Start by marking “A Textbook Case (Lincoln Rhyme, #9.5)” as Want to Read:
A Textbook Case (Lincoln Rhyme, #9.5)

A Textbook Case

(Lincoln Rhyme #9.5)

From Jeffery Deaver--the New York Times bestselling author of the upcoming Lincoln Rhyme novel THE KILL ROOM (on sale June 4, 2013)--comes an original short story featuring Rhyme.

When a young woman is found brutally murdered in a parking garage, with a veritable mountain of potential evidence to sift through, it may be the most challenging case former NYPD detective Lincol
Published April 2nd 2013 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Textbook Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Textbook Case

Eric
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of detective stories
Me before reading this story: Ooh, a Kindle Single from the author that wrote the latest James Bond novel, Carte Blanche. I'm definitely going to check that out.

Me after reading the first chapter: Wait a second, this story has a paraplegic forensic analyst in it? Just like that Denzel Washington movie? That's a bit much to be coincidental. [Goes to Google] Hey, that movie was based on a book by this author, with the same character starring in it.

Me after two later, separate points the story: I'
Ramsey Hootman
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Much as I love Jeffrey Deaver... it turns out he doesn't know much about writing short stories. Not his fault, I'm sure; this is basically a promo-piece for his book coming out in June.

If you're a fan of Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series, you know that he uses the same "tags" in every book to establish all of his main characters. In every single book, we are informed within the first couple of chapters of the following things:

- Physical appearances/abilities/relationship statuses of Lincoln, Amelia,
Chris
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent short and just enough to satisfy me till the next chapter in the Lincoln Rhyme series comes out called The Kill Room. It has been almost two years since the last Lincoln Rhyme novel and with characters written this well I tend to miss them. Yes I know they are fictional, but Amelia and Lincoln are characters I have read for years and I love the small events in the lives of these characters as much as I do Deaver's signature twists and turns.

The book starts out with one of
Wendy
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Textbook Case

I have read a couple of Jeffery Deaver's novels but it has been quite a while and I plan on reading his Lincoln Rhyme novels again in the order the series was written but after reading this kindle short I can't wait to start! I could see this series turning into another one of my favorites. I loved the story and his writing.
Bookworm
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by this author. I really enjoyed this short story. The pace was just right without getting too bored.
Bonnie
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
A copy of A Textbook Case was provided to me by Grand Central Publishing/Netgalley for review purposes.

'It was clear that the classic textbook procedure for running a case forensically wasn't going to work.'

Lincoln Rhyme is renowned for his forensic knowledge but even he is tested when a recent murder is buried, literally, in evidence. The perpetrator has attempted to cover any evidence they personally left in the smartest way possible; by flooding the scene full of inci
Gary
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I am a big fan of Jeffery Deaver and the Lincoln Rhyme series in particular, but short stories never do it for me. The story is ok but like most short stories the plot doesn't get fully developed and there is little time to obtain twists and turns.

It does help if you have read others in the series as the main characters and their background will be already established in your mind.

I am looking forward to reading his new novel which I have just received 'The Kill Room' and I am sure it will be up
Michael
It's a nice little short story with Lincoln Rhyme..however the regular Lincoln Rhyme novels are better. I guess a Lincoln Rhyme case doesn't really suit for a short story...I can recommand this ebook for Lincoln Rhyme fans..everyone new to Lincoln Rhyme novels better grab one of the regular novels with this character.
Rakesh Poluri
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not bad, but could have been a bit lengthier. What disappoints most, is that Lincoln Rhyme does not use much forensics. The ending seems a bit of an anticlimax.
Agnieszka
I liked the short story very much, especially all the red herrings and the new character - Officer Marko.

More and more I'm struggling with the repetitive explanation of the characters, their backgrounds, police and forensic procedures or tools, already introduced in most if not all previous books. I understand it makes it easier for new readers, reading the books disregarding the series order - though for those like me reading the series in order it's becomming more and more annoying.

I wish ther
Michael
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jeffrey Deaver presents a crisp and concise short story that took me about an hour to read. He's able to quickly get you into the action in a believable scenario, and I appreciated the science introduction into forensic investigations. Prior to reading this story, I've never read a Lincoln Rhyme story or novel, but I'm going to go look for one now. If you're looking for a shorter mystery /thriller, at just 99 cents for the Kindle version you will certainly receive in excess of 99 cents in entert ...more
Beth
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
YESSSSSSSS, DEAVER!!!!! - 4.5*

This book is literally 50 pages of goodness and I only read it so I can read The Steel Kiss (#11) but this was actually awesome! I've felt low in my confidence of Deaver after the Kill Room (#10) but this restored my faith that he can write good stories.

