Start by marking “Bone Hunter” as Want to Read:
Bone Hunter

Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery #5)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  416 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Time and again, Emily-- Em-- Hansen uses her geological training and her unflinching scientist's eye to sniff out a killer. Now in her newest case, Em heads to Utah for a paleontology conference and ends up embroiled in murder when her host, a notorious dinosaur expert, ends up dead, stabbed with a dinosaur bone. The high-stakes world of dinosaur study and research, couple ...more
Published September 15th 2000 by Minotaur Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Bone Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Hunter

Rogue Reader
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-us-utah
Bone Hunter is Sarah Andrews' fifth Em Hansen mystery, and my first. Em Hansen is a wonderful character: as a scientist, she's bright and rational; as a person, she's empathetic and emotional. Raised on a Wyoming ranch and now working as a Colorado oil geologist, the protag has lots of experience and opportunities to get caught up in mystery and mayhem.

This book grew out of the 1997 meeting of the Geological Society of America, held that year in Salt Lake City and (after a dead body), Bone Hunte
Kristi
I really like and feel more connected to Em with each book in this series. She is snarky and witty and I frequently am amused by her observations. There were several descriptions in this book that made me chuckle, but were equally effective at drawing an image. I am certainly looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
Nancy H
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good mystery involving Salt Lake City, geologists and paleontologists, Mormons, and of course, murder. There are also some good musings on religion and life philosophy in it as well. It is an engrossing read.
Pammy
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mystery featuring dinosaur fossil thieves, creationism, Mormons, and murder.... What's there not to like?!
And, strangely, I found a marvelously insightful paragraph, instructing a technique for relaxation and stress release.... based on contemplation of our insignificance within the universe!
Jack
Oct 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting murder mystery. Try finding another book with characters ranging from devout Mormons of Utah to vertebrate paleontologists!!
Lindsay Luke
Enjoyable Em Hansen forensic geologist mystery. Em is invited to give a presentation at a convention in Salt Lake City by a famous paleontologist. He turns up dead and she is a suspect. In the course of finding the real killer, we get to learn about dinosaurs, paleontologists, and Mormons. Let's just say there is dysfunction and a lack of social skills in the scientific dinosaur bone hunting community.
Alton Motobu
This is part romance (between Em Hansen and the handsome police officer assigned to protect her), part religion (long passages with characters espousing Mormonism, creationism, and polygamy), part paleontology and the fossil trading black market, and a little bit of murder mystery. There was not enough about the murder, and too much of everything else. The ending was unclear as the presumed murderer was not clearly identified and his fate was dealt "off screen." Not for fans who like complex plo ...more
Kirsten
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than the last Em Hansen book I read! A nice, intriguing mystery with the expected geological tour of a new setting. Sure, Sarah Andrews gets preachy, but she has great things to say. Her characters may be a little smarter than you'd want to give them credit for, but those intelligent conversations are pretty damned beautiful. Are there blah points? Of course. Em's hormones point her in some pretty stupid directions (but when it comes to that, I'm also a guilty party, so...), and ther ...more
Rita Gorra
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun, refreshing book. I love to learn things from an author as background information. It is pretty obvious Sarah Andrews knows quite a little bit about the topic. I found Ray romantic and mysterious. I saw some reviews that saw him as boring, but he seemed to be more quiet and intelligent than most romantic interests. Not everything needs to be shouted. This is the first I've read of the series and hope to read them all!
Eva
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vždycky jsem dumala nad tím, proč je tolik detektivek s "archeologickým pozadím" a o geologii čtenář nezavadí. Sarah Andrews je autorka, kterou jsem chtěla potkat půl života. Zajímavý příběh, doplněný o geologické zajímavosti (i geologická mapa by se hodila), dinosauři, kšeftování s fosiliemi a bezohledné ničení lokalit, univerzitní sbírky nacpané v suterénech, účastníci konference, demonstrace kreacionistů a navíc mormoni - prostě paráda.
Gerry
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very spotty writing -- good in some parts, pathetic in others. The whole novel hangs together poorly, but had moments of excellence. The main character is Em, a geologist who dabbles in forensics as well. She’s been lured to Utah under false pretenses, and becomes embroiled in a murder investigation, which she has tremendous motivation to solve, since SHE’s the main suspect.
Sandybear76
Set in Utah. first book I have read by this author. Emily Hansen is attending a paleontology conference in Salt Lake City to present a speech about forensic paleontology and staying at a paleontologist's house. Unfortunately, she is trying to break into his house to get her car keys to go to the conference when the police show up and questions Emily about the paleontologist's death.
R.
May 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books written by authors that have "lived the life" they highlight in their fiction. Sarah Andrews is a geologist and her knowledge of her science and related sciences give more body to this mystery. My favorite is still Nevada Barr, but I will look for more of Andrews.
Crissie
Great travel book, especially when the flight across the Rockies turned out rather bumpy - took my mind off the size of the small plane flying me from Montrose to Denver as the book took me through Utah (culture, religion, land). Thanks, Wendell!
Carrie
Feb 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonlawmystery
It was interesting having a geologist investigating a murder in a Mormon community.
Sally
bought this at a library sale, have not quite finished it yet
Karenrice Rice
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's my kind of mystery, offbeat, sneaks up on you and keeps you turning pages when you really want to go to sleep!
Ayelet
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story - the plot also moved faster than most of her books.
Pat
Em Hansen
Ti'Ata
Feb 27, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bad language
Sunni
Mar 16, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Notice that I'm getting all the mysteries out of my system while I'm on hiatus from bookgroup? This one was incredibly mediocre.
Hilary
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad read, I could pick up and put down, but interesting enough to keep going.
Laurel
Aug 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun archaeological mystery with a Mormon twist.
J
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, so good. Needs editing, but fun. Actually, it got better as it went on and became an interesting treatise on creationism.
Julie
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HAve read all the Em Hansen series - I find them very informative and interesting.
Jess
The book started off really good with some funny parts. However the romance was overplayed.
Catsalive
Feb 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
What is this? Slapstick comedy? I could barely give it the 50 page test.
Eunira
5th in the series
Kimberlyn
features forensic geologist Em Hansen; a very interesting series
  • Grandmother Spider (Charlie Moon, #6)
  • Old Scores (The Chris Norgren Mysteries, #3)
  • Death, Guns, and Sticky Buns (Tori Miracle, #3)
  • Click Here For Murder (Turing Hopper, #2)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
Sarah Andrews is a geologist who writes mystery novels about a geologist.

