Start by marking “Deadly Valentine” as Want to Read:
Deadly Valentine

Deadly Valentine

(Valentine Mystery #1)

Tess Madison walked away from her two-timing fiancé, a multi-million dollar trust fund and a cushy corporate law job to pursue the single life indulging in chocolate and fancy French underwear. But her newly reordered life comes unraveled when she reluctantly accepts an invitation to a dinner party and stumbles upon the host’s dead body. Now Tess is the middle of a murder ...more
Published August 5th 2012 by Moxie Vie (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Valentine

Start your review of Deadly Valentine
Charity
I really enjoyed this book. I don't read a lot of murder mystery and I don't know why because this one had me hooked from the very beginning.

The murder mystery itself was entertaining, like a game of clue, except we know the where. I kept going back and forth between many of the characters. The author did a very good job of making just about everyone have a motive and look suspicious.

The mystery surrounding Jack had me very intrigued and kept me on the edge of my seat about what Asa's
Dianne
Sometimes you just need a book to completely ENTERTAIN you! Deadly Valentine by Jenna Harte did that for me with its murder, mystery, suspense and romantic tension! Jenna Harte put her own stamp on this book with her clean writing style that raises and lowers the tension smoothly and with a great sense of timing and awareness, alternating some humorous moments with chilling moments, heated moments, and moments of pain and awkwardness, and oh yes, romantic moments! I like that as much as I like ...more
Tanya Agler
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books
As a fan of contemporary romances and cozy mysteries, I was delighted to read a book that combined two of my favorite genres. (Note: for those who read cozy mysteries where there might be a romantic entanglement or a couple, please note this is also a romance that is not closed door-there are sex scenes). Heat level (on my personal scale which is 1-kissing, sweet; 2-closed door, 3-sex scenes, 4-steamy and frequent, 5-erotic or erotica): 3.

Tess Madison is a lawyer who is close friends with Daniel
Betty
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit
Tickled Pink for Book Ink
It’s the case of, “Whodunnit?”

Tess Madison thought she left her old life behind. She was content to devote herself to her law practice and a man wasn't necessary, until the dinner party at the Worthington mansion and the return of Jack Valentine. Tess was humiliated by Jack three years ago and she wants to crawl under a rock when she sees him again. Jack shouldn't be at the dinner party. Her old life wasn't supposed to meet her new life, but it does and the dinner party full of dysfunctional
Cynthia
I met this author at a book signing this spring. I have to admit after chatting with her a few minutes and looking over her books the valentine series caught my eye with interesting titles and covers I was hooked and wanted to know more. I bought the series and decided this weekend I would read the first one. I did not know what to expect since I had not read any of her work. At first I found the book a little confusing thinking that Jack was her ex fiancé which is not the case and is gone into ...more
Leslie
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, mysteries, love
2 stars. Some of the plot was predictabe, even obvious, but the solution did surprise me. I could have done with less details about the sex between Tess and Jack but it was clearly indicated in the blurb so it wasn't a surprise. ...more
Sadie Mazzola
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good Read!

A woman who has turned off her heart meets an old love. There is a murder. The police think her friend did it. She is his attorney, trying to find evidence. Murder, mystery, danger..
Julie Ramsey
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
TITLE - DEADLY VALENTINE
AUTHOR - JENNA HARTE
STARS - 5
REVIEWER - WENDE SHEETS

Tess Morgan was a lawyer from Washington. She moved to Jefferson Town, Virginia 3 years ago. She cut off the DC world, and stayed in her won protective bubble. Tess was trying to recover from heartbreak and betrayal. She had no trinkets or memento's from her DC life. What she wanted was to forget and never remember. At least that is the goal till Jack Valentine, an old friend shows up at a dinner party.

On a cold February
Bames
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book through my blog Bames Live in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

The story revolves around a female lawyer named Tess Madison. She has turned her back on her old life and has just begun enjoying her new one when a man from her old life shows up at a dinner party.