This was nearly 100% perfect.
I missed this, Deaver. I have expectations.
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very short Lincoln Rhyme story, but it got most of the usual in. Just too short to really enjoy as it felt like it was over before I had a chance to get a clue on the suspect! This is a great referral book, though, for those people who you want to try the series. Gives them a taste of what the full-length novels are like.
Troy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent stand alone Lincoln Rhyme short. Deaver does a great job packing in some great detail in an abbreviated time and his efforts on the psychological aspects involved in this story are extraordinary! If you are a Deaver fan and have some knowledge of his reoccurring criminologist character Lincoln Rhyme, you will not be disappointed!
Bob Cantrell
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great quick read

This was a quick read but a great one. I like a good Lincoln Rhyme story and this one fits the bill. When a story can keep me guessing to the end about who the killer is then it is a great one even if I picked the wrong character for the killer. Rhyme and Sachs are great at their job and I can't wait for the next case.
Joan Ehrnstein
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dirty minute treat

Lincoln Rhyme has been a favorite for many years. This story story is perfect when you want a great read but haven't got a lot of time. The story is good and the end is totally unpredictable.
Joanne
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a Lincoln Rhyme short story. When a young woman is found brutally murdered in a parking garage, there is an abundance of evidence. After another woman is murdered, Lincoln realizes that someone is using his textbook on evidence as a guide to commit murder and muddy the evidence.
Sarah Veldkamp
Not nearly as good as most Deaver

Not bad, but really not as believable as most of his books. Usually I can buy the deductions that Lincoln makes as possible. This one...not so much. Worth reading if you like the series, but it’s meh.
JIM  Reynolds
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Best

Jeffrey Deaver and his Lincoln Rhyme character at their best . If you are a fan of this series of books this is a quick read with a surprise ending. Really enjoyed this story.
Vivien Tsang
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book & I think Cooper should have an assistant who is equally as smart as he & Rhyme is. There will be times when there will be too many evidence that he can handle since he is Rhyme's hands. Marko is a good candidate & proved himself well.
Tom Waters
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evidence

A nice read if you. are interested in evidence and how it is collected and used to arrest a suspect Tom Waters
Nancy Silk
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Awesome, Typical Scary Deaver Story"

This is a short story which will keep you guessing until the end. It's exciting and believable withgreat characters. Highly recommend all of his stories.
Larry
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Actually, a short story featuring the characters Amelia Sachs and Lincoln Rhyme. Nice story in the traditional style seen in the full length novels.
The Stumps
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital-books
It was very short, but still pretty good.
Mike
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good quick mystery

This is good and makes me want to read more books with the characters, which a short story should do.
The red herrings are a little obvious, but not too bad.
Barbara Fusi
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good short story

I enjoyed reading Deaver's short story..

It was fast and exciting.

I love his books. I will recommend to my 17 year old grandson.
Robbie
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a Lincoln Rhyme book in a while and, even though I don't normally read short stories, I jumped at this one. As usual, it was excellent. I rate it 4.8 stars.
Karon
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm not a fan of short stories and this confirmed it. I miss the detail and drama of a story building to the finale.
Red
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really good but not as thrilling as the Christmas short story -> only (but still) 4 stars - still a Deaver story^^.
Another great case solved by Rhyme and his team.^^
Good read!
Phillipa
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
A very quick easy read (1hr ish) for a very speedy Lincoln Rhyme novella.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Bloody River Blues (John Pellam, #2)
  • The Diary of Dakota Hammell
  • Firesong
  • Out the Window (A Matthew Scudder Story)
  • Breaker's Passion
  • The Price of Candy (Sandy Reid Mysteries, #2)
  • Summer Heat
  • Mirror, Mirror (Stargate Atlantis, #9)
  • Nightfall (Stargate Atlantis, #10)
  • Family Guy: Stewie's Guide To World Domination (Family Guy)
  • Death Game (Stargate Atlantis, #14)
  • Mr. Wong Rights a Wrong (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery, #3.5)
  • The Year of the Knife
  • BTW I Love You
  • Honor Kills (Angelina Bonaparte Mysteries, #3)
  • Book of Secrets
  • Age of Godpunk: Collecting Age of Anansi, Age of Satan and Age of Gaia
  • Deep
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.

Lincoln Rhyme (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2)
  • The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3)
  • The Stone Monkey (Lincoln Rhyme, #4)
  • The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5)
  • The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6)
  • The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme, #7)
  • The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)
  • The Burning Wire (Lincoln Rhyme, #9)
  • The Kill Room (Lincoln Rhyme, #10)