Start by marking “Once Tempted (Silver Creek, #1)” as Want to Read:
Once Tempted (Silver Creek, #1)

Once Tempted

(Silver Creek #1)

Sweeping passions, family drama, and searing scandal play out at the magnificent Silver Creek Ranch as the heirs to a powerful dynasty seize their legacy of love.

Oldest son Ward Knowles feels the sprawling California ranch in his blood. And now that the family business has expanded to include a popular resort, he’s working harder than ever. Silver Creek is his legacy and h/>
Published March 26th 2013 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Once Tempted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Tempted

Anne OK
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: 2013-reads
Product Description:
(Release Date: March 26, 2013)

Oldest son Ward Knowles feels the sprawling California ranch in his blood. And now that the family business has expanded to include a popular resort, he’s working harder than ever. Silver Creek is his legacy and his life, which is fine for the ruggedly sexy ladies’ man and committe/>Sweeping
Jonetta
Quick summary
Events planner Tess Casari packs up all of her belongings and heads out west to California (from Queens) to start anew following the painful demise of her marriage and later, her husband's death. She ends up at the Silver Creek Ranch (sort of an eeny-meeny-miney-mo action with a map). Ward Knowles, the oldest son of the family owning the guest ranch, is the first person she meets and it definitely wasn't insta-love.

The heart of the story
Tess is hired on by Ward's mother as her personal a
Angie Elle
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
***This book was provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.***

Just a warning...this review may contain lots of gushing.

Judging this book by its cover:
Holy hotness, Batman.

Plot/Execution:
I absolutely loved the plot of this book! It was pretty much a 'scorned woman leaves everything she knows to start over from scratch' story. In this case, it's Tess, and she's left New York City and chosen a random little town in California to begin her new life. She ends up on a ranch, which she knows no/>
Judging
figuranta❤️addicted❤️to❤️books❤️

4 Stars

This review has been posted as well at

From The Cover

photo oncetempted_zpsa7b53fcd.jpg

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»

I love cowboys...and I love cowboy books even more...That is something that will never change. However, this left me a little disappointed. It had the potential to be something memorable, and while I did enjoy parts of it, there was still much left to be desired. I wish a lot of things didn't pan out the way they did, especially the ending and resolving of characters' issues. And it took me a while to get invested in the actual story from the beginning. The good stuff didn't start until the 40%
Beth
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Enter to win one of 3 Paperback copies of Once Tempted at Tome Tender. Giveaway Open until March 26, 2013.

Tess Casari wants to get as far away from her humiliation of her failed marriage, she’s looking for a fresh start. She packs up her car, drives 3000 miles and lands in Silver Creek California. She gets a job as the assistant to a ranch/resort owner Adele Knowles. Sworn never to trust her heart on a man again, Tess can’t understand why Adele’s oldest son Ward seems to push all her buttons and g
Michelle the Romance Witch
I loved this book on so many levels. Being a country girl myself, I LOVED the descriptions of the ranch and the animals that called it home. I’ve never been to northern CA, but this book made me feel like I was right on the land, enjoying the warm breezes, and petting the cute animals, before riding off into the sunset on one of their beautiful horses. It isn’t often that I run across such rich imagery that never gets tedious to read. Wade and Tess’s love story was one that pulled on my heartstr ...more
Jen
4 Enjoyable Stars

Would you have the guts to take a chance on fate and make a cross country move based solely on where your finger lands on a map? That’s just what Tess Casari decides to do in Once Tempted.

New York City isn’t working out so hot for event planner Tess. Her estranged husband just died due to a preexisting illness she knew nothing about and she’s had to endure a 2 month hospital vigil along with his parents, despite the fact they believe she married their son for his money. She’s lost
Jenn Scranton
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
** Provided graciously by NetGalley for an honest review **

All I have to say about Once Tempted:
A man who loves his mom?
Who respects his friends and family?
Sensitive to others feelings?
Strong protector?
A man who is fiercely devoted to everything he does?
... YES PLEASE ...

Especially when they do this everyday... *drool*
Jae
I didn't enjoy this at all. It was a total hardship to finish.

The story revolves around the Knowlses and their three adult children who owned and ran Silver Creek, a resort in the middle of a ranch. All five Knowles were constantly in the story. They talked about the menu, they talked about their staff and they discussed the upcoming event. In fact, through out the first 40% of the book, that was just about it.

I just lost interest after that. A total waste of a deliciousl
Jackie
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Started out slow, but drew me in, in a big way. I loved the love story between Wade & Tess! I definitely want to read the rest of the books in this series! Towards the end I coudln't tear myself away. I am eagerly awaiting the next one! Great writing!
Brie
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at Romance Around the Corner

Source: a review copy was provided by the publisher through NetGalley.

