Start by marking “The Good Cop (Carter Ross, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Good Cop (Carter Ross, #4)

The Good Cop

(Carter Ross Mystery #4)

Published March 5th 2013 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Good Cop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Cop

Start your review of The Good Cop (Carter Ross, #4)
Tim The Enchanter
Posted to The Literary Lawyer.ca

The Best Brad Parks Yet! - 5 Stars

I have enjoyed all of the books in this series by Brad Parks. At the time of writing this review, there are 5 books in the series and I have each of them. I think this one takes the cake as my favorite so far. While many of the reliable antics remain from the previous books, the mystery was much better and the intrigue deeper. Of the first 5, this one wins best plot in my opinion.

Plot summary

Carter Ross, the fearless
Trish
Parks has a funny, snarky delivery not unlike Janet Evanovich, and they mine the same territory in New Jersey. The main character in this series is Carter Ross, a youngish newspaper reporter for the Newark Eagle Examiner, which is a bit of a switch from other police procedurals. It gives Ross a reason to be investigating a crime and access to all the moving parts of an investigation.

The set-up on this gun-running operation was slick. Parks kept the larger aspect of this criminal network in our
Jim
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a 3.5, but it was the first book I've read by Parks & it was quite good. I want to read more. The hero is a newspaper reporter who explains quite a bit about the way the industry works now. There's a lot of information, but it's interesting & told with a wry humor & the story contains quite a bit of that. He certainly no super hero nor particularly bright & winds up in a bad spot while trying to unravel a mystery.

I think I appreciated the ending the most. The book ends at
Adrienne
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
I am a fan of Brad Parks writing
He is so funny
Last night reading, I had cramp in my cheeks and tears running down my checks. Loved this book. Plausible plots, another time with the Carter Ross character, great dialogue and a very good ending.
Carol
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Good Cop by Brad Parks
4's

From The Book:
As long as Newark Eagle-Examiner reporter Carter Ross turns in his stories on deadline, no one bats an eye if he doesn't wander into the newsroom until 10 or 11 in the morning. So it's an unpleasant surprise when he's awakened at 8:38 a.m. by a phone call from his boss, telling him a local policeman was killed and to get the story. Shaking himself awake, Carter heads off to interview the cop's widow. And then he gets another call: the story's off, the
Ami
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Brad Parks' books last year when I was looking for a new mystery series to read. Duly noted, Carter Ross might not be the most convincing investigative reporter EVER and the stereotypes were horrible, but the entertainment factor made me enjoy the books nonetheless.

This time, a local cop was killed -- but later the department issued a preliminary finding that the cop committed suicide. Carter thought it didn't match up with the description that he got from interviewing the widow and the
Cathy Cole
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
There must be something in the water in New Jersey because a lot of good writers come from there. It's my personal opinion that Brad Parks is at the top of the New Jersey list. Does that mean he drinks more of the water? I don't know. I do know however that I want him to keep writing. Every time I pick up a Carter Ross novel, I know I'm going to learn more about working in a newsroom, I'm going to be presented with a mystery that's tough to figure out, I'm going to want to hug the stuffing out ...more
Maddy
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
PROTAGONIST: Carter Ross, investigative reporter
SETTING: Newark, NJ
SERIES: #4 of 4
RATING: 4.25

Being an investigative journalist is a highly competitive job. Getting a scoop ahead of all the other media outlets is a reporter’s dream. Carter Ross of the Newark Eagle-Examiner finds that dream coming true when he’s asked to cover the story of a local policeman who was killed. He gets to the cop’s home early; and much to his surprise, he is the only reporter there. It isn’t until later that he finds
Lynn Farris
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The dedication to the book gives the reader a glimpse of what to expect when reading it. It reads:

“To my wonderful parents, who deprived me of the tormented childhood every novelist supposedly needs, instead showering me with endless love, affection, and encouragement that continues to nourish me to this day.

If my books aren’t dark and twisted enough, it’s totally their fault.”

I guess we have his parents to thank for the most humorous and at the same time serious mystery I have ever read.

“How
LInda L
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the 4th book in the Carter Ross series that I read, and by far the best. I did not read the first one nor The Fraud, but may wait a while for those -- I'm kind of Brad Parksed out for the moment. This one was great -- I love how he gets a bit of humor in when there are dire situations. Also, his friends in low places are great -- remember how I always complain that most books are 100 pages too long?? Not this one -- it was actually just right. And it's nice that the author gets the fact ...more
Marie
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Today I received my ADVANCE READING COPY of "THE GOOD COP" by Brad Parks, which I won through the Goodreads giveaway of new books which need reviews.

