Start by marking “Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)” as Want to Read:
Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)

Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles #5)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  31,607 Ratings  ·  1,352 Reviews
After twelve years of secret training, Atticus O’Sullivan is finally ready to bind his apprentice, Granuaile, to the earth and double the number of Druids in the world. But on the eve of the ritual, the world that thought he was dead abruptly discovers that he’s still alive, and they would much rather he return to the grave.

Having no other choice, Atticus, his trusted I
Published November 27th 2012 by Del Rey (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Trapped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trapped

Michelle
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the first three books. As I continue with the series, it just keeps getting more outrageous and messy. Besides, Atticus should grow up. He's 2 thousand years old for crying out loud! I guess if everything comes easy for you, you'll never learn how to live with the consequences of your actions. I really thought it will get better, but I got "Tricked". Now I'm "Trapped" with the dilemma to either continue or abandon this story. With the 7th title, "Shattered", I'm kind of hesitant t ...more
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
Okay... I'm going to try something a little different. One would hope, at this point, that anyone interested in reading the Iron Druid (this installment specifically) would have read the previous books. So instead of telling you what a clever dog Oberon is (he seriously deserves a treat) or mention how funny it is (I SO wish I could hear the story -in person- of "The Purloined Poodle" featuring two dogs and Abe Froman, the Sausage King of Chicago) or how action packed it is (okay, how many Gods ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
Good 😊 Accept I hate the narrator makes Oberon sound like a deranged Scooby Doo!
Patrick

I got to read #5 early! Ha ha! Mine is an evil laugh!

My only regret is that I didn't read the Two Ravens and One Crow novella that Hearne put out first.

It's listed as book 4.5, and I think it would have really helped to bridge the gap for me. When I started this one, I hit a sort of mental speed-bump when Twelve years had passed. It really threw me for a loop.

Alas, I didn't know about the novella before I started reading this one. And now, even though I do know about it. I probably won't be ab
Lyn
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Granuaile gets her time.

Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid series continues with Trapped, his 2012 entry into the adventures of Atticus, Granuaile and Oberon. Atticus’ initiate Granuaile MacTiernan has been a major character since the beginning novel of the series, 2011’s Hounded, but Trapped sees author Hearne spend more time with Granuaile as she works to complete her training and become a full druid alongside Atticus. And while the growing sexual tension between the two is a factor in the narrative, m
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Well, look at that! Once again, everyone’s favorite druid Atticus O’Sullivan somehow managed to anger just about every deity from every pantheon worshiped by mankind. (Well, everyone except Perun, but that’s understandable – Perun is Slavic and our gods are all kinds of awesome. Not too bright, but awesome.) This is turning out to be a special talent of Atticus’s, and a good thing too, or we would have nothing to read about.

After twelve (!) years of training, binding Granuaile to earth
Phrynne
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Number five in the series and I really enjoyed this one! At last we have achieved two Druids instead of just one and Atticus has a real partner in crime. Oberon is still making his smart comments, the gods are making war and the Fae are making mischief. Nothing new except that Atticus is digging himself deeper and deeper into trouble with just about everyone and everything. There's lots of very clever world building and plenty of action leading to a serious cliff hanger of an ending. I am loving ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Another time I want to go slowly and carefully as many of my friends love this series. Personally I'll never really be a fan. I went into this series based on the same recommendation I've had on a few other UF series, to wit "if you like Jim Butcher's Dresden series you'll like these".

Mostly this just proves how differently everyone sees the Dresden series.

Our protagonist here is a Druid (as far as he knows the last)(view spoiler) who's been a
♥Rachel♥
Loved how bad-ass Granuaile's become! And finally (view spoiler)

I don't know if I would say this ended on a cliffhanger but it was definitely a BIG "to be continued". I can't recommend the audio version of this series enough. Luke Daniels is the shit! He gets 5 stars for his performance.
Wanda
Granuaile finally gets to shine! And proves that wolfhound Oberon is correct in calling her Clever Girl.

To me, it feels like this series is kind of getting back on track, although Atticus is still working through the repercussions of poor choices made back in book 3 (Hammered).

However, Granuaile has finally become a Druid in her own right and hopefully will continue to be a steadying influence on Atticus. You’d think a guy as old as he is wouldn’t need steadying, but she keeps him focused on be
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
After the last Iron Druid book I read I wasn’t super excited for the next book in the series. I cannot actually remember what went wrong, but it still got 3 stars. No review though.

*tries to remember…

Nope. It’s not coming back. This book does pick up where the last left off so I wasn’t left wondering on that account, but not sure why I didn’t rate it higher. Either way I couldn’t find anything wrong with this one.

