Start by marking “Exodus” as Want to Read:
Exodus

Exodus (Spurious #3)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  179 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A wickedly funny and satisfyingly highbrow black comedy about the collapse of Western academic institutions under the weight of neoliberal economics and crushing, widespread idiocy.

Lars and W., the two preposterous philosophical anti-heroes of Spurious and Dogma—called “Uproarious” by the New York Times Book Review—return and face a political, intellectual, and economic la
Published January 29th 2013 by Melville House

To ask other readers questions about Exodus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exodus

Neil
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Lars and W. continue their gin-sodden adventures and philosophical discussions in what is for me, confusingly, simultaneously the best and the worst of the three Spurious novels. Best because it is more grounded in story and place making it simpler to read and to engage with. Worst because it relies heavily on a level of knowledge of philosophy and philosophers that I simply do not have.

It also helps very much to be British when reading this episode because our two protagonists undertake a univ
Paul Fulcher
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: goldsmiths-2013, 2017
That's what our lecture tour is to e about, W.'s decided. Our great lecture tour of Great Britain, our last look at the ruins of the humanities. We are to investigate the conditions of his sacking!, W. says. The conditions of the destruction of philosophy at his university - of the destruction of philosophy in Britain - of the destruction of philosophy in the whole world! The end days are upon us, and we must witness them at first hand, W. says. The Pharaoh is drowning the children of philosophy ...more
Anna
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read 'Exodus' on a series of Sunday trains that took me home by a circuitous and extended route, as a result of Engineering Works. This seemed like the ideal milieu for a rambling and circuitous commentary on academia, philosophy, armageddon, capitalism, and ineptitude. Much of the novel takes place on trains, in any case. As previously noted, I've enjoyed each installment of this trilogy more than the previous one (Spurious then Dogma) as the passage of time has made me more bitter, cynical, ...more
Victoria
The good news is: there is a reward for those who make it to the end of Lars Iyer's trilogy, and Exodus being the last volume, one must look back over all three when talking about it. The reward is not quite at the end; in fact the very end might be a little anticlimactic, but what happens just before is the fictional equivalent of the Big Opera Moment, when music, words, and singing come together with great emotional impact. It might not work for everyone; it did for me.

The further good news is
Will
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I liked it even more than the first two books in the series. I love the characters of Lars and W. more than any literary characters in recent memory. I love that Lars is constantly referencing and quoting philosophers and, more importantly to me, my favorite film directors amd writers. These books are fantastic and Exodus is a sad but fitting end. It is the end times, after all. In the end, I'm left asking myself the questions that go unanswered, too, and coming up with crazy ...more
Zac Smith
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
hell yes.
better than book 2. he finds that beautiful niche of despair-cum-comedy again. Lars has some great moments (surprisingly!) and i appreciated the discussion of graduate students.
wonderful books.
Dustin Kurtz
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I have a personal policy about not reviewing the Melville House books I read. (I work there.)
These books by Lars Iyer are so funny and smart, I'm breaking that here. Or, no, the books are funny. I laughed, loudly, obnoxiously even, in public places around town while reading them. And they are smart, damned smart. Iyer somehow bookends all the ribaldry with real insight into melancholy, into the academy, and into how we think. Usually that insight is at the expense of the characters, but occasio
Caleb Wilson
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great end to a trilogy that blends pitch-dark philosophy humor (?!) and a technically fascinating first person narration in which the ostensible narrator ("Lars") allows his friend W. to appear to be the narrator, for unknown reasons seeming to let W. viciously insult him for the entire book.
Jim
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’ve now finished all the books by Lars Iyer featuring the wanderings and mental meanderings of his two pet philosophers, W. and his protégé, Lars. Comparisons with Beckettian tramps, most obviously Vladimir and Estragon, are easy leaps to make although the dynamic is different; in many respects they’re closer to Hamm and Clov although I see a good bit of Withnail and Marwood in them and even a glimmer of Don Quixote and his squire; hell, there’s even some George and Lenny in there.

