Start by marking “Revenge of the Vinyl Cafe (Vinyl Cafe, #7)” as Want to Read:
Revenge of the Vinyl Cafe (Vinyl Cafe, #7)

Revenge of the Vinyl Cafe (Vinyl Cafe #7)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  505 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
The world can be a perilous place. And the seemingly friendly world of Canada’s favourite fictional family is no different. Everyone is afraid of something: Dave, for example, is afraid of dolls, germs and Mary Turlington. Sam, on the other hand, is afraid of bees, UFOs, and “mewpilated” cows. Morley’s fears—public nudity and drop-in visits—are slightly less peculiar. It’s ...more
Published September 25th 2012 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Revenge of the Vinyl Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revenge of the Vinyl Cafe

Ben Babcock
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didn’t go to the Vinyl Cafe Christmas Concert this year, because I was feeling burnt out and wasn’t interested in going out that weekend. It turned out to be the last concert of the year, because Stuart McLean announced a melanoma diagnosis and cancelled the other shows. He seems positive and upbeat so far. I thought I’d dig into this, one of the more recent Vinyl Cafe collections of Dave and Morley stories, and share some thoughts on why McLean is a celebrated Canadian author.

I love the Vinyl
Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)
I loved this book! I adore these stories about Dave and Morley and the family. They feel like a real family now that I've read two collections and I can't wait to read more of them. I think my favourite stories in this book includes the one about the dolls (since I hated dolls growing up and felt very much like Dave!) and the treadmill. This was funny but not quite as funny as the Christmas collection. I think it was to be a Halloween collection since some of the stories are a little spooky. I'd ...more
Kathryn
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fun read.
Gail
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stuart McLean portrays Dave, Morley, their children and friends with such charm and familiarity that reading one of his Vinyl Cafe books is like slipping on a favourite pair of slippers. This latest addition to the collection was as delightful as ever, inducing many chortles of laughter and the odd nostalgic sigh.
John Ealey
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love his stories - I always start off reading his books thinking they are going to be too simplistic and he just ropes me in every time. Charming and old school and i treasure the idea of passing down stories through the ages. A Canadian gem!
Joanne
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Vinyl Cafe series of books are based on small vignettes that Stuart McLean did when he was with the CBC. Even though this particular title is #7 in the series you definitely don't have to read them in order. This particular title deals with growing up in Eastern Canada and are reminiscences of childhood.

What makes these stories so appealing is that you can believe that things really happened. We all have those quirky memories and McLean has brought to life those moments in life when things
Angela Kelman
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm so late to the Stuart McLean party that it makes me a bit ashamed, as a Canadian. But better late than never. How fitting, and slightly eerie, that my introduction should be through this book, which ends with "Le Morte D'Arthur" ...

"We do this thing. We open our hearts to the world around us. And the more we do that, the more we allow ourselves to love, the more we are bound to find ourselves one day standing in the kitchen of our life, surrounded by the ones we love, and feeling empty, and
Kalen
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
There were quite a few stories in this arrangement of Vinyl Cafe from Dave's childhood. I enjoyed those stories the most out of this collection. I listened to the radio program on a somewhat regular basis but I don't remember hearing many stories from Dave's youth so it was nice to read this because I felt like I was experiencing them for the first time.