Have I told you how much I like Ms. Moore’s books? Yes I have! But I will say it again, because for some reason she’s a bit of a hidden gem and I want to help spread the word. If you like Contemporary Romance, small-town stories and horses, then you should be reading her books right now.

Our heroine, Tess, is a recent widow who had a very traumatic experience w
Feminista
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Wminbc
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sooo long ago I read this one it seems...Okay, Okay...I see how it goes! Romance, cowboys, money and lies...good start! Now what to do you have? Well, let me tell you...dying husbands, birthing sheep, horses, hot/witty cowboys, jealous ex's, Pins, tweets and more!

Tess is an Italian New Yorker who packs up what little she has in life and moves to the location she scribbled on a map while playing "pin the X on the US". The X was quite literally on top of Silver Creek Ranch, owned and o
Kathy
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of contemporary western romances, then you are going to love Once Tempted, the first novel in Laura Moore’s Silver Creek series. This fast-paced novel is a beautifully written love story between a sexy cowboy and a city girl who have both had their hearts broken in the past. Please click HERE to read my review in its entirety.
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, romance, arc
**Thank You to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group for providing me with this ARC**

This story made me fall in love with Cowboys. Wade was a delicious taste of all thing Cowboy and the interaction between him and Tess was a joy to read.

The story was well written and you felt their previous heart break. I was happy to see them over come it.

The chemistry between the pair was hot.

Very much hoping that after this book we get to read about Reid a
Lori
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: yummy-cowboys
First a sincere thank you to netgalley for offering up this title for an honest review. I hope I have satisfied your expectations...

Hot and sexy cowboy...check
Broken beautiful lady needing said cowboy to mend her broken heart...check
Gorgeous ranch...check
Great family running said ranch...check
nasty, jealous ex-fiance...check
Untold secrets threatening to break up the fragile new love...check

If you are looking for all of the above, you will def
Claudia
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oldest son Ward Knowles feels the sprawling California ranch in his blood. And now that the family business has expanded to include a popular resort, he’s working harder than ever. Silver Creek is his legacy and his life, which is fine for the ruggedly sexy ladies’ man and committed bachelor. Love and trust don’t come easily for Ward since he lost his heart to a gold digger—until he meets a shy, unpretentious beauty whose sweet grace is about to turn his jaded heart into a hungry one.

Tess
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Daniella's review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

4 Stars

This was a fantastic book!

It brings together a true odd couple and it works! Love how you can take a absolute city girl, plunk her down into the country and not only does she handle it she doesn’t back down and she does it with class and gets the guy!

Tess has had a HUGE string of very, extreme bad luck and between her and her best friend Anna she has “pinned the compass on the map and left New Y
Abra
This was a freebie from RT15.

Well, I will say the writing was good and I didn't see any typos. The story itself was standard stuff:
-1 Heroine runs to a small town and ranch to escape something bad that happened to her. In this case a horrific marriage.
-2 Meets a handsome cowboy who owns (at least partially) a ranch and they feel an instant attraction.
-3 She trembles from want every time she is in the same room with him.
-4 He thinks she's cute when she's riled
D.C.
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ABOUT THE BOOK:
Deidre
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well I got to say I got a lot more than I expected out of this book - in a good way. A lot of the time I judge a book by how hard it is for me to put down and going by that it gets 5 Stars. I got to read a few pages before leaving for work and thought I put in an hour last night knowing I needed to do this review - Unfortunatly for me (this morning anyways) I sat up till close to 3am this morning and all the pages were gone...This book has got everything in it you could possibly want. "A Hunky C ...more
The Window Seat
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Like the ditty, a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down. Ms. Moore’s smooth as silk writing and talented storytelling helped me overlook the implausible plot device, surrounding the reason for the heroine’s marriage, and then her questionable ethics.

Tess Casari met her future husband at a cocktail party. But she wasn’t there as a guest, she was actually working the event, as a server for her employer, La Dolce Vita. David seemed struck by a “proverbial lightning bolt,” followi
Wanda
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a remarkable storyline, the details were flawless and the characters were amazing, each playing an important role in the story. The chemistry was hot and sexy between Tess and Wade. The story takes you on Tess and Wade’s journey about finding true love, it will take your breath away. Plus the bonus of a super sexy man will leave your mouth watering. I would love to read more about this family; I truly hope there will be another book to follow this one.

Stephanie  G

I’ve long been a fan of Laura Moore’s since 2001 when I stumbled across one of her early books, Ride a Dark Horse, so when I saw she had a new book out in March, I promptly made the request to review it. She’s one of the dozen or so authors I’ve emailed and part of my love of her books stems from the precise details when it comes to horses, believe it or not. The reality and accuracy shown in her books has made me a fan from pretty much day one, and her romances usually tend t
Tina "IRead2Escape"

Hotness rating 3 out of 5

Oh my goodness, I can not believe it took me so long to read this book. Once Tempted is the first book in the Silver Creek series by Laura Moore and it was a great start to, what I hope will be, a great series.