Having alrea
Heather
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I mostly read Exodus because I'm a completist—it was bugging me that I'd read the first two books of this trilogy about, as the back cover puts it, "the two preposterous philosophical anti-heroes," Lars and W., but hadn't read the third. This third book is more of the same, which is mostly a good thing, because these books are funny: Lars and W. are philosophy professors who drink a lot of gin and bemoan the state of the world in general and academia in particular. In this volume, W. is on the v ...more
John
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I've enjoyed Lars Iyer's Spurious Trilogy (this is the third) as much as anything I've read in many years. Challenging, laugh-out-loud funny, and dark, dark, dark.
While all of the Spurious books are nearly plotless, Exodus comes closest to having a definite narrative. Our heroes Lars and W. set out on a tour of modern academia and find, as expected, that the life of the mind has been pretty much banished from the modern university, which is now a privatized trade school.
Lars and W. are in fact
Christy
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Could have used a good editor - because a blog does not a novel make without one. Still, the beginning and end were up there with the best of Spurious, and even if the shtick gets a little too repetitive, it's a great shtick. Absolutely worth the read.

Raises all sorts of questions of form, though. Maybe blog to novel isn't any more logical a transformation than novel to film. This could easily have been seven little super-short volumes. Or maybe a graphic novel with multiple "chapters" into whic
Vincent
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
And... done. Okay, maybe reading all three of these in a row made the last in the series seem less fantastic, and of course the impact will have worn off after Spurious and Dogma, but this is still some of funniest reading I've encountered in quite a while. W. and Lars, the Laurel and Hardy of British philosophy, continue their path of ruin, touring the doomed universities and consuming that good Plymouth gin. Quite ride, indeed.
James
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
The final book of a trilogy about two philosophy professors. This book finds them on a tour of Europe, drinking gin and continuing to contemplate the end of the world, as their philosophy departments are folded into badminton departments. Full of wry, black humor, this book is a fitting conclusion to a series rife with insults, romanticism, and snobbery. While not for everyone, I highly recommend these books.
April
Jan 28, 2013 marked it as to-read
I received a copy of this book free through Goodreads first Reads.

I work at a Senior/Youth center and donate all print books I win in giveaways to the library.

I hope I get a chance to check this one out in the near future!!!

I can say it must be a really good read because it has been checked out since I added it to the library shelves!!
Tara
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book in a goodreads first reads giveaway.

Have you read Kierkegaard? Do you somehow really enjoy the frustration (or despair) of reading Kierkegaard? Then read this book. There's a lot of funny philosophical rant-type stuff here, and the more a reader knows about philosophy, postmodernism, etc. the more they will get out of this book.
Rebecca Stuhr
I'm having trouble finishing this. Have been on hiatus for some time. It is so much like the first two ... and enough with chronicling your weaknesses even if it is in the context of an irreverent interpretation of philosophical thought. Time to move out of the moldy, rat infested, crumbling depths.
Anne Mayer
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was a slog. Two philosophers on a road trip: one narrating, the other bloviating. Attending an academic philosophy conference as the older washed out cynic reminds the young narrator of what a failure the younger Kafka scholar is. I guess you had to be there.
Betsy Hover
Jan 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I was delighted to receive this book as Goodreads giveaway! The author, lars Lyer, has written the final volume for the trilogy of Spurious and Dogma. The two involve themselves on several relentless missions. Great read.
Bret Johnson
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: phd
Very funny book, self deprecating with dark humour to document the fall of the arts and humanities within universities as they edge closer and closer to commercialism. Like Withnail & I crossed with Lucky Jim.
Lori
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Best one of the three!
Adam Dupaski
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The strongest of the trilogy, and the one most capable of turning the reader into "a friend of thought."
Kobe Bryant
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
These three books could have just been one book but this way he makes a lot more money. Now thats good thinking
E.
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My review for Rain Taxi has been reposted by someone here.
Mark Broadhead
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Imagine Pozzo (W.) and Lucky (Lars) as acacacademics mulling over the post-poststructuralist British wasteland, with ample supply of Plymouth gin, and you are Gogo or Didi.
Giles
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wonder if they will ever issue all three books in this trilogy, which essentially amount to the same novel, as a single volume.
Miles Klee
  • Animalinside
  • The Hare
  • El recurso del método
  • FanGirl
Lars Iyer is the author of the novel Wittgenstein Jr (2014). He has also written a trilogy of novels – Spurious, Dogma and Exodus. Iyer has also written two scholarly books on the work of Maurice Blanchot. He teaches philosophy at Newcastle University in the UK.
More about Lars Iyer

Spurious (3 books)
  • Spurious
  • Dogma
“I romanticised Mancunian despair, W says. I didn't realise that Mancunian despair is only the desire to leave Manchester” 2 likes