Start by marking “Crucible (Crossfire, #2)” as Want to Read:
Crucible (Crossfire, #2)

Crucible (Crossfire #2)

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  160 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Nancy Kress made her reputation in the early 90s with her multiple award-winning novella, "Beggars in Spain," which became the basis for her extremely successful Beggars Trilogy (comprising Beggars in Spain, Beggars and Choosers, and Beggars Ride). Since then she has written over a dozen novels, including the well-received Probability Trilogy, culminating in Probability Sp ...more
Published June 13th 2005 by Tor Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Crucible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crucible

JW
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little ashamed that I'm giving up on this book. But I am.

It's no fault of Nancy Kress' (well, not much, see the end). It's a well written examination of a semi-utopian experiment, a space colony, running afoul of ethnic strife and outside aggression. It's either a sequel or the author is a firm adherent to in media res, there's a lot of back story.

At some point I got a book that was shinier, more exciting or just had another hold on it at the library, and I set Crucible aside. And I just c
Rachel
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
This is the first of Nancy Kress's books that I haven't considered excellent. I couldn't suspend disbelief enough to accept that colonists, even living in a relatively problem-free utopia, were so incredibly naive, especially the 45-year-old colony manager. I skimmed through the middle part, where it was painfully obvious how she, and they, were being set up. (Kress could have made it less obvious, but I don't know how much that would have helped.) Not only were all the human characters boring s ...more
Cher
This book was pretty painful to read, because you see the disaster looming for the first 200 pages, then it hits really hard and painfully -- it feels so exhaustingly brutal, even though it's an interesting story set in an interesting world. Would give it more stars if it weren't so excruciating.
Kae Cheatham
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spec-fiction
This is a sequel to Crossfire, but it's a good standalone story. Alex Cutler, member of one of the founding colonists clans on Greentrees, is the one of three political leaders of the community. Her mentor and friend is Jake Holman, who devised the colonization plan sixty years previous. Jake is now in his eighties, and one of the few original Terrans living on planet.

Karim Mahjoub and Lucy Lasky (Jake's former lover) have been off planet for nearly 40 years (have aged only 5 years), on a missi
Susan
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the second of two set on "Greentrees", following Crossfire. It continues the story of the Greentrees colonists and the aliens they encounter, both on the planet and in space. Here, however, things are complicated by the arrival of a ship from Terra (earth).

Most of the characters from the first book are dead or very old, but the new ones are equally interesting. We watch as they struggle with the growing pains of their supposedly idyllic society, at the same time they're trying to de
Ryan Mishap
The sequel to Crossfire finds our new planet colony 39 years later, with a generation of young people not originally from earth--and a rebellion growing amongst young Chinese who feel left out of Greentrees' society. While a mission from the previous book is carried out, a new ship arrives from earth--carrying new emigrants who may or may not have the best interests of the colony at heart.

A deft novel with multiple plot-lines that rely on the human element to converge. I don't read much SF, but
Ea_colon
Oct 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this book. I didn't like the huge mid-book conflict pivot. I didn't like how it seems to have just forgotten about characters. I didn't like the one-note aliens. I didn't like how this book seems to believe it's own sweeping generalizations about people generally and it's characters particularly. I didn't like how nonchalant the climax of the alien invasion felt. I didn't like the romantic subplot. Bad feelings all around.
Stevelvis
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
CROSSFIRE and CRUCIBLE by NANCY KRESS -- Two books of a series with humans on a distant planet intersect with two warring alien species. One species, the Furs, is normally an agressive species but has been genetically modified by the other species, the Vines, who are unlike any other species encountered by humans. The Vine biology, means of communication and biotechnology are quite different from that represented in most SciFi stories.
Jim Mcclanahan
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good sequel to "Crossfire". Some things were pretty predictable. But by the halfway point, I was in uncharted (or at least unguessed) territory. I would have liked to see more detail about the space Furs and I thought the pseudo-Cheyenne were a little too stereotypical. But, as with her other work, the overall strength of the characters carried the tale.
Kay Prell
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
jumped into this before realizing it was the second book but it works well as a stand alone. Through the first half gave it a solid 3 stars - then about halfway through went up to at least 4 stars - maybe you just have to like Nancy Kress' way of seeing things. deals with issues of leadership - do we need it, what do we want from it, what are we willing to put up with from it.
Mathew Walls
Quite a disappointment after the first one. Crucible is really slow, and doesn't really get moving until the second half. On top of that, the reader becomes aware of issues long before the characters do and the eventual solutions aren't set up much in advance, so there's a sort of uncomfortable tension to the whole experience.
Mark Edlund
A good conclusion to Crossfire. Kress still did not really fill out the Vines and Furs as characters but were more as foils to her human characters. Interesting finish and how the humans sacrifice to win the war.
Lonerhino
I do not think a sequel to this book is needed.
Sheryl
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this sequel as much as the first one. The characters were a little too extreme for me - too naive, too power-hungry.
Kathleen
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
this was a great follow up to Crossfire. Great characters and face paced with lots of action and drama.
John T. Dueker
Not as good as the first

Too long a build to an obvious plot situation several times.

Some really awful science errors and no back ground to several characters who just appear.
Ralph
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Self Preservation

Whereas book one centered on a moral dilemma book two focuses on learning from the past and not repeating yesterday's mistakes. Not a compelling read.
Corey Haines
Jun 08, 2012
T.K. Kenyon
Mar 18, 2011
Tiane
rated it did not like it
Oct 18, 2015
Apr 08, 2011
Jute Panama
Jul 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Lost in Transmission (The Queendom of Sol #3)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-First Annual Collection
  • The Necessary Beggar
  • Braided World
  • White Devils
  • Venus of Dreams
  • Death Dream
  • Exultant (Destiny's Children, #2)
  • Reclamation
  • Rogue Star (Firestar, #2)
  • Camelot 30K
  • Banner of Souls
  • Beyond Infinity
  • The Locus Awards : Thirty Years of the Best in Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Grail (Jacob's Ladder, #3)
  • Absolutely Captivated (Fates #5)
  • The Killing Star
  • The Margarets
Nancy Kress is an American science fiction writer. She began writing in 1976 but has achieved her greatest notice since the publication of her Hugo and Nebula-winning 1991 novella Beggars in Spain which was later expanded into a novel with the same title. In addition to her novels, Kress has written numerous short stories and is a regular columnist for Writer's Digest. She is a regular at Clario ...more
More about Nancy Kress...

Crossfire (2 books)
  • Crossfire (Crossfire, #1)

“A good end cannot sanctify evil means, nor must we ever do evil that good may come of it.” 1 likes
“World-wide warming moved tropical diseases into northern areas which had no defenses against them.” 1 likes