Start by marking “Born in Flames (Born in Flames Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Born in Flames (Born in Flames Trilogy, #1)

Born in Flames

(Born in Flames Trilogy #1)

Red mirrored scales race up my arms as the haze of pain blurs my vision. My bones crack, breaking to realign. I scream. It is then that the realization of my unavoidable fate sinks in; I am of a dying race. I am dragon.

Aurora Megalos, orphaned and teetering on the edge of adulthood, thought finding her past would curb the sting of being an outcast. Having no memories of t
Published September 6th 2012 by 48fourteen (first published September 1st 2012)

Kathryn
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WOW!! I am so excited about being able to read this and be a part of this tour. Meeting Candace Knoebel has been fantastic and her debut novel, Born in Flames, is SMOKIN!! Thank you Andie Kozari for bringing this fabulous author and book to my attention!!
With that said, this book is packed full of action, intrigue, suspense, well developed characters, and an overall great storyline.
Candace has created such a unique and enthralling world that I immediately fell in love with...One filled with magi
Shambhawi P.
Dear book,
You suck.
Sincerely, Me.

Oh? It’s not enough? Reasons needed? How about I give you five:

1.Aurora – She sucked. She was selfish. She was whiny. She was worse, worse, hell lot worse than even the worst characters I have met (Yes. Bella, Nora, Luce, Ever and Clary are included. *gasp*)

2.Fenn – The big, bad protector forgot his balls somewhere. Maybe the same place he left behind his brains.

3.The writing – Boring, repetitive, occasional grammatical errors and needed to be thoroughly edited.
Beth
Secreted away to an alternate dimension for her own safety, Aurora Megalos has no recollection of her past. Her earliest memory is the day her and Fenn, her foster brother, arrived at their foster home. Always a little different from those around them, Fenn and Rory have stuck together and even chose to become roommates in adult hood.

Both coming from mysterious pasts, Fenn and Rory are working to save enough money to discover their histories. But their pasts are about to confront them whether th
Paranormal Reads
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. Not only is the cover gorgeous but I was pulled in from page one and I loved every minute of this book.

Aurora is thrown out of her world and into ours for protection. She is a dragon which is a dying race and the fates want to kill her. She doesn’t remember anything before the age of ten when she was thrown into our world. Where she gets adopted and meets a boy Fenn who doesn’t remember anything also. One day on their way to work Aurora is bothered by Mr. Creepy has t
Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe)
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Ok I just loved this book; it started out with a quiet scene that turned into a chaotic one, which instantly got my attention. Then POOF you’re in another world some odd years later. Then is goes on about two teenagers who are living in a run-down motel room, and both working in a diner just to survive. Aurora & Finn, had shown up at the foster home they lived at, at the same exact time, and both of them had no recollection of their past before then. They became best friends, but both of the ...more
Cassandra Giovanni
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie
First, the cover of this novel is totally awesome. It really depicts the main character as I see her. As for the book, I also thought the main characters of Fenn and Aurora were totally awesome. YA novels seem to currently be plagued by female protagonists who are, well, for lack of a better word, soppy. They whine a lot, and it gets horribly annoying. I never once felt this about Aurora. She was a strong person, who even when confused about what was going on, was determined to rise above it. Sh ...more
Sabrina
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Shelley (Bella)
First I want to say thank you to our good friend, Andrea (Andie) Kozári for discovering Candace and asking us to be part of the tour to help introduce her to the rest of the world. Thank you, Candace Knoebel, for this magickal tale. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Anyone and everyone that knows me, knows how much I love anything to do with high fantasy. Magick in all it's forms is fascinating to me, colors my world, drives my imagination and completely fills my senses. Weave dragons (they are
Annie Brewer
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
LOVED this book!

First of all, I'd like to thank Jean for asking me to review this book. Then to Candace for providing me with a copy to review. All I gotta say is, LOOK AT THAT COVER! Gah, I'm such a cover whore. I have cover lust when it comes to books. If they grab me or catch my eye(s), I'll read the blurb and decide if I want to read it or not.

Don't judge a book its cover, they say. But in this case, you can judge all you want. It's totally fine because not only is the cover amazingly beaut
Bayli
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this book. I love dragons and i loved picturing Aurora with the steam coming out of her nose and fire soaking into her skin. So when i read this was about dragons- I was all for giving this book a shot. I'm glad I did.

Even though I all around enjoyed this book (i liked the plot, the relationship, etc) I didnt like Aurora's character. I really tried to like her! I tried to understand why she acted the way she did...
Sonya Loveday
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-reads
I anxiously await the day I can purchase this book. Author Candace Knoebel has inspired me on all levels as reader, blogger and writer and I can't wait to see what she has in store for us next! Until the book is released check out her blog on www.wordPress.com to see the fun and witty Candace Knoebel that is soon to take ebook by storm! Way to go Mrs. Knoebel......you should be so very proud of yourself right now :)
Taylor Loveday
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I am very excited about this book and so is my bestie Grace. We are anxious to see how many people are pumped to read this book.
Bakshree Mishra
Oct 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
One word. C.R.E.E.P.Y.

