Start by marking “Dracula: A Babylit(r) Counting Primer” as Want to Read:
Dracula: A Babylit(r) Counting Primer

Dracula: A Babylit(r) Counting Primer (BabyLit Primers)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  1,920 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Meet 2 friends, Mina and Lucy, and the 5 heroes who try to save them from the dreaded Count Dracula in Dracula: A BabyLit® Counting Primer. Make sure you're wearing a necklace of 10 garlic flowers as you count wolves, ships, tombstones, and boxes full of soil in this witty retelling of Little Master Stoker's classic gothic tale.
Board Book, 22 pages
Published August 1st 2012 by Gibbs Smith

To ask other readers questions about Dracula, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dracula

Heino Colyn
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Heino by: Sebastian
Shelves: liam
This book broke our baby. He vibrates every time we pick it up and screeches on every page turn. 5 Drool covered stars.
Jocelin
Can I just say that I liked this book better than the original (Just Kidding, Not Really). The main elements of the original book are in here and it is really fun to read. These books are so wonderful at capturing the elements of classic works of literature. I love this series.
Ashlee Draper Galyean
One of her better ones. Plus I like all things Halloween-y. Unless it's actually scary. Like, I've never actually finished the real Dracula because I'm too scared.
Jeimy
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious! I think I will use it to teach my students about mood.
Philip G
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The premise of introducing the youngest readers to classic literature via board books is great, but this one seems to try to stay baby-friendly a bit too much. I can understand why there’s no scary illustrations of vampires, but why are we calling coffins ‘boxes’ when we don’t mind referring to tombstones as ‘tombstones’? This one isn’t as stellar as many in the series, thus 4/5.
Natalie
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-books
So obsessed with these literary board books that are basically for adults. lol. Perfect for Halloween!!
alana
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the colors and how creepy/morbid this is... but still not sure I want my toddler counting tombstones and coffins? maybe? undecided! but it's pretty.
Amanda
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I adored these illustrations!
Julia
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
What can I say about a book like this? First of all it is an interesting concept to make baby books based upon well-known literature but unless you are an adult and one who has read the actual story it is going to go over the heads of most little ones while the concept of the story. And even if they aren't it will be a long time before they are ready to pick up one of the Classics, maybe longer to just be able to finish reading it.

Otherwise the writing and illustrations are really simplistic i
Erika
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, 2012
When I saw there’d be a baby board book for Dracula I was very surprised and very intrigued! This doesn’t seem at all like the kind of story you’d want illustrated for a baby and toddler. What if it was too violent? But it is based off a classic and us book lovers might want to share a little enthusiasm with our little ones!

I haven’t read the original Dracula yet, so I can’t comment on how well the adaptation works. However, the book is very mysterious and makes we want to learn more about the s
Elizabeth
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful reimagining of the classic for babies and toddlers. This lovely counting primer is beautifully illustrated and a delight to read.
Elaine
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't say this is very "baby-friendly", but it's still adorable and funny in a way. Maybe save for a Halloween read.
Felicite
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2017
This book was super cute but I wish it ended with a group photo of all the things that were counted.
Amy Lafleur
Another title in the Babylit series that creates board books inspired by classics. In this book, babies and toddlers can learn to count with parts of Dracula's plot and characters. It's likely more for parents than child but it's an entertaining way to teach child numbers. I found the illustration of "boxes" which are really coffins to be amusing in a dark humor way. This book is perfect for the parent who loves classics and with a slightly dark sense of humor.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Super cute!
I originally set out to find some board books for my future niece, but ended up finding this…and needless to say it’s now on my own shelf. Oops. Dracula is one of my favorite classics, and the book that really kicked off my love of gothic novels…so of course I bought a board book devoted to counting.

Dracula is a counting book, which points to the person who knows their vampire lore, and it takes prominent things from the books and places them in gorgeous pictures devoted to teaching
Alicia Evans
I read this book around the same time as _Alice in Wonderland: A BabyLit Colors Primer_ and I loved it. The book is fun and still educational without being too overwhelming for your learners. I could see there being criticisms on how the book might be too scary for young readers, but it's really quite cartoony with some darker colors. I could also see how fans of Stoker's book would be unhappy because it's not exactly the original story, but I don't think that needs to be worried about either. M ...more
Drew Graham
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Dracula is out for blood! And he's also out to help little classics fans learn to count.

It didn't occur to me until this very second that this isn't the first time a vampire count has taught toddlers their 1-2-3s... Anyway, I won't deny that I've been waiting to read/review this one until Halloween time, and I found it to be another fun entry in the series (and, I think, the last one I had left!). It had little touches from the story and lots of characters, and, as expected, plenty of dark, spoo
Jessie Quinn (cupofbooks)
Feb 01, 2013 added it
Recommends it for: parents who love classic literature, parents who enjoy dark humor, toddlers
Shelves: picture-books
When I saw this at the store, I couldn't resist buying it for my niece, who is two and learning to count. The only number she can say so far is "two," so she repeats "two" while pointing at things to mimic counting. After she finishes, she laughs "HA HA HA" like The Count on Sesame Street. Admittedly, I might be partially to blame for that.