She currently lives in northern California and invests her free time on community pursuits and flying, skiing, and sailing with her husband and son.

More about Sarah Andrews...

Em Hansen Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1)
  • A Fall in Denver (Em Hansen Mystery, #2)
  • Mother Nature (Em Hansen Mystery, #3)
  • Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery, #4)
  • An Eye for Gold (Em Hansen Mystery, #6)
  • Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7)
  • Killer Dust (Em Hansen Mystery, #8)
  • Earth Colors (Em Hansen Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Dry (Em Hansen Mystery, #10)
  • Rock Bottom

“I forced myself to let my belly relax into a deeper breath. I closed my eyes and felt the solidity of the pavement beneath my feet and the rock beneath that, felt the density of the earth hugging me to it, felt it spinning on its axis, felt it hurtling through space in its trip around the sun, felt th solar system whirling through space as part of our galaxy, felt the flight of galaxies escaping from the site of that primal explosion we call the big bang. Always in times of stress, if I contemplated the vastness of the universe, I did in some measure relax, comforted by the knowledge that I was but a small speck in creation after all, a mote in the enormity of God's eye, a fleeting arrangement of atoms that would in due time cycle back into the earth from which I had come and be reshuffled into something else, blended back into the grace of the natural world. In my very insignificance did I find my immortality. pp 113-114” 4 likes