I covered 27% of the book, but I couldn't go on. I tried. Honest.

I don't know what the author was thinking about when she framed plots. First she tells us that 10 yr old Aurora is a dragon. Apparently she's in some danger so she's transported to some other place as is a boy. 8 yrs later the story picks up and we learn that a boy and Aurora turned up in a foster home with no memory whatsoever. Coincidence? Na na. Na na. Naaaaaa Na.
(And I don't consider that a spoiler because
Kendall {Book Crazy}
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tours
I loved this book! It was the second book that I have read about with Dragons in it with the first being the Firelight series by Sophie Jordan! When I heard that there were Dragons in this book I really hoped that it was different to the Firelight series as even though I loved the Firelight series I did want this book to stand on its own and have a different approach to dragons and I was so relieved when I discovered very early on that it was completely different to the Firelight series! I did t ...more
Inna
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
The review also appears on my blog
A copy of this book was provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.
Okay, so let's face it who doesn't love a good fantasy with dragons and Mages and Fates and a prophesy that may or may not foretell a certain doom? This book basically has the whole package throw in a girl who is determined to survive to make it to the guy she loves and you have a pretty amazing book.
Aurora "Rory" was an average girl who was just trying to find out who her r
Ioana
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Born in Flames was an easy, fun read, spellbinding and full of action. Aurora, the main character, is a great, independent and on her own two feet character. I liked how she took control of things and started doing, rather than have things happen on their own.

Her personality and sense of humour made the book fun to read even when she wasn’t as confident as I wanted her to be. The central relationship of the book, between Aurora and her childhood friend, currently best friend,
Mary
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
WOW! What a great story?!?!

Best part of the book: This is such an awesome story! I never thought I would like a story so much about dragons. When I read the blurb about this book I was a little unsure, but I was struck by the beautiful cover. I know, I know, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I did! Plus, I read some of the reviews =)

The question is where to begin for this review without spoiling....hhhhhmmmm......

Aurora (aka Rory) is awesome! How can I explain how great she is?? She i
Jade
Sep 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Read from September 11 to November 28, 2012

Ebook received and (almost)read book for an honest review.

Now I admit. I have yet to finish the book. Reason being: I just. can't. do it (and at 70%, that's saying something).

This book fell short on just about every level.

I kept waiting for Aurora to buck up and show some spine. I kept waiting for Fenn to grow a pair and be a man! I kept waiting for the bad guy to show up and kick their ass because they needed it. I kept waiting for some crazy adventu
Maghon Thomas
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Aurora, aka Rory and Fenn are foster siblings. At ten years old, they arrive at the same house with no memories of a single thought before that moment. Aurora always knew she was different, but never understood why. Her life's goal is to find her and Fenn's biological parents to find out why they were each in the same situation. And Fenn just wants to stay by her side and protect her. AND THEN some crazy things happen. Things literally are thrown out the window. Forget normal. Forget work. Forg
Book Pusher
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Okay, for starters…just look at the cover! I love this cover!! I was fortunate to be given a copy of Born in Flames by the author for review. As soon as I saw the cover, my interest was piqued..and once I read the synopsis…well, this book got booted right to the top of my TO READ list! I mean, a story about a dragon shifter..I was completely intrigued. Vampires and werewolves are everywhere…but dragon shifters…not so much!

I absolutely Loved the relationship between Aurora (Rory) and her best fri
Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
I really loved Born in Flames, it grabs your attention from the very beginning, and does not let go! Candace Knoebel has spun a wonderful tale, it has it all, adventure, danger, mystery and love. There is magic, Fates, warriors, dragons and a prophesy, her characters are beautifully written, it was such an enjoyable pleasure to read. My only complaint is that I have to wait for the next book. I'm impatient, I need to know what happens to Aurora and Fenn now!

I finished Born in Flames a day or 2 a
witchypoo
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, r2r
I was given this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.
All in all, this book was fairly good, I thought. It was very descriptive, sometimes distractingly so, but mostly it was written well. I enjoyed the story line, it moved at a good pace. I guess one complaint that I have is that the author didn't give us time to really know Fenn & Aurora as friends before thrusting into them realizing that they were in love with each other. Other than that, I thought it was well thought out
Elizabeth
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Born in Flames is the first part of a trilogy which I am looking forward to finishing since I love dragons and loved the concept of the book, however, I always feel a bit disappointed in first books, because I want to know what else happens in the story, but my impatience is hardly Knoebel's fault... I WANT MORE!

So that being said, I enjoyed this book, Knoebel's narration style and The Born in Flame's storyline feels fresh.

