Start by marking “Vegetable Literacy: Cooking and Gardening with Twelve Families from the Edible Plant Kingdom” as Want to Read:

In her latest cookbook, Deborah Madison, America's leading authority on vegetarian cooking and author of Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, reveals the surprising relationships between vegetables, edible flowers, and herbs within the same botanical families, and how understanding these connections can help home cooks see everyday vegetables in new light.

For over three decad
Published March 12th 2013 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Vegetable Literacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegetable Literacy

3 tablespoons unsalted butter plus 1 tablespoon at room temperature
1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
teaspoon juniper berries, crushed
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped sage leaves
1 small head green cabbage or Savoy cabbage (about 2 pounds)--quartered, cored and cut crosswise into -inch-wide ri
Nicole
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Before cooking any of the recipes, I read Vegetable Literacy every night before bed. It's a sweet read, anecdotal more than educational, and the recipes are deceptively simple looking. But deliciousness lies within these pages. Just looking at the recipes without making any of them, I was skeptical that they would be anything special. But making them--boy, Madison has serious skill in the combination of basic ingredients to create a mouthwatering meal. I've made three recipes so far--the quinoa ...more
Eh?Eh!
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
my favorites, things that made my eyes widen when I tasted them

soy-braised tofu with five-spice powder
anise shortbreads with orange flower water
sauteed Jerusalem artichokes with rosemary and smoked salt*
chervil-chive butter**
sorrel sauce with yogurt***
Rice with Spinach, Lemon, Feta and Pistachios
Peanut Butter Cookies
cauliflower salad with goat cheese
Roasted Rutabaga Batons w/ Caraway and Smoked Paprika
Carrot Soup w/ Tangled Collard Greens
White bean and fen
Becki Iverson
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book on a whim (which I NEVER do), for two reasons:

1) From working with one of her earlier cookbooks shortly after becoming a vegetarian, I know that Deborah Madison surely knows her shit when it comes to vegetables;

2) I enjoy using lesser known, hard to find, or hyper-local/foraged ingredients in cooking, and although I know how to find them I seem to have a difficult time knowing what to do with them.

This book is miraculous for anyone looking for a primer on every kind of veget
Tim
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
torn - ultimately, i think it's pretentious. it never quite reaches an encyclopedic level, though she nicely interweaves personal stories and background about the various individual vegetables. i like the categorical separation - interesting for knowledge-sake, but ultimately this does not make a fine cookbook. the recipes don't make sense in this order, so you would never use this book regularly, or for spontaneous cooking. she claims these recipes are easy, but they are each filled with the un ...more
Kirsten
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This gorgeous book is especially essential for CSA members and farmer's market lurkers. It's arranged by vegetable families, and would be a wonderful reference when one is confronted with a relatively unfamiliar vegetable or a glut of whatever's in season. The writing is beautiful and somewhat chatty, like hanging out in the kitchen of an accomplished and warmly friendly chef. The author suggests flavor pairings for each vegetable family and also offers information as to which parts of the plant ...more
Laura Leaney
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a big beautiful book with a perfect title. Deborah Madison is like your mom (if she taught Home Ec, or as I used to call it Home Ick). The book is divided by vegetable family, such as "The Cabbage Family," and then further divided by type - like red cabbage, kale, brussel sprouts, and cauliflower. The information on each vegetable isn't all that groundbreaking for me - although it's nice to be introduced, I guess. Carrot, this is Laura - Laura, this is Carrot, who did not get his orange ...more
Julie Davis
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a beautifully written book which nicely weaves gardening and cooking anecdotes with factual information. Having read several other books which fill a similar niche I was interested to see how this one stacked up.

I really liked the writing and author's voice. However, none of the recipes appealed to me. To be fair, Madison is speaking to vegetarians whenever she writes and I am not in that group, though I do enjoy a good vegetable recipe as much as the next person. These recipes may all b
Debbi
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book. Deborah Madison is one of my favorite cookbook writers. She consistently creates a clear path to a delicious destination. Her ideas are innovative, yet down to earth. Vegetable Literacy is carefully researched and well organized, an interesting read for plant lovers as well as cooks. My reservation about the book is that it is too beautiful. I don't feel inspired to bring it into the kitchen, it doesn't beg to be splattered and stained. It sits on my coffee table where ...more
Martha
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, gardening
This is an amazing book. I had it from the library and only managed to get through the section on carrots and other family members and had to skim the rest of this not small book. I'll have to get it again, though it would be an excellent book for a serious cook to have in a personal library. The author takes a fresh (and very thorough) approach to growing, selecting, and preparing vegetables. One of the things I liked best was a list with each vegetable of what condiments or spices complement ...more
Stephanie
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked having a book that put things in families. However, I would have liked to see more photos of finished dishes. And, more photos of the unusual things listed. I don't need a photo of a carrot, but asafetida would have been something new.
Gertie
Jan 18, 2018 marked it as got-it-unread  ·  review of another edition
I got this on sale for $2.99 via BookBub, some of the recipes and information looks interesting. It's NOT a vegetarian book, though I believe it mostly is, and I am confident I can veganize anything in it.

Looking forward to trying a few new simple recipes, and learning a bit about vegetable "families".
Debra Daniels-zeller
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, cookbooks
I put this book on my list nearly a month ago, and this whole time I've been cooking and slowly savoring all the tips and information about the 12 vegetable families covered in it. It's too big to take anywhere to read, so I read it at night have delicious dreams. Initially I got this book because I'm a big fan of Deborah Madison's recipes. I always learn something new from Deborah's descriptions or explanations. When I first ordered it, I hadn't expected anything so huge and wonderful. THe cov ...more
Robert Hudder
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Look, I picked this up at the library and within minutes was immersed in it. The approach of looking at the families where these vegetables live and their similarities opened doors for me. Simple ideas such as the fact that Queen Anne's Lace is a wild carrot got me to thinking on whether you could eat the tops and bottoms of that plant in the same way as a carrot.

