Start by marking “Real Cajun: Rustic Home Cooking from Donald Link's Louisiana” as Want to Read:
Real Cajun: Rustic Home Cooking from Donald Link's Louisiana

Real Cajun: Rustic Home Cooking from Donald Link's Louisiana

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  277 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
An untamed region teeming with snakes, alligators, and snapping turtles, with sausage and cracklins sold at every gas station, Cajun Country is a world unto itself. The heart of this area—the Acadiana region of Louisiana—is a tough land that funnels its spirit into the local cuisine. You can’t find more delicious, rustic, and satisfying country cooking than the dirty rice, ...more
Published June 13th 2012 by Clarkson Potter (first published April 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Real Cajun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Real Cajun

Maren
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been wanting to eat Cajun food again ever since I spent a week in Lafayette in spring of last year. Where I live now, there's no way I'm going to get Cajun food unless I make it myself. I've especially been craving some nice jambalaya--and was so grateful and excited to find a recipe for it in this book! I think Link's recipe could feel daunting, since step 1 is to roast a chicken and step 2 is to make stock with the carcass, but I just happened to have already done both those things and sa ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, south
I bought this book at the eatery "Butcher" in New Orleans, after having the best shrimp and grits in my life. The grits were creamy with a tinge of brine and the sauce was littered with these blood-red morsels of bacon that were so succulent I felt guilty, as if the pig had just been slaughtered in the back an hour before. We also tried Boudin, which reminded me of the filling they put in Middle East dishes. Writing this made me hungry all over again...

Note: The recipes are pretty fattening--but
Mia
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
Recipes sounded and looked good, but overall most of them needed tweaking to just be edible. Too much work! When I buy a recipe book I just want to cook the recipes as is (or at least w/ minimal tweaking) and not stand there and think, "How can I save this?"

So, instructions were clear and the photos were nice, but the recipes were far from delicious. So disappointing! I was really craving some New Orleans cuisine.

David Reber
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-book
James Beard Award winning chef, paddling his pirogue right out of the Atchafalya Basin, shares his family's recipes from the bayou. Great stories from where these recipes came and I can't wait to get in my outside kitchen and get into his boudin bourre chicken thighs, crawfish etoufee, and dirty rice.

I'll let y'all know when me, Marie, and Boudreaux pass a good time and get to cookin' and we'll plan a fais do do. We'll satisfy the envie and catch up on ya momma an' them. We'll even get you a li
Anne
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This cookbook was a Christmas gift last year, and while I haven't finished it, I've made several recipes, all of which were delicious, and read most of the rest, which explains my drooling problem. Donald Link’s style is as engaging as the photography: his accounts of family crawfish boils and church suppers give a homestyle context to impeccably-shot, super-tasty food. This is the food he grew up eating, and while I think ease of preparation in a home kitchen will depend on how much time & ...more
Amy
Jun 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read Frank Bruni's 2008 review of Cochon, one of Donald Link's New Orleans restaurants, I actually started salivating. When I visited later in the year, it did not disappoint. Neither does Real Cajun, which features a few of Cochon's recipes, as well as some from Herbsaint, and some from Link's family, friends, and local favorites. Despite New Orleans' reputation for excess (and Link's obvious appreciation for fried oysters, fried chicken livers, fried chicken, and pork belly cracklins), ...more
Melissa
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
This cookbook provides an interesting description of Cajun culture and food. Although the recipes I tried worked well, I found them too rich for my personal health choices. In several cases, the author takes the traditional recipe and makes it even more fattening by adding lots of cream. However, I will use a couple of the dessert recipes for special occasions.
Rea K
Jun 11, 2015 marked it as cookbooks  ·  review of another edition
The gumbo recipe would probably be better if I could cook the roux properly. The crawfish etouffe is not bad (not a seafood fan) and I made it for my Meats, Fish, and Poultry class instead of the one in the book.
The broccoli and rice thing with homemade mushroom soup is good. Of course, the mushroom sherry soup from school kicks ass compared to this stuff, but not bad. And I don't like mushrooms.
That's all I remember cooking out of this.
I love the pictures, the stories, everything. Dude, I lo
Catherine Woodman
I think this is the best cookbook for the genre that I have seen--it came out this year with fellow New Orleans chef Jeff Besh's cookbook--they were both nominated as best American cookbook for both the IACP and the James Beard award--one won one, the other the other, so maybe it is just as good--We have made the dinner rolls, the biscuits, the jambalaya and the shrimp creole and they have all been spectacular--so it is more like Cochon food than Herbsaint--but very good and I would highly recom ...more
Marion Pilger
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great recipes. Amazing photography. I felt it was liking reading a family history book with lots of background information about the recipes and the ingredients and the people. Although not listed as an ingredient in any recipe in this cookbook - it seemed to me that there was a large spoonful of love stirred into every dish.
Derek
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-cooking
If you've been to to any of the Link eateries (Herbsaint, Couchon and Butcher) then you know that Link is the man when it comes to traditional Cajun. With great writing, pictures you could eat and a nice selection of some of Link's favorite southern cooking, if you buy this book, get a bike or a gym membership.
Jane
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had sumptious rich recipes but it is not Real Cajun. Most of the recipes are modernized and fusion.
They almost all use Mexican or Oriental chiles and herbs not part of the Cajun tradition.
Summer
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I haven't tried any of the recipes in this book yet (I can't wait!), but I loved reading it. I felt like he was describing my family and my childhood; it was so similar to my experiences growing up in a Cajun family in Louisiana. Great book!
Christopher
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the green bean casserole was a HUGE hit at the potluck.
Derek Lazzara
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple, easy recipes that are rustic and full-flavored. The heat for the spicier recipes is easy to adjust for milder tastes.
Brooke
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
awesome Cajun down home cookin'!
Stephanie McGarrah
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
The stars are for the writing. Haven't made any recipes from here yet.
Steff
May 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-books
Only halfway through this & have already marked quite a few recipes for future use.
Lee
  • The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos
  • Cooking Up a Storm: New Orleans Recipes for Recovery
  • Cooking
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • The Gourmet Cookie Book: The Single Best Recipe from Each Year 1941-2009
  • Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury Of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge: The Ultimate Guide to Mastery, with Authentic Recipes and Stories
  • The Encyclopedia of Cajun & Creole Cuisine
  • Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way
  • Simple Thai Food: Classic Recipes from the Thai Home Kitchen
  • The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-be Southerners

“Cook to make yourself and your family happy, because that’s really what it is all about.” 0 likes