Start by marking “The Fire Gown (The Mongolian Wizard, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Fire Gown (The Mongolian Wizard, #2)

The Fire Gown

(The Mongolian Wizard #2)

A second “Mongolian Wizard” tale from Hugo and Nebula Award-winning author Michael Swanwick – continuing an epic of magic and deception in an alternate Europe of railroads and sorcery..
Published August 8th 2012 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Fire Gown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fire Gown

Start your review of The Fire Gown (The Mongolian Wizard, #2)
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
description

Not as much fun as Katniss' dress, unfortunately. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

“The Fire Gown” is the second story in Michael Swanwick’s THE MONGOLIAN WIZARD series of short stories on Tor, set in an alternate 19th century Europe where magic works both good and evil (you should read The Mongolian Wizard first for background and context). Franz-Karl Ritter, formerly an officer in the Werewolf Corps, a type of K9 Corps where men share a mind link with their wolves, has now accepted a
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

There’s nothing quite like female monarchs who take up spontaneous combustion as a hobby, if you ask me. So yay and stuff.

The stories in this series are Slightly Very Entertaining (SVE). The stories in this series are Super Extra Short (SES). The stories in this series are Super Extra Free (SEF). This particular story is SUPER EXTRA HERE (SEH). So read it and stuff.

· Story #1: The Mongolian Wizard
· Story #3: Day of the Kraken
· Story #4: House of Dreams
· Story #5: The
Daniel
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, serial, short
4.25. wonderful. getting the impression it's not good to be a woman in this series, but the voice is a delight. this was an excellent break from the novel I'm reading.
Stephen Richter
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Story # 2 available on Tor.com. Toby and Ritter arrive in England to discover the Queen has been assassinated on the eve of the war with the Mongolian Wizard. Swanwick again writes a crisp tale of adventure.
Jen
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-freebie
So sad!!! 4.5 stars, rounded down because SAD!
Mir
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
At least this one has an accurate title. Day of the Kraken, pfft!
Caroline
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I feel these lines from the story itself sum things up pretty well:

“This has not been a very satisfactory adventure,” he managed at last to say. “No, it has not. But it could have turned out worse.”

It had some really good lines and the mystery wasn`t bad, but the whole story moved way too fast, even for a short story. Also, I did not like the character of Shulamith. She was just all over the place. One minute she`s this strong young woman, next she`s collapsing in a teary mess - into the arms of
Alex Sarll
More espionage and skulduggery in a magical alternate 19th century (I fear the term 'spellpunk' may well have been used of this series, by people who should know better). On paper, I should like Swanwick more than I do.
Ron
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, short
Great story, but hardly standalone fiction.
Tien
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, short-story
Read as part of The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on Tor.com but the story can be found online, here
Katherine
This is the second story in the Mongolian Wizard Series, and it's a little on the light side. I was kind of hoping that they'd color in the lines some more on the world. They do a little bit, but I was left wanting.
Jasper
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2015...

Just last week I read the first story in the Mongolian Wizard series of Michael Swanwick, and I enjoyed it. I have been recently reading a new thing Bookburners which is a serialized fiction, like a tv show but in short story format and actually I got the same feeling from this series of Michael Swanwick. Even more so with finishing this second story. Each story is like a little episode.

Picking up directly from The Mongolian Wizard,
John Shaw
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Michael Swanwick continues to cement
his position as one of the premier world builders
in modern SF.
Here he presents a different early 20th Century
where sorcery rules.
And the main threat looming over
Europe is the Mongolian Wizard
driving the word towards war.
Though sinister plots the Wizard
drives Europe towards chaos.
Magical plots and sacrifices
are the tools of the anarchist in this 1900's.
Set against them is Franz-Karl Ritter
a Prussian Lt. attached to his new commander
the British sorcerer and
Sidsel Pedersen
3,5 star
The second story in the series about the Mongolian Wizard.

The story feels more as a sketch than a complete story and that is why I "only" give it 3.5 stars.
Read my review: http://wp.me/p40HVI-bC
M Sabet
Jul 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sff
کارای این بابا، جادوگر مغولی اصلاً قابل فهم نیست برام. میزنه ملکهی یه کشور رو میکشه که چی؟ که اون کشور رو با خودش دشمن کنه و به بندازتش تو دامن اتحاد دشمنانش؟ آخه اینم شد کار؟ برای ایجاد رعب و وحشت کارهای بهتری میشه انجام داد. این بابا یه راست واسه خودش دشمن میتراشه. ...more
MiA
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I feel like Sir Toby's sarcasm is growing on me.

Now let me look at you! Thin as a rail, pale as an Eskimo, and weak as my grandfather a month after he died. You are immensely improved.
Boulder Boulderson
Fun second book of the Mongolian Wizard series. It would work really well as an addition to a main series, but when I looked further into it, there doesn't seem to be one, which is a disappointment.
JM
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised when I started reading this one and it turned out to be a sequel to the Mongolian Wizard. Hope he writes more.
Andi
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Too short!
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The more I read of this series, the more I love it! Thank you to Tor.com for posting these online to read.

Seriously, WHEN do I get to buy the book? :)
Beth
Oct 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: shorts
I thought that this installment was a bit better than the first.

Link to the first story: http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/07/th...
Chris
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tor-com
A bit shorter than the first installment. But good nonetheless. The queen is murdered and Ritter must use his instincts to find out who. Cause of death was the Fire Gown.
Alytha

• Apex Magazine Issue 105, February 2018
  • The City Born Great
  • Nine Last Days on Planet Earth
  • Mama Bruise
  • The Drive-In (A B-Movie with Blood and Popcorn, Made in Texas)
  • The Lost Child of Lychford (Lychford, #2)
  • Knowledgeable Creatures
  • The Lights Go Out in Lychford (Lychford, #4)
  • Vigilance

The Mongolian Wizard (9 books)
  • The Mongolian Wizard (The Mongolian Wizard, #1)
  • Day of the Kraken (The Mongolian Wizard, #3)
  • House of Dreams (The Mongolian Wizard, #4)
  • The Night of the Salamander (The Mongolian Wizard, #5)
  • The Pyramid of Krakow (The Mongolian Wizard, #6)
  • The Phantom in the Maze (The Mongolian Wizard, #7)
  • Murder in the Spook House (The Mongolian Wizard, #8)
  • The New Prometheus (The Mongolian Wizard, #9)