Start by marking “The Joy of Hate: How to Triumph over Whiners in the Age of Phony Outrage” as Want to Read:
The Joy of Hate: How to Triumph over Whiners in the Age of Phony Outrage

The Joy of Hate: How to Triumph over Whiners in the Age of Phony Outrage

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  2,004 Ratings  ·  259 Reviews

Published November 13th 2012 by Crown Forum

To ask other readers questions about The Joy of Hate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Hate

Nancy
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Posted at Shelf Inflicted

I don’t watch much TV, unless it’s a series that I can get hooked on or a movie. I generally stay away from talk shows, reality shows, comedies, and news/opinion shows. So I’ve never heard of Greg Gutfeld.

I’m so glad I came across Mike's review and gave him a chance.

His essays are proof positive that the left does not have a monopoly on intelligence, humor, or sarcasm.

Just last week, I was going to pull into a parking spot at Market Basket when this woman comes flying o
Jeanette
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
So glad I read this in November just before Thanksgiving. Because it was definitely the funniest book of my 2015 reads and also puts me in a great mood for hosting the holiday.

And it also gave me a new word. One of the most exact with the shortest, succinct pronouncement. Tolerati! Oh do I know them. And if anything the true tolerati are even more humorless than the chapter of description here.

It loses a star in the trying too hard category. For puns, for constant media and celeb interface, for
Douglas Wilson
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wish more Christians were as insightful as Gutfeld about the actual game that is being run on them. As a libertarian, he has the usual blind spots, but where he sees, he really sees.
Russ
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an entertaining, breezy read on a relatively new phenomenon in America. Why is everyone so offended by everything? Gutfeld's answers that question by riffing on some 25 topics. You'll need an open mind, in the classical sense to enjoy the book. This is a political book in the sense that everything in our culture has become politicized. If you're not ready to question your opinions about topics like global warming, racism and obesity, skip this book. If you were waiting for Gutfeld to ela ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political
Okay, how many here know who Greg Gutfeld is...hold up your hands.

That many...huh.

I've watched the author of this book on and off for a while now. He's on more programs lately than he used to be, so more folks have more chances to see and hear him. While I don't think he and I would ever agree on...leisure time activities or music (as a lot of what he calls music I call noise) or a lot of other, "stuff" we do agree on ideas, freedom and small government.

I also often find his humor funny (though
Zann
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I've ever read a book from Author's Note and Introduction, straight through to Acknowledgements and Author's Bio. Why? Because Greg Gutfeld is just so darn funny. I spent much of my time chuckling to myself or laughing out loud as I read this book. I can't say I agree with all of his observations, but I agree with the majority of them. Greg certainly has a way with words.
Patrick
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ideas
amazon review:

Greg Gutfeld hates artificial tolerance. At the root of every single major political conflict is the annoying coddling Americans must endure of these harebrained liberal hypocrisies. In fact, most of the time liberals use the mantle of tolerance as a guise for their pathetic intolerance. And what we really need is smart intolerance, or as Gutfeld reminds us, what we used to call common sense.
The Joy of Hate tackles this conundrum head on- - replacing the idiocy of open-mindness wit
Robyn
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh how I loved this book! Greg Gutfeld is one of my favorite people whom I've never met. A conservative libertarian (like me!), he has a twisted and hilarious take on the world. After smartly pointing out hypocrisy among those he's christened The Tolorati, he doesn't advocate trying to FORCE them to look at another point of view, he advocates living life to it's fullest because that's what really matters. It seems a bit like he's throwing up his hands in defeat, but if he was he wouldn't have wr ...more
Peggy
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
We actually went to Greg's book signing to buy this book and am so glad we did. Firstly, I never realized how short he is - making him much more approachable! As far as the book - there were so many times that I actually heard his voice in my head reading some parts! It was a great book. His views on things are extremely similar to my own. There were a few times that I found myself reading and not really capturing it . . . but for the most part, a fun read, an easy read and a great guy! I'd reco ...more
TK421
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays-auto-bio
While I do not agree with all stated in this book, I do agree that phony outrage has become the norm. Debate should be endorsed. Differences embraced. It is through discourse that change happens. Then again, you have every right to disagree with me.
Bojan Tunguz
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Greg Gutfeld is one of the rising stars on Fox News channel, and one of my favorite TV personalities overall. His edgy and snarky humor will appeal to anyone who has grown up with South Park and similar forms of irreverent humor that takes on some relevant current issue. He manages to weave social commentary with irreverent statement that titter on the edge of what can be said on primetime television.

In “The Joy of Hate” Gutfeld takes on the notion that the ultimate arbiter of validity of one’s
Emily
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I know a lot of people who would be offended by this book so do yourself a favor and read what it is about in the description before you decide to pick it up and then toss it down in disgust after a chapter or two!

