Start by marking “The Mystery Writers of America Presents The Mystery Box” as Want to Read:
The Mystery Writers of America Presents The Mystery Box

The Mystery Writers of America Presents The Mystery Box

There's nothing more mysterious than a locked box. Whether it's a literal strongbox, an empty coffin, the inner workings of a scientist's mind, or an underground prison cell, there are those who will use any means necessary to unlock the secrets of...THE MYSTERY BOX.

With this anthology, bestselling author Brad Meltzer introduces twenty-one original stories from today's mos
Published April 28th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery Writers of America Presents The Mystery Box

Start your review of The Mystery Writers of America Presents The Mystery Box
Glen
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, anthology
An anthology with the theme that each story has to feature a mystery box of some kind. I wasn't too thrilled with any of the stories, to tell the truth. As a whole, they were very predictable. even though there were some fairly prominent authors involved. Maybe the editor should have been more involved.
Jim
This was an excellent collection of short stories, each featuring a box. It was interesting how many ways there were to work one in & yet still keep a fine story. While some were certainly more to my taste than others, overall they were excellent. Each & every one was very well narrated, too. A few were horror & a couple humorous, but they all had a pretty good mystery. Highly recommended.

Introduction, by Brad Meltzer
The amiable Miss Edith Montague, by Jan Burke
Waco 1982, by Laura Lippman
War sec
Lbaker
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall the authors used a box in a key part of the story, but some did not, which was annoying.

The Amiable Miss Edith Montague by Jan Burke - liked, though was a little confused on why the victim would have allowed the protagonist to see the contents of the box - 4 stars.

Waco 1982 by Laura Lippman - interesting and different - 4 stars.

War Secrets by Libby Fischer Hellman - world war II - too short to care about the characters - 2 stars.

The Vly by C. E. Lawrence - a little spooky, different - 4
Loraine
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some really good, some really great and one that I will never forget.
Years ago I was stunned and haunted forever after by a Stephen King short story called Survivor Type in the Skeleton Crew compilation. I still consider it one of the best stories I have ever read for its brilliant concept and execution but mostly for the audacity to think it up in the first place. It was amazing even for Stephen King. In Mystery Box I found The Hedge which comes awfully close to that same jaw-dropping audacity
Jamesboggie
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Recently, I decided to start listening to audiobooks during quiet times at work. I am pretty new to audiobooks and the mystery genre, so I downloaded Mystery Writers of America Presents the Mystery Box as a trial. I really enjoyed this anthology. Of course quality varied, but the stories and readers were almost all decent to great.

I was surprised by the diversity of stories in this anthology. The theme is “mystery box”, and every story was supposed to include one in some way. Not all did, but mo
Mike
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery buffs, anyone

The introduction says that this is collection of stories that use a mystery box (literal or not) and I suppose that each of them did so. But, like most collections the quality of the stories was uneven. I also found most of them too “breezy”, but that may have more to do with length restrictions than the ability of the authors. As an anthology I give it a Three (3.0) Stars. Below are those stories that I especially liked – it seems that established writers stood out more.

The Amiable Miss Edith M
Bonnie
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the type of book I was expecting it to be. With a cover like that my eyes ignored the “mystery writers” and just assumed “horror writers” and my brain was confused when there wasn’t a lot of scary bits at first.

You get my confusion, right? I know that Mystery is written in a huge white super-prominent font but c’mon. The rest looks like a blood soaked coffin full of terror.

There were some stellar stories in here and some that were indeed creepy (like Heirloom by Joseph Finder). Mad
Lindsey Silvestrini
This was such an intriguing collection of short mysteries that came together as a great collaboration in The Mystery Box. I normally don’t like short stories for some reason. I think because I like to get more in depth with the characters and the stories. Mysteries seem to be the exception to the rule.

With mysteries, the focus is more on the mystery itself so you’re eager to find out what that is and don’t need 200 pages leading up to it. These stories were all suspenseful and all unique in thei
Travis
The theme is box. Each story needed a box in it in some way. And the variations were all over. Quite creative. One of the better short story anthologies I have run across. A couple weren't that appealing to me, but there were a few I would deem excellent and the rest good to very good.
♫ You take the good,
you take the bad,
you take them both,
and there you have,
The Mystery Box. ♫
Imjussayin
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, anthology
The Mystery Writers of America Presents The Mystery Box - Mystery Writers of America Anthology

In A Nutshell: 21 Stories with a box as a theme. It's to be expected that some would be better than others. But short story collections are good fun. And it is interesting to see what authors can do with a box. It was not always 'terrifying, funny' or 'suspenseful' as promoted. But some of the tales deserve three stars.

My favourites include the opening story The Amiable Miss Montague by Jan Burke. It's
Barbara Schultz
Mystery Writers of American Presents A series of stories by 15 mystery writers.