Ward Knowles is a family man through and through. This helps considering he and his family share in the running and success of their ranch-turned-resort. They'll never be rich, but life is comfortable and they all get to do what they love be
Yodamom
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yummy-men, romance, owned
Reading this romance was like drinking an ice cold glass of water on a hot dry day. It was relaxing, edgy in the right places and romantic. This is not a simple story of a cowboy meeting a city girl and roping her into bed. This tale is detailed, smart and well paced. The details of the ranch work and the animal care were so exact I felt as if I was a real visitor on the ranch. I held my breath when the lambs were born, when the horses spooked and worried at the scars on one of the rescues. The ...more
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tess Casari needs a new start. When her estranged husband suddenly passes away, Tess leaves her life in New York to start over in Acacia, California. What seems like an adventure inspired by fate soon turns sour when Tess cannot find work in the tiny tourist town. Her last chance is a huge guest ranch called the Silver Creek, but fate deals her a blow when her car breaks down on their private road.

Eldest of the three Knowles siblings, Ward carries far more than his share of the work
Carrie
3.5 Stars

I always enjoy a good Western Romance and this one didn’t disappoint. Tess is trying to move on with life after her estranged husband dies from a brain tumor. With the help of her friend Anna, she decides to blindfold and spin Tess around then Tess has to place her finger on the map and wherever her finger is she’ll move there. The whole spontaneous of spinning and wherever your finger lands that will be her next home. I loved this idea though I would never be brave enough t
Amanda
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I read this copy for free from netgalley.com. I'm not usually one for cowboy stories. However, I've found more and more of them interesting, and not just the usual "Howdy, I'm from Texas." Once Tempted is set in Northern California, where cowboys ride the range, they just don't get a lot of romance novels. The story line is great. Both hero--Ward--and heroine Tess are reeling from past relationships. Throw in a bunch of in-laws and loose family connections, and let the drama unfold. I really liked how ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Border Laird's Bride (Borderland Brides #2)
  • Keeping Secrets in Seattle (Secrets, #1)
  • The Reluctant Countess
  • One Night with a Cowboy (Oklahoma Nights, #1)
  • Seven-Night Stand
  • The Trouble with Cowboys (Catcher Creek, #1)
  • Never Love a Scoundrel (Secrets & Scandals #5)
  • Accidental Cowgirl (Whisper Creek, #1)
  • Jesse  (The Secret Life of Cowboys, #3)
  • Brody (Circle Eight, #2)
  • Wild Burn (Wild State, #1)
  • Love Me (Take a Chance, #2)
  • Hero of My Heart
  • Texas Princess (Whispering Mountain, #2)
  • Selling Out (The Lost Girls, #2)
  • Unforgettable (The Dalton Gang, #3)
  • One More Kiss (Pennistan, #5)
  • Wild at Heart (Sons of Chance, #11)
I was born in New York City and grew up there and in Western Massachusetts. I began writing while pursuing my master's degree. My first novel, Ride a Dark Horse, filled most of a spiral bound notebook. I soon realized I far preferred writing love stories to term papers!

I now live in Rhode Island with my husband, two children, and our black lab. Our cat Zevon keeps us all in line.

Silver Creek (3 books)
  • Once Tasted (Silver Creek, #2)
  • Once Touched (Silver Creek, #3)
“Ward, do you think we’ll have time to ride this afternoon? I’d love to go over some of the old trails with you,” Erica asked, smiling at him over the assortment of pastries and wedding cake in the lodge’s dining room.
Ward fought the urge to growl his reply that he had an even better idea. He’d love to stuff her into Ralph Cummins’s taxi, slam the door, and instruct Ralph to hit the gas and not slow down until he reached Palo Alto, where Erica was currently living. Once the taxi was out of sight, he’d go down to the bottom of the road to Silver Creek Ranch and lock the gates. With a padlock.
Instead, he shoveled in a forkful of the wedding cake Roo had baked and pretended not to hear. He’d been doing a lot of that.”
1 likes
“Delicious” might sound excessive, but it was the only word that properly described how he looked in worn blue jeans and chaps. Since she’d started coming down to the barns, she’d seen the other hands wearing chaps, but those cowboys hadn’t made her heart thump painfully or feel as if she should suddenly start fanning her face.
Ward wore the kind that zippered down his long muscular legs, hugging them. Made of dark tan suede, they didn’t have the fringes or ornamentation that she’d noticed on some of the ones worn by the wranglers. There was nothing to distract her eyes or to keep her gaze from zeroing in on where the chaps buckled, framing the bulge of his sex. Her internal thermostat soared just from not looking at that particular spot.
But the brim of his hat was angled downward—the better to study her new boots, she assumed. With his gaze shielded, she found the temptation impossible to resist. Yup, his crotch was truly the finest eye candy: yummy and calorie free.”
0 likes