That being said, I really enjoyed most of this. Greg Gutfeld is hilarious and I recently saw him on one of his shows (I think it was called The Five?) and I liked him even more after that. He is great at incorporating his sense of humor into his arguments.

My problems with it:
-There w
TCPils
May 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Gutfeld sets up the overly sensitive liberal left and shoots them down with ease. They tolerate everything! Well, almost everything. They don't tolerate what they don't like. Or what they don't understand. In which case get out of their way because they're gunning for you and they have the backing of the media. Except for the Fox News Network, a beacon of light in the darkness. Well, maybe that's an overstatement but they do employ him so he's got to do a little sucking up to his bosses.

Gutfel
John
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
A genuinely funny and insightful treatment of a very pertinent topic: artificial outrage. Gutfeld is a gifted writer with a sense of humor far superior to that of any other television host currently working for Fox News (wait...has Dennis Miller been given his own show yet?). I particularly appreciate his skewering of the American Left's obnoxious posturing in the name of "tolerance." Back in college, I realized that, since our modern understanding of "tolerance" doesn't include tolerating the i ...more
Nick Cato
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you're a Gutfeld fan, you've probably heard most of what he touches on here, but if you're a BIG fan you'll enjoy reading it again (and expanded from his TV shows) anyway. I love his sense of humor and the fact he's a conservative who happens to enjoy good music and films. His coining of the term "The Tolerati" is priceless.

Bottom line: America's obsession with tolerance and being PC is turning (and in many cases, has turned) us into a nation of wussies...and don't think other nations aren't
Erin
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: given-lent
Actually, 3.5 stars.

This book is better read in short spurts (just a chapter or two at a time) over the course of a few weeks than in large chunks in just a few days, as I did. It gets pretty repetitive, so spacing it out would help that. Still, it's an easy read, and pretty funny. (He seems to have a thing for unicorns.)

If you don't know anything about Gutfeld, you should go ahead and read some excerpts to see if it's your cup of tea before diving in.
Harold Cameron
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“How To Triumph Over Whiners In The Age Of Phony Outrage”

“From the irreverent star of Fox News’s Red Eye and The Five, hilarious observations on the manufactured outrage of an oversensitive, wussified culture.

Greg Gutfeld hates artificial tolerance. At the root of every single major political conflict is the annoying coddling Americans must endure of these harebrained liberal hypocrisies. In fact, most of the time liberals uses the mantle of tolerance as a guise for their pathetic intolerance. A
Ray
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Gutfeld from seeing him on Fox News and was given this book by a family member. If you enjoy his commentary on The Five and the Gutfeld Show then you will enjoy this book. This was the first non-fiction book I read in awhile and I almost never read anything political. Gutfeld keeps it pretty light for a political book by inserting humor and keeping his chapters on each topic to less than 10 pages each. He continually points out the hypocrisy of the "tolerant" left on a range of topics.

T
Donald Plugge
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: satire, political

Since this book is political, I'll just go with a average 3 stars. I'll do the same with left leaning books like Christopher Hitchens.

Gutfeld is a pretty snarky humorist and unlike many comedians, his targets are all on the left. He is the Jon Stewart of the conservative movement. I think he does a descent job in that roll.

Now, if you take out the whole right, left, center thing and just focus on his rants, you'll see that he is, indeed, poking fun at hypocrisy in the form of "manufactured hate
Anthony
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
What can I say I love Greg Gutfeld I think he's arguably one of the funniest people on the current talking head shows. Although as a conservative Gutfeld doesn't shy away from taking shots at most people's sacred cows all the while recognizing his bias. Like Greg I'm a conservative who loves Punk rock, metal and doesn't care where you place your genitals, but also recognize that there are cultural implications within those things. If I had any complaints about this book as a daily watcher of Red ...more
Carmen
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gutfeld is the jester who cleverly mocks our celebrity-obsessed culture and slanted 24-hour media cycle, cheekily exposing the hypocrisies rampant in modern political coverage, which naturally extends to a slavish yet widespread devotion to unexamined, misguided group-think - the fallout of which is so readily and sadly apparent in our educational system. Aptly and amusingly contrasting reporting on the Tea Party and Occupy movements, exposing blatant and intentional inaccuracies from once-trust ...more
Clint Priest
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Litany of what subjects have become intolerant in America. The book points out how those claiming tolerance (translation = progressives/liberals) are, in fact, the extremely intolerant. These souls are tolerant only as long one agrees with them and their narrow view of how things should be viewed and handled. The book has kind of a central theme of "lighten up". In full disclosure, the author is an admitted conservative and makes no secret of that. But I think readers would be surprised as to op ...more
Rich
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, if you swing left of center politically, this book will either infuriate you or save you. Gutfeld writes from his conservative libertarian point of view, which leaves little positive to be said about true left wing liberals.

