Start by marking “Seeds of Hope: Wisdom and Wonder from the World of Plants” as Want to Read:
Seeds of Hope: Wisdom and Wonder from the World of Plants

Seeds of Hope: Wisdom and Wonder from the World of Plants

Renowned naturalist and bestselling author Jane Goodall examines the critical role that trees and plants play in our world.

In her wise and elegant new book, Jane Goodall blends her experience in nature with her enthusiasm for botany to give readers a deeper understanding of the world around us.

Long before her work with chimpanzees, Goodall's passion for the natural world
Published August 27th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing (first published April 2nd 2013)

Jessika
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having my degree in environmental science, when I saw this book up for grabs on NetGalley, I immediately requested it.

Overall, I'd say that I was pleased by Seeds of Hope. I learned a lot, and Jane Goodall's passion for the plant world and for nature itself shines through her words. This book will definitely appeal to certain types of people, but I would still recommend it for those who might be a little wary. Jane Goodall's writing is very reader friendly, and I think that the general public w
Cami Evans
Mar 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received an advanced reader copy through a GoodReads giveaway. I would not have finished the book if I did not feel it was my responsibility to give a free gift book a decent chance. I give it 2.5 stars and rounded up because I personally did not really like it or feel it was memorable but I know that it will appeal to a certain type of earth-loving person. This just isn't my thing but I respect her and what she has to say.

I will admit that I know very little about plants, shy away from most a
Jana
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, first-reads, 2-stars
Rather disappointing on the whole. The majority of the book consists of sketchy and fuzzy pseudo-scientific statements which are rarely, if ever, backed up by vague semi-scientific "evidence." On the other hand, her personal recollections of interactions with the natural world and its plants/creatures are charming.

Had Dr. Goodall written a book about her childhood growing up among trees, her adolescence and early adulthood exploring the vastly different (and yet fundamentally similar) biomes of
Whitney
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in the Goodreads First Reads Program.

This book is an excellent introduction to the importance of plants. Reading this book by Jane Goodall feels like you are sitting in a garden or a forest discussing plants with her. The importance of plants and their future is presented in a very personal way. It conveys the horrors that have been done to nature, and the hope that we can fix it.

I enjoyed reading this book. Not only was the information presented in an engaging way, it also pro
Karen
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I have a signed Jane Goodall book- be jealous! This book was amazing and really inspired me to make changes in my lifestyle. I never knew plants could be so interesting!
Girl
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
There are portions of this book that are truly inspiring and engrossing, but there are also portions of this book that read as naive -- sometimes painfully so. (The sections on "controversial" plants, especially, where Goodall emphasises repeatedly that "poor" plants are "innocent" but people are abusing them. Eh. )
Melissa
So, the only thing I ever really knew about Jane Goodall was that she was the lady who worked with chimpanzees. That's it. Turns out, she has done a lot more than that. And a lot of that had to do with plants.

From an early age, Goodall loved plants, and even had a special tree at her grandmother's house. While off fighting to save the chimpanzees she was studying the local vegetation as well. In this book there are some accounts of her own experience, but it is also a book of history and current
Sharon
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, non-fiction
I gave this book four stars because I thought Goodall did a very good job discussing practically every issue related to plants in a way that made them accessible to the lay person. It's an easy book to read. Also, it contains amazing, even beautiful, stories about individual plants and trees around the world and things that individuals and groups from various backgrounds have done or are doing to foster the healthy growth and continuing presence of vegetation on earth. Goodall is both a spiritua ...more
Dewayne Stark
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Read this book before looking at the reviews. Apparently the release of this book was held back awaiting corrections and plagiarism concerns. I was not on a fact checking mission when I started to read this but some outstanding dating issues started to appear as listed in the three examples shown within:

Page 75, "Three hundred and fifty years have gone by since he published the results of his long deliberations in 1753,"

1753 plus 350 makes the current year 2113

Page 182 "They collected, in 1878,
Sealove
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing… What a special glimpse into the world of plants, given by a woman who has lived and seen it all.

