Start by marking “Maddie on Things: A Super Serious Project About Dogs and Physics” as Want to Read:
Maddie on Things: A Super Serious Project About Dogs and Physics

Maddie on Things: A Super Serious Project About Dogs and Physics

Maddie is a sweet-tempered coonhound who accompanied her owner, Theron, on a yearlong, cross-country trip while he worked on a photojournalism project. In his spare time, Theron took photos of Maddie doing what she does best: standing on things. From bicycles to giant watermelons to horses to people, there really isn't anything that Maddie won't stand on with grace and pat ...more
Published March 26th 2013 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Maddie on Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maddie on Things

karen
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: les-animaux, roof
NOW WITH MORE (still dubious quality) PHOTOS!!!

i know. i'm a soft touch. you make a book with photos of animals being cute or being gross or being silly and i will buy it. it's not something i have any control over - it's just the way it is. and this book is so freaking amazing - maddie gets into and onto everything. HOW IS THIS DOG EVEN POSSIBLE???

here are a bunch of pictures i grabbed from her site:

and then there will be some pictures i got from the book itself. but y
Kelli
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I love This Wild Idea. It is the only reason I joined Instagram and to date remains the only thing I view or do on Instagram. I love this guy's story; I love his sense of adventure; I love his willingness to quit a job he felt wasn't feeding his soul; I love his dog rescue story; I love that he traveled cross country for a year. I'm an Aries. That actually sounds good to me.

Theron Humphrey is an acclaimed and award-winning photographer. What he is posting these days is breathtaking. This book wa
Nikki
The compilation that is Maddie on Things is, overall, endearing. I love that Maddie is a rescue from a shelter and that she is clearly loved by Mr. Humphrey. The concept is also entertaining. I did enjoy the pictures, the way in which they were framed and the saturation levels were pleasing to my eye. I found myself enjoying the backgrounds of the photos more than the focus or the items Maddie was on. When it came to the items Maddie would stand on I was a bit bothered. Many of them were interes ...more
Heidi
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every dog lover out there
Maddie the Coonhound (Video)

I just ordered this book, but I could theoretically already rate it in advance (something I don't do as a principle, though) because all the photos are available on the website linked above.
I'm in love. Maddie's patience and balance are extraordinary, especially for a shelter dog. The ideas behind the images are weird, funny, outright crazy or simply adorable.

Now I have to wait a week or two until I can cuddle up on my sofa and enjoy doggish awesomeness without the
Lisa
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I absolutely adore Maddie.

This is actually a photography book*, and not literature. However, stories have different ways of being told and these pictures still tell you so much about the relationship between Maddie and her owner.

Maddie is a coonhound dog that was rescued from an animal shelter by the photographer, Theron Humphrey. What he didn't know and found out later, was the fact that Maddie could perform an unusual trick. She basically has incredible balance (and patience, I imagine) and w
Amadeus
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
For all you instagrammers, here is a book by two of the most popular Instagrammers out there: Theron & Maddie from @thiswildidea

How can you not love Maddie? She's the epitome of the patient, willing, loyal canine friend. She is the companion that we all want to have, and together she and Theron make the American road trip that we all want to have.

There is not a lot of text in this book, so it probably functions best as a coffee table book after first read. But one I think your guests will en
Carol
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog-books
This is a book of photographs taken by Humphrey on his 65,000 mile cross-country journey with Maddie, a rescued coonhound with a talent for balancing on just about any surface. The photographs are beautiful and Maddie is a beautiful dog but what really got me was the way the book has captured the essence of why we "journey" and how it transforms us for the better. The author is currently (as of May, 2013) on a book tour and he is charming.
Wendi
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was pretty worried about Maddie in a few of these pictures. Even when Humphrey assures us of her safety - for some of them, at least. I'd love to see the process of taking these pictures - how incredibly still and calm she must have to stay while the shot is being taken.

