Start by marking “Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers: Advice to Dads of All Ages” as Want to Read:
Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers: Advice to Dads of All Ages

Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers: Advice to Dads of All Ages

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  93 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Clyde Edgerton has four kids ranging in age from 5 to 30 years old. After three decades of fatherhood, there are certain things he has learned during his tenure. His way of raising his children involves, of course, lots of humor (don't curse near a mimicking child), but also the sound advice of a lifelong educator (you can't start reading to a baby too early).

With PAPADAD
ebook
Published May 7th 2013 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers

Trish
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a moment in every parent’s life when they wish they had someone to talk to about their child’s behavior—and their own response to it. They may not take the advice, but it’s nice to know what other, experienced folk do that seems to work well. Clyde Edgerton has a comfortable way of raising those pesky issues of childrearing and making us laugh about how we solve (or do not solve) them. He makes a great deal of sense, and makes us more comfortable with our sometimes creative solutions. M ...more
Shelli
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book for my husband to read but found myself reading it first lol it was very interesting, very true and had some very funny moments!! Enjoyable!! I definitely recommend if you are a father of any age to buy this book!! I am so glad I won it!! Thank you*
Alice
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Biographical
Advice to fathers
FUNNY
Matt Simpson
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aside from offering some useful (though I have to admit, untested by me) parenting advice, this book is funny. How funny, you ask?

In the middle of the book, there is a section that highlights some of the funny things the author’s children have said or done. One of these anecdotes is so funny, I started laughing out loud on the train home. Which is really not that uncommon, right? I’ve seen it before.

Well, not this time. The upper floors of the train are “Quiet Zones”, meaning no loud conversati
"Jeff" Hall
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm female, retired, and have grown children. So why did I sign up for the "Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers" giveaway? Easy answer - the author is Clyde Edgerton. Edgerton's fiction is filled with humor, wit, and wisdom. He paints true pictures of Southern life and especially of small town characters. If you've not read any of his books, get started!

This new book consists of, as the subtitle suggests, "Advice to Dads of All Ages." Edgerton has four kids, ages 5 to 30, and he has this fatherhood
Sandi Widner
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1
5 out of 5 ***** review for "Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers" by Clyde Edgerton

With PAPADADDY'S BOOK FOR NEW FATHERS, a great storytell
Stella
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a "fast, cute read. Although expensive for what's in it - if I had to purchase it. Brings a few smiles to your face especially around "potty issues". Every mom & dad have had their child "poop in the tub" while attempting to bath them so.... the reminder does make you chuckle.{now} I will pass this book along to new parents as there are lots of things in the book that will either help prepare them or should I say "warn them" about.

I think this book would do really well if marketed in
Kathy L.
I think this book lacked direction. It alternated giving good advice with humerous antidotes and it tried to cover predelivery into teenage angst. I think it would have been better if it had just stuck to the humerous stories from predelivery into preteens. Some of the stories were very funny and some of the advice was spot on especially assembling the crib in the babies room. I won this in a goodreads giveaway. My children are grown but my son is soon to be a father so I intend to pass it onto ...more
Jenna
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
---Received this book through Goodreads First Reads---
GREAT Perspective on parenting! Husband and I read this out loud to one another frequently laughing and nodding "That totally happens" to several excerpts. Loved every minute of it and recommended it to our expectant parent friends! It's a beautiful condensed version of the important aspects to remember when raising children, not a how-to book. Excellent!
Doug Wells
Let me start by saying that Clyde Edgerton is one hell of a great writer, one of the funniest Southern writers out there today (read Raney). I bought this book because I'm a fan of his, not thinking that the book would actually be a how-to (albeit a funny one) book for fathers (why would I pay attention to the book's title?). Not a fan of how-to books, so I muddled through.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • How to Rock Your Baby: And Other Timeless Tips for Modern Moms
  • What to Expect When You're Expected: A Fetus's Guide to the First Three Trimesters
  • The Burden of Sympathy: How Families Cope with Mental Illness
  • Blanche Passes Go (Blanche White series Book 4)
  • The Anatomy of Bibliomania
  • Scarred by Struggle, Transformed by Hope
  • Graham Greene: A Life in Letters
  • The Big Shift: Navigating the New Stage Beyond Midlife
  • City of Promises
  • Kissing Fish
  • Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free
  • The Cushion in the Road: Meditation and Wandering as the Whole World Awakens to Being in Harm's Way
  • The Episcopal Handbook
  • Hidden Lives: Coming Out on Mental Illness
  • The Third Chapter: Passion, Risk, and Adventure in the 25 Years After 50
  • Invitations from God: Accepting God's Offer to Rest, Weep, Forgive, Wait, Remember and More
  • The Complete Plays
  • The Number: What Do You Need for the Rest of Your Life and What Will It Cost?
Clyde Edgerton is widely considered one of the premier novelists working in the Southern tradition today, often compared with such masters as Eudora Welty and Flannery O'Connor.

Although most of his books deal with adult concerns--marriage, aging, birth and death--Edgerton's work is most profoundly about family. In books such as Raney, Walking Across Egypt, The Floatplane Notebooks, and Killer Dill
More about Clyde Edgerton...
“fathering is the act of guiding a child to behave in ways that lead to the child’s becoming a secure child in full, thus increasing his or her chances of being happy and fruitful as a young adult.” 1 likes