It was quite a joy to see this world through Jane's eyes. It brought back all the wonder that we already knew and loved about the plant kingdom and added new pieces to the puzzle that we are so happy to have found!

Mahalo Ms. Goodall!
Waffle
Expansive (unfocused?) exploration of the things Jane Goodall knows and learned about plants. I am inclined to agree with her position on most things, and found her anecdotes inspiring.
Christy
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it

Long before her work with chimpanzees, Goodall's passion for the natural world sprouted in the backyard of her childhood home in England, where she climbed her beech tree and made elderberry wine with her
Judy
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What can I say. It’s Jane Goodall talking about forests and seeds and GM development and seeds. I have learned much. I have reinforced some of what I was already aware of.
I have been genuinely terrified by the sections on the new Super Weeds.
I have been inspired.
I read this as an audio book. I think I will take the opportunity to revisit it via a paper book in the future.
I may not always agree completely with some of Ms Goodalls forays into moralising, but that’s okay.
Recommend to everyone.
Flesha
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you are concerned about our Earth and our lack of care for her, this book is for you. Goodall is a calm, quiet story teller with a voice worthy of listening to.
Jose Santos
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
É claro que fiquei bastante curioso ao saber que a conhecida antropóloga Jane Goodall tinha escrito um livro sobre plantas. Não é um livro sobre jardinagem nem sobre botânica, artes que a própria afirma que não domina. Então porquê um livro sobre plantas?
Este é um livro escrito pela naturalista Jane Goodall e a mesma admite que, desde sempre, sente um fascínio e uma grande admiração pelo mundo das plantas. O jardim da casa de família é uma memória constante e as plantas trazem-lhe recordações d
Kristin Poley
Jan 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't begin to describe how much I hated this book. I don't typically read Jane Goodall because I don't like a lot of her ideals but this book is about plants which I love so I thought I would give it a try. The first third of the book was very interesting and I actually enjoyed it. Then she got into the controversial topics and everything went downhill. Hardly anything she said was backed up by scientific fact and it read like an old lady remembering her glory years. It was so dramatic- every ...more
Dwreads
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Jane Goodall is an institution, an inspiration and has made an enormous contribution to the world and environment.
For people who are interested implants, the environment and social change I recommend reading this book. The caveat is
Goodall and her co-author are not great writers, much of the information is too simplistic for people who really know plants or botany
and while I love the topic, the book has been the best sleep aid I have found in years.
Leah Moore
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Eh, the first 3/4ths of the book was nothing new or spectacular. I was looking for some good scientific insights, but it was mostly her antidotes. She did have one neat point about chimps eating a certain plant, which was interesting. The last 1/4 she gives examples of what is happening across the globe to ensure that plants do not go extinct. This was more interesting, but not griping or all that motivating.
K
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirations
I loved how Goodall inspired science and a poetical reverence for nature. Her mention of forest networks and communication between plants, questions she raises about whether food can be grown ethically to feed the planet, and interesting history about how early plant explorers transported and suffered to bring plants into our awareness...misuses of plants and recreational drug use...A great read.
Rachel
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I never imagined someone could write so much about plants and so eloquently. You can truly hear her love for trees,seeds, roots, and shoots. Great but long. I loved how it incorporated many different aspects including how gmo crops have made such an impact on our lives.
Gillian Wong
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such an enjoyable read. But Goodall's easy and friendly voice in this book are a call to action to save our planet and the plants and creatures that are a part of it. I enjoyed the variety of subject matter and was impressed that it was presented in such a focused way.
E.J.
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Jane Goodall provides her wonderful, knowledgeable insights.
Deb Fett
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Easy to read style. Almost reads like a diary of her love affair with plants. Lots of valuable information.
Anna
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nem tudom, hányadán is állok ezzel a könyvvel. (Hm, mintha mostanában egyre több ilyen lenne...). Egyrészt sok dologban egyetértek az írónővel, és örültem, hogy leírta, főleg a növényekre kihegyezve most a hangsúlyt. Mert még én is hajlamos vagyok arra, hogy felületesen gondolkodjak róluk, pedig növénybiológusként illik tudnom, milyen fontosak is nekünk, de mivel nem olyan látványos sokszor az életük, mint az állatoké, nem figyelünk annyira rájuk. Leginkább semennyire, max csak akkor, ha kirohas ...more
Mars Smith
Amanda
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is a LOW two star rating. It started out good and then about halfway through it went from Seeds of Hope to Seeds of Depression. I wanted something to make me feel like there was hope for the planet but instead she just pointed out all the ways that humans have absolutely trashed in and I've lost even more faith in humanity. If the book didn't do that for you, then the closing stories of the three "survivors" with one story being focused on the Hiroshima horrors and another on 9/11, wel ...more
Benjaminxjackson
Jane Goodall is most well-known for her work with primates, and animals in general. While compiling a book on animals, she gathered enough material for a book on endangered plant species as well.

