Start by marking “The Burrowers Beneath” as Want to Read:
The Burrowers Beneath

The Burrowers Beneath (Titus Crow #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  477 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The Titus Crow novels are adventure horror, full of acts of nobility and heroism, featuring travel to exotic locations and alternate planes of existence as Titus Crow and his faithful companion and record-keeper fight the gathering forces of darkness wherever they arise. The menaces are the infamous and deadly Elder Gods of the work of H.P. Lovecraft. Chthulu and his dark ...more
Published January 15th 1999 by Tor Books (first published February 19th 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Burrowers Beneath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burrowers Beneath

Oscar
Titus Crow, famoso ocultista, junto a su amigo Henri de Marigny, deberán hacer frente a un peligro que amenaza a la Tierra. Un gran mal proveniente de África está haciendo acto de presencia en Gran Bretaña en forma de temblores de tierra. La investigación de Crow le llevará hasta una raza de seres subterráneos relacionados con las Deidades del Ciclo de Cthulhu.

‘Los que acechan en el abismo’ (The Burrowers Beneath, 1974), del británico Brian Lumley, es un estupendo pastiche lovecraftiano, escrito
Still
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovecraft die-hards; August Derleth lapdog heathen fans
Recommended to Still by: I collect the occasional Lovecraft related trifle
Review to Follow

Basically I enjoyed this despite its reading like gifted fan-fiction.
If you're a Lovecraft fan you'll want to read this.
If you're an August Derleth fan (horrors!) this is right up your cavity.

More later. I hope.
K.T. Katzmann
At first I was like . . .
 photo 149.gif_zpsqnfumpgp.gif
. . . But then I was like . . .
 photo 1296_zpsfvv2l4z8.gif

I had always wanted to read this novel since I was a Cthulhu-obsessed kid. After all, this was the book with the Cthonians in it! The very creatures who got me into Lovecraft!

I was a young D & D player, scouring Dragon Magazines in my local library, when I ran across ads for RAFM's Cthulhu miniatures line.

photo Cthulhu_Minis_zps2kc3nwam.png

Behold! An array of bizarre creatures, only described (in the original ad) by two words each. I was hooked, and the Cthonian was t
George
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Cthulhu Mythos writer outside of H.P.L. himself
David
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A bit of an old-fashioned gentleman's club tale. An excellent Lovecraftian mythos novel. Honestly, better than Lovecraft.
C.T. Phipps
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cthulhu
Brian Lumley's Titus Crow is a series I owe an immense debt to. While Call of Cathulhu was the first Mythos-related fiction I was ever exposed to at the tender age of seven, it was Titus Crow I picked up in my college town's library which created my love of Lovecraft's mythology. Thanks to Brian Lumley, I picked up the original works by H.P. Lovecraft and devoured them. He's also the guy I owe my desire to write my own Cthulhu Mythos fiction to.

In short, this will be, by no means, an unbiased
Chris Lester
I love the idea of a Cthulhu Mythos where the humans fight back. Lumley wrote this in the mid-seventies, and it shows its age in some ways, but it is quite entertaining. Necessarily he had to change the mythos somewhat in order to make his story work, chiefly by introducing a moral axis into the cast of Ancient Ones; this allows for the existence of weapons that are effective against the minions of Cthulhu and his allies, created by beings as powerful as they but less inimical to human life. Thi ...more
Seth Skorkowsky
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Very fun addition to Lovecraft's mythos. I'd highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys Lovecraft's world or the Call of Cthulhu RPG.
However, this is a spectacular example of the "Show don't Tell" rule to writing. Much was lost with quick summaries of action with massive info-dumps.
Also, it leave with an open ending, almost a cliffhanger. Series openers with cliffhangers automatically lose a star with me.
Allen Garvin
Feb 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Somewhat fun Lovecraftian pastiche, starting out fairly standard, but then the characters decide to fight the elder gods with nuclear weapons and psychic attacks and stuff. A bit too much of the too-blasphemous-to-conceive-without-going-mad. And none of the mystery of Lovecraft. Everything about the elder gods seems explained in exhaustive detail. But, still, a fun 2-day read.
Joshua Shioshita
I enjoyed the setup and appreciated the writing style, but in the end I've never been a fan of the August Derleth view of the Cthulhu Mythos. Placing morality and a concept of good vs evil on top of the terror just sort of dilutes it for me.
Eric
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although Lumley writes in more up to date prose, he references and incorporates more of Lovecraft's mythology in one story than any other author in the same genre.
Jamie
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A book that, more than any other, demonstrates what can go wrong when you tell rather than show.
Michael
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lovecraftiness

I've just got round to reading this, Lumley’s first novel, but also a bit of a fix-up from previously published stories; “Cement Surroundings” and “The Night Sea-Maid Went Down” were short [good] early Cthulhu Mythos stories. In THE BURROWERS BENEATH, Lumley has linked the stories together and extended their scope, though the novel is largely an expansion of “Cement Surroundings”, concerning the exploits of Shudde-M’ell, a huge octopoid burrowing creature, a Great Old One, and his similar childr
Graham
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a massive fan of Lovecraft and a massive fan of Brian Lumley’s Lovecraftian short stories, it was inevitable that I would get around to reading this, the first novel in the long-running Titus Crow series. Also inevitably, I found I absolutely loved it. It takes Lovecraft’s world and his nameless horrors and it transfers them to a pulpy adventure novel with none of the original author’s long-windedness or sometimes purple prose. Lumley’s style is completely different and yet he holds true t ...more
PsypherPunk
May 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
One of the often-encountered criticisms of August Derleth relates to his attempts to codify Lovecraft's Mythos. After reading this, it's pretty clear that this tradition is alive and well.

