Start by marking “Over in the Garden” as Want to Read:

Over in the Garden

Over in the garden, mother insects and their children enjoy various activities from morning sun to evening moon.
Hardcover
Published 2002 by Rising Moon

To ask other readers questions about Over in the Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over in the Garden

Chance Lee
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-it
The illustrations are pretty and charming. Who knew a snail could have so much personality? The rhymes have a solid, consistent rhythm, even if they don't seem all that creative. Also, the way each rhyme is structured "her little mantis one... her little beetles two... her little dragons three" confused me at first, but that might be my issue. I like how a number is hidden on each page. I couldn't find #10.
Terri Lynn
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, fiction
This is a gorgeous lush book full of wonderful illustrations to go along with a whimsical story of the animals and their babies in a beautiful garden. Many are cute bugs. The story is in rhyme and I found myself singing it out loud to the tune of "Over in the meadow". Kids will love this book.
Michelle
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very repetitive but beautiful art
Jordan Brown
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-etl-2368
Author: Jennifer Ward
Illustrator: Kenneth J. Spengler
Reading Level: ages 5-9

Ward, Jennifer (2002) Over in the Garden Arizona: Rising Moon Publishing

Over in the Garden is a children's book about the lives of various animals/insects and their offspring. I believe its primary function is to be a counting book, but it's also educational, as it teaches the child about what parent animals and insects might instruct their offspring to do.

It's essentially a simple poem about counting.
Kerri Harshaw
A cute counting book up to the number ten. The bold illustrations give great details of how bugs look. Each number addresses a different mother animal and her young and how they would move about in the garden. The repetative line "over in the garden" allows for many different writing activities for the young reader. See if your class can make a book about bugs they see in the garden! The end of the book includes 'fun facts' about each bug in the book, and there is also a simple song in the back ...more
Jen Zuvella
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Not only does this book have colorful illustrations that make the book come alive, but it was a very easy read. This book provides awesome awareness by rhyming. It also covers counting 1-10. Throughout the story on every page there are hints about what bug will be on the next page. This book creates a song, which could be very funny to read out loud because then children can hear the rhyming through the song. Also a song could help children remember the counting. It is a cute book, that young re ...more
Meg McGregor
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
One of my all-time favorite books for little ones to hear, read, and sing, over and over again.

There are lots of insects in the garden. You can find:

a mother praying mantis and her little mantis one,
a mother spider and her baby spiders six,
a mother roly-poly and her little babies eight, etc.

One added extra is that the numbers are hidden on each page and that is great fun for little ones who are always on the verge of discovery!
Mary
Great for storytime -- reinforces phonological awareness through rhymes (I had the kids tell me the rhyme) and song (the musical notation for the rhymes is appended, but many children's librarians already know the standard "Over in the..." song). On each page there's a small, hiding hint as to which bug will appear on the next page. Would be great for one-on-one sharing!
Miss Sarah
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was definitely one of my favorites as I could picture kids repeating more of the activities the animals are doing. Ten animals are featured and each mother child pairing perform some action that animal does. Featured animals are: Praying mantis, lady bug, dragonfly, snail, bee, spider, butterfly, caterpillar, roly-poly, ants, firefly.
Kristen Dota
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Over in the Garden is a fun filled poem that teaches young children how to count. Behind all the fabulous pictures in each page, lies a hidden number that the readers can take time in finding. This book not only teaches counting, but also gives fun facts about different kinds of bugs in the back of the book.
Leila T.
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't know what it is about this author/illustrator combination, but M does NOT like their books! I think they're fun and gorgeous, but M refuses to let me finish reading them to her. The rhyme scheme is repetitive and not like Dr. Seuss's, whose stories she does love, but I just don't get what's so offensive to her. This is the second book by them that she is not interested in "reading".
Greta
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
The story is set to a song, which is fun to sing while reading aloud. On each page, the reader can search for a hidden number, but also, each page somewhere has pictured the number of and insect which will be found on the next page. It's very cleverly done.
Lucero Hernandez
Over in the Garden is a great book that allows for students to continue to improve their phonemic awareness, through rhyming. This book reinforces student counting from 1-10. It also provides great detailed illustrations of bugs.
Melki
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a cute rhyming counting book.

The stunning paintings by Kenneth J Spengler are the real stars.
Laura McLoughlin
Nice counting book for any kid who loves bugs. The pages have big, bold illustrations and there is a hidden number on every page (I still haven't found the 10).
Tricia
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
great fullscale pictures of bugs in this concept book with counting intermingled with bugs. counts through 10.
Nicki
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ronna
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fantastic story about bugs with a rhythm and a number to find on every page.
Lachelle
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love books with great illustrations! This was beautifully done.
Kathy
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Jared loves all kinds of bugs. Hoping he'll like this one too.
Ecl  Storytellers
Potential sing-aloud book
Trin.Jen.Anna
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: toddlers
Shelves: anna
Illustration was amazing ! the rhyming fun book all about bugs!
Lorie
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-ya
This is one of my favorite "Over in the..." books. The pictures are rich and the rhymes are natural. A great hit at story time.
Phoenix
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another great and amazingly illustrated book by Jennifer Ward. My daughter really loved finding the numbers and the scary spider!
Karla Bergstrom