Action packed, humorous, well written and fun all the way. If you have read any o
Elspeth
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, urban-fantasy
When I got the email that I was accepted for a advance copy of Trapped I almost didn’t believe it. I stared at the email for a few minutes then quickly downloaded it to my kindle just in case they changed their minds.

At that point I hadn’t read Tricked yet, I have a very bad habit of hoarding series books that I love. I bounce back and forth from wanting to read it terribly to wanting to wait because as soon as I read it I will have to wait FOREVER for the next installment.

So after finishing Tri
Brandt
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone in the mood for some light and humorous UF..
2,5/5

Butcher keeps raising the bar for Urban Fantasy, and Hearne just provides more of the same..
This series keeps getting more and more uninteresting, 90 % of the characters in the books are gods..
Not humans, but superhumans with awesome powers.. However all the gods seems stupid, immature, and petty (and not at all powerful compared to Atticus..)
It's not that i have a problem with the amount of respect Hearne shows for his subject matter (which is close to non-existing, but what do i care), i
Andy
Its been a while old friend! AND 12 years has passed for Attacus too since his last adventure. It starts with an old friend dropping in on them like a bolt from the blue who finds them easy as..... its ok he didn’t know they were supposed to be dead he’d been an Eagle for a while now...... plot hole solved.

Then we’re reintroduced to a few Irish Gods & fae folk which isn’t apparently clear as to why & then a Norse god comes a calling...... it goes around a bit until we get to the nub of t
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
12 years later...

I love the cover for this; it's so nice to see Granuaile on there. And it was great to be back with the trio again (adding in Oberon, of course) but I have to say this was probably my least favourite book in the Iron Druid Chronicles so far.

I don't know if maybe it was me not paying close enough attention or if it was just a bit all over the place, but I spent much of the book a bit lost and confused, if I'm honest. Just sort of letting the words wash over me rather than fully
Kyle
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I’ve really been enjoying the Iron Druid Chronicles series. If nothing else, just the dialog between Atticus and his wolfhound Oberon has made the books worth the read.

Unfortunately book five, Trapped, was a bit of a disappointment. Atticus’ apprentice, Granuaile, has finally finished her training and is ready to be bound to the Earth and become a full fledged druid. But when his many enemies learn that he’s not as dead as they all thought he was, his life gets complicated.

So what did I not

D.G.
As usual, this was exciting book, full of interesting action and unexpected twists but I got mad by the way the business with Atticus and Granuaile got resolved. When I read a book in the first person, I expect to know something about that person's emotions but the author spent more time on wisecracks that on really revealing Atticus' feelings.

I don't know why I keep getting disappointed with the continued lack of emotional disclosure by Atticus. It's clear that the author is just not going ther
Stacia (the 2010 club)
note : all phrases in brackets [ ] are thoughts from my favorite dog, Oberon.

FINALLY. There were a few big 'finally' moments in Trapped. One of the biggest finally moments I refuse to spoil for you, but I think it's safe to mention that Granuaile finally became a full-fledged druid in this book because we've been waiting for it a long time and knew it was going to happen eventually. Yay for her getting her animal forms!
Granuaile's joy at this new (form) elicited an extremely loud road, startli
Tom Mathews
While enjoyable, this was not as good as the previous Iron Druid books that I've listened to. It centers around the initiation process of Atticus's apprentice, Granuaile, and his efforts to bind her to the earth and make her a full-fledged Druid. There is plenty of action but that appears to be thrown in just to provide, well, plenty of action.

As always, Luke Daniel's narration is excellent and, once again, he has managed to turn Atticus's mangy wolfhound, Oberon, into a comic genius worthy of
Christal
See this review and others like it at BadassBookReviews.com!

This book was fun “trapped” between a cover! I was skeptical when I saw Trapped would take us twelve years in the future, but I’ve learned not to doubt Kevin Hearne. This book was exciting, sexy, hilarious, tense, and everything in between. It is definitely one of the stronger entries in a consistently strong series.

We find Atticus and Granuaile still in hiding, but Granuaile has completed her druidic training and is ready to be bound t
Eric
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to get into the urban fantasy genre
Recommended to Eric by: Nicole Evans
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Now that I am caught up to real-time with this series, it seems like a good point to assess it as a whole. In previous reviews, I have praised two things that are starting to become formulaic, and hence losing their luster:

First is the idea that Atticus's actions have consequences. While I still love that their is significant plot development and that everything does not just "reset" to normal at the end of each book, I am starting to see a plot loop that looks something like this:
1) Atticus ne
Limbo
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start off by saying, by now it's getting pretty boring. It's mostly all the same crap, with none of the fun or interesting elements thrown in.