His comedy is vulgar at times, so again, be forewarned that if you offend easily, this may not be the book for you.

However, if you are an open-minded individual who is at least right of center, you might just love this.

I have never truly understood Gutfeld, but
Rachel Wagner
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think I needed to read this after the election. Gutfeld is very funny but also very astute. The whole idea of phony and selective outrage is so prevalent in our society that its nice for someone to actually acknowledge it in a humorous way. I'm sure there will be people who will be outraged by Gutfeld's book; although, those same people are probably not outraged by a similar tone from Bill Maher, Chris Rock, and a myriad of social comedians/commentators on the left. Somehow conservatives who d ...more
Marina Fontaine
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good read for those of us who work 9-5 every day and can't avail themselves of Greg Gutfeld's very special brand of political discourse. Funny, irreverent, and at the same time more educational than it has any right to be. A treat for anyone tired of political correctness, but be warned- the author is not shy being an equal opportunity offender. Non-PC cuts both ways. That's what makes the book so refreshing and intellectually honest in a way that's seriously lacking in politics and elsewhere.
Lea
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this fabulous read, the liberals will find much to whine about, expressing all kinds of (phony) outrage at being called out for many of the ways that they do go on today in our hyper-politically correct world. Greg Gutfeld does this with wit and precision - and restraint - the liberals should be thankful - their crimes are much more numerous than those highlighted in these pages so delightfully! And this book has something else that will send liberals crying to their local government assistan ...more
Fay
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Gutters (Gutfeld fans)
Recommended to Fay by: Greg Gutfeld
Greg Gutfeld (a unicorn king), knows his stuff. His wacky puns, metaphors, similes, and insights are crazy good, and just crazy. I really liked this book other than all of the swearing, which was a no-no for me. Anyways, Gutfeld teaches us all about the intolerance of mainly the left and how phony these whiners really are. He crushes those whiners like Bigfoot stepping on a baby unicorn. 'Nough said.
Keith Albrektson
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I very much enjoyed the first half of this book, but Gutfeld's immature and self-deprecating humor grew a little repetetive during the second half. Also, the book wasn't very well organized - he seemed to be moving randomly from one topic to another. That being said, I thought he made many insightful and valuable arguments against liberal and media 'tolerance'.
Mike Thomas
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Funnier than Bob Beckel faking sobriety, more thoughtful than an Andy Levy Half-time report, more sexually twisted than a sidewalk encounter with Bill Shultz, hotter than Jedediah Bila and Remi Spencer (ok, maybe not that hot) and as sage as Sherrod Small, this book kept me awake and interested until the sedatives kicked in.
Glen
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, humor
A political broadside against the wave of phony tolerance sweeping the nation. More timely now, than when it was written.

Gutfeld eviscerates the social justice warriors and their like, exposing them for the frauds that they are.

Good stuff.
  • Righteous Indignation: Excuse Me While I Save the World!
  • The Tyranny of Clichés: How Liberals Cheat in the War of Ideas
  • Mugged: Racial Demagoguery from the Seventies to Obama
  • Primetime Propaganda: The True Hollywood Story of How the Left Took Over Your TV
  • No, They Can't: Why Government Fails-But Individuals Succeed
  • The Secret Knowledge: On the Dismantling of American Culture
  • Cowards: What Politicians, Radicals, and the Media Refuse to Say
  • End of Discussion: How the Left's Outrage Industry Shuts Down Debate, Manipulates Voters, and Makes America Less Free (and Fun)
  • The Liberty Amendments: Restoring the American Republic
  • Theodore and Woodrow: How Two American Presidents Destroyed Constitutional Freedom
  • After America: Get Ready for Armageddon
  • A National Party No More: The Conscience of a Conservative Democrat
  • Obama Zombies: How the Liberal Machine Brainwashed My Generation
  • Obama's America: Unmaking the American Dream
  • The Silencing: How the Left is Killing Free Speech
  • Unlearning Liberty: Campus Censorship and the End of American Debate
  • Things That Matter: Three Decades of Passions, Pastimes and Politics
  • Don't Vote, it Just Encourages the Bastards
Greg Gutfeld has been called "outrageous and outspoken," neither of which he denies. A libertarian political satirist, humorist, magazine editor and blogger, he is perhaps best known as the host of the Fox News Channel program "Red Eye With Greg Gutfeld." Airing at 3 a.m. ET Tuesday through Saturday, the show covers a variety of topics, including news, entertainment, sports, and gossip. Gutfeld is ...more
More about Greg Gutfeld...

“People ask me what I am politically and I've previously offered this equation: I became a conservative by being around liberals. And I became a libertarian after being around conservatives.” 29 likes
“A funny thing about tolerant people? They're really only tolerant when you agree with them.” 23 likes