I am not a fan of short stories but several of these mystery writers are authors I like.
These authors were given the topic of writing a story about a box any size and shape.

I especially liked Laura Lippman and her story “Waco 1982”.
A young reporter is given the assignment of writing a story about the things that turn up in the” lost and found” box. Things left by vacationers when the leave at the motel after vac
Kristen Lewendon
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I love short story anthologies. They give me an opportunity to explore many authors I may not have read before and get an idea what their longer works might be like. I felt this was a very mixed bag. With the stated lead in that all stories in the anthology will have some type of mysterious box contained within their pages, I expected the boxes to be fairly obvious. Some of them were, others were more subtle. Some were so subtle, I couldn’t find the mysterious box in them at all. Part of this co ...more
F.
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
“The Vly, the Vly is dark inside, Where strange and fearsome things may hide Heed my warning, hear the cry— Don’t go nigh the Vly, the Vly.”

Like most books of short stories this one had some great ones and some not so great ones. Because of that, they tend to almost always hover in the three star range. I would give this one a solid 3.5 so I rounded up because it was better than most. The Vly may have been my favorite.

I would certainly recommend this to readers who enjoy mysteries and short st
Ron Hartley
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I only give it a 3-star rating.

This anthology of short stories it's supposed to involve some type of box. In a few of the stories I was confused as to what the box was.

Overall it was entertaining, like most collections of short stories interest is subjective. Some of the stories in this collection were very clever, some were very entertaining, while some just fell flat.

There were two stories that I started it became so bored that I did not even finish. So I don't ruin anything for anybody I wil
Alicia Williams
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 009-2018
My high points:

-- Waco 1982 by Laura Lippman,
-- Heirloom by Joseph Finder,
-- The Secret Life of Books by Angela Gerst, and
-- The Birdhouse by Stephen Ross.

The rest of the stories were just okay. Not as many winners as most anthologies.
Clayton Yuen
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
What are Mystery Novels .... what are Mystery Short Stories?

They are some great and entertaining short stories, and there are some gruesome, heartbreaking occurrences.

Try them if you dare ... some are good, scary, clever ..... some are gruesome!
Tim Hicks
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A satisfactory collection on the theme of "write a mystery short that involves a box." Some of the authors interpreted that rather loosely, some strictly. Some were invited, others competed to get in.
You get a wide variety of plots, different eras and countries, some humour and some not-so-much.
Kate Arismendez
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I was really hoping to enjoy this book more. To me it felt like some stories the author had a good story they wanted to share, and a box was just thrown into the story as an afterthought.
My favorite story is the Amiable Miss Montague. Another interesting one is The Hedge.
Mary
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
A few stories are okay, a few unreadable; the very last one made me laugh out loud while I listened to it on my walk!
Sherry
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Sometimes a handful of short stories is just what the doctor ordered.
Roberta Wall
Nov 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Too many strange short stories but must say that the last one by Karin Laughter was really funny.
Almond
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun mystery anthology with a variety of short stories and narrators.
Sarah Anderson
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really good collection of mystery stories. There was a good mix of humorous, serious, and creepy stories to please every type of mystery reader.
Brynn
Jul 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
I made it through 3 stories, they were so boring I decided it wasn't worth it to finish the book.
Gary
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok collection of stories. One I didn't understand; one I absolutely hated.
Nyssy
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A box 📦 and different types of ways to be stuck in one. 🔲
Reynolds Darke
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sounded like a good idea for a collection but there is nothing special here.
Patricia
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
A great collection of mysteries.
Vicki Merriman
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good selection of stories, enjoyed most of them - the one by Karin Slaughter was a standout though!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Mystery Box (anthology) 1 2 Jun 29, 2013 05:20AM

• Mystery Writers of America Presents The Prosecution Rests: New Stories about Courtrooms, Criminals, and the Law
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Blue Religion: New Stories about Cops, Criminals, and the Chase
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Ice Cold: Tales of Intrigue from the Cold War
  • Martin Misunderstood
  • The Midwife Murders
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Death Do Us Part: New Stories about Love, Lust, and Murder
  • The Cuckoo's Cry
  • Hawk
  • The Deep
  • Daddy's Girl
  • Like a Charm
  • Odd Partners: An Anthology
  • The Pact (Kate Burkholder #11.5)
  • Innocent (Kindle County Legal Thriller #8)
  • African American Athletes Who Made History
  • Dan Rather: Stories of a Lifetime
  • A Matter of Justice (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #11)
  • The Lincoln Myth (Cotton Malone, #9)
Brad Meltzer is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Inner Circle, The Book of Fate, and nine other bestselling thrillers including The Tenth Justice, The First Counsel, The Millionaires, and The President’s Shadow. His newest book, The Escape Artist, debuted at #1 on the bestseller list.
In addition to his fiction, Brad is one of the only authors to ever have books on the bestseller lis