But I digress. Her parents are well-read, so I figured they'd get a kick out of this board book. There's some cute pictures for the kids and some morbid humor
jacky
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: board-books
Far better than the other counting primers in the series. I found the choices for the items and the artwork more interesting. The biblophile in me wants to love these books, but I just can't. I dislike that they are really for adults, and do not focus on what babies and toddlers would like to read. There is something to be said for making a book that will make parents excited to read to their children, but that is a non-issue with literature lovers. This particular one is a counting book, and th ...more
Ann
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Another bizarre entry into the BabyLit collection designed to introduce the Pre-K audience to English Lit classics. A counting book, the number five introduces us to Heroes, including Arthur Holmwood and Dr. Van Helsing, while the number ten stands for Garlic Flowers. Most interesting is 9 Boxes--which are actually coffins. I can think of a Goth friend who is a college professor who would love this board book, but the baby-friendly appeal is not obvious to me.
Elizabeth
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have seen various Goodreads giveaways for Jennifer Adams' Babylit books and was excited to finally win one. Dracula arrived with perfect timing, the day before Halloween. Even though my son is a little to old for counting board books, he still liked it, I mean it is Dracula after all. I will be passing this on to a friend of mine after his son is born and I won't hesitate to buy other BabyLit books in the future as gifts or for any future children of my own.
Jean
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I never thought I'd be reading Dracula to my 4-month-old, but there you have it! BabyLit Dracula, by Little Master Stoker, is a counting primer. We encounter 1 castle perched atop a tall mountain and surrounded by 3 hoooowling wolves, 8 adorable rats ready to journey to London, 9 "boxes" (read: coffins), and 10 garlic flowers, among other delights. Pop a vampire pacifier in your baby's mouth and check it out!
Stacy
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Who new Dracula could be so cute?

In this counting primer we see simple illustrations that reflect the original dark and mysterious classic, from white wolves to Dracula’s castle. Never fear, Mina and Lucy are included as well as Dr. Van Helsing and the rest. Toddlers will have fun counting the “heroes,” “friends,” and “rats.”

The details are spot on, and makes this a great addition to any library.
David
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a creepy tale of gothic horror. The art style really shines and the counting element does not detract from the thematic elements. While not necessarily providing the most accurate retelling of the plot, younger readers may be delightfully scared by the terrible ever increasing numbers of spooky things.
Ann Santori
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I mean, BabyLit forever, man. These books are the perfect kind of tongue-in-cheek references that will elicit a wry chuckle from parents (well, well-read parents at least) yet aren't too obscure for children to enjoy on their own level. And no, this one is not too scary for kids at all -- despite its source material. :)
Lindsay
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrenslit
This board book is just too cute to handle. It is my favorite of the Babylit books by Jennifer Adams. The first page starts with "1 Haunted House," then continues with adorable illustrations until you get to "10 Boxes." The boxes look like coffins, which gives you the option of explaining this to your toddler, or not. I simply squealed with delight over this book.
Jessica
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A counting book based on DRACULA? Yep, and it's a real winner around here! My toddler LOVES the book, I think because of the purple/black/white color scheme, which is totally different from his other books. And I love reading it to him, because it's counting the things and characters from DRACULA! 1 castle. 2 friends: Mina and Lucy.

Awesome.
Jen
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, own, for-the-bebe
Definitely cheeky, this is a fun counting book to use with little little ones. I don't know if I'll read it aloud to kids/baby when they're able to understand the vocabulary (coffins are called boxes) but it's fun now at the infant stage. My sample audience of one stared at each page when I read it to her.
Alice
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
This series is silly! (Funny silly or ridiculous silly... you be the judge) They take classic and put it at a baby level. So Dracula becomes a counting book 1) Castle etc so it is really nothing to do with the actual story...but I guess if you want to expose your 3 month old to Dracula ... Here you go...just don't expect this to be confused with real literature!
Elvira
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I love this counting book! It had great illustrations that a high on contrast in black, white, and red for young eyes and plenty of references to the story. My little one of six months loves to be read this book.
  • Cozy Classics: Pride and Prejudice
  • The Insomniacs
  • Little You
  • Star Trek Book of Opposites
  • I Need My Monster
  • How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Cats?
  • Curious George Goes Fishing
  • Hippopposites
  • Gideon and Otto
  • Duck & Goose, Goose Needs a Hug
  • My Very First Book of Animal Homes
  • You Are My Sunshine
  • Charley Harper ABCs: Chunky Edition

Jennifer Adams is the author of more than forty books. Her bestselling BabyLit board books (published by Gibbs Smith) introduce small children to the world of classic literature and have sold 1.5 million copies. Her new series of board books My Little Cities (published by Chronicle Books) includes London and New
More about Jennifer Adams...

BabyLit Primers (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Alice in Wonderland: A BabyLit® Colors Primer