For the early part it's an entertaining enough read but I rapidly lost interest in the latter half. Once we're introduced to the Wilmarth Foundation and the beasties are all categorised, documented and even granted their own acronym, my attention waned. I can respect Lumley's desire to write characters who "fi
Dollie
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I have never read H.P. Lovecraft's Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, but I have it and will read it when I finish all of Lumley's books about Titus Crow and his experience in the grandfather clock time machine. These stories are different from anything else I've read by Lumley. I do like the Titus Crow character, but it's a very bizarre world he lives in. I will continue to finish these books. There are two or three more.
Michael Parrish
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for fans of Lovecraft. Continues on with the Mythos, bringing it more up-to-date and expounding on what Miskatonic and the world as a whole is doing to deal with the Cthulhu Cycle Deities. I liked Lumley's 'voice' for the characters, and the presentation style of the tale. Looking forward to the next.
Perry Lake
Read this many years ago. It ties in with all of Lumley's other Lovecraftian pastiches and is interesting by itself. But it's also a little slow and not as good as his later works like "In the Moons of Borea".
Jorge Jaramillo Villarruel
Brian Lumley no entiende de qué se trata el horror lovecraftiano: no es sobre calamares y tentáculos, sobre magos y zombis, ocultistas y libreros (el horror lovecraftiano es otra cosa).

Esta novela no sólo está plagada de esos clichés y malentendidos de quien sólo ha leído superficialmente a Lovecraft, está además escrita con una prosa terrible, que sólo puede gustarle a un adolescente que no ha leído más de cero libros en su vida. ¡Qué bueno que me robé el libro de la biblioteca! Me hubiera sent
Dru
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jorg
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
A nice even though slight Lovecraftian pastiche cum swashbuckling story, with main characters battling CCDs (Cthulhu Cycle Deities) blockbuster-movie style. Fun and imaginative for an afternoon's read, but cosmic horror it ain't. Still, three are several books in this series (and more in related seried), and at 1-2 days each, you could find worse things to do with your time.
Lobogris
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Literatura pulp que se lee del tirón, muy divertido en sus momentos más ridículos. Una mezcla entre el JdR La llamada de Cthulhu y Dr. Who/Sherlock Holmes. El tratamiento que hace el autor de los mitos me pareció bastante simplista; las "sesudas" explicaciones del conflicto entre las fuerzas primigenias del bien y el mal, hilarantes.
Toni
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always been a Lovecraft fan and I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. It's as close to being written by Lovecraft himself as you can get. There's not much action but plenty of dialogue and exposition, and I think that word I always associate with Lovecraft..."eldritch"...is also used a few times. There may be a bit more overt description of the creatures and their acts, since Lovecraft, like Poe, depends a great deal on atmosphere, sensation, and mental suggestion than outright action and confro ...more
Bertrand
Voilà une curiosité littéraire s'inscrivant dans la mythologie de Cthulhu. En effet, La Fureur de Cthulhu est un mélange plutôt sympathique entre l'oeuvre de Lovecraft, Le Monde Perdu de Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (le passage sur le Crétacé) et Doctor Who/HG Wells (la pendule en guise de machine à remonter le temps et l'espace fait invariablement penser au Tardis de ce bon vieux docteur). Voilà pour le côté sympathique.
Malheureusement, La Fureur de Cthulhu pêche par générosité et on se retrouve avec
Kathy L. Brown
This is a book from the 1960's in the Lovecraftian tradition. I started reading it at the beach in November, which is a pretty darn evocative place to contemplate ancient, subterranean evil.
In reading Lovecraft, I often feel like I missed the first installment; what specifically is he talking about? Something too horrible and scary to contemplate, but how do we talk about it then? Burrowers isn't a particularly good novel, but lots of straightforward exposition about the Cthulhu mythos did help
Jaime San miguel
Es muy lenta al principio sin embargo es de los mejores finales que he leído sin duda te deja con ganas de mucho más,lamentablemente las otras obras de Titus Crow no fueron editadas en español lo que es una verdadera pena.Lumley nos presenta un lado más positivo de los mitos de Cthulhu, él llega a tal nivel que cree que la humanidad puede hacer frente a algunos de estos peligros cósmicos.
Maxim Chernykh
Well, 3 stars just barely...

No-nonsense prose, uninspiring story altogether, not much of Lovecraftian vibe. There’s a lot of books with nothing especially bad about them, but nothing especially good also. “Borrowers…” is one of those.
Edgar
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If interested in a classic-flavored Cthulhu story taken to a novel's length, this is the closest it gets. Very unorthodox at times, but it offers some gratifying close-ups. None of them in the end, strangely enough. And yet...
Aaron Meyer
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Good stuff! Kept me on the edge waiting to see what would happen next. I think he did a good job keeping it lovecraftesque in essence. Worth recommending to those who love Lovecraft's works.
Tom
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awww... my first lovecraftiana book :)

(and a beginning of a beautiful although sanity destroying friendship)
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • The Innsmouth Cycle: The Taint of the Deep Ones
  • Beowulf and the Critics (Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, Vol. 248)
  • New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • The Evil Genius
  • The Book of Q
  • The Damned Highway
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • The Book of Iod: Ten Tales of the Mythos
  • The Horror in the Museum & Other Revisions
  • Breakheart Hill
  • Beyond the Blonde
  • The Midden
  • Silver (Ogmios Team Adventure #1)
  • Daughter of God
20602
Brian Lumley was born near Newcastle. In 22 years as a Military Policeman he served in many of the Cold War hotspots, including Berlin, as well as Cyprus in partition days. He reached the rank of Sergeant-Major before retiring to Devon to write full-time, and his work was first published in 1970. The vampire series, 'Necroscope', has been translated into ten languages and sold over a million copie ...more
More about Brian Lumley...

Titus Crow (8 books)