Start by marking “Earth 2, Vol. 1: The Gathering” as Want to Read:
Earth 2, Vol. 1: The Gathering

Earth 2, Vol. 1: The Gathering

(Earth 2 (2012) #1)

With the many changes to the DC Universe during the DC Comics: The New 52 event, many readers have wondered what became of the Justice Society of America. In Earth 2, James Robinson looks to answer the question: Who are the heroes of Earth 2?

• When the Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman of Earth 2 fall in battle, it’s up to a new breed of heroes to come together to combat t
Published March 13th 2013 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Earth 2, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earth 2, Vol. 1

Alejandro
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A parallel universe borns again!

I got this in their single issues, but I will use the option of the TPB to be to make a better overall review of the whole storyline.

The concept of "Earth-2" is nothing new in this "New 52" era of DC Comics, since the publishing house already used this parallel universe on the Silver Age of Comics, where in an iconic issue of The Flash, titled Flash of Two Worlds (1961), where they, in an ingenious way, explained why "The Flash" character on the Golden Age was J
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

First off, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the Justice Society of America from Earth-2. As a kid, I always enjoyed their guest appearances in other DC comics, so it isn’t difficult to convince me to like these guys.

Second, What If stories are some of my favorites. Sometimes, they can be a bit irritating or ridiculous, but when handled correctly, they provide a nice twist to the familiar.

With both of those things being said, I fully expected
Anne
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hey, not bad!
Alternate universes and What If stories have sort of grown on me over the years, so I was hoping Earth 2 was going to be a decent read. And it was.
I like how all of these characters have been reinvented. They're not really b-grade heroes, but they're definitely second stringers. At this point anyway.
I know, I know. The original Green Lantern and the original Flash aren't second string. Blah, blah, blah.
Geez! You know what I'm trying to say, so don't get your panties in a knot.

I tho
Sud666
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of this story. Most of the "new" stuff from D.C. has not been all that great. So it was with surprise I ran into Earth 2. Part of the D.C. multiverse, it is a different dimension with different story arcs.

The story starts with Steppenwolf and the hordes of Apokolips parademons invading the Earth. They were opposed by the greatest heroes of Earth- Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman. In the resulting clash- the big three and their hangers-on (Supergir
Shannon
There's some promise in the setup for Earth 2 but it devolves to the mundane stories of superheroes that have been overdone.

Two stars for the story and plotting but the artwork is about a four which puts this to a three star. Grudgingly.

OVERALL GRADE: B minus.
Sesana
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Basically DC's New 52 take on the Justice Society. Except, because Reasons, these older versions of staple characters have to be in an entirely different reality. Hence we have Earth 2, where all the heroes that normally make headlines are dead. Somebody at DC deserves to be slapped for the blatant false advertising of putting the Big Three on the cover of the trade when they don't even survive the first issue. At any rate, the characters who take over are essentially updated versions of Silver ...more
Sam Quixote
Feb 04, 2014 rated it liked it
What if, like the first story arc of New 52 Justice League, Earth was attacked by Parademons except the Justice League – or Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman anyway – managed to stop them but were killed at the same time? The planet would be saved but the Age of Wonders (superheroes) would be over. And then one day new Wonders started appearing again … That’s the premise of Earth 2.

Earth 2 isn’t among the worst of the New 52 I’ve read and it’s actually not bad in a mindless-entertainment kinda
[Name Redacted]
DC's "Earth 2" series is yet another disappointment, this time made all the worse because of how much potential it had and how many good ideas they foolishly mis-use.

The cover is a lie, first of all. Based on the vague description in the ads and the cover, I had assumed it would begin shortly after Countdown or thereabouts, with Batman, Superman & Wonder Woman having died and a new generation rising to fill their places (given the cover art, I assumed it would be, in effect, Batman 2, Superm
Arturo
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dc-2012-earth2
The first issue is great, anytime we have an alternate timeline where the status quo can be changed drastically is refreshing. We deal with Sups, Bats and Wonder Woman fighting in the Apokolips War, with help from Power Girl and Huntress (who we learn we could follow to their Worlds Finest series). Overall A 5star 1st issue.
The next five issues we're introduced to GL Alan Scott, Flash- Jay Garrick (who I wouldn't mind the costume change if he was a well developed character) Hawkgirl and The Atom
Robert
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc, hoopla
What can I say? I'm a real sucker for an Elseworlds tale. Also, this universe's version of Solomon Grundy is badass!
Cookie
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
That was an okaish read. Fairly entertaining all in all.

