Start by marking “A Minister's Ghost: A Fever Devilin Mystery” as Want to Read:
A Minister's Ghost: A Fever Devilin Mystery

A Minister's Ghost: A Fever Devilin Mystery (Fever Devilin #3)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  251 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Fever Devilin is a folklorist who fled the fevered halls of academia to return home to the Blue Mountain region of the Georgia Appalachians and a hopefully quiet life. While on a trip collecting folklore, Fever spots an apparition at a railroad crossing. Such apparitions are traditionally omens of evil, and when he returns home he finds his suspicions are accurate: his fri ...more
Published December 27th 2005 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about A Minister's Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Minister's Ghost

Michael
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phillip DePoy is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.
LJ
A MINISTER’S GHOST (Amateur Sleuth/Folklorist-Georgia-Cont) – G+
DePoy, Phillip – 3rd in series
St. Martin’s Press, 2006 – Hardcover
Fever Devilin is the son of carnival owners, an ex-professor and folklorist who has returned to his hometown. He learns from his girlfriend, Lucinda, that her two nieces have been killed; they were in their car, sitting on the railroad tracks when it was hit by a train. But Lucinda is certain there is something suspicious about their death and asks Fever to investigat
Scarlett Clarke
Fever Devilin is a college professor and collector of tales. Folklore, religious stories, you name it. When he sees an old man at a railroad crossing it heralds the arrival of horrific news; his friend and romantic interest, Lucinda, has just received word her two nieces were killed by a train. As a favor to Lucinda Fever agrees to look into the girls' deaths, even though he believes it to be an accident. But the more he investigates the more he realizes something evil has come to Blue Mountain. ...more
Trilby
M.
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I get back into reading fiction -- mysteries in particular -- I am reminded of one of the most important ingredients in a successful book: a likeable lead character. That is a home run here with Fever Devilin, a folklorist who recently returned to his hometown of Blue Mountain in the Georgia Appalachians. The more I read, the more I realized that I really liked Fever. Like Philip Dryden in Jim Kelly's The Water Clock, Fever is not the fearless, barrel-chested hero who rips open his shirt to r ...more
Helen
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh, it was a fast read but there was very little character development. Why would I even care about the main character? All I know about him is that he is scared of dogs, used to be a professor, his parents are dead and he moved back to their house, he's into folklore, wears black and likes to eat. Other than his being scared, we don't find out any of his feelings about anything. I was interested in the mystery at first, though I found the little midget dude to be the most interesting person in ...more
Marcy Skala
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marcy by: EBMRG
Sheila Beaumont
I really enjoyed this hard-to-put-down mystery, and I'm glad to have found this new-to-me, relatively unknown author. The cast of characters is filled with fascinating, eccentric people, especially the narrator and protagonist, Fever Devilin, a professor and folklorist who has returned to his hometown in the Appalachians.

In this story, he is investigating a suspicious accident at a railroad crossing in which two teenage sisters have been killed. The vivid Southern small-town setting, excellent d
Linda  Branham Greenwell
I really enjoy Fever Devilin novels - although I admit they are not for everyone. There are detail people and there are possibilities people. Fever Devilin is for possibilities people :)
The characters are amazing, the stories are filled with possibilities and unique interpretations.
As one person said "The characters include little people, a ghost, a snake-handling preacher, hobos, a junk-yard dealer with a unique musical instrument and Fever's best friend, the sheriff who is not acting like hims
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are so many different parts of the South, it becomes difficult to create a true picture of the region, but Phillip DePoy's A MINISTER'S GHOST is both accurate and electric as he weaves a twisted tale of suspense.
Fever Delvin is a collector of the tales of his home area in the GA mountains. The death of two young women on a railroad crossing leads Fever on a twisted path to discover the truth before someone else falls victim to a crafty killer. He meets unexpected resistance from his old f
George
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#3 in the Fever Devilin mystery series set in rural northern Georgia. University professor in folklore, Devilin has returned to his very rural mountain Georgia home where he finds that he is good at solving mysteries. He becomes involved in finding out why two teenage sisters died in a railroad crossing train accident. He soon finds there is more of a dark side to his area than he had realized as he works his way finding out what happened at the crossing. Several encounters with a wandering sini ...more
Christina
May 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fever Devilin Mystery series has really become a dark horse favorite for me; I love the way that the Georgia Appalachians became not just the setting, but a silent character in these books. Our protagonist Fever is fully formed: you get a real sense of him, and through him, for the characters who surround him.
This third book in the series pulls some of the peripheral characters a bit closer to center stage, and has both a tragic vibe, and an eerie one.
Ruth
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, series
3rd in Fever Devilin Series. Focus is on finding out who is responsible for the deaths of Lucinda's nieces. Initially it appears a tragic accident … their VW hit by train, but all isn't as it appears. Andrew is in Atlanta and then London. Sheriff Skid is investigation the drug problem in town with help of Melissa who is rumored to be his mistress. Fever gets assistance from an albino dwarf hit man. Oh, and the Deveroe brothers are in charge of the local funeral home.
Grey853
Aug 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
When two girls are killed by a train, the protagonist Fever Devilin tries to find out what really happened. Why would they just park their car on a train track and be crushed?

