Start by marking “Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed a Breed--One Flying Disc at a Time” as Want to Read:

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  968 Ratings  ·  155 Reviews
The author of the New York Times bestseller The Lost Dogs shares the heartwarming tale of one plucky, unwanted pit bull who achieved international celebrity.

Today, Wallace is a champion. But in the summer of 2005, he was living in a shelter, a refugee from a suspicious pit bull–breeding operation. Then Andrew “Roo” Yori entered the picture. A scientist and shelter voluntee
Published August 30th 2012 by Gotham Books (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Wallace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wallace

Clara
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
I may be biased, but this is the best dog book ever written. Wallace is my boy! I can confirm that he is an inspiring dog and so very lovable.
Carrie
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I'm a huge champion of pit bull type dogs. I do a lot of work with dog rescue in Philly, so I was thrilled when I saw this book at our local library. I devoured the first 100 pages and I really enjoyed learning about Wallace's story and background. (I often wonder what my rescued mutts' lives were like before we came into their lives.) I founded a non-profit that pairs up runners with shelter dogs (www.themonstermilers.org) for the same reasons Roo started entering Wallace in weight-pulling comp ...more
Donna
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, sports
I loved the story about Wallace. And what is really great, is that this was actually a story about Wallace....not its owner with a little dog story thrown in. I'm constantly amazed at the generosity and the determination possessed by those who truly set out to make a difference, whether they meant to do that all along or if it just kind of happened. Their capacity to love is great.

This is a rescue story of a pit bull that had some aggressive tendencies. People stepped in to save his life and he
K
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wallace by Jim Gorant is a different kind of dog story. Yes, it may remind some of Marley and Me – there is the rambunctious dog, after all. And yes, it may have hints of The Art of Raccing in the Rain – the owner’s own personal struggles are documented as well. But it is a one-of-a kind dog story. It is uplifting and inspiring and centers around Wallace, an underdog (literally), who, with the love and dedication of his owner, Roo Yori, is able to become a world champion disc dog and force peopl ...more
Pamela Kramer
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls -- One Flying Disc at a Time" by Jim Gorant is another dog story. Gorant wrote "The Lost Dogs" about the Michael Vick dogs and it's still one of the best books out there about the Vick story.

In "Wallace," Gorant introduces us to another pit bull. This dog starts life in a home where his future is unknown -- perhaps to be sold as a fighting dog, or perhaps to end up as a bait dog. With Wallace's personality,
Juandaful
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of Wallace and Roo and Clara is one that more people who own any type of dog should read. It's a huge testament to perseverance, love, creative thinking, the power of practicing your craft (Wallace was only half the team, Roo put in his time so he could be a worthy 'other half'), and being able to recognize when you've found the thing that fits, whether it be a relationship, a type of diet, or a sport with your dog. I read this book in one sitting, I found it delightful, heartbreaking, ...more
Ann M. Noser
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit to the following biases:
1) I love dogs of all kinds.
2) I am a Veterinarian.
3) I knew Wallace personally. He was charming, lovable, and sweet.
4) My family had a pit bull by the name of Melon Head for many years. He came to us a stray and died an old man. He was my father's best friend.

I'm amazed and impressed at how honest Wallace's owners were when interviewed for this book. That takes a special kind of bravery.

Reading this book will help you learn about pit bulls and learn about your
Vicki
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the story, but did not care for the author's writing style. Too much redundancy. I admire Clara and Roo's commitment to Wallace and the "cause". I experienced breed specific discrimination when I had an American Staffordshire. She was the best dog ever, but my homeowners insurance agent didn't agree. I found a new agent. Great story and pictures.
Patricia
Knowing I would love this book and this dog, I really looked forward to reading about Wallace. According to the book's cover this dog conquered a sport, saved a marriage and helped champion his unpopular breed. Wallace is a pit bull. Reading the description of a dog who did all this piqued my curiosity, mesmerized me and even had me feeling a bit humble.

Unfortunately, Wallace didn't come close to meeting my expectations. This dog is not a super hero in my opinion, but rather the victim of uber
Kirsti
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic book! I knew as soon as I saw this book that I had to own it. I nonchalantly walked down the animal aisle, gasping as I reached for this book and holding it tight as if someone was going to steal it from me. It had to be a perfect reading afternoon like today for me to read it.

I enjoy Jim Gorant's writing style, but of the two books of his I have now read, it is his subject matter I admire. Usually Jim writes Sports related books, but it is with this book about Freestyle Disc ca
Emily Ann Meyer
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, dogs, 2013
AnnieM
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yep I read another dog book. But this is so very different than any other book. Sure it's about an owner who develops a bond with a dog, but it is more.

This is a dog who has to be part cat. He survives early days of puppyhood when his owner dies. He is saved from what would most likely be a life of dog fighting. Wallace could have made headlines for a very different reason, but rescue people ended that.

He was placed in a home with someone who would love and train him. Then he had more energy tha
Amy
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I am rating based on the message in the book and/or what Wallace has accomplished, I would give it 4 or 5 stars. However, if I am truly rating the book itself, 3 stars is more accurate.