But way too many characters which prevents character development. By the end of this you don't really care for or know any of them.

The major problem, however is the writing. It is so on the nose and tacky. It makes the whole comic seem cheap. There is an attempt at exposition through dialogue and thoughts of the characters but it is so clumsily carried out, it's unnerving. The dialogue/writing just pulled me out of it. Didn't feel genuine
Kyle
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dcu
I really enjoyed this first volume of Earth 2, but I didn't think it was a great comic. It had a lot of action, and it was nice to see a true reboot of the JSA; however, it was a little light in content, and heavy on the fromage.

I love the Elseworlds feel to this collection, and more than that, I am thrilled to get an actual, genuine, true to definition reboot of something! There are a lot of characters that people will recognize in this collection, but they have been augmented and updated just
Eli
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-comics, 2016
This was enjoyable, but I don't really see any point in continuing this series (for me). I liked seeing other heroes get more attention and it was kind of interesting to see the political set-up of this alternate Earth, but it didn't pack all that much of a punch. I liked Green Lantern, the Flash, and Hawkgirl but they didn't get enough attention to make any of them endearing really. But I did love that this Green Lantern is gay!

Also part of the reason I didn't really love this was because I was
Timothy Boyd
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Very nice beginning for this alternate world version of the DC heroes. Nice new stories and ideas used. Recommended
Steve
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent retelling of the alternate earth that isn't quite the same as the Earth-1 we're all familiar with. I especially liked the new origin stories of Golden Age Flash and Green Lantern, and how they worked in a new story for Hawkgirl and The Atom.

This is a writer's dream, being able to take known characters and changing things up, sometimes very drastically. It's almost like reading the old Elseworlds imprint DC used to publish back in the 90s.
William Thomas
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I let out a loud groan when I read that DC was developing an ongoing Earth 2 series. Although Grant Morrison's mini was good, I just didn't see why it was necessary to have an ongoing series outside continuity when there are just too many unused characters in regular continuity. I figured the only saving grace would be James Robinson- and I was absolutely right.

I stayed away from the single issues of this book for some very obvious reasons. DC, since the Nu reboot, seems to just be throwing shi
Hannah Givens
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
June 8 2013: I started sniffling in the first issue. The FIRST ISSUE. It's not the JSA I know and love -- they're inspired by a sort of Justice League instead of the other way around -- but that's okay. I like the way it's a cohesive idea and mythos, and I like the symbology. If no one's ever called Superman "the sun god" before, they should have. The green-vs.-death champions plot is basically Swamp Thing, but maybe it's supposed to be the same idea on the parallel world. Green Lantern is magni ...more
Jbainnz
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
After reading this through for the second time I can safely give this 4 stars, I might even go as far to give it 4.5!

This is a great 'elseworld' title that brings characters from the golden age into the new 52 universe. We start off 5 years in the past with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman in battle against Apokolips. Don't let the cover fool you though as these guys aren't in the book for long, which I found to be quite refreshing. In the spotlight we see Jay Garrick (The Flash), Kendra Saunde
Lenka
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
This is the biggest disappointment from the New 52 I read so far. And I had such high hopes for this series because I wanted to see more of the Golden Age characters, and here they are.
I never really cared much for Hawkgirl but she's great here and I love her costume. Flash is nice, cause Flash is always a nice guy no matter which one I've got a soft spot for speedsters, his costume's nice though that helmet looks a bit ridiculous.
I'm not so much into new GL costume, and what kinda bothered me
Gavin
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I VERY much enjoyed this. Repelling an Apokolips attack from Earth 2, Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman die, as Batman makes the discovery that is able to defeat the evil forces.

