Start by marking “Peaches for Monsieur le Curé” as Want to Read:
Peaches for Monsieur le Curé

Peaches for Monsieur le Curé

(Chocolat #3)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  10,111 ratings  ·  1,255 reviews
A welcome return to the village in rural France that was the setting for Joanne Harris's remarkable and much-loved number one bestseller Chocolat.

It isn't often you receive a letter from the dead.

When Vianne Rocher receives a letter from beyond the grave, she has no choice but to follow the wind that blows her back to Lansquenet, the village in south-west France where,
Published March 28th 2013 by Black Swan (first published September 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Peaches for Monsieur le Curé, please sign up.
Cassandra Good point! I reckon it's a combination of a few things - Rosette seems to be quite a strong witch, and so her belief in Bam lets more others see.…moreGood point! I reckon it's a combination of a few things - Rosette seems to be quite a strong witch, and so her belief in Bam lets more others see. Also, it still seems to be those with better imaginations and more childish ways of thinking who can see the animals.
I don't think many saw Pantoufle in this book, probably due to Anouk being older and having more human friends. (less)
Cassandra I don't think it was the thinking of Père Henri vs Père Francis - I think it was just the irritance of him changing things with his powerpoint and…moreI don't think it was the thinking of Père Henri vs Père Francis - I think it was just the irritance of him changing things with his powerpoint and plastic chairs that they disliked. Père Francis was stuck in his ways, but he did fit with the village and, in the end, did have a good relationship with them.

His beliefs don't always seem too conservative: think about him telling Guillame that his dog is in heaven, or being flexible about where he takes confession, etc. He also goes on a rant about his attitude to God at some point which I've forgotten, but remember it didn't sound very conservative!(less)

·  10,111 ratings  ·  1,255 reviews

Start your review of Peaches for Monsieur le Curé
Christine
Disclaimer: I received an ARC via Netgalley. Receiving said ARC made me squeal in glee. Whatever power at Penguin books said let her have it, I love you.

There is something about the Joanne Harris and her books that are set in France. Every time you read one of them, you want to eat. It’s not that want a new, rich piece of decadent cake feeling. It’s a sit in the garden, open a bottle of wine, and have a nice dinner with family and friends type of feeling. The type of situation where the talk is
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
When Peaches for Monsieur le Curé landed on my doorstep for review I wasn't particularly enthusiastic. I remembered seeing the movie Chocolat quite some years ago (purely because Johnny Depp starred) and not being overly impressed, however with a few pages of this novel I was hooked and hated having to put it down, even briefly.
Peaches for Monsieur le Curé is the third book in the Chocolat series, following on from Chocolat and The Girl with No Shadow. Vianne, Roux, Anouk and Rosette are living
Lara
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For me, the problem with that book is similar to one with Blueeyedboy: there is not enough of the story. Actually, I think that in BEB there was no story to speak of, only inventions for the sake of them, and here there could well have been, should the narration be more straightforward and not so struggling for being “intriguing”, even if that means improbable character or plot development. As to the protagonist, I’d rather had someone new – with all my love for Vianne, her story was fully ...more
James Souttar
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am fascinated by the character of Vianne Rocher, not least because I live with her real counterpart! And rarely, at least in my experience, has an author created a character who so evidently has a life of her own. But, if Vianne seems to have 'channelled' her way into Joanne Harris' writing, she has also brought it to greater and greater heights. Peaches for Monsieur le Curé is the third book in the Chocolat series, yet without a doubt the most exquisite. The first few pages are sheer poetry, ...more
Rachael McDiarmid
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh I do love Joanne Harris. Actually more to the point I love Vianne Rocher. How can this book not be a resounding success? When it starts with "someone once told me that, in France alone, a quarter of a million letters are delivered every year to the dead. What she didn't tell me is that sometimes the dead write back." now if that doesn't grab you, there's something wrong with you!

Things have changed in Lansquenet. It's been eight years since Vianne opened her chocolate shop. At the urging of a
Nikki
I'm still not sure I really wanted anything more to be added to Chocolat -- remembering my second read of The Lollipop Shoes leaves me distinctly unimpressed, however compelling Joanne Harris makes her writing while you're actually reading it -- but as usual I was bewitched for a while. I'm not entirely certain about the choice of topic: it's always tempting for white women to take on the subject of the niqab, and of the position of women in Muslim communities. I even understand the temptation. ...more
Tatevik Najaryan
Guys I'm throwing a chocolate party! All invited. Only two rules. You should bring a fictional character as a date and that shouldn't be Sirius. He's mine!
I'll make my super-duper brownies. Candy supply is from Wonka from Chocolate factory. Vianne is making her special chocolates. Missis Weasley is cooking. I'll try to negotiate with Weasley's Wizard Wheezes for some fun stuff, but don't promise anything. I almost wanted to have Peeves, but then thought better of it (I don't want all of you to
Laurie Buchanan
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Joanne Harris shows readers what often—and unfortunately—causes division between differing cultures and spiritual traditions, then brilliantly unites them with very real, very human, similarities.