Love the idea, love the photographs, love Maddie.
Susan
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I met Maddie and Theron last week. They are an amazing pair who have taken fantastic photos. I love these images and the story behind them.
Sofía De la Cuesta
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Me gustó a secas. Es decir, me gustó más la premisa que el libro en sí: el autor renunció a su trabajo, adoptó un perro (Maddie) y se puso a viajar con él. Sin embargo el relato de su viaje me pareció más bien anecdótico. Tienes pasajes entretenidos pero la verdad es un libro que se pueden ahorrar.
Marcia Ferguson
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Add me to the list of people who were fortunate to meet Maddie and Theron Humphrey. Maddie carries herself with the grace she exhibits in the photographs, and is a happy and contented dog. She's logged mile after mile after mile, and is the center of attention in rural, lonesome spaces. This is a wonderful book - its rather washed-out photos ring true, whereas richly saturated colors would diminish Maddie. She definitely stands out and owns the photographs, which is truly remarkable. I bought a ...more
Jaime
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mundo-real
Soy un fiel fan de este proyecto. Prácticamente lo sigo desde sus inicios. Este libro para mi representa como transciende la fotografía digital hasta el mundo físico. Es impresionante ver como esta hermosa perra, Maddie, desafía toda física y obstáculo para lograr sus poses en medio de paisajes bastante pintorescos. Ver este libro me hizo disfrutar de las aventuras de Maddie junto a su dueño Theron Humphrey, en medio de su viaje a través de un Estado Unidos muy pocas veces visto. Me hubiese gust ...more
Megan (ReadingRover)
This is a beautiful photo book. There are photos of Maddie the dog standing on all different things. It's a unique and entertaining idea for a book. Maddie and her owner travel all over the country to meet new and interesting people while shooting their photos.
The photos are bright and interesting. They often get you thinking of how they could possibly be set up to work. It's a very fun book.
Amanda
This is a wonderful picture book. Maddie is a gorgeous dog and her owner, Theron Humphrey, has taken some wonderful pictures of her in this fun, at times hilarious, book. All dog lovers will have fun spending a few hours looking at these pictures.
Jamil
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: pups, photo
Absolute joy
Ian
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The only question is whether this is the best book of the year or the best book of all time.
Cat
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. Beautiful. Delightful. Brought a smile to my face, well done sir.
Luci
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Really cute dog. Was fun to see maddie standing on all the different things.
Lesley
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal, library-book
Loved this book of photos of his dog on a journey they took around the country. Not sure how he got Maddie to pose like that!
Mary
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Probably the best book about a dog standing on shit.
Sheri S.
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a great book, especially for dog lovers! I found out about this book after reading Find MoMo, which is also fun book, and a lot like Maddie on Things (but different too). I love the creativity of the photographs and how Maddie's personality shows through the pictures. I enjoyed the author's story about why he went on the journey. It's always fun to see pictures of what people find interesting as they travel throughout the United States.
Nancy
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Lovely and fun photography book featuring Humphrey's dog Maddie and her talent for balancing on pretty much anything. The photos are wonderful and Maddie is adorable. Some of the photos have story captions. I really wanted more of those!
Jayne
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A road trip across America, as told though pictures of a dog standing on things. It's simple, and that's what makes it great.
Charity Rau
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute book!
Uyên Khôi
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is such a inspring journey that I wish I have enough money to travel around with a lovely friend like Maddie.
Carol
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book pretty much sums up all of my life goals.
Rachel LaMacchia
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
💗
Paulette
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Sweet story of a photographer, who documents a year-long cross country trip together with his dog, Maddie.
Sandy
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
My 7 year old loves photography books and adores dogs, so this was a perfect read for her.
Rebekah
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Super cute and fun - worth a flip through.
  • Underwater Dogs
  • Dogs in Cars
  • Find Momo Coast to Coast: A Photography Book (Find Momo #2)
  • Shake
  • No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian
  • Harlow & Sage (and Indiana): A True Story about Best Friends
  • The Secret Life of Squirrels
  • More than Human
  • Felines of New York: A Glimpse Into the Lives of New York's Feline Inhabitants