So aside from the botanical, there are straight forward recipes. But the proximity of the recipes to relatives just screams for reint
Jeff
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Deborah Madison is well-known for vegetarian cooking. This book actually break vegetables down into their related families of plants, allowing us to see interconnections between different kinds of plants. I have made a number of the recipes in this book, and in other cases have improvised my own variations, following Madison's model, always with excellent results. I especially appreciate her sometimes sly suggestions for going beyond a strictly vegetarian diet, as when she notes that shrimp migh ...more
Lydia
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most beautiful, thoughtful and useful vegetable cookbooks/gardeners handbooks I have seen in many years. Like Martha, I am also previewing the library copy--so I haven't fully digested the whole book, that will take years. I will need to live with it. Deborah Madison comes from a family of botanists, but also worked with Alice Waters, founded Greens restaurant, and wrote many cookbooks. This book is big-- 400 pages in a 11x11" format. Vegetables and herbs are classed by family ...more
Louise
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Vegetables are the new bacon/kale/quinoa/whatever. This cookbook/garden advice book is a good addition to anyone's cooking library. There's background about particular vegetables and what it's like to plant them. I like that the recipes are unfussy and easy to build off of. The pictures in here are beautiful and really do make me want to head down to the farmer's market or at least the garden store to pick up some fresh vegetables to eat/plant.
Leigh
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook is big, expensive and is for folks who are SERIOUS about vegetables. For forty bucks, I can find a very good cookbook that'll have a wider range of recipes from all cooking disciplines and probably be more relaxing to read. For Gods sake, I just want to cook something, not get a doctorate in Advanced Theory of Avocado.
Kristen
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
The first page I zeroed in on said, "The main caveat with leeks is that they can harbor sand and dirt within their many-layered shanks. . ." page 256

Sold right there with the language!

This book is a vegetable lover's haven.

More lovely and mildly humorous text:

"Leeks embody the delicate side of the allium tribe, adding more of a whisper and less of shout when it comes to the onion flavor."
K.
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's easy to roll your eyes at the mentions of coconut oil and getting eggs from your neighbours, but every single recipe I've made from this book has been a winner.
Marianna
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
I like the way this book is organized. The information at the beginning of each section is wonderful. The recipes, not so much. Too many odd ingredients.
Abby Tamkin
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Beautiful combination of botany text and cookbook. Amazing pictures.
I had to return it to the library before I got to make many recipes. Some are certainly not "accessible", but most look like things I could make and would want to eat.
This education on vegetables has been especially useful in light of my CSA subscription. What do I do with these strange things? What *are* these strange things?
But there were some vegetables I could not find in the book, or found only a line about.
A great section
Maria
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
I didn't feel like I learned that much from this book... but I also couldn't get through a chapter without bookmarking several ideas for things to make later. It's all stuff that is technically not challenging, good for a weeknight supper, with flavor combinations I just would not have thought of. So far I've only made the celery salsa, but hooo wow that was a good idea. I read the Kindle edition as a library loan but this would be a very useful book to have in physical form when you are stumped ...more
Paul
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than I expected

I read cookbooks, and I admit this. Deborah Madison's books are examples of ones that should be read, absorbed, and utilized.

This book, part gardening primer and part cookbook, takes the reader through the families of growing foods and their beauty, utility, and benefits. Vegetarians can learn new items for their tables, gardeners can find information about growing new plants, and everyone can learn ways to be more conscious of what we eat.

Highly recommended
Maren
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
An inspirational book of vegetables! I like how the author discusses veggies by family, with healthy dollops of her kitchen wisdom included as well. I have so far tried the orange salad with leeks and the cauliflower salad with capers and goat cheddar (both nice!) and look forward to trying more. A helpful book and fun to read, too.
Maryalene
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I borrowed this from the library but think it may be one to buy. I think it would make a great reference book in the kitchen for anyone who is a CSA member or enjoys cooking with veggies. Some of the ingredients seem a bit fussy (the pandowdy I made called for spelt flour), but I think it would be easy to make substitutions so the recipes are more accessible.
Leslie
This had a LOT of information on plant families (focusing on vegetables/herbs, obviously). Most of the recipes were more on the "gourmet" coming from a chef, but they also seem very doable. It was interesting to learn and look at cooking vegetables by knowing their plant family.
Mina-Louise Berggren
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks-food
An absolutely gorgeous book.
Kay
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This was a great way to get into some of the more unusual vegetables. Madison is heavy on the use of ghee and yogurt, in the best way. Organized by plant family, then further split by species.
Rachel Rose
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful. It's very informative on how to prepare and cook with a variety of vegetables. The recipes are simple, but sound delicious.
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • The Green Kitchen: Delicious and Healthy Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes
  • The Improvisational Cook
  • Moosewood Restaurant Favorites: The 250 Most-Requested, Naturally Delicious Recipes from One of America's Best-Loved Restaurants
  • River Cottage Veg Every Day!
  • Small Plates and Sweet Treats: My Family's Journey to Gluten-Free Cooking
Deborah Madison is an American chef, writer and cooking teacher. She has been called an expert on vegetarian cooking and her gourmet repertoire showcases fresh garden produce. Her work also highlights Slow Food, local foods and farmers' markets.