Start by marking “The Church: Unlocking the Secrets to the Places Catholics Call Home” as Want to Read:
The Church: Unlocking the Secrets to the Places Catholics Call Home

The Church: Unlocking the Secrets to the Places Catholics Call Home

From the bestselling authors of The Mass, an insightful and practical guide that explores the architectural and spiritual components of the Catholic Church.

Your local church is not only a physical place, but a spiritual home. In this thought-provoking book, Wuerl and Aquilina illuminate the importance of the Church in its many guises and examine the theological ideas behin
Published March 5th 2013 by Image

To ask other readers questions about The Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Church

Julie Davis
Aug 06, 2013 Julie Davis rated it it was amazing
The sacramental principle tells us that, since the Word became flesh, God has begun to heal and restore his creation. Spiritual light can now shine through the material world. On one level, bread and wine; on another, oil, candles, fabrics and paint, bricks, blocks, and filigree--all these can mediate God's presence in the world.

I honestly thought I already reviewed this book. When I saw it on my "to review" stack, I thought it was misstacked (I'm pretty sure that's a word ... or, like Shakespea
Skylar
Feb 11, 2013 Skylar rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
As a non-Christian who is more familiar than most with Catholic churches, I still found this an interesting read. Very succint and informative without getting bogged down into minutiae. I expected the book to be more about architecture, but it describes normal components of Catholic churches and explains why they're there. What is the scriptural source? Why is it build this way and not another way? What is the symbolism? I don't think someone unfamiliar with Catholicism would "get" this book.

My
Stuart
May 13, 2013 Stuart rated it it was amazing
The Church begins simply by explaining what a church is and why people are willing to sacrifice so much and live in poverty to construct these lavish and ornate buildings. It then goes on to explain what THE Church is, as in one, holy, catholic, and apostolic. He also explains some of the different names for it, including Mother and Ship to name a few. You may think this is all very basic information that most people know, but the book then progresses to my favorite part. It breaks down every as ...more
Kelsea Dawn Hume
This field guide to Catholic churches was easy to understand, but the historical aspects bordered on simplistic. As it really is a field guide, I would have loved more example pictures, but I enjoyed the thoughtful explanations of church rituals attached to various pieces of architecture.

Read If:

- You're about to go visit a bunch of cathedrals and have no religious background.

- You're a writer and need to understand what all the bits of a church are used for.

*Thank you First Reads.*

CW Green
Jan 15, 2016 CW Green rated it it was amazing
Cardinal Wuerl writes an erudite and pious exploration of the typical Catholic church building, explaining in simple and easily accessible language how the building reflects the reality of the Church as the People of God. For Catholics, it's a wonderful resource to renew and deepen their understanding of the theology behind church buildings. For non-Catholics, a great guidebook to basic Catholic liturgical beliefs. Highly recommended.
Ruth
Apr 06, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
When I used to teach third grade religious education in my parish, one of my favorite chapters taught about the "stuff" in the church. We'd take a tour of the church and learn about the names and uses of all those things the kids hopefully saw on a regular basis. This book is like my tour, only for grown-ups. Full reviewhttp://rannthisthat.blogspot.com/2013...
Orchid
Orchid rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Deb  McGrogan
Deb McGrogan rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2017
Jason Custer
Jason Custer rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2013
John Rich
John Rich rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Clare
Clare rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Liz Scheffe
Liz Scheffe rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
Amy Johns
Amy Johns rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2017
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2013
Karen Peters
Karen Peters rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2013
Camilla
Camilla rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Jamesb
Jamesb rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2013
Chels S
Chels S rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Jerilyn
Jerilyn rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Cindy Gates
Cindy Gates marked it as to-read
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Alaina Maxam
Alaina Maxam marked it as to-read
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Marcy
Marcy marked it as to-read
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Denise Zarcone
Denise Zarcone marked it as to-read
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Kim Coomey
Kim Coomey marked it as to-read
Shelley Lee
Shelley Lee marked it as to-read
Sandi Widner
Sandi Widner marked it as to-read
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
cheryl
cheryl marked it as to-read
Joann Glasser
Joann Glasser marked it as to-read
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Patricia Cochran
Patricia Cochran marked it as to-read
H.E. Regis
H.E. Regis marked it as to-read
Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Kim Hathorn
Kim Hathorn marked it as to-read
Deb Kastner
Deb Kastner marked it as to-read
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
David Bathurst
David Bathurst marked it as to-read
Jean Hall
Jean Hall marked it as to-read
Lori Van Buskirk
Lori Van Buskirk marked it as to-read
Violet
Violet marked it as to-read
Shayna L.
Shayna L. marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2013
Mike Aquilina is author or editor of more than thirty books on Catholic history, doctrine, and devotion.
More about Mike Aquilina...