I still hear Stuart McLean's voice in my head as I read them and I can almost hear the parts where the audience would laugh at Dave's antics. F
Tracey
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I could hear his voice as I read this book. In fact, I had heard a couple of the stories on CBC Radio a couple of years ago. There was one that I was cringing as I read, predicting an incredibly embarrassing climax and conclusion... only to be in tears at the finish. MCLean is able to pack so much meaning into his folksy stories, but it generally comes down to - just treat people kindly. They remember and so will you. May he R.I.P.
Monica Penthor
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Another wonderful Stuart McLean book - I just love the way this man writes. As Dave says in the story "Le Morte D'Arthur" - "You have to tell stories over and over. It is the creation of myth. The only road to immortality."
Vanore
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Better with Stuart's voice, but still good. RIP Stuart McLean - we have lost a treasure.
Dustman
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very nice read. wonderful change of pace.
Harold
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
For this type of story-telling, no one can touch Stuart McLean.
Jason Grant
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved every story
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads Summer Reading Challenge, June: Father Knows Best (Read a book that features a father).
Stuart McLean has me giggling out loud one moment and biting back tears the next
Tony
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian-fiction
I discovered Stuart McLean and The Vinyl Cafe about ten years ago at the Vancouver Public Library. I checked out a collection of his CDs and spent a weekend alternately laughing and crying to stories about Dave, his wife Morley, and their assortment of friends and neighbours. While I’m not a devout fan of the CBC radio show, I certainly have an appreciation for Stuart McLean’s work and turn to it whenever I need to feel good about the world again, particularly Canada, which I haven’t felt so gre ...more
Marthe Bijman
This volume contains: Hello, Monster – Annie’s Turn – Macaulay’s Mountain – Tour de Dave – The House Next Door – Summer of Stars – Rhoda’s Revenge – Fish Head – Rosemary Honey – The Haunted House of Cupcakes – Midnight in the Garden of Envy – The Black Beast of Margaree – Curse of the Crayfish – Whatever happened to Johnny Flowers? – Attach of the Treadmill – Gabriel Dubois – Code Yellow – Le Mort d’Arthur

In this collection, McLean’ themes continue to mature. He and Morley, his wife, age. Their
Adam Dunn
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
A good set of stories in the Dave and Morley cannon, but not the best in the series.

Part of the appeal is always picking up the new book and stepping into life with your old friends and catching up with these quintessential Canadian tales and that was here for me.

The stories however didn't seem to come together as much as earlier volumes I have read. Part of it may be the mood I'm in over the last day while I read the book, but part of it is definitely the writing. When an author starts talking
Steven
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I took an English course at university where the professor told us he had given up writing because of a collection of short stories by some author who's name I can not remember. He thought he could never write anything as good, so why try. I thought he was crazy for two reasons. First, he made us read the stories, and they were horrid. A blind brain adled monkey with a gimped writing hand could do better. Second. I felt then, and still do, that excellent writing should inspire you to write if an ...more
Ryan
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canlit, short-stories
Revenge of the Vinyl Cafe is one of those books that holds no real 'surprises' in it - if you're familiar at all with Stuart McLean's writing, either read on CBC Radio or in the previous VC books, you know what you're going to get: A series of poignant and sometimes hilarious stories about Dave, a record store owner, his wife Morley, and their two kids.

The lack of surprise doesn't detract at all from McLean's gift as a storyteller. He's capable of taking these tiny moments that seem completely i
Thebruce1314
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Besides the characters and their generally humourous situations, I love the fact that I can pick up the Vinyl Cafe books, read one story, and then return later when I feel like reading another one. That's exactly what I did with this book...except that the "later" ended up being a few months. For the most part I really enjoyed this book. There are a few stories that really stand out: Code Yellow comes to mind, as does Midnight in the Garden of Envy. Some of the stories felt a little bit pieced t ...more
Agnes
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it
My suspicion is that these stories are even better listened to than read, but even in written form they are very entertaining. Does it seem plausible that a regular family in small town Canada would experience all these events? Um. But as the foreword says "life would be pretty tedious if all we did was stick to the facts".

My favourites in this collection are: The House Next Door, where Morley is asked to feed the fish of a neighbour's posh house and her escapism there is a natural consequence.
Chantale
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What are you afraid of? Dave and Moreley's Toronto family have confronted all types of fears which are shared in these Vinyl cafe short stories about germs, dolls, UFOs, sewer monsters, reptiles, a mummified fish head, an ice flow breakup, a cycling and treadmill adventure, the fear of a parent's or librarian's reprimand and more.

There is a good mix of scares, thrills, and laughs which range from the normal to the absurd and speculative. The first two or three stories made me wonder if this was
James Barber
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have been a huge fan of the Vinyl Cafe for as long as I can remember, so after hearing Stewart talk about this book on the show I knew that I had to get it. The hard cover edition is simply a work of art and is worth the price solely for the aesthetic appeal.