I am so excited to be a winner of a book which is on its way to be published and have the wonderful opportunity to review the book for other readers

Look in Goodreads in the near future for my review! And check out Goodreads for your chance to win book to review!

My Review:
I am thrilled to have won "The Good Cop: A Mystery" by Brad Parks. I don't
Jenna
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a previous book by this writer which I thought was pretty good so I decided to try his series.
Also, I haven’t read many series in which the “amateur detective” is a reporter. That’s an interesting change. Brad Parks is also from the DMV area so I like to support when I can.

What I liked is that since I’ve started on #4, the writer summed up any background info I needed to know so I wasn’t lost.

Good story, good character. The mystery is slowly interesting as the narrative develops.
It dealt
Nicole
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great mystery! I loved the humor that was infused throughout the story. The main character, Carter Ross, has a charming affability that makes the reader want to go along for the ridd.
Jody
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the Carter Ross mysteries! The people are real, the NJ references are spot on, the humor leavened with a touch of snark adds some fun (and reality) to both the characters and the story, and I especially enjoy reading what it's like (or was like) being a journalist for a large newspaper. The author clearly speaks from experience and it's very interesting. I thought the culmination of this particular story, despite how scary it was, turned out a little too pat, but the writing is overall so ...more
Kevintipple
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The death of a police officer is always a tragedy. The fact that it is being described as a suicide and then wouldn’t be covered in any depth by the Newark Eagle- Examiner is something that reporter Carter Ross does not know when he goes off to interview the widow. Noemi Kipps is a formidable woman who thought that the happy family would soon be going to Disney World. Instead, she has to plan the funeral of her husband and somehow raise their 7 year old daughter and 5 month old son alone.

Police
Liz Elfring
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for the free book! A very good read, loved the story line and the characters are easy to like, or dislike as the case may be. Consistent with facts, and flow, the story takes the reader to an inside glimpse of the newspaper world, deadlines and writing angst. The story also shows the world of illegal gun buying and selling, and Mr. Parks does a smash up job of teasing the reader with just enough information to leave you wanting more, until the next chapter, where you get the "more", ...more
Lynn Pribus
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it
A perfectly serviceable mystery book. Not a great reader -- he sounded a bit callow, although I thought the reporter who is telling the story was a bit more of a tough guy -- but OK. Story was set in Newark, NJ, where Our Hero (whatever his name was -- I think I knew it while I was reading, not a Nameless thing like Pronzini's series) works for the Eagle-Something newspaper.

Not memorable (as you might have gathered), but OK to pass the time.

Ah yes: Carter Ross is the name. (Checked other
Liz Pollinger
Sep 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Carter Ross is a reporter for a newspaper in Newark, NJ. When a seemingly "good cop" commits suicide Carter begins an investigation into what really happened. As you would expected he stumbles across a huge cover up involving good & bad cops as well as drug dealers.

This is the first time I have read anything by this author and will probably be the last. I found the writing to be inconsistent and the story line boring. The characters were not believable at all. The mix of humor in a mystery
Julie
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery, audio
I heard about this book from a mystery newsletter that I get, as it is a finalist for a humorous mystery award. I didn't realize it was the 4th in a series, but I had no trouble catching up with the cast of characters. The humorous tone reminded me of David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series. I listened to the audio version and thought the narrator was good. I enjoyed this book and will read more in the series.
Jenny Everett
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: firstreads
I just got this book through the giveaway yesterday and I read the whole thing in one sitting! I loved the first 3 in this series, and when this one was listed in the giveaway, I hoped I would win to be able to read it! I absolutely loved the plot of this one, and the humor Brad throws into it is awesome :) Definitely would recommend to anyone who likes this genre of books
Priscilla
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brad-parks
This was Parks best work yet. I don't know where to begin with my praise. He kept me guessing till the very end who the "bad guys" were. I never wanted to put the book down. And, while you're reading something suspensful, Parks has this way of throwing in colorful characters and witty dialog. I couldn't resist reading parts aloud to my husband.
DeeNeez
My favorite reporter is at it again. This time it's all about gun running. Tina is out to nail Carter finally, and my favorite intern Tommy makes an appearance. So sad he had such a small part, the guy is a hoot. But the star of this story is a new character, Uncle Bernie!
Dean Walters
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
A solid read......Carter Ross is an intriguing character and I look forward to reading more.......I would have rated Good Cop higher but I felt like the ending came a little too quickly.......
Diane Vallere
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fun from the first page. If Brad Parks wanted to write "A week in the life of Carter Ross when nothing particularly exciting happens," I would read it.
Dale
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Review of the Audiobook