Taking up about 5 years after this, we come across college slacker Jay Garrick, gay Business Tycoon Alan Scott, Army Sgt. Al Pratt, and Hawkgirl Kendra Saunders.

We also briefly glimpse 2 different Mr. Terrifics, Sandmen of Wesley Dodds, and the mention of Red Tornado.

The major bad guy here is also an interesting choice..
Amanda
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Don't put Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman on the cover and then kill them in the first 5 pages.
Shannon
I'm gonna be real, I mostly skimmed this.
Ricky Ganci
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-52
Zany antics abound in our first glimpse (sort of) of the New 52 Multiverse, and James Robinson and Nicola Scott give us a weird, quasi world government, a lot of saint language to celebrate the fallen Trinity (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, of course), and a new use for a B-list villain that can only provide just the right degree of adversity to bring together, hopefully, the fledgling team of new "Wonders" to protect the world.

It sounds like a scaled-back mega-plot, and to some extent, that
Keith Davis
Jun 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
James Robinson has shown in books like The Golden Age and Starman that he has a real affinity for DC's older legacy characters, but the characters in Earth 2 are not actually the DC golden age characters. These are brand new characters with the same names as the old characters. If this book was set on yet another world of the multiverse, a world with alternate versions of Jay Garrick and Alan Scott, while the original versions existed simultaneously on their own Earth, I would be more comfortabl ...more
Jeremy
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this compilation of first six issues of DC's New 52 EARTH 2 series-- enjoyed, but didn't LOVE. There was nothing specifically wrong in it for me-- I bought it because I was very much interested in the updates and rebranding of familiar Golden Age heroes like Alan Scott's Green Lantern or Al Pratt's Atom. I was also a big fan of James Robinson's STARMAN series in the 1990s, so I thought this was a surefire hit...and maybe it will be eventually. The biggest problem for me with this book, ...more
Paige
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I actually liked this a lot more then I thought I was going to. I've read some of the comics that happen later on in the Earth 2 story line and was never overly fond of them. I think after reading this graphic novel, I'll be able to read the individual comics and have a better understanding of what is going on. I loved the introduction of the characters in this novel. Like how the Earth 2 version of the Flash got the name Flash, and how the government was training "wonders." I think all these li ...more
David
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
What a pleasant surprise! Wasn't expecting much for this title. It looked too far from the old Earth-2 I know and love. As a kid I much preferred DC's Earth-2 stories and heroes to the regular Earth-1.

I'm delighted James Robinson, one of DC's top writers, has outdone himself with the story that retells Earth-2 for a new generation. The art is top-notch.

...

Perhaps my favorites of the New 52 books.
Fábio Fernandes
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent, creepy new take on Earth 2, one of the most interesting concepts created by DC Comics on its Silver Age. Robinson (Starman) starts with a BANG! (no spoilers) right in the first pages and then proceeds calmly (but with a fast pace) to introduce us to old characters, entirely revamped in a very interesting fashion, like a gender-swapped Red Tornado and a gay Green Lantern, making this one of the most exciting and well-written titles of the New 52 series.
Kris
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Liked the premise and the new origins for the characters - especially liked that they threw in some nods to other characters like Wesley Dodds' Sandman. The costumes were kinda goofy looking - Flash's looked like a combo of the Flash and Max Mercury (with some kind of Ant Man-looking helmet). And the dialog gave me literal physical pain. Literally.
Retro Chapter Chi...: Jen's Personal Comic Book Challenge 6 26 May 06, 2015 08:16PM

• Stormwatch, Volume 1: The Dark Side
  • Legion Lost, Vol. 1: Run from Tomorrow
  • Resurrection Man, Volume 1: Dead Again
  • Earth 2, Vol. 4: The Dark Age
  • I, Vampire, Vol. 1: Tainted Love
James Robinson is a British writer, best known for his work in comic books and screenplays. He is well-known for his encyclopedic knowledge of comic book continuity, especially regarding the Golden Age of comic books. His earliest comic book work came in the late 1980s, but he became best known for his revitalization of the character Starman for DC comics in the 1990s. In addition, he has written ...more

Earth 2 (2012) (6 books)