This book was a great read because it is easy to take plant for granted. They often just fade into a mass of green foliage. But when we start to think about how diverse the plant world is, and how important it can be to us, we gain a broader perspective into the world. Endangered species are not just an
Karen
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
As I am not a voracious non-fiction reader, this book is perfect for audiobook listening that I started on a road trip to visit my mom. At almost 83 (April 3), Jane Goodall has led an amazing life. She had many wonderful and some unbelievable stories to tell about our plant kingdom. I found the existence of the Millennium Seed Bank fascinating. Can you believe that Jane even mentioned the Bridgeport area of Chicago when talking about efforts being made around the world in terms of urban farming! ...more
Sandy Krausnick
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I listened to this audio book, and it was a real treat to hear JG reading parts herself. That’s always a bonus for me. I learned so much on the journey through this book and fully appreciate JG’s love of trees and plants. She is eloquent, knowledgeable and one of the most dedicated individuals trying to bring awareness to the rest of us Homo sapiens on how to save the only planet we have. Inspiring.
Colleen
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an encouraging book! I've found that a lot of recently published ecological books tend to have sort of a doomsday feel to them regarding the future of their subject matter. Goodall clearly presents the serious conservation concerns that treat the plant world, but she does it in such a way that is encouraging and stimulating, rather than depressing. It is also just delightful to read about someone so delighted by the natural world and the world of plants specifically.
  • My Backyard Jungle: The Adventures of an Urban Wildlife Lover Who Turned His Yard into Habitat and Learned to Live with It
  • We Made a Garden
  • The Brother Gardeners: Botany, Empire and the Birth of an Obsession
  • On a Farther Shore: The Life and Legacy of Rachel Carson, Author of Silent Spring
  • Our Political Nature: The Evolutionary Origins of What Divides Us
  • The Forest Unseen: A Year’s Watch in Nature
  • Weeds: How Vagabond Plants Gatecrashed Civilisation and Changed the Way We Think About Nature
  • Anatomy Of A Rose: Exploring The Secret Life Of Flowers
  • Primate Visions: Gender, Race, and Nature in the World of Modern Science
  • Cosmosapiens: Human Evolution from the Origin of the Universe
  • The Once and Future World: Nature As It Was, As It Is, As It Could Be
  • Gardening at the Dragon's Gate: At Work in the Wild and Cultivated World
For the Australian academic and mystery writer, see Professor Jane R. Goodall.

Dame Jane Morris Goodall, DBE (born Valerie Jane Morris-Goodall), is a British primatologist, ethologist, anthropologist, and UN Messenger of Peace. Considered to be the world's foremost expert on chimpanzees, Goodall is best known for her 45-year study of social and family interactions of wild chimpanzees in Gombe Strea