Start by marking “Kindness, Clarity, and Insight” as Want to Read:
Kindness, Clarity, and Insight

Kindness, Clarity, and Insight

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  188 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Nearly twenty-five years after its original publication, Kindness, Clarity, and Insight is still widely considered the most readable, yet substantive and wide-ranging, of His Holiness' works. Broad in scope and revealing the depth of his knowledge, these teachings display the range of the Dalai Lama and his message, covering a plethora of topics, including: the need for co ...more
Published January 8th 2013 by Snow Lion (first published 1984)

Rubina
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy, spiritual
This book is a collection of 20 lectures by the Dalai Lama during this first visits to the United States in 1979 and 1981, and Canada in 1980. His message of encouragement to all to develop compassion, love and respect for others; to share and show concern for the sufferings of others; and to be less selfish is constant and clear throughout his speeches. There are a few topics / chapters which cover concepts that may be difficult for a casual reader to understand, but by large, this is still a g ...more
Erika
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book four times. Every time I read it, it makes me a better person for a couple of days afterward. I guess I should read it every three days or so.
Robin Friedman
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dalai Lama In America

In 1979, after substantial political effort, H.H. the Dalai Lama made his first visit to the United States. He travelled across the country and delivered a series of lectures. The Dalai Lama visited Canada in 1980 and returned to the United States in 1981 and many times thereafter. In 1981, the Dalai Lama and his editor and translator, Professor Jeffrey Hopkins, published a book of the Dalai Lama's early lectures in North America, "Kindness, Clarity, and Insight." It was
Rob
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reading
'...a quote from Nagarjuna's The Five Stages: "Everything is like the meditative stabilization of illusion." In quoting this, Tsongkhapa establishes that all environments and beings are the sport of mere wind and mind.'
Kara Daniels
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an insightful book, whether you're starting your journey into Buddism or not, I think this is something everyone should read. If we could all remember one word throughout our day, that being "compassion", the world would be a much better place. This book has allowed me to live a better quality of life by stopping myself before letting others or anger get the best of me.

A few passages that really stuck out to me:
Pg. 27
Third paragraph

Pg. 32
Second & Third paragraph

Pg. 39
Last paragraph

Pg. 4
Julia Southwick
I absolutely LOVED the Book of Joy, so I wanted to delve into more of the Dalai Lama’s writings. This book is a compilation of his lectures during his three visits to North America. Some of them were fantastic and really resonated with me, but some of them went WAY over my head, as I don’t know nearly enough about Buddhism. I think there is a lot of beauty and truth found in Buddhism though! Our world could sure benefit from the altruism, compassion, meditation, etc that he speaks of!

(Only givin
Elizabeth Wilkie
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the book to read if you want to expand your academic knowledge about Tibetan Buddhist culture, doctrine, and philosophy. The chapters are long enough to get the point across, but some of the philosphocal portions are difficult to grasp because of the repetition of words and complexity of the various Buddhist School of philosophy. I enjoyed the chapters about compassion, and kindness, as they were easier to understand because it can be applied to my day-t0-day life.
gestalt
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
Well, he is the DL. Excellent book.
Mala Ashok
I found the book very difficult to understand. I do feel though that if I start practicing meditation and reread the book repeatedly it will make sense. A good buy.
Holly Socolow
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a series of talks given by HHDL on his first visit to North America in 1979. He speaks to the US Congress, colleges and universities, community organizations, churches and Buddhist centers. I found it fascinating to see how he geared his remarks to his audiences. I am interested in Buddhism, but am not a scholar by any means. I found his talks to the general public more understandable than his academic lectures in Buddhist centers which were way over my head.
Susannah
Found this on my roommate's shelves. I read a biography of XIV Dalai Lama's life when I was 14 that went up to his exile from Tibet. It made a profound impression on me from which I gratefully have never recovered. And this one will make for excellent bed-time reading...consumed with curiousity as I am to read his lectures.
Sophie Zapoli
Even though some of the concepts of Buddhism were a little over my head, the Dalai Lama's overall message of compassion and love was very inspiring and can be applied to anyone's life situation. I think that we can all learn something from this amazing man and this book was a perfect way to understand his message for those of us who weren't lucky enough to be there when he made these speeches.
Dixen
Feb 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title is self explanatory. This book has been an intermittent read for me for a couple of years now. It's great in the way that you can pick it up from anywhere and still have something of value to retain.
Marguerite
Jan 03, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far, this is mostly over my head (there's a lot of Buddhist theory that takes a while to pick apart and understand), but there are some observations that he makes about the mind that are fun to mull over.
Alain
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Une série de conférences ou plutôt d'allocutions du dalai lama. Très court. Très inégal car soit très consensuel grand public, soit dans le développement théologique mais alors sur des points très spécifiques du bouddhisme. Malheureusement vite lu vite oublié
Dorothy
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of the Dalai Lama's speeches. Who can argue with the Dalai. Great message of peace and kindness.
Ben-omi Siol-Torquil
rated it did not like it
Jun 27, 2015
Aug 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Rasmus, Pontus und der Schwertschlucker
  • Shamanism
  • Prohibited Book (Prohibited Books #1)
  • After the Empire: The Breakdown of the American Order
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others in Your Life
  • Persecución
  • Work Your Way Around the World
  • Healing Emotions: Conversations with the Dalai Lama on Mindfulness, Emotions, and Health
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Of Paradise and Power: America and Europe in the New World Order
  • Single White Female
  • The Rubadub Mystery (Barney Mysteries, #4)
  • Not For Happiness: A Guide to the So-Called Preliminary Practices
  • Speaking in Tongues
  • File System Forensic Analysis
  • The Secret of Shark Reef (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #30)
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the