If you have been keeping up with the show you will probably find that this isn't the first time you have heard some of these stories. While I loved each and every story, I wish that it would have contained a couple more stories that hadn'
Andrew
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, short-story
Stuart Mclean has embedded himself in my mind as Canada's great modern storyteller. I will always remember listening to his one hour Vinyl Cafe radio program on CBC, driving somewhere or another with my Dad. This book has all of the heart and humour that Stuart is gifted with, and his stories fill me with deep happiness and nostalgia. Each story will draw you in, and will surely pull at your heartstrings after every sentence. Stuart Mclean is a gifted and powerfully talented artist and this book ...more
Randy
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian-author, 2013
With his usual humour, Stuart McLean takes us into the lives of Dave, Morley, Stephanie and Sam. These iconic characters are so real, you feel, as you read, that you know these people, and the stories you are reading are memories of past conversations. The laughter, the sorrow, all the emotions feel real.

I picked this book up as it was a gift from Aidan for Christmas.

I finished it because I was moved from one story to the next with the promise of more laughter.

I recommend this book to my Dad. H
Ginney Etherton
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I just want a good read ... lightweight entertainment that I can keep on my nightstand, pick up once in a while and read another chapter or two just for fun. This is my first Stuart McLean, and I intend to find more. This one was recommended by my librarian. I'm pleased to know that he gets me.
Renee Hueston
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
It seems I'm on a trend for radio personality books, having just finished David Sedaris' latest.

Another great collection of Dave & Morley & Co. stories by McLean. This set is based on fun, adventure and the likes and is only slightly less satisfying to read as they are to hear read aloud.

Perfect bedtime reading.
Jim Zubricky
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is not a whole lot for me to say that hasn't been said already. Stuart is a fantastic writer and this collection of stories will not disappoint you.

The only drawback I had - and I'm noticing this as I read more and more of his stories - is that I've heard them on his podcast first, and it's like I get mad at myself for knowing how the story ends! Does anyone else feel like that?
Fitzy
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: keepers
Reliably good - another funny & touching Vinyl Cafe / Dave & Morley book. However, wasn't as funny or as touching as some of the others in this series.
I may rely on re-reading the old ones vs. buying any more new ones - e.g. an earlier book with the story about Stephanie tree-planting and 'Dave Cooks the Turkey' blows this out of the water.
  • We're All in This Together
  • A Nation Worth Ranting About
  • The Deception of Livvy Higgs
  • THIRDS Beyond the Books: Volume 1 (THIRDS)
  • Cornered: Hijinks, Highlights, Late Night and Insights
  • The Empty Room
  • Falling Backwards
  • Dropped Threads 2: More of What We Aren't Told
  • The Ravine
  • Warriors 3
  • Away from Everywhere
  • Do Cows Meow?
  • The Long Stretch (The Cape Breton Trilogy #1)
  • Sleeping Funny
  • The Invitation (The Marriage Diaries, #5)
  • The Beggar's Garden
  • Death Is Not the End (Inspector Rebus, #10.5)
  • The Meaning of Children
Librarian Note: There was more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

From the Vinyl Cafe web site: Stuart McLean was a best-selling author, award-winning journalist and humorist, and host of CBC Radio program The Vinyl Cafe.

Stuart began his broadcasting career making radio documentaries for CBC Radio's Sunday Morning. In 1979 he won an ACTRA award for Best Radio Documentary for
More about Stuart McLean

Vinyl Cafe (7 books)
  • Stories from the Vinyl Cafe (Vinyl Cafe, #1)
  • Home From The Vinyl Cafe: A Year Of Stories (Vinyl Cafe, #2)
  • Vinyl Cafe Unplugged (Vinyl Cafe, #3)
  • Vinyl Cafe Diaries (Vinyl Cafe, #4)
  • Secrets from the Vinyl Cafe (Vinyl Cafe, #5)
  • Extreme Vinyl Cafe (Vinyl Cafe, #6)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $6.99 $1.99
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)