Jack Valentine used to be someone Tess used to know and would rather not ever see again. However, he is also a guest at Asa's dinner party where he runs into Tess.

Asa Worthington is a very rich
The Suburban Eclectic
I <3 Valentine's Day and I am a sap for any Valentine related book, hence why I got this one. I thought it would be a nice break from my current tour of alpha billionaire led romance. I love a thriller and paired with a Valentine theme, I was hoping for some hot action (in and out of the bedroom), however the action was lukewarm at best. I didn't feel any chemistry between Tess and Jack. I felt like I never got to know Tess. Tess is supposedly an uptight lawyer who left her privileged ...more
Kerry
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love mysteries, and this one certainly did not disappoint. Jack is invited to a party by the secretive Asa who says he has a business proposition but won't give any details. At the party, Jack sees Tess again for the first time in 3 years. Tess is upset at seeing Jack again, but the reader doesn't learn the details about their history until later in the story. When Asa is killed, Jack is the prime suspect and Tess eventually agrees to be his lawyer.

I was hooked from the very first page and
Kelly Cain
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I must confess that I didn't know what a cozy was before I picked up this title. Now I realize that I've read many cozies and really do like the genre. This book fits perfectly and I'm looking forward to reading the remainder of the series.

There's a story to Tess. She leaves her affluent parents and fiance behind to move to a small town and set up a fledgling law practice. We have hints as to why and certainly the reason for leaving the boyfriend behind eventually becomes clear, but there's
Stacey
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
A who dunnit that takes you to the very end. Is it the ex-wife, the butler, the greedy daughter-in-law, the stranger - who killed the ruthless Asa Worthington?

Tess Madison is invited to a family dinner by her friend, police detective, Daniel, nephew of Asa Worthington. When he is called away Tess is left to fend with the family when the one man from her past she wanted to avoid shows up, Jack Valentine.

After swearing off men, Tess now has two men vying for her attention. Daniel, the lifelong
Alyssa
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it

This book was beautifully written. I could hardly put it down! Loved Harte's style of writing!

I loved the mystery in this book. Some books have that problem where the plot and the mystery surrounding it are just too out of left field to be believable, but not this one. I loved every minute of reading this. It was great to keep guessing in my head what was going to happen in the end.

The development of Tess's character throughout the book was also great. I
Shan ~ A ~
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book as you can see by my rating. This is the first book that I have read by Jenna Harte and it had me hooked from the very beginning.

For the first time in a while I didn't guess who the killer was until later in the book. I kept going back and forth between many of the characters. The author did a very good job of making just about everyone look guilty until you don't what to think.

I love the romance between Jack and Tess, mainly because Jack is a man who is not afraid to
Beth
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. I was distracted because I felt thrown into the middle of the story. Immediately the heroine needs help, but from someone she must have had a past with. So few clues were given it was hard to follow. I could not understand what was going with either Jack or with Daniel. Things got better in the second half when things were more clear. However, an editor is definitely needed to clean up all the "you're"s that should been "your"s, the reverse, and other ...more
Mary Lou Webb
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute story, easy read

Enjoyed the mystery, and, even though I'm not a fan of romantic fiction, enjoyed the interplay between the characters. Good for a rainy day read because it's a quick enough read to be read in one sitting. I would consider other mysteries by this author, which is a good endorsement from me, as I like to try new authors. When I'm willing to come back for seconds, the author has done something to impress me.
Doris
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh, come on....everyone loves a good mystery romp! And this one IS! Oh, and speaking of romps...there are some pretty warm scenes that do, also!

I love the characters, most of all Tess and her feistiness (and her love of lingerie! Everyone loves chocolate, but $200 panties?!? YEAH!). KEEP 'EM COMING, Jenna Harte! Polished this one off in three sittings, letting all else in the house go!
Susan
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Jenna pens "Deadly Valentine" a real page turner filled with mystery and romance. Her characters are well developed and believable in a plot that is interesting and intriguing. I totally enjoyed reading this book and highly recommend it to all mystery romance fans.