Pour yourself a hot cuppa tea and settle in because as mystical, magical, and decadent as Chocolat, every page turn in Peaches for Monsieur le Curé is equivalent to opening an exquisite jar of sun-infused peach jam.
Chaitra
Bronwyn Hegarty
Dec 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am glad I read if only so I can now say that Joanne Harris is now out of my system. I have definitely outgrown her writing. This book was an extreme disappointment. The plot was an interesting take on the Moslem issue, and could have been very powerful. If only the voices had been right and actually had some substance. Vianne Rocher came across as a busy body and Father Francis as a pathetic wimp in this sequel to Chocolat. Roux was a non-entity. The characters were superficial and the story ...more
K.
12/10/2016
I...was surprised by how long it took me to get into this on reread. I adore both Chocolat and The Lollipop Shoes, and ULTIMATELY I loved this one. It just took a long time to get there. I loved the idea of Vianne coming full circle, back to where her story started. I loved her effectively teaming up with Pere Reynaud to sort out Lansquenet's ridiculous judginess all over again.

It's full of racial and religious tension, of ignorance and snap judgments. It's full of twists and turns
*MystGrrl Reviews*
"It came on the wind of Ramadan..."

And with those few words I am once again immersed in the aromas and surrounded by the characters that made me fall in love with Joanne's creative storytelling.

Vianne Rocher and her two daughters are drawn back to Lansquenet at the behest of a letter from a much loved yet dearly departed friend from the past. Once she arrives Vianne realises the quaint little town she left behind 8 years ago has changed but not in the way she had hoped...

Things are not as they
June
am struggling to rate this book..I love Joanne Harris' work and the writing is magical as usual..but the story brings up some issues regarding Islam, the face veil, attitudes to women.... and some of the characters' views on these subjects are very different from mine, which meant those elements of the story jarred with me. Perhaps therefore it'd be unfair of me to downgrade my rating of this book on that basis, so I'll leave it unrated...
Vonia
I am a big fan of magical realism and the use of food as character in fiction (which Harris pretty much pioneered). I did not like it in this book. For a good amount of the book, I could not figure out why. Then I realized that the themes and topics covered here are far more serious than others she had addressed in previous works.

The other book I have read that included dark aspects was "Three Quarters of an Orange" (Nazis. Germans. World War II. Murder.); the tone of the text was much more
Ian Kirkpatrick
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The popular wisdom is that it’s often a mistake to revisit earlier successes. Try telling that to Joanne Harris.

Just once in a while you read a book that is so good, so well-written that you can’t leave it behind, and you find that long after closing the final pages the characters are still intruding on your life, slipping into your thoughts throughout the working day. Many of Harris’s novels seem to have that effect on me, but possibly none more so than this one.

This is an absolute gem of a
Janice
I'm a little mystified by this series. One of these books doesn't belong with the others. Book Two, The Girl with No Shadow was so different in tone and structure that it seems like I took a detour reading it. Book Three, Peaches for Monsieur le Curé brought me back to the things I loved so much about Chocolat - the structure, the themes, even the feel. Once again, the magic was understated. It was almost invisible. Getting reacquainted with the setting and characters were like returning home.

I
Sher
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this story- a perfect blend of heart and darkness. The main female character is a gypsy who has powers to help people through her ability to read their needs and also through her magical foods and chocolates. She returns to a town where a Catholic priest, her former enemy- is much in need of help.
She comes face to face with Islam and its veil. A mysterious woman in black seems to have influenced the Islam side of the town, and she seems to be pushing its inhabitants to violence.
Louise
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I agree with other reviews about the simplification of issues which remain prevalent in today’s society such as the abuse of women and cultural intolerance. However I loved the descriptions of food and feel connected to the character of Vianne. I think some people have read this book as Vianne coming in making some chocolates and all is right with the world, I see it as a caring person who wants to help and spread happiness to those close to her.
Timscope
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I dont remember quite what I said, but I talked about community, and what it really means to belong; and of the kindness of strangers, and of being in the darkness, watching the light from the windows of other people's homes; and of being inside the whale, and of being a stranger in a foreign land..."(Father Reynaud, p450).

Peaches for Monsieur le Cure is an engaging, well crafted and deceptively easy read. It is a book that explores both contemporary and universal themes with charm, humour,
Steven Langdon
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: super
Joanne Harris has become one of my favourite authors, with her admirable ability to create unique and memorable characters, and her capacity for unexpected plotting -- sometimes in the context of Britain, more often amid the flavours and foibles of France. Especially endearing amongst her characters has been Vianne Rocher, the central figure in "Chocolat," in the subsequent follow-up novel in Paris, and now in this new book that returns Vianne to the small village of Lansquenet in a textured ...more
Kirsty
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Peaches for Monsieur le Cure follows on marvellously from The Lollipop Shoes, the second book in the trilogy, and marvellously recaptures the important details from the first two books. The novel is told from two perspectives – Vianne’s, and that of the village’s cure, Monsieur Reynaud. Harris writes naturally using both voices, and they are distinct from one another throughout, even where their stories converge. Harris is skilled at spinning smaller stories around the central one. Here, she has ...more
Charly
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Joanne Harris is one marvelous writer. This is the third of her Chocolat series and it is every bit as entertaining as the first two. There is magic and love and learning to respect different people and cultures.

