Start by marking “The Savage Fortress” as Want to Read:
The Savage Fortress

The Savage Fortress (Ash Mistry Chronicles #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  1,041 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
Breathtaking action adventure for 8 to 12-year-olds. Ash Mistry, reluctant hero, faces ancient demons… and comes into an astonishing, magical inheritance.

Varanasi: holy city of the Ganges.
In this land of ancient temples, incense and snake charmers…
Where the monsters and heroes of the past come to life…
One slightly geeky boy from our time…
IS GOING TO KICK SOME DEMON ASS.

Ash
Audio CD
Published February 26th 2013 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Savage Fortress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Savage Fortress

Rick Riordan
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarwat Chadda does a fantastic job bringing Hindu folklore into the modern world, especially the most famous tale, and my personal favorite: the Ramayana. Ash Mistry travels with his family from London to India to stay with relatives while his father consults on a strange archaeological dig. Soon, Ash discovers that demons and gods are alive and well, and he is called upon to save the world from the rise of the Demon King Ravana. Super fun adventure story where myth meets modern, Indian style!
jv poore
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s not easy being 13. Ash (Ashoka Mistry), a chubby boy of Indian descent living in England, knows this very well. He is teased because of his weight, his lunch money is stolen; he feels constantly taunted. Actually, this is the easy part. Ash believes that his summer visit with an aunt and uncle in India, accompanied only by his 10 year old sister, Lucky, holds promise. He is mistaken.

The Savage Fortress introduces middle-grade readers to some of the most fascinating Hindu gods and goddesses.
Rose
I finished this book a little while ago and simply forgot to mark it, but on the whole? This was an excellent MG book, and reading it gives much more context for events for the second book "The City of Death." I love the Ash Minstry series and can't wait to read more of it. The mythology, action sequences, humor - all of it really intrigued me throughout the story.

Review to come.
Alison
Growing up in the 1970s, I was a big fan of fantasy and science fiction (Star Trek, Blake's Seven, Doctor Who) and loved reading The Hobbit and other fantasy books. It took me a while to realise that there was something a little odd about J.R.R. Tolkien's world. Simply put, where were the girls? Why was it only male dwarfs and wizards on the adventure? At secondary school we barely read any novels with girls in until Pride and Prejudice at O level.

I remembered this feeling as a teacher, and trie
Skip
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is an Indian version of Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods, and Rick Riordan's GR review of the book is excellent. 13-year old Ash Mistry discovers he has extraordinary power and finds himself trying to defeat the reanimation of the demon king Ravana, battling a wealthy British businessman and his demon helpers. I liked Ash best when he was being trained by the beggars, and when he was lusting after the serpent woman because it made him feel like a normal person.
Lata
Fast-paced and fairly enjoyable, Nice to see a fantasy series based on Indian myths and gods, specifically the Ramayana. I remember being captivated by this story when I was very young, and rather a lot less so when I found out what happened to Sita some years later.
Ash and his sister Lucky are thrown into peril and adventure after the sudden deaths of their uncle and aunt while the the siblings are visiting India. Ash and Lucky become involved in a plot to bring back Ravana, that swell fellow,
Bridget
Fast paced action and good writing. A bit gory near the end, but not awful. My one complaint is the hyper irritating transformation of the main character from chubby to skinny, and the way that's portrayed as him losing his weakness and growing into a fierce hero. Cause fat kids can't be heroes or anything. He even says something like "I guess I just had to diet and exercise" to lose weight. Ugh. I just... chubby or fat kids don't need to hear that more than they already do. I don't know why he ...more
TheBookSmugglers
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ash Mistry and younger his sister Lucky are visiting their family in India during their school holidays. Ash had been excited about the trip, history geek that he is, but he is now ready to go back to London and resume his teenage life of gaming with his friends. But then his uncle is hired by Lord Savage, a rich mysterious man, to decipher ancient scrolls. These scrolls are connected to one of the most famous stories in India: the Ramayana, the epic story of the fight between the hero Rama agai ...more
Jasmine
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about indian folklore while reading this.

Indian folklore is TERRIFYING.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A boy stumbles upon a mythical arrowhead and has to save the world.

Opening Sentence: “That is so not a cobra,” said Ash.

