronation. She lives with her Nan in a little but cosy basement flat. When her Nan gets very poorly, Elsie's life is turned upside down. Her Mum comes to look after her but when Elsie gets ill, she is taken away from everything she ever knew. Now she will have to make new friends and this leads to a friendship with a majestic white cat called Queenie but wil
Johara Almogbel
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
The secondary characters made this book for me, much more than the main character. Elsie was well-written but she grated on my nerves sometimes. I think there's a limit to the number of Jacqueline Wilson books you can read and still enjoy the imaginative strong-willed girls she writes in, and after a while some of them become more selfish and annoying than whimsical.

Still, though, I'd recommend this for a read, it has a heartfelt storyline that's gripping.
Chloe Sellers
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this while in hospital because I knew the main character was in hospital too, it helped me so much. Would recommend
Koni
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love this book and all, and I understand why it's people's favorite JW books, but this one isn't mine.
One of the reasons is the thing I don't really like isn't really about the book, but instead it's the blurb. People who have READ Queenie, take a look and see what I mean. To many spoilers! Not the one on the back, but the one on the first page.
Another reason is that it's to many fantasies. Yes, I know, the books are for kids, but it's pretty annoying.
Of course, there are lots of pros. I love
Remy
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
This was my 姑姑's birthday gift to me, and it is one of the reasons why I am the way I am. Elsie's stories are pure visions of girlie escapism and I love them.

(I still have no clue what exactly the characters mean by 'women's troubles', but it gets me a damn good giggle whenever I bring it up to my teachers.)
Ms. Yingling
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
In 1953, Elsie lives with her Nan because her mum is an actress and takes a lot of jobs far away. Elsie adores Nan, and the two have carved out a pleasant life for themselves. When Nan comes down with a bad case of tuberculosis, though, she has to go to the hospital to recover. Elsie's mum comes to try to take care of her, which works for a while, but Elsie has a bad leg. Despite her mother's objections, she eventually gets the leg seen to, and it turns out that she has a tubercular infection in ...more
Writingthefuture
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing. One of the best books Jackie's ever written (after the hetty feather trilogy). It was so touching and I almost cried at the end (that's only ever happened before when I read the 6th and7th harry potter) - I mean, call me soft, but it was truly so heartfelt and personal (are they the right words?!). I feel so close to Elsie and Queenie now and the afterword at the end was so beautiful. I definitely recommend. ...more
Faith
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
it was a quick and fun, easy read, very enjoyable for 8-12 year olds and it was easy to get gripped with the whole story and relate to how she was feeling. Jacqueline Wilson really can get any story to be fun an interesting even if it is the saddest of stories. She did a good job and i hope you will check it out from amazon or your local bookstore.

my full review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS12LG...
Beau
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
OMG queenside is a star xx
Isobel Andrews
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
niamh :)
This is a really good book about a girl who gets TB and here life in hospital and afterwards.
Emma Murphy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Jacqueline Wilson book!!
Adam Black
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
My youngest is always begging me to read more of her recommendations, and while I try to comply - and often read at least one a month - she's never satisfied. As a result, she's taken to reading them to me at every opportunity.

Today she's reading me Queenie - her new favourite Jacqueline Wilson - and, is often the case with Wilson, it's full of uncomfortable social situations, complicated family setups and less than amiable adults ...no wonder her work has got such a following, with young reader
Amelia Kumeyko
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book!

So, these are one of the books that I absolutely love! Jacqueline is such a good author! This book is about a girl called Elsie with a life full of lots of cliffhangers and twists. This book made me buy-in loads but it also warned my heart and Jacqueline is such a good author that I feel for the characters and it's like your standing and watching that very scene! Anyway, I would recommend this book to 9 year olds to 10 I enjoyed a this book ( No joke!) And I am looking forward to Jac
Poppy
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Queenie by Jacqueline Wilson was a true delight to read in many ways. This amazing novel is very hooking and will capture the reader from cover to cover.