The protagonist Aurora is strong, stubborn and a bit hot headed but her c
Amy
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Everything about this book drew me in.. from the book description and the cover.. and the author didn't disappoint either.. the story is absolutely incredible from start to finish its one magical ride full of adrenaline! It's absolutely Amazing!!!
The main character Aurora learns that she is a dragon and that "The Fates" are out to destroy her before she can come into her power and save her people.. she has hard choices to make along the way and not a lot of time to do it.. she has to find three
D-rod
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very catching and awesome cover art. Love everything I've seen so far.
Dan Thompson
I recently had the opportunity to interview American author Candace Knoebel, which some of you may already know after having read it. Well as a kind gesture, Candace sent me a complementary copy of ‘Born in Flames’, which I have finally got around to reading and as debut novels go, this one is a special gem.

For those of you who have not heard of this, ‘Born in Flames’ is YA Urban Fantasy novel whose lead characters Aurora and Fenn, soon realise that they are unlike everybody else in their small
Joelle

Born in Flames
(Born in Flames Trilogy #1)
by Candace Knoebel

5 stars
Reviewed by: Angels
Format:Kindle
Published: 48fourteen
Source:author copy Genre:Paranormal Romance

About Book

Aurora Megalos, orphaned and teetering on the edge of adulthood, tho
Jagged
Oct 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
I hated this book. I didn't want to finish it. I skimmed the majority of the end. And I am glad I did, because nothing worthwhile took place in this book.
The preface had absolutely nothing to offer, and I am confused as to what purpose it was supposed to fulfill. It wouldn't have been missed had it just been left out. Seriously, it was like a bunch of lettuce on a sandwich. Filler. In fact, the first chapter of this book would have served better as the preface.

The Prophecy

It was very simple. Eas
Haley ~ YA-Aholic
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Really loved the idea of this story, I for one am a huge fan of dragons in novels, sadly it is something that is not put into novels as often as vampires or werewolves though. So when I saw Born in Flames on Reading away the days tour sign up page, I was more than ecstatic to sign up and read it.

At first going into Born in Flames, while I was excited, I was also nervous the book was going to have too much in common with Firelight, just based off of the cover, a girl that can turn into a fire b
Tarra
1 star

Argh! I am so tired of books like this!

I truly do not understand how this is rated so highly. The protagonist was so....weak, like all the time... I don't know what about her gives anyone the impression that she's strong. She's just like all the rest of them.

Reasons I disliked Aurora:

1) She couldn't do a thing on her own. She was given ALL the tools she needed to reach her goal, yet she was never written to go off and be successful on her own. When she lost her first "helper" I thought "O
Check this book out 1 2 Sep 06, 2013 03:39PM
Shut Up & Read: {Read It & Reap106}-Born in Flames by Candace Knoebel 61 202 Nov 24, 2012 11:12PM
Crazy for Young A...: FIERY FRIDAY GIVEAWAY: Born in Flames by Candace Knoebel 2 22 Oct 26, 2012 10:04PM
Q&A with Candace ...: Welcome 5 16 Sep 24, 2012 05:19PM
Q&A with Candace ...: Questions for Aurora 1 10 Sep 23, 2012 04:57PM
Happily Ever Afte...: Book Trailer!!! 3 40 Aug 29, 2012 07:48AM
  • ReAwakened (Angel Creek, #2)
  • Forged by Greed (Forged, #1)
  • Flutter (The Discover, #1)
  • Wonderstruck
  • The Forbidden Trilogy (The Forbidden Trilogy #1-3)
  • First Frost (Frost, #1)
  • Ashes and Ice (Ashes and Ice, #1)
  • Wicked Fate (Wicked, #1)
  • Moon Crossed: The Complete First Season (Crescent Hunter #1)
  • The Athena Effect (The Athena Effect, #1)
  • Black Moon (Paige Tailor, #1)
  • Never Let You Fall (The Prophecy of Tyalbrook, #1)
  • The Blue Eyes Trilogy Complete Collection (Blue Eyes, #1-3)
  • Thunderstorm (Daughters of Eden, #1)
  • Awaken (Daughters of the Sea, #2)
  • Prowl (Prowl Trilogy, #1)
  • Fire & Shadow (Hand of Kali, #1)
  • Mark of the Princess (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
Candace Knoebel is a hopeless romantic with an affinity for whiskey and good music. Her love of words began when she met the boy who lived in the cupboard under the stairs. She's a self-proclaimed Lost Girl. Words are her mirror.

With two completed series, her work ranges from paranormal to contemporary, all centered heavily around romance.

Currently she lives in Florida with her husband and two c

Born in Flames Trilogy (3 books)
  • Embracing the Flames (The Born in Flames Trilogy Book 2)
  • From the Embers (Born in Flames Trilogy, #3)
“Why would we evade the fates? Why are they here?” 3 likes