Start by marking “A Christmas Carol: A Babylit(r) Colors Primer” as Want to Read:
A Christmas Carol: A Babylit(r) Colors Primer

A Christmas Carol: A Babylit(r) Colors Primer

(BabyLit Primers)

Take a walk with the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Yet to Come in Little Master Dickens' A Christmas Carol: A BabyLit(R) Colors Primer. See old Jacob Marley shaking silver chains, gold stars shining around the Ghost of Christmas Past, and a red scarf keeping Tiny Tim warm. This bright retelling of a Christmas classic will scare any "bah, humbug" feelings away.

JENN
Board Book, 20 pages
Published August 1st 2012 by Gibbs Smith

To ask other readers questions about A Christmas Carol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Christmas Carol

Karen
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love these Baby Lit Books! This one is so cute with awesome artwork and colors. Also, each page has a "hidden" mouse and it was fun for my daughter to find each one.
Renee
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I'm a 20 something with no kids but I think that this BabyLit book is absolutely adorable and I'm probably going to have to buy the rest of the series. A book that allows you to introduce classic literature to infants in a fun way like this is a must-have for anyone who has children. Did I mention it's also a colors primer? Yep, your kids can learn their colors with this book too. The illustrations are bright and cute and the book looks to be sturdy enough to hold up to whatever kids can throw a ...more
Kwoomac
This one is a colors primer. Not sure if a child would be able to pick out/learn colors from the washed out art work.
DaddyReads2Daughter
I love the concept of the Babylit books. However, I'm always underwhelmed. I have this hope that the books will present a children's version of the classic book they represent. However, that is not the case. Rather, they teach something using characters and scenes from the classic novel without actual telling the story. This book teaches colors using characters from A Christmas Carol (the Ghost of Christmas Present's cloak is GREEN!). These books are really more for the parents than for the kids ...more
Jillian
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute book in the series that introduces all of the main characters as well as teaches colors. The objects are shown solo on one page, and as part of a larger illustration on the facing page... but I don't quite love that they don't stand out very well. It almost reads as a seek-and-find because without the note, it would just be a picture - you wouldn't know what was supposed to be the "color" item.
Miss Clark
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
This was one of the least interesting of the series. It wasn't a very good colour primer as there is only one object that matches the colour in a page - so it is more like search and find and thus not really useful for teaching colours.

Jeanie
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Learning colors with the classics. My daughter got this one for her little one. It is a great start for little ones for the love of books
Danielle
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday
LOVE the illustrations
NK92
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Garbage art. Otherwise fun book, but more for adults than babies.
Erika
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2012
As Christmas is fast approaching, I am starting to see this book everywhere. Then I think...I want that book! And realise I already have it. I think that says a lot about a book when you already have a copy of it in your hands and still feel that sense of “Must Buy” in your gut.

This book is so...darling. That’s the only way I can describe it. Even though it has little ghosties and silver chains on some pages, the ones with the little happy dancing people and Christmas trees just make me all fuzz
Paul
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: I received a FirstReads copy for free through Goodreads from the publisher.

This was an interesting concept. This is a book to teach colors to toddlers, but instead of choosing obvious items (like an orange to describe the color orange, for example), the idea here is to teach colors using items in a well-known story (Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" in this case), keeping the adult entertained while teaching the concept to the child. This made the book entertaining for the pe
Maura
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is based off the story A Christmas Carol. It has very little words in the story. The pictures help tell the story. This book is meant to expose children to book they can read when they get older. In this book, the pictures may not make since if you have never read the book or seen the movie, but it is just a way to expose children to the story A Christmas Carol. I love the pictures in this book. They are well designed. It looks like they were not colored but made out of different types ...more
Drew Graham
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Christmastime is a colorful time of year, even (and especially!) for Ebenezer Scrooge.