In this book, a girl called Elsie Kettle is sent to a hospital to be cared for because of TB in her leg, where she meets some new friends, like Martin and Gillian.

This is a fantastic novel by Jacqueline Wilson and possibly the best one I have read.
Roisin
Mar 29, 2020 added it
I am a fan of Jacqueline Wilson. When I began reading this book I quite disappointed. If you are new to Jacqueline Wilson and you do not like the book it has no resemblance of what her actual books are like. I suggest reading the story of Tracy beaker. It is a lot less long winded. Take this from a child who read the book.
Leah
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's cute. Good story line. I would of enjoyed it alot more when I was ten, but found it on my book shelf and thought I'd give it a read before handing it on. Obviously aimed at someone alot younger than me, but I still enjoyed it and was a bit of a past time since jaqueline Wilson was my favourite author ...more
Katie Hazel
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a reread; to try and get me out of a reading slump, which is definitely did. Can always rely on a childhood classic to help you out of the slump.

Obviously this is a 5/5; a classic Jacqueline Wilson book, and one of my childhood favourites.

Reading this now, it made it even more heartwarming. I’ve realised how special family are, especially grandparents.
Emily__Reads_Reviews
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Queenie was a great book you could tell it was written by a British author because of the writing style. This author really has some creative ideas and her books express that and they tend to be enjoyable to read definitely 5 stars:)
Jessie
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Book it was amazing me and my gran read it together so heart worming and is in my top ten! So amazing💙my fave jaqualine wilson book💕read if u love
cats btw😁the ending made me cry, it's the first book that made me cry😫read it pls, words can't describe how amazing this book is!!, 💕💙
Charlie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read this in Year 6. I kept it in my “tub” and pulled it out for ‘silent reading time’. I think it took me the entire year to read only because I never took it home. My teacher would write notes on our book progress and I’d never made it a page further than her last check. Good book though!
sarah courtney
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
i read this book when i was quite young, like eight or so and absolutely adored it. i just found it again on my book shelf and i’m thinking of doing a reread because this was my favourite book when i was younger
Karen Marie Larke
Lovely read

I'm 49 and not ashamed to say that I loved reading this. It was beautifully written, I recently read 'Katy' which was great and a good modern take on the classic 'What Katy did'.
Alice Kennedy
this was a re read of one of my fave books; i enjoyed this one but not as much as i remember. after a while elsie got on my nerves and she became more annoying than an enjoyable character. however there were still some sweet moments in this book and i really enjoyed it nonetheless!
Ellie May
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elisha Breed
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is very different but so good you fall in love with all the characters. I have read this book too many times to count
Elizabeth
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely heartwarming story. Amazing.
Rebecca Gale
I have to admit to struggling with Jacqueline Wilson, however this book set in a 1950's hospital is pleasant and easy to read. Elsie suffers from Tb But takes comfort in the hospital cat Queenie. ...more
Coco
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a bit sad and it was funny
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Queenie 1 1 Feb 17, 2015 10:59AM

• The Lottie Project
  • Coco Caramel (Chocolate Box Girls, #4)
  • The Whispers in the Walls (Scarlet and Ivy, #2)
  • Cherry Crush (The Chocolate Box Girls, #1)
  • The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips
  • The Garbage King
  • Born to Run
  • Marshmallow Skye (The Chocolate Box Girls, #2)
  • Welcome to Camden Falls (Main Street, #1)
  • The Butterfly Lion
  • Dear Olly
  • The Lost Twin (Scarlet and Ivy #1)
  • Running Wild
  • No Ballet Shoes in Syria
  • Awful Auntie
  • Summer's Dream (The Chocolate Box Girls, #3)
  • The Wishing Chair Collection: Three Exciting Stories in One.  The adventures of the Wishing Chair, The Wishing Chair Again, More Wishing Chair Tales (Enid Blyton)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Best Friend Forever (Dork Diaries #14)
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named af ...more

News & Interviews