Well worth it.
Cfkotula
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foodie, drama
This third book in the Chocolat series was truly rewarding! Vianne returns to the charming little French town where she and her old arch-enemy are surprised to become new friends, while mysterious immigrants from the Middle East take residence. The culture clash brings an engaging story full of suspense and the challenge to find common ground. Vianne, of course, rises to the challenge. Very timely issues!
Kelda Giavaras
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so happy to go back to Lansquenet! There have been plenty of changes since Chocolat, but I still found myself loving this little village. I really appreciated that Joanne Harris chose to explore the idea that beneath the surface of race, color, and beliefs, people are essentially the same. It was also a good reminder that some people are not always what they seem. The character of Ines, behind her veil, was presented to us with such depth. I found myself feeling so grateful that she was ...more
Cendaquenta
I'd say 3.5? Was good but not as good as its predecessors.
Magdalena
Fans of Joanne Harris’ Chocolat series will be pleased to find that chocolatier Vianne Rocher returns to the village of Lansquenet in Peaches for Father Francis, after receiving a letter from her recently deceased friend Armande. Readers who have already fallen in love with Vianne and the small town of Lansquenet won’t be disappointed with this new book, or with the many flashbacks to the events and situations that took place in earlier books. There's a satisfying closure in this novel that ties ...more
Selwa
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
2 1/2 stars really, but in a generous mood I bumped it up to 3.

The good: Joanne Harris is remarkably readable. I say remarkable because I feel like she's not someone who shows up on radar. I worked in a bookstore for nearly 2 years, worked in educational publishing for another 2, and have since maintained (or tried to maintain) my awareness of bookish news. And I don't remember Joanne Harris making a single ripple in that pond. I feel like she should be more popular, more well known, but perhaps
Kate Forsyth
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic-realism
Chocolat is one of my favourite books and Joanne Harris is one of my favourite authors. Her novel Five Quarters of the Orange will always be listed in my top 5 favourite adult books.

However, when I heard that she had written another sequel to Chocolat, I didn’t squeal with excitement and rush out to the bookshop straightaway, as I usually do when one of my favourite writers publishes a new book.

I did go to the bookshop and look at the book, wondering, weighing it in my hands. The gorgeous
DubaiReader
Chocolat, book three,.

I've been a fan of Joanne Harris for many years now (though not of her newer Young Adult fantasy series), and another book in the Chocolat series is a treat. I did wish I'd read Lollipop Shoes (The Girl with No Shadow) before reading this book though, as there were definitely some gaps caused by jumping straight from Chocolat. Unfortunately I didn't have time to read both before the discussion.

The subject matter is highly topical, particularly in France, where it has been
Ecem  Yücel
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, a great story of Vianne.

While I was reading this book, I kept thinking how much I missed losing myself in Vianne's world of magic, chocolate, peach jam, tolerance, accepting and loving people as they are. The book has a great plot, which ended up unfolding in a way I wasn't expecting. Also, I liked seeing things from the eyes of Father Francis too, and the things he faces makes the story more exciting that you cannot put down the book till you see how things are going to end up.

Also,
Mendiants & Magie: Il giardino delle pesche e delle rose 1 2 Jan 16, 2014 01:35AM
The Readers: YWTB #3 - Joanne Harris 1 20 Aug 12, 2013 03:18AM
Mansfield Public ...: Peaches for Father Frances review by Jan Tomanelli 1 11 Jul 13, 2013 07:16AM

• The Garden of Lost and Found
  • The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell
  • The Blue Salt Road
  • In the Heart of the Garden
  • Baunilha e Chocolate
  • Snow Creek (Detective Megan Carpenter, #1)
  • Blackberry & Wild Rose
  • Anne Boleyn: 500 Years of Lies
  • Needlemouse
  • A Watermelon, a Fish and a Bible
  • Cape Breton Road
  • The Carer
Joanne Harris is an Anglo-French author, whose books include fourteen novels, two cookbooks and many short stories. Her work is extremely diverse, covering aspects of magic realism, suspense, historical fiction, mythology and fantasy. She has also written a DR WHO novella for the BBC, has scripted guest episodes for the game ZOMBIES, RUN!, and is currently engaged in a number of musical theatre ...more

Chocolat (4 books)
  • Chocolat (Chocolat, #1)
  • The Girl with No Shadow (Chocolat, #2)
  • The Strawberry Thief (Chocolat, #4)
“Some people spend the whole of their lives sitting waiting for one train, only to find that they never even made it to the station.” 56 likes
More. Oh that word. That deceptive word. That eater of lives; that malcontent.” 21 likes