What he finds is a series of bizarre characters and a very twisty plot.

While this book had great potential, it got weighed down by all the literary allusions and the attempt to add a supernatural element to the story. Still, it kept my interest because few of the people are what they seem to be.
Melissa Cabo
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was unpredictable and well-written. I plan to make it available to my 11th grade students as it is a great vocabulary builder! The author chooses sophisticated words that can easily be defined in context. The two major characters around which the plot builds (deceased sisters) are made remarkably poignant even though we only read about them through the memories of the active(living) characters. It is worth reading!
Sharon Michael
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Third in this series and for me, might be the best so far. A more defined and developed mystery along with the paranormal issues and more character development with the main characters.

This is a very off-beat series and I find them very addictive. The characters are unique and well developed, the writing is often lyrical and the plot lines intricate. Don't know if I will end up re-reading the series often, but I cannot resist ordering the next and I can't put them down when I'm reading.

Steph
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to give this book 4 1/2 stars. It's an excellent little mystery, a well-rounded story with my favorite elements: a good story, unexpected events, and clean... no gore, sex or graphic violence. I appreciate an author who can spin a modern mystery with flair, unique characters I care about and keep it PG. It was refreshing to read, as well as being very good. I can't wait to look for other Fever Devilin mysteries!!
Sian Jones
Mar 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
DePoy writes two series of mysteries, one worth reading (the Fever Devlin series) and one that's above-average, but mostly throwaway (the Easy series). Tragically, here he tries to combine the two, grafting on a plot and characters that would be right at home in the Easy series onto the far more subtle and complex Fever Devlin series. The result makes me cry.
Ann
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
I enjoy this series, the setting is a treasure trove of colorful characters and raw nature, a place where when it gets dark at night, it is really dark, and where folklore and superstition are just beneath the surface.
Ruth
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I randomly grabbed this off the library shelf and found I enjoyed it. All at the same time its sad, funny, romantic and touching. plus there are some tantalizing food references.. I'll definitely try and read another one of his books.
Janeal
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-books
Started reading his Flap Tucker series, Easy, Too Easy, the books were great, however I've had a hard time finding them in stores I did find some of his fever Devilin Mysteries and have found Phillip is a great writer. His books are worth a read.
Cindy Beadle
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read, full of unexpected twists and turns, great English, and each character as interesting as the next.
Alys
Jan 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A page turner where none of the characters are quite what you think.
Margot Jennifer
It's kind of an awful book. Might be better if I'd read the previous two books, maybe that would help make the characters seem more probable. Or like-able. The story is ridiculous.
Sage Streck
I think this might be my favorite Fever Devilin mystery thus far! DePoy truly has a gift for language.
Anna Lemaster
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is filled with clever dialogue (some of it academic & literary), rich characterization, humor and the perfect amount of mysterious plot.
Elizabeth
While I like this series this book was a little sadder and not that mysterious. It is still a very good read and I will be reading the next THE WIDOW 'S CURSE.
Hapzydeco
Good read. Emphasis on mythology and psychology. Devilin is a folklorist from the hill-country of the Appalachians.
Hollym
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was good but not great. I would read another book by this author if I came across one but will not actively seek one out.
Judy
  • The Broken Hearts Club
  • Dead Lines
  • O' Artful Death
  • Wolf, No Wolf
  • Blind Rage (Bernadette Saint Claire #2)
  • The Dutch Blue Error (Brady Coyne, #2)
  • Full Moon, Bloody Moon
  • Exact Revenge
  • Old Wounds (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #3)
  • In His Image (The Christ Clone Trilogy, #1)
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • Deadly Visions
  • The Vanished (Nameless Detective, #2)
Phillip DePoy has published short fiction, poetry, and criticism in Story, The Southern Poetry Review, Xanadu, Yankee, and other magazines. He is currently the creative director of the Maurice Townsend Center for the Performing Arts at the State University of West Georgia, and has had many productions of his plays at regional theaters throughout the south. He is the recipient of numerous grants fr ...more
More about Phillip DePoy...

Fever Devilin (7 books)
  • The Devil's Hearth (Fever Devilin, #1)
  • The Witch's Grave (Fever Devilin, #2)
  • A Widow's Curse (Fever Devilin, #4)
  • The Drifter's Wheel (Fever Devilin, #5)
  • A Corpse's Nightmare (Fever Devilin, #6)
  • December's Thorn: A Fever Devilin Novel (Fever Devilin #7)