I love the story of Wallace and his people. Wallace shows how dedicated, loving owners can make a difference in a dog's life and that pits can do and be so much more than many people know. However, I found parts of the book repetitive while I felt other parts dragged. I was also curious how the author found out
Marissa
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read (or in my case, listen), especially for dog lovers. This is quite the story of a couple who really persevered with a dog that faced a lot of challenges, some due to circumstance and others due to his behaviors. Regardless, it's quite a tale of all the good that can lie within a dog (even one that's quite a rascal), if only someone takes the time to see it. Wallace's people (Roo & Clara) made tremendous effort to save Wallace when the deck was completely stacked against him. ...more
Lucas
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing story Wallace sounds like a great dog! I have to give this book 5 stars more for the message and the importance of what I guess you could call doggy civil rights than for the writing style. Mostly in the beginning the Author ended chapters with cliffhangers like you would see in a cheesy action novel. The real hero of this story is Roo I firmly believe although a great dog that Wallace isn't that unique pit bulls are so smart loyal and loving dogs each and everyone out there could ach ...more
Nigel Stolting
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Top marks to Jim Gorant, Wallace is a must read. Once you start reading it's impossible to put the book down. I've been following the adventures of Wallace for the last several years through Facebook and his online videos on YouTube. In all these years, I never knew that he was such a troublesome teen and that his weight pulling and disk work were ways to curb his outlandish behavior. I'd also like to commend Roo and Clara for opening themselves up and letting Jim write about their relationship, ...more
Cecelia
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great book. I have long been a proponent of "dangerous dog" laws instead of breed-specific legislation. PROBLEM DOGS & DANGEROUS DOGS COME IN ALL SHAPES, SIZES, & BREEDS. This book gave me hope that someday we can get this message across to all. I am not a writer, per se, so the words that come to mind when reading this were:
Heart-warming,
informative,
thought-provoking,
funny,
and well-written.
I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did! ^_^
Carolyn
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was truly inspiring. I thought it was amazing that Wallace's owner held down two jobs while training Wallace and participating in so many competitions. Pit bulls have been given an unjustified bad rep and this book should go a long way towards dispelling the myths. I highly recommend it! I received a free advanced reading copy of this title from the publisher.
Liz Lawrence
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The biographical story of Wallace encompasses the lives of the people around him. It reads almost like an independent fiction. I highly recommend this book, especially if you love people human and otherwise.
Ruth
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best story about the misunderstood pit bulls... I LOVED this story and all the characters. What a wonderful tribute to the breed. Exciting and heartwarming.
Whitney
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read several animal-centered memoirs and I believe this is perhaps my favorite, or at least the most well written. Plus yay for Pitbull advocacy and responsible ownership!
Cat
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so happy that Wallace's story is available to the world. All breeds, just like people, can do great things or bad things. Roo and Clara Yori show that it takes patience and understanding to help a dog blossom to his/her true potential.
Cassandra Jane
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite dog book thus far! It does a great job illustrating many of the issues shelters and pitbulls face, and sweetly informs us of creative ways to approach and conquer these challenges. Such a sweet read!
Erin
5 stars for pit bulls
3 stars for the writing itself
Salima
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved that his human family never gave up on him!
Jen
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dog-books
Jim Gorant has done it again! His excellent work, thorough research and engaging way of writing has represented Wallace and family in a great light, and done bully breeds everywhere proud. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Wallace, Roo, Clara and other recognizable members of Wallace's extended family from the beginning. I became familiar with Wallace in 2006, when he (and the resurgence of canine disc) was still relatively new, while raising and training my own large breed, not-exactly-right ...more
Sandra
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doggies
I have followed Wallace for years now, since his story about discs first started appearing in articles on the web. I adore this little guy.
However, I wasn't sure if it was possible of putting his story into words that would interest more people than pure dog lovers, a wider audience than just people who already knew of the subject - but it totally worked.
This book, even though it recounts real life events, reads like a novel. It had my crying and laughing and it is just heart warming to read W
Meg - A Bookish Affair
I'm not sure whether or not it shines through in my reading selections but I am a huge animal lover. I haven't met many animals that I don't like. Right now, I have two kitty cats (Winston and Totoro) but growing up, I always had cats and dogs (sometimes fish, lizards, and turtles too). My schedule right now is not conducive to having a dog right now and it makes me so sad. I have been loving stories about dogs lately because of that. Wallace definitely fit the bill.

I loved this story because no
Christine
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend lent me this book because I love animals, but I'm not much of a sports person. I love pit bulls and never liked how people treat them, and I'm glad that this book is all about redemption for a pit bull that nobody wanted. This is a true story but don't worry, it's not one of those books where the dog dies in the end and is a tear-jerker.

The story begins when Roo meets Clara in college (this part is not about dogs whatsoever, but it's not too in depth so it's worth reading), then they e
Randi
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads and I LOVE this book! I don't often read books regarding animals so I was really glad I won this book.

It's about a dog who no one wanted. A couple who worked/volunteered at an animal shelter saw him and fell in love with him. They fought for him to stay alive to get neutered. It's an amazing story and the fact that he can do frisbees which is awesome as his breed isn't made for this sport. The point is, he has proved that pit bulls are not evil that
  • The Possibility Dogs: What a Handful of "Unadoptables" Taught Me About Service, Hope, and Healing
  • I'm a Good Dog: Pit Bulls, America's Most Beautiful (and Misunderstood) Pet
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
  • Love at First Bark: How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself
  • No Buddy Left Behind: Bringing U.S. Troops' Dogs and Cats Safely Home from the Combat Zone
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
  • Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Weekends with Daisy
  • A Dog Named Boo: How One Dog and One Woman Rescued Each Other--and the Lives They Transformed Along the Way
  • A Dog Walks Into a Nursing Home: Lessons in the Good Life from an Unlikely Teacher
  • Bad to the Bone: Memoir of a Rebel Doggie Blogger
  • Woman's Best Friend: Women Writers on the Dogs in Their Lives
  • Sophie: Dog Overboard
  • Puppy Chow is Better Than Prozac: The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life
Shortly after his birth in Brooklyn, New York, Jim's family decamped for the greener pastures of northern New Jersey. Other than the four years when he escaped to college in the distant metropolis of Philadelphia, he’s spent his entire life in the Garden State, where he still lives with his wife and two children.

Jim Gorant's career in magazine publishing began in 1990 with a job at Good Housekeepi
More about Jim Gorant...