Start by marking “Backstage Cat” as Want to Read:
Backstage Cat

Backstage Cat

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  134 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
A runaway kitty named Simon introduces kids to what it takes to put on a show and have a moment in the spotlight. It's a kid-pleasing peek at a fascinating world the draws both stardom-seekers and those who prefer to remain behind the scenes. With illustrations by a bright new star on the Blue Apple list, kids will discover that there's just as much interesting stuff behin ...more
Published March 12th 2013 by Blue Apple Books

To ask other readers questions about Backstage Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backstage Cat

Michelle
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The cat looks like he was drawn by a child but still cute
Eileen Carter
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This runaway cat seems to be making quite a disturbance in the theater, what will happen? Will the show go on? Or will the runaway cat make a mess of it all? This funny runaway cat will delight all readers. People who have cats will understand about their cats climbing up high into things. As well as the love owners have for their cats.
Emily
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was ok. It didn't have much of a point and the illustrations weren't my favorite. It wasn't silly but it didn't have a message, either, so that's why I wasn't super impressed.
Keri Payton
(From my blog: Quill Café)

In accordance with the FTC, I would like to disclose that I received a review copy of this title from Edelweiss. The opinions expressed are mine and no monetary compensation was offered to me by the author or publisher.

Being the cat of a leading lady is a fine life. The world of the theatre is fascinating and sensational, with much to be explored and discovered. When Simon, a cheeky and curious ginger cat makes his unexpected debut on the stage, there is plenty of hecti
Online Eccentric Librarian
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschooling

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Backstage Cat is a children's book with a cute little story of an actress who brings her cat to a play - only to have the kitty escape into the theater during a performance. Chaos ensues!

The illustrations of Backstage Cat are very sweet - a mixed media type of art that combines photography, various coloring mediums, and loose pencil for details like faces and whiskers.

I read this with my 10 year old and she really liked
Heidi-Marie
Interesting. I'm trying to figure out who I would recommend this to. Definitely cat lovers. Perhaps kids who are already into theater/performing. But it still seems a bit random. I mean, it's a cute story. I love the little random sketches of mice all over the place. And I thought it fun that the cat wouldn't come down until it was sung to. But the whole song? It's sweet, but I'm not sure I would want to read that aloud in a storytime. (I'm a singer; I prefer to sing songs if I can. I do not kno ...more
Samantha
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Simon the cat gives readers a behind the scenes view of life at the theater. His owner is the star of the show and he causes a whole bunch of problems before the curtain goes up.

When a loud noise scares him, Simon climbs the scenery and lights higher and higher on the stage and refuses to come down for any bribe offered him. It is the soothing song of his beloved owner that brings him down from his perch, but when a mouse races across the stage during the performance Simon makes another appeara
Nicole Bonia
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Simon the cat goes to work with his person, who is the star of a Broadway show. Havoc ensues when he escapes to roam the theater and have a few escapades of his own! I am always on the look out for cute books for showers, birthday presents or to fill a Christmas stocking, and this fits the bill. It’s a simple introduction to the workings of the theater using a runaway cat as the guide. The writing is simple and fun and can be expanded to answer the questions of older kids or simplified even furt ...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
When the leading lady of a play goes onstage, her cat gets startled and runs after her. Pretty soon the stage is a madhouse, as people try to get the cat down from the various places he's climbed.

With simple writing, Backstage Cat is told in first person from the cat's point of view. The illustrations are different than what I am usually drawn to, but I liked them a lot. This book is short and sweet, with a splash of humor thrown into the mix.

My blog: Batch of Books
Karen
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A very cute book to introduce children to the workings behind the stage. Simon gets to visit the theater with his person, the leading lady, and when he gets spooked he winds up on the stage and up in the set! His shenanigans cause the stage manager to bemoan his refusal to come down with "the show must go on!" Fun illustrations teach children that what goes on behind the curtain and what happens on stage are both important in theater.
Jodie
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: animals, picture-book
A cat makes his stage debut in this story. Enjoyed the illustrations. I thought the story would be more of a tour of the theater, and it was to an extent but it moved to having the cat be one of the stars of the show.
Taylor Troncin
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-2016-read
Very cute book! It's easy to read! I love celebrity culture (and animals) so this book was right up my alley. I think every young child could/would enjoy this book! Some of the illustrations were a little strange, but ultimately adorable book!
Tatiana
It will appeal to cat lovers that enjoy a picture book with illustrations that are a throwback to an era gone by. The purpose of the theater being the setting was lost on me, but it was enjoyable watching this cat get into kitty trouble all over the stage. For ages five and up.
Kristine Hansen
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute story about what goes on backstage at the theatre. Told through the story of a cat who is wandering all over the stage and equipment, we get to see how the magic comes together. I enjoyed this one a lot and would couple it with a trip to the theatre to enjoy a play.
Ilib4kids
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
E ZIEFERT
Joy
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, cats
Backstage Cat provides an unusual glimpse into the theater world through a diva's adored cat. I found the illustrations absolutely lovely and the story rather cute.
pati
It's a cat book - so of course I like it! Wonderful story and art.
PWRL
Apr 23, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
E
Beth
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
ARC supplied by publisher via Edelweiss
Liz
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Celebrity's cat escapes backstage and antics follow--from the dressing room to the "catwalk." Theater terms are used. Nice art...
Peacegal
May 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
A bored cat makes an expected stage debut.
Michelle
Jun 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: music, picture-books
a good "recital jitters" book featuring a cat who goes backstage at the theatre
Carol
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love the retro-style illustrations!
paula
Although you have to worry about a Broadway star who brings her cat with her to performances. Cheno, you're eccentric enough as it is - don't get any ideas!
Jen
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb, storytime, silly
slightly stilted language. but still a fun story with interesting collage style pictures.
Lynne
Had a great time with the illustrations especially! The story is engaging enough, but I think kids will have more fun with the illustrations than anything!
Kasia Plichcińska
Oct 12, 2016
Stacy
Jan 05, 2014
Feb 16, 2016
Beth Singleton
Mar 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her childr
More about Harriet Ziefert