This colors primer is one of my favorite BabyLit books yet. It gets SO much of the Dickens classic across in just a few pages, and with just the right choices of colors and characters. The art is fun and whimsical, but somehow consistent with the sometimes warm and sometimes somber tone of the original. It was also fun to have an element that carries across every page to point them out each time. God bless us,
Alice
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
This series is silly! (Funny silly or ridiculous silly... you be the judge) They take classic and put it at a baby level. So A Christmas Carol becomes a book about color Black Hat Gold Star etc so it is really has nothing to do with the actual story...but I guess if you want to expose your 3 month old to the story... Here you go...just don't expect them to use this book for their High School Book Report
Jessica Scott-Moore
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really wonderful series of books! Great way to introduce the classics to your little ones. I bought a set for my daughter and then two more for my sister in laws kids. They all love them and feel very grown up reading the same books as mom and dad lol I haven't the heart to tell them not quite but oh well every little girl should know who mr. Darcy is!
Jennifer Hughes
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love these BabyLit books, and this one is no exception! No, it's not really a retelling of the story, but it's an introduction to classics to those who think books are best for eating. (Yes, it is a cardboard book.) Colors and shapes are presented here, along with it being a primer of characters from the famous Dickens novel. Delightful!
David
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I may be overly harsh in my review so I apologize in advance. The art is lovely and I would have rated the book higher if it was just about the pictures. The words, however, I find fault with. The entirety of the plot has been removed and the powerful tale of the redemption of Scrooge has been lost. It's like the whole book is happy fun times and there's no room for misery, poverty or cruelty.
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: board
I like this new set of "BabyLit" board books... which include such classics as Pride and Prejudice, Romeo and Juliet, Alice in Wonderland, and A Christmas Carol. These books don't really tell a story... they're more concept books (123s, colors, etc.)that include favorite characters or ideas from the literature. They're fun for baby showers for book-loving parents.
Paul
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Year One Point Five Plus: Sure, these literary lines are bound to be a little familiar: "Bah, humbug!" "God bless us, every one!" But, according to our little one, these are a real hoot: "owl!" "who? who? who?"
Karen
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I love these series of books, but this one wasn't my favorite. I love the original & I like what they did with it, but for a color primer I think it could have been a bit clearer on some pages. Fun though.
Ben
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: baby-books
We had the whole series. Overall, great books. Alice in Wonderland was the best. We hung on to only this one, for the annual contribution it can continue to make to the Christmas spirit. It's that time of year again.
Kimberly
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
The kids really enjoyed this book. They know the story associated with this book though, so they are familiar with the characters in this book. They are 4 and 5 and still enjoy the simple board books that teach color.
April
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute as the rest of them...while she rolled through the words on the pages pretty easily, the benefit is to get to discuss the bigger story! Instilling the love of reading the classics...I love these BabyLit books!
Beth
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bree and I really enjoyed this one. I love the BabyLit series!
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A Christmas Carol: A BabyLit Colors Primer lacks in wording. I thought more explanation should be given to mirror A Christmas Carol. The illustrations are excellent, though.
Jocelin
All I can say is just keep these little gems coming. Love it, love it, love it!
Miri
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Barely recognizable as A Christmas Carol, since it is a book about colors for babies—but it is such a fun, fun idea. I love it.
C.G.
Cute - and way better than a book about "red apple, yellow banana, green grapes". This is a child's book I would encourage reading and buying.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mpl, christmas, board-book
Adams shares a holiday book to introduce classic literature to babies! Colors and objects are highlighted by Christmas Carol characters.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Haylee
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
CUUUTTEE introduction to classic books that could potentially become favorites for little readers as they grow

• Alphablock
  • Moo
  • S Is for Santa: A Christmas Alphabet
  • Merry Christmas, Stinky Face
  • A Picnic with Monet

Jennifer Adams is the author of more than forty books. Her bestselling BabyLit board books (published by Gibbs Smith) introduce small children to the world of classic literature and have sold 1.5 million copies. Her new series of board books My Little Cities (published by Chronicle Books) includes London and New

BabyLit Primers (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Dracula: A Babylit(r) Counting Primer