Start by marking “December's Thorn: A Fever Devilin Novel” as Want to Read:
December's Thorn: A Fever Devilin Novel

December's Thorn: A Fever Devilin Novel (Fever Devilin #7)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
"December's thorn, cruelest in the wood, Will give no rose, but still draw blood" Traditional

Fever Devilin is an academic with a complicated past and an unusual view of the world. A folklorist by training, he's returned to his family home in Blue Mountain, a small town in the heart of Georgia's Appalachian Mountains, where nothing is ever quite what it seems, and the past
Published January 22nd 2013 by Minotaur Books (first published January 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about December's Thorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about December's Thorn

Carolyn
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this novel from goodreads.com. I absolutely loved this book. Mr. DePoy is responsible for me not doing much besides reading about Fever Devilin and the bizarre life he lived. Every page had me second guessing what I thought would be the outcome. I have to say that I was completely blown away when it was revealed who David and Iscod really were. Not at all what I expected!
Now, I want to go back and read the other Fever Devilin novels.
Mr. DePoy has a new fan in Louisiana!
Evgeny
First things first: I need to mention I received this book in Goodreads giveaways.

Fever Devilin is a retired professor living in a secluded location in a small town. He recovers from a coma (I think it was explained in the previous book). Suddenly a strange woman comes to him claiming to be his wife with his child. Poor Fever does not have any recollection of ever being married, let alone having children, he is also currently engaged - so the complications arise. Strange things start piling up,
Katie
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really look forward to each new book in this series. It is always a pleasure to see what Fever is up to this time, and the plots are most definitely twisted. I never manage to guess "Whodunnit".
Steph
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A giant pet peeve of mine is reading books out of order. When I stumble upon an author who is new to me, whose work I enjoy, I like to go to the beginning and start with their first book and read them in order from there. Many books stand alone and can be read in any order and still be entertaining, but reading all the books by an author, especially those with a recurring character, builds layers of comprehension and enjoyment that is missed if you go in random order.

A few years ago, I picked up
Cheryl
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-edition
READ THE FEVER DEVILIN BOOKS IN ORDER!!!!!

Okay there - I've said it again in big letters.

Can you read these out of order? Sure, but you'll be missing that little special something called context that will keep you from experiencing Fever's history and world to the fullest. This is a family history series that just happens to have a mystery in each book. Actually you could probably get away with reading the first batch out of order but these last 3 are really a trilogy: The Drifter's Wheel, A Co
Diane
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I throughly enjoyed this selection, my first by Philip DuPoy, as the story moved back and forth between the protagonist and the weaving of mythology from several different cultures. It reminds as how similar we are, rather than how different.

You find yourself trying to solve the mystery, as you would any other. By following the clues you are given. Unfortunately, the clues keep changing and being added to, and you find yourself searching for a thread you might have missed along the way.

I'll cert
Angela Hostetler
I've read all of the Fever Devlin novels. Thoroughly enjoyed this one! Easy read, great characters, beautiful descriptive scenery. The intertwining of character story lines is better to those who have followed the characters thru the other books but is not dependent upon it. Highly recommend.
LJ
First Sentence: The past lingers all around us, a clear winter’s light, and a shroud.

Not only is academic and folklorist Fever Devlin still recovering for a coma after nearly dying, but his friends are concerned that he is crazy. This fear increases after Fever claims to have been visited by a woman claiming to be his wife and that he has a son. However, when there is no evidence of this woman having been there, Fever’s fiancée asks a friend, Dr. Nelson, to stay with him. No matter what they thi
Suspense Magazine
December's Thorn
By Phillip DePoy
I like surreal, I like mystery, and I like a detachment from the ‘norm.’ Which means I like DePoy’s latest Fever Devilin novel. To enter Fever’s world is to take a chance that nothing is real or at least, nothing is as it seems…because you may not know what it is to begin with. Understand? No? Well, welcome to Devilin’s life.

Trying to recover from a near death experience—which included being in a coma—Fever Devilin receives a strange visitor to his Blue Mountain,
Ashley
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book from Macmillan through a First Reads giveaway, thank you!

I should preface this by saying I have not read the previous six Fever Devilin novels. It worked just fine as a stand-alone, although I'm sure some of the tidbits in this book would have made a little more sense had I read the older ones (ie Fever's coma). I did find this book enjoyable enough that I'm planning on reading 1-6 now.

When a woman shows up at Fever Devilin's door claiming to be his wife, and better yet to h
  • Caught Dead (Rick Van Lam, #1)
  • Phantom Limb: A Daniel Rinaldi Mystery
  • Canyon Sacrifice (National Park Mystery #1)
  • Godchild (Jack Marconi #2)
  • Kira, Daughter of the Moon
  • Dead Lions (Slough House, #2)
  • The Dark End of the Street: New Stories of Sex and Crime by Today's Top Authors
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • The Russian Donation
  • Chasing Shadows: A Special Agent's Lifelong Hunt to Bring a Cold War Assassin to Justice
  • Dallas Noir
  • Widowmaker (Mike Bowditch, #7)
  • Steve McQueen: A Biography
  • Lincoln: A President for the Ages
  • Elihu Washburne : The Diary and Letters of America's Minister to France During the Siege and Commune of Paris
  • Jacob's Cellar
  • Lay the Favorite: A Memoir of Gambling
  • The Ultimatum (Jeremy Fisk #3)
Phillip DePoy has published short fiction, poetry, and criticism in Story, The Southern Poetry Review, Xanadu, Yankee, and other magazines. He is currently the creative director of the Maurice Townsend Center for the Performing Arts at the State University of West Georgia, and has had many productions of his plays at regional theaters throughout the south. He is the recipient of numerous grants fr ...more
More about Phillip DePoy...

Fever Devilin (7 books)
  • The Devil's Hearth (Fever Devilin, #1)
  • The Witch's Grave (Fever Devilin, #2)
  • A Minister's Ghost (Fever Devilin, #3)
  • A Widow's Curse (Fever Devilin, #4)
  • The Drifter's Wheel (Fever Devilin, #5)
  • A Corpse's Nightmare (Fever Devilin, #6)