The Review:

You’ve probably heard of Greek and Roman mythology (Any Percy Jackson fans out there?) Or maybe even a bit of Norse mythology (Thor, son of Odin, a.k.a. Chris Hemsworth *sighs*). But have you even thought of India’s mythology? Sarwat’s The Savage Fortress gives you just enough information to wet your pallet in t
Ian Tymms
This is not an easy book to review. I should start by saying that I really enjoyed it; the challenge is more how to classify it within our classroom libraries and who to recommend it to.

At the moment we have it classified as a “Gateway” book for Primary to Middle School but I think this is a mistake. “Ash Mistry” is certainly a grand adventure in the vein of of Percy Jackson, but it also has themes and complexities that might make it more suited to upper Middle School. The violence and emerging
Shanshad Whelan
I'm back and forth about this one as a children's book. People die in horrific and vivid ways--other people are described as tortured in even more horrific ways. The main character is 13, and some parts of this book are on target for that tween audience that loves Riordan's stuff. But I think this book may really cross a line. Unlike Riordan's stories that balance action and danger with humor, this book really doesn't have a sense of humor very often. It tries occasionally to do so, but I found ...more
Highness Atharva
Ash Mistry Chronicles Book 1
*Ash Misty and the Savage Fortress* by Sarwar Chaddha

It’s been so long since I read an Indian Mythology series and this one has been just way beyond expectation. Its about 320 pages and I easily finished it within 3 days. It is addicting if you have some basic knowledge about Indian Mythology.
Ash Mistry Chronicles follows the adventure of a young European 13 year old Ash Mistry who along with his sister, Lucky and his uncle Vik has arrived in India for an education
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I first became acquainted with Sarwat Chadda when I read Devil's Kiss, and I knew he was an author I wanted to follow. Chadda has switched gears slightly, writing for the MG/Juvenile group with this series, and with a male lead. He has also set his book in India, I believe that he was drawing in some degree from his own heritage. With The Savage Fortress, Mr. Chadda has written an involving read quite full of darkness and danger, and incredible heroism at its center.

General Synopsis

Ash Mistry is
Kitty
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Ash Mistry' by Sarwat Chadda is a magnificent adventure story. Chadda knows what he's writing about - it is well researched. It is unique in that the demons are traditional Indian monsters and heroes and the story takes part in Varanasi - the holy city of the Ganges, India.

This is exactly the type of inspiration that a lot of pupils need. It breathes multiculturalism - east meets west in Ash/Ashoka. He conveys the complexity of roots versus modernism and somehow manages to show how his main ch
Raina
Something about the writing really turned me off right away.

Needed to make a snap decision about what to read for my elementary outreach promotion, so put it down. Didn't give it a proper chance. But probably won't pick it up again. There are so many great books.

Gonna try refraining from giving stars and see how that feels.
Q
DNF at 40%. Invoked my newish rule: If you don't really like the book, you don't need to spend your limited reading time on it. Here the setting and premise were cool, but the voice was the kind of MG that just doesn't work for me these days.
Diego C
Oct 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Alisa
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Hmmm

Not sure what I think about this one. On the one hand, it's enjoyable, and the Indian mythology woven through is far more than just flavor. On the other, it's a story about a thirteen year-old boy, that would've been gorgeous about a young man on the edge of 21.

Fans of Percy Jackson and Magnus Chase will love it, but I'm troubled by a number of elements. Especially a 4000 year-old demonness as a love interest for a child.

Still, it does a good job on important things like colonialism and bei
grdel
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joe Humphreys
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As anyone who works with, or writes for, young people knows, when it comes to YA fiction there's always something that's 'in'. At the moment it's dystopian fiction. Before that it was a bunch of sissy vampires doing a lot of navel gazing and talking in inspid cliches (no I'm not a Twilight fan). And so on, and so on. Just bubbling below the flavour of the month are certain genres of YA fiction that, arguably, have greater staying power and lasting appeal. One such is what I you could call fantas ...more
u1124876 UEL
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book Sarwat Chadda has merged real life with Indian mythology and I find that really thrilling. I borrowed this book from Alison yesterday and finished it this morning!