Published in 2013 by Dreamscape Media, LLC.
Read by Adam Verner
Duration: 9 hours, 18 minutes
Unabridged

Carter Ross is an excellent reporter in the newsroom of a slowly dying newspaper in Newark, New Jersey. When he hears of the death of a police officer, he immediately rushes to the family and convinces them to talk to him about the officer and the kind of life he lived. Ross is certain that he has the makings of a top-notch human interest story - the kind of story that he
Teena in Toronto
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Carter Ross is a reporter for a newspaper in New Jersey. He gets an early morning call one day that a cop has been killed so he dashes off to interview the widow. Then he finds out that the death was determined to be a suicide so he has to back off. But something doesn't seem right to Carter. Why would a man who had everything going for him kill himself? So Carter continues to investigate.

I liked this book, though I found it ended quickly and neatly. I enjoyed the writing style ... it was funny
Victoria
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reporter Carter Ross is based in Newark, New Jersey, quietly rebelling against the commodification of the news for internet and social media tastes. This is the fourth book featuring Ross and his wicked sense of humor. He needs it, because his work takes him to some pretty dark places. Ross is looking into the suicide death of Newark policeman Darius Kipps and before long decides the death wasn’t a suicide at all. Clues are hard to come by, though, and he can recognize stonewalling when he ...more
Jake
It would be a solid 4 stars, but near the end, I thought the main character reached correct conclusions a little too quickly--his leaps of logic were surprising to me, and he ignored some possibilities that were more likely. Also, I found one of the characters unbelievable. I felt the way this person was drawn did not fit with how they would have to be in order to be in the position they were in. I also felt a couple of things were not resolved that should have been.
However, I really
Ellen Moore
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This book in the Carter Ross mystery series deals with the death (suicide or murder?) of a police officer. Later in the book other deaths occur, and Ross himself is a target as he works to uncover the truth. This book was engrossing almost to the end when it seemed the author got in a hurry to wrap everything up. He summarized what happened rather than describing it in detail as it was happening, which I found disappointing. Still it was a good book overall. I enjoy this series and am amazed at ...more
Ann
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ever since last month my Mystery Book Club chose a Brad Parks book with Carter Reed, investigative reporter, as the protagonist, I was hooked. This is the 4th one I've read! Carter Reed is investigating the death of a cop which leads him into the middle of huge scandal. The author also uses New Jersey, south of New York as a character. I may be visiting there soon! I rate this a 3.5 because of some of the extraneous info.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Fade to Black (Doug Brock #2)
  • A Small Town: A Novel of Crime
  • Forty Thieves
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • The Last Kind Word (Mac McKenzie, #10)
  • The Informant (Butcher's Boy, #3)
  • Tear It Down (Peter Ash, #4)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
  • Gideon's Rescue (Gideon and Sirius #4)
  • If She Ran (Kate Wise Mystery #3)
  • The Perfect Alibi (Robin Lockwood #2)
  • Laetitia Rodd and the Case of the Wandering Scholar (A Laetitia Rodd Mystery #2)
  • Blood Evidence (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #5)
  • The Promise (Elvis Cole, #16; Joe Pike, #5; Scott James & Maggie, #2)
  • Bark of Night (Andy Carpenter #19)
  • Fatal Fixer-Upper (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #1)
  • My Life in a Cat House: True Tales of Love, Laughter, and Living with Five Felines
  • And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer: A Novella By Fredrik Backman (Trivia-On-Books)
International bestseller author Brad Parks is the only writer to have won the Shamus, Nero, and Lefty Awards, three of American crime fiction's most prestigious prizes. His books have earned starred reviews from every major pre-publication journal.

A father of two and a husband of one, Brad lives in Virginia, where he spends four hours a day at his local Hardee's, writing his novels. When not at

Carter Ross Mystery (6 books)
  • Faces of the Gone (Carter Ross Mystery #1)
  • Eyes of the Innocent (Carter Ross Mystery #2)
  • The Girl Next Door (Carter Ross, #3)
  • The Player (Carter Ross, #5)
  • The Fraud (Carter Ross, #6)