However, it's better than the last book.

But then, the last book was mostly just a giant cultural insult.

The power ratios are getting fairly stupid. Atticus is constantly cheat coding everything that moves. There're no stakes in any of the fights at all. And even Atticus' fun personality can't do anything to make those action sequences less boring.

Th
Maggie K
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I probably would have at least TRIED to finish this, but I left it at the beach, and have no interest in going to the trouble of finding another copy. The juvenalia type humor would be fine in small doses, but apparently this one wasn't edited, and I kept rolling my eyes at the 'one too many' jokes.
I cant beleive that when I first read Hounded I would have ever wanted Oberon to shut up.....very sad day.
Jacob Proffitt
Okay, this one is more of a running . . . run than anything resembling a plot. Atticus and Granuaile are coming out of the 12-year fade from the end of the last book. This is a wise decision (though I sense some short stories fit in there), as Granuaile needed those years for training and there's a limit to how much you can interrupt that or drag it out in a series. And Granuaile the graduate druid is nineteen kinds of awesome.

At least some of my trouble with the book is that Granuaile's "bindin
Kimberley doruyter
what the hell!
Ami
After loving this series for 4.5 books, this time I hit a bump. I don't know if it because I was in the wrong mood ... but the book felt off. Or maybe because of the 12-years time jump?

Atticus still likeable but Oberon was slightly annoying. I didn't find his quips as funny as the previous books. In fact, most often, his quips felt like filler, just an annoying background noise. I wasn't impressed with supposedly romance plot too -- PROBABLY because for the last 4.5 books, Atticus and Granuaile
Nita
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book jumps a whole decade. It takes 12 years to train a druid apprentice and Granuaile is just about done with her apprenticeship with Atticus. They just have her binding to the earth to do. They've been in hiding; most everyone, including the gods, think Atticus is dead. But just as they start Granuaile's binding, they are discovered. Atticus has many who wish him dead, including a few different gods and the dark elves.

This is my favorite Iron Druid Chronicle so far. What I really enjoyed
Majo
Spoilers de libros anteriores

Luego de un time skip de 12 años, Granuaile por fin está por convertirse en druida, pero el karma encuentra a su mentor, Atticus y se desata el infierno. Ambos deberán huir de los enemigos que los creyeron muertos por más de una década: los dioses nórdicos (view spoiler), el panteón greco-romano (view spoiler) y los vampiros del viejo mundo. (view spoiler)
Christy LoveOfBooks

4.5

“When in doubt, blame the dark elves.”

I love Atticus. I love Granuaile. I love Oberon. I love the humor . I love the secondary characters. I love Luke Daniels narrating. I love this series!

There you have it. The end.

Seriously, I’ve kind of been a slacker with this series, but no more! I’ve missed it too much. I like that Trapped jumps twelve years. Granuaile kicks ass now, and I can’t even tell you how much I love that Atticus finds it so attractive. He has confidence in her skills and trea
Alex
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books aren't long enough! Another 8 months until this book is out apparently. Sigh...that's a long time!

I love this series thus far, but if you've read the first chapter of this book which is included at the end of the 4th book, you know this one takes place 12 years later. I am not a big fan of books that time jump like that. Especially one this long.

The last book ends with Granuaile still being an inexperience Druid apprentice and now suddenly this book jumps 12 years and she's about to
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Monster Hunter Alpha (Monster Hunter International, #3)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • Spellcrash (Webmage, #5)
  • Carniepunk
  • Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files (The Dresden Files, #12.5)
  • Demon Driven (Demon Accords, #2)
  • Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim, #3)
Kevin is the NYT bestselling author of the Iron Druid Chronicles, as well as two forthcoming series: The Seven Kennings, an epic fantasy trilogy, and Tales of Pell, a fantasy series co-authored with Delilah S. Dawson. Books 1-8 of the Iron Druid Chronicles are out now; BESIEGED, a collection of new Iron Druid stories, will be out July 11; A PLAGUE OF GIANTS, the first book of The Seven Kennings, w ...more
More about Kevin Hearne...

The Iron Druid Chronicles (9 books)
  • Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4)
  • Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6)
  • Shattered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #7)
  • Staked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #8)
  • Scourged (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #9)

“When in doubt, blame the dark elves.” 58 likes
“Lie down and offer your throat. No, wait, that's how dogs submit. I know! Offer her you're wallet!" Oberon” 37 likes