This review is based on a complimentary copy which was provided for an honest review.
Beth Lechman
Jack Valentine is suspected of murder. Tess and old friend is at the party when the murder took place and she takes on Jack as a client. She has to fight her feelings for her client as well as the Worthington's an influential family as well as relation to the deceased. Fast paced as well as funny in spots.
Linda Buzard-Moffitt
This story is a good start to what I think will be a great series. This was the 1st book that I have read of Jenna Hartes. It kept my attention the whole time with mystery on top of mystery and was humorous also. I can't wait to read on in this series and will make sure I have nothing else to do at the time. Since this was a book I didn't want to put down, I'm guessing the rest will follow.
chelepissbcglobal.net
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS.

This is a beautifully written and easy to read book that captures your interest and keeps you hooked up to and including the fantastic ending. Put this on your must read list.
Lizz
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
This one started out fast, then bogged down a little, then sped back up. I did have a couple of moments where I really just wanted to kick Jack in the butt! Looks as if this is part of a .... wait for it.... SERIES!!! You know how addicted I am to series!
Kelly
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this. More thoughts here....

Victoria Lovell
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good mystery! Two main characters had major trust issues! The whole while you are wanting them to just be honest with each other! (would have helped some issues) All in all it was a really good book!
Linda
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, humor, thriller
I loved this book! A great new author to put on my 'must read' list. A great who done it, romance and a light and easy read. I have purchased the next two in the series.
Barbara D'elia
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Deadly Valentine: A Valentine Mystery Book One

Loved this book. It had romance and mystery in it. And the book just made me love Tess and Jack! Can't wait to read more about them
Margaret
Jan 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Meh
Marcia-Lee Finocchio
This is such a wonderful series!!!

• Last Call (Janet Black Mystery, #1)
  • Moonshine & Murder (Moonshine Hollow #1)
  • The Woman in the Car Trunk
  • All Eyes on Me (Miranda and Parker Mystery #1)
  • If She Knew (Kate Wise Mystery #1)
  • Poison in Paddington (Cassie Coburn Mystery #1)
  • Finding Sarah (Pine Hills Police #1)
  • Blake Pierce: Mystery Bundle: Before He Kills, Cause to Kill, Once Gone and A Trace of Death
  • Next Door (Chloe Fine Mystery #1)
  • In The Fog
  • His Hand In the Storm (Chief Inspector Gray James #1)
  • A Good Man Gone (Mercy Watts Mysteries, #1)
  • Silent Crime (Hangman #1)
  • Love in the Time of Surfing (Cassidy Kincaid Book 1)
  • Bad To The Bones (Evan Buckley #1)
  • Grave Maker
  • Losing Your Head (The Charlie Davies Mysteries, #1)
  • A Dead End (Saints & Strangers, #1)
I've always had a romantic streak. Even as a kid, my favorite characters on TV were almost always happily married and as a twelve year old, I'd write stories about them (this was before fan fiction or the Internet were invented).

I love to read romantic suspense or mystery, but am disappointed that romances don't follow up on the happily ever after and mysteries rarely provide the sexy, romantic

Valentine Mystery (6 books)
  • Old Flames Never Die (Valentine Mystery #2)
  • With This Ring I Thee Kill (Valentine Mystery #3)
  • 'Til Death Do Us Part (Valentine Mystery #4)
  • To Love, Honor, and Kill (Valentine Mystery #5)
  • Truly, Madly, Deadly (Valentine Mystery #6)
“It was as if her heart was in a vise, squeezing tighter and tighter until she couldn't breathe. The worst part was she was the one who had tightened the screws.” 1 likes
“She didn't get up. She knew she would forgive him, after all, he had chocolate. But that didn't mean she couldn't make him work for it.” 1 likes