Start by marking “Listen to the Echoes: The Ray Bradbury Interviews” as Want to Read:
Listen to the Echoes: The Ray Bradbury Interviews

Listen to the Echoes: The Ray Bradbury Interviews

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  191 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
A definitive collection of interviews with one of America's most famous writers, covering his life, faith, friends, politics, and visions of the future.

Ray Bradbury, the poetic and visionary author of such classics as Fahrenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man, is one of the most influential writers of the 20th century. From Mikhail Gorbachev to Alfred
Published June 12th 2012 by Stop Smiling Books (first published June 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Listen to the Echoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Listen to the Echoes

Josh
Nov 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I disagree with so many of Bradbury's opinions (Reagan was one of the best presidents; 2001 was a terrible film; In Cold Blood was Capote's worst book; Norman Mailer and Jackson Pollock are worthless; Joyce, Proust, and Nabokov are boring; Andy Warhol was an idiot; plot is more important than formal style), but I can't help liking this man after reading this collection of interviews conducted during the last decade by his biographer, Sam Weller. Now in his nineties, Bradbury is so full of love f ...more
Aaron Poorman
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: subliminalmaybe
Simply put Ray Bradbury is the reason I read science fiction. He isn't the only writer in the field I read, but his writing best exemplifies what I love about the genre. There are technical masters like Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke - men who might be too smart for their own good. They can tell you kinds of marvelous things about technology and the way things work. Ray has never been quite so concerned with such details, as he says in one interview he doesn't care how to build a rocket - he just w ...more
Mike Jozic
I love oral histories. Biographies and memoir are all good and well enough, but there is something I particularly appreciate about the purity and the immediacy of primary sources discussing a topic of interest in their own words, mostly unfiltered through the perspective of the individual author.

It is because of this that I was quite thrilled to discover Sam Weller's book of interviews with Ray Bradbury. I'm not a huge fan of Bradbury's body of work but I have genuinely enjoyed what I have read
RBR Books
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are a few writers whose work stays with you long after you've put the book on the shelf. Stories that echo through your mind; inspiring, provoking, relaxing, or motivating. Tales that evoke simpler times when life was buoyed by breezes bending dandelions in the backyard, or reminding one to contemplate their place in history. Loving stories that wrap you in their visions of good and evil, life and living, death and dying. All brought to life from within the pages of a book that smells and ...more
Ben
Sep 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Sam Weller's biography of Bradbury wasn't enough indication, then this set of interviews confirms he is clearly an unabashed super-fan of the man who makes the capital "B" in the "ABC's of Science Fiction (Asimov and Clakre being the A & C).

And by most rights that is perfectly fine and makes this a nice (if somewhat redundant) companion to The Bradbury Chronicles. Weller prompts and lets Bradbury spout his doctrine; rarely does Weller prod for fear of stepping on toes or going over the l
Sheila Beaumont
I've just reread this book, and I enjoyed it every bit as much as I did on my first reading, two years ago. Here's my review from August 2010:

I loved these interviews! Ray Bradbury is a fascinating person, and the book is really inspiring, since he has such great enthusiasm about people and things. He's opinionated, too, which adds to the fun. Among the topics covered are Bradbury's childhood, movies, comics, famous friends, religion, politics, and science fiction.

Here's a small sampling of Brad
Mark
Sep 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While covering much of the same ground as the biography by the same author, this book is just interviews with Bradbury. The chapters are divided by subjects which range from Art to Sex, etc...
If there is any flaw in this book (as well as the bio.), it is that Mr. Weller idolizes Ray Bradbury perhaps too much; and Bradbury portrays himself as always the good guy where problems that have arisen in his life are usually someone elses fault. He even manages to justify the couple of extra-marital affa
Chet
I love Ray Bradbury. This book only solidified that for me. Each time I sat down to read it, which was fairly frequently, I felt as if I was having a conversation with the man myself. It's highly enjoyable, and you see a lot of how Bradbury's opinions have either stayed very similar or changed from when he was young to his ninth decade on planet Earth.

There are a few things that are talked about more than once in the interviews, and the whole thing is probably old news for those who have read W
Benjamin Chandler
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty exhaustive interview with Bradbury which reveals much of the inner workings of the beloved author.

I think I prefer these kinds of interviews to straight biographies. For one, they're really easy to read. Secondly, I think by letting the interviewee speak their mind, it allows the reader to come to their own conclusion about the person. There's no subjective lens the author forces you to see through. So, while Bradbury tells charming stories, he also reveals his thoughts on politics, ar
Artur Coelho
Bradbury soube manter viva dentro de si a chama da ingenuidade, deleito e encanto infantil e transmutou-a numa obra vasta e influente que encanta gerações. Nesta série de entrevistas Sam Weller ajuda-nos a conhecer um pouco mais do homem por detrás da letras, recolhendo histórias da sua vida e opiniões que vão da politica às literaturas de género, ficção científica e futurismo. Sem ser um livro fundamental, deixa-nos a saber um pouco mais sobre o homem que criou ficções influentes e escrevia por ...more
Courtney
A friend of mine lent me his copy of this book years ago (while Mr. Bradbury was still alive) and I just now read it. I think that part of me was worried about tarnishing my views of one of my favorite authors, so I kept putting off picking this up.
I shouldn't have worried.
Sure, I disagree with some of Bradbury's opinions, but they're just that--opinions. I was delighted to see that he is such a lighthearted, enthusiastic, childlike person. I love how he sees the wonder in the world and beyond.
Jeff Messerman
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this weeping.

Do you know hard it is to read when there's water all over your pupils and irises?