The publishers have recommended this book for children who are 9+ and I can see children’s imaginations running wild with this story. As I have not yet taught in KS2 I would seek advice on how to best use this book but I can imagine getting wonderful results from it including literacy, RE, geography, art, PE to name but a
Adrianne
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I picked up this book, I knew almost nothing of Indian/Hindu mythology. I was hardly aware of its existence, because I'm used to reading about Roman, Greek, and Egyptian mythology. Nevertheless, I was fascinated by the new concept.
The author explains aspects of mythology very well to a novice. The new terms were explained and shown so I was not confused. Some of the names of the deities were odd, but the author kept them distinct for the most part.
This book has a very interesting and fast
Cindy
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i remember being very excited for this middle
grade novel ever since sarwat told me about it
at ALAN 2010--the first time we met. he was so
enthusiastic about this story with an indian boy
as a hero (ash mistry) and incorporating the culture
and mythos of india. it sounded fantastic. now, two
years later, it is wonderful to see the book published
and come to fruition.

chadda is a fantastic writer and he's really able
to immerse you into ash's world, india, and allow
us to see and feel the wonder of being
Vishnu Brahmandam
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian-authors
After reading all of the Percy Jackson series and series linked to that (still eagerly waiting for next books) I didn't know if I would like this book.
- The actual reason I picked this book was because it seemed like a Percy Jackson book but with Indian mythology and let me say I wasn't dissapointed :D
Okay so even though the book lays too much attention on the main character Ash as compared to his sister {who i thought should have had much much more attention(so much unlike Percy Jackson)} it w
Dave Cousins
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this – a classic adventure story in the tradition of Indiana Jones. Apart from the superb sense of location, believable characters (both good and truly evil) what I liked most, and what set this book above so many other adventure stories, is the way that Ash stayed rooted in reality. Even fighting demons, he still managed to react, and for the most part behave, like a normal, slightly overweight, teenage boy! Great stuff.
Jana
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book for fans of Rick Riordan. It's a mythological middle grade read focusing on Indian mythology, something I hadn't ever read before and absolutely loved!
Salman
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is for Percy Jackson fans who are into gods and are if you think You know them all well you have to know the gods of the mythical version of India and an action adventure like no other.
78sunny
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mutti
*Meinung:*
Dies ist für mich ja eher eine ungewöhnliche Buch/Hörbuchwahl. Abenteuer liegen mir grundsätzlich nicht so, aber hier sprach mich einfach das Cover sehr an und wenn ich was von Dämonen lese, ist mein Interesse sowieso geweckt. Das Stefan Kaminsky das Buch spricht, war dann die endgültige Entscheidungshilfe.

Voller Motivation legte ich die erste CD in meinen tragbaren CD/MP3 Player ein und erlitt eine herbe Enttäuschung. Die CD wurde nicht erkannt – keine der 4. Also musst ich das Hörbu
Deviki
Hell Yeah!!……..LOL
Like India….Bollywood/Kollywood ….whatever wood ….why haven’t you picked up on this yet??? You could have made your very own kick arse Indian Harry Potter ish movie right here homie !! (and for the love of god please DO NOT INCLUDE any dance duet in the middle of the movie)
Oh gosh so many awesome things you could play with and make this EPIC !!! Younger generation (including myself) know that we (Hindus) have pretty cool god and goddess but most of us tend to overlook that bec
  • Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities
  • Summer of the Mariposas
  • Project X-Calibur
  • The Chosen Prince
  • Vanished
  • Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)
  • The Path of Names
  • Deadweather and Sunrise (The Chronicles of Egg, #1)
  • Claws
  • Tide
  • The Tinker King (The Unnaturalists, #2)
  • Jack Plank Tells Tales
  • Dead City (Dead City, #1)
  • The Wizard of Dark Street  (Oona Crate Mystery, #1)
  • In Harm's Way (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #4)
  • Tut: The Story of My Immortal Life (Tut: My Immortal Life #1)
  • Jasmine Skies
  • Iris, Messenger
Sarwat Chadda has lived and traveled throughout the world, from China to Guatemala. He’s been lost in Mongolia, abandoned at a volcano in Nicaragua and hidden up a tree from a rhino in Nepal. Not to mention being detained by Homeland Security in the US and chased around Tibet by the Chinese police. Maybe he just has that sort of face.

Anyway, now he’s trying to settle in one place and stay out of t
More about Sarwat Chadda

Ash Mistry Chronicles (3 books)
  • Ash Mistry and the City of Death (Ash Mistry Chronicles, #2)
  • Ash Mistry and the World of Darkness (Ash Mistry Chronicles, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Axe and the Throne (Bounds of Redemption, #1)
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Ash. It's short for Ashoka."
"A hero's name."
"I'm not a hero."
...
"Then we will make you one, Ashoka.”
0 likes
“Parvati took his hand. It was such a strange, unexpected gesture that he just blinked and stared at it.
"I'll protect you.”