I'm lucky enough to have a father who is living and breathing and wonderful. I'm extra lucky to have a bunch of literary fathers and this man is the father of the fathers. (Did that come out too biblical? Sorry...)

While you're better served just reading the man's actual stories over a cluster of interviews, this particular cluster serves as a lovely 'writer's commentary' while you take in Ray's
Aaron
Nov 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting to understand his politics - he made some weird right-wing comments in later life that don't seem to line up with the message of love in his books.

Unintentionally very funny and ripe for parody. Ray is an obnoxiously fame-hungry sissy-boy who weeps at the slightest provocation. There's a whole chapter of, "I met my hero Federico Fellini. I told him I loved him. He told me he loved me. I wept with joy."

Definitely worth reading if you're into Bradbury.
Maryann Troche
Superb!

Reading this book makes me personally want to know Ray Bradbury. To have grown up with him and been his friend, his shadow. I can only say that his success is due to never having to work a day in his life and never letting that inner child grow up or leave him. I've never read anything by Bradbury but after reading him personally now I want to read all his imaginings. Thank you for this beautiful interview Sam Weller!
Mattadrian
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tremendously entertaining book. A complex, very human man who has clearly been in love with life since a child. The book is divided into chapters/topics like "Sexuality," "Politics" and "His Own Work." Bradbury proves with his answers that his views are his own and gives very convincing arguments in support of them. As he says, "I hate labels."

Meeting him in person was one of the finest moments of my life.
Joy
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serious
I cut my fantasy teeth on Bradbury at some distant age with one digit. He shaped so much of my expectations for what is a good story to this day. So his own oral history invites you into his head and life revealing the man behind the curtain.

I'm marking this as read not because I finished it but because its going into the bedside stack of essays and poetry that I flip through randomly when I want inspirational thoughts.
Kristy
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A series of in-depth interviews with the exuberant, optimistic, sometimes contradictory, occasionally frustrating, and always entertaining Ray Bradbury, by Sam Weller, who wrote the definitive biography of the famous and beloved author. If you don't love Bradbury, it's possible that you aren't actually human. And in these interviews we see that Bradbury himself is as human as they come. An excellent and enjoyable oral history with the kind of man that really just can't exist anymore.
Wes Metz
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bradbury speaks his mind in this interview. One of the few remaining masters of science fiction, Bradbury, at ninety, mentally is as sharp and deep as ever. If you love books, and poetry, and dreams, you can't help loving Bradbury, and if you've never read him (how could that be?!?!) do it, and do it soon. Don't let his label as a 'science fiction' writer put you off - he's much more than that.
Sascha Illyvich
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up to see if I could learn anything from the master of Science Fiction. I did. a LOT. I'm not a sci/fi writer by nature but I do incorporate a lot of it in my erotic romances, blending the two genres. Bradbury's career has been an inspiration and the interviews here capture that and gave me something I as an author needed. Wonderful read. Very fascinating man.
Robin
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I devour pretty much anything by or about Ray Bradbury. I just like reading about his memories and his philosophies on creativity and life. This book of interviews has some good stuff that wasn't in his biography.
Todd
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bradbury was the author that got me hooked on science fiction, and I have been ever since. This is an entertaining book that is an easy read. It was great to get some insights on how Bradbury sees himself and the world around him.
Samantha
These interviews dampened my reverence for Ray. Too much focus on his famous friendships, not enough wandering through the worlds in his mind.
Kari
Jul 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bradbury
Halfway through this book, I fell in love with a 90 year old man named Ray Bradbury...
Caroline
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
an awesome book! I have a newfound fondness of Sam Weller, he is an amazing interviewer. Only thing was how it kin of dragged on towards the end, but otherwise, perfect!
Samantha
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any absolute treasure. I'll be rereading this one.
Mom
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Of course, I've been a fan of Ray Bradbury's for over fifty years so these interviews were especially interesting to me, which they might not be for another person.
Derrick
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unimaginably beautiful. The life of the man is almost as fantastic as anything he's dreamed of.
Stephanie
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library, ebook
It's great to get into the mind of one of my favorite authors. I was least engaged by the parts about other famous people and most engaged by hearing about his process and creativity.
Craig Cottongim
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cried the day Bradbury died. I'm thankful to have read this, to get a behind the scene view of him.
Dan Yingst
I came out of this really liking Bradbury and wanting to return to some of his books. I suppose that's all you can ask for.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Feminist Literary Theory: A Reader
  • Starr Bright Will Be with You Soon
  • Bradbury Speaks: Too Soon from the Cave, Too Far from the Stars
  • Becoming Dickens: The Invention of a Novelist
  • The Barrens
  • Memoir: A History
  • Ending Evil (Evil Secrets Trilogy, #3)
  • Creative Journal Writing: The Art and Heart of Reflection
  • Sade: A Biography
  • Writing Steampunk!
  • Romans
  • Listening to the Language of the Bible: Hearing It Through Jesus' Ears
  • Women Who Love Books Too Much: Bibliophiles, Bluestockings & Prolific Pens from the Algonquin Hotel to the YA-YA Sisterhood
  • Reading Lips: A Memoir of Kisses
Sam Weller is the author of The Bradbury Chronicles: The Life of Ray Bradbury (William Morrow, 2005) winner of the Society of Midland Author's Award for Best Biography of 2005. The book was also a finalist for the prestigious Bram Stoker Award. Sam is the former Midwest Correspondent for Publishers Weekly. He is a contributing writer for the Chicago Public Radio program, 848 and his work has appea ...more
More about Sam Weller...

“I have three rules to live by: Get your work done. If that doesn't work, shut up and drink your gin, and when all else fails, run like hell.” 32 likes
“We use certain authors at certain times of our lives, and we may never go back to them again.” 2 likes