Start by marking “Steam Train, Dream Train” as Want to Read:
Steam Train, Dream Train

Steam Train, Dream Train

In this book with rhyming text, the dream train pulls into the station and all the different cars are loaded by the animal workers, each with the appropriate cargo.
Published April 16th 2013 by Chronicle Books (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Steam Train, Dream Train, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steam Train, Dream Train

Start your review of Steam Train, Dream Train
Archit
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
The fast fast cars are fast asleep.

Steam train can come handy when you've a number of worker animals helping you loading up other fancy cars and comfortable beds for the animals.
Sophia Triad
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
We loved the "Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site" by the same author and illustrator.
"Steam Train, Dream Train" is almost equally good.
Perfect goodnight book.
midnightfaerie
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
After so many boring and lackluster children's books about trains, it was so refreshing to come across one so engaging with such beautiful illustrations! We all loved this book! Even my 5 yr old who claims to have no interest in trains anymore was riveted by the story and what would be loaded onto the dream train next. Even though a young reader could read this, it's much more fun to have a parent read this smoothly. I know that some people find rhyming tiresome and overdone, but this book does ...more
Niki (nikilovestoread)
We've been reading this book for years and my boys still love it. The story is a cute one and the illustrations are beautiful. ...more
Cindy Hudson
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sherri Duskey Rinker and Tom Lichtenheld, the duo that brought us the award-winning Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site, have created another bedtime picture book that’s sure to be a hit with parents and preschoolers alike.

Steam Train, Dream Train is the story of a train with a very unusual crew: bears, elephants, monkeys, kangaroos and other animals. When the train pulls into the station, crew members load it up with all kinds of things kids love to play with. The monkeys bring in monkey bar
Kaethe Douglas
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a weirdly specific book: a going-to-bed book with all the cars of the train named, and animals loading them. The text was fine, but the art was really special.

Library copy
Joannah Keats
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sherri Duskey Rinker and Tom Lichtenheld are the modern masters of the bedtime story, especially for little boys. Their previous picture book, Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site, is a favorite of truck-loving children everywhere. In Steam Train Dream Train, they’ve taken another childhood obsession - trains, and managed to work in animals, toys, trucks, cars - even dinosaurs make an appearance in these pages. It may seem overwhelming at first because there is a lot more here than there was i ...more
Barbara
Filled with plenty of onomatopeia such as "clickety-clack" (unpaged), "Cling! Clang!" (unpaged), "Puffing, chuffing out of sight" (unpaged), this book is fun to read aloud. A train arrives, and various animals load up each of its cars. while I liked the fact that it was written in rhyming text and that I learned some interesting information--who knew that the car where cold products are stored is called a reefer car?--I grew a bit tired of the text as several cars were filled, and then the train ...more
Jared
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Currently the best book I've found for my 2 year old. ...more
Bianca Orellana
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-000-bbk
I love that it teaches the parts of a train, and it's the perfect bedtime story. 4.5 stars. ...more
Tamarah
The animals leave the train station to work, play, and sleep as they journey through the night on train tracks.
Kerstin
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a lovely book. I love the rhyme and the illustrations are just darling.
Suzan
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
This a nice bedtime story. Cute illustrations.
Destiny Dawn Long
This was a really enjoyable bedtime book. My daughter really likes trains right now, which was part of why I grabbed it from the library shelf. I was pleased to discover a fun story that teaches about the different parts of trains, while using a rhyming text story full of playful animal crew members. There are lots of fun action words and onomatopoeia. The wax oil pastel illustrations are imaginative and beautifully rendered. I especially like the heavy shadows and darker tones that were used to ...more
Joella
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
A train gets loaded up for the night. Each of the various animal crew know just what they should do–from the monkeys who do acrobatics to get the cargo loaded to the polar animals who load the “reefer” (cold) car. Of course at the end of the story the reader will find out there is more to this train…it is a little child’s train set up at the foot of a bed while the child is sleeping.

The illustrations are beautiful. The dark strokes with speckled colors add to the night-time feel of the book. Plu
Renee M
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved everything about this. The illustrations were engaging and enhanced the text. The text is clever, lush, delicious rhyme. Plus, it teaches about trains and their various cars and uses with charming accuracy. Loved!
Kyra Fowler
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I tried reading this to Pre-K but it was a little over their head:(
Betsy
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Not as fabulous as "Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site," but still nice. ...more
Melody
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
bed time train story with gentle, sleepy time ending.
Jessica Dyer
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great illustrations fun rhymes but not too tongue twisted
Lauren White
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is about a child's dream of a train. The train is loaded by all different kinds of animals. Cargo is stowed in the first train. The crew then loads the freight train. The boxcar gets loaded next. The hopper box is then filled by a giraffe. Tankers are lined up by elephants. The reefer car is loaded with ice cream by a polar bear. Turtles load the autorack with cars. The well cars carry dinosaurs. At the end of the book, you learn that this train is part of a child's dream.

The theme in
Jessica Neubauer
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Taylor Shannon
This book was about different animals loading up a train. They had circus animals loading different train cars on the train. The animals included, a giraffe, polar bears, elephants, monkeys, and a t-rex. The neat twist at the end was that it all appeared to be the dream of a sleeping boy. The same train pictured in the dream was on the floor of the sleeping boy's room.

I loved the part when the train ended up just being a part of the dream. What a neat story! It is interesting and extremely cool
FM Family
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
I'm not generally a huge fan of Vehicle-focused books, but I appreciated this one in how it explained about all the different cars on the train, their names and what they do, in a fun way without hitting you over the head with it. Did a good job of being silly, informative, and calming, which is just what you'd hope for from a book called Steam Train, Dream Train. I'd give this a 3 overall, and based on my kid's interest level, but I'll rate it 4 because it stands out in the world of vehicle boo ...more
Katherine
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my 2.5-year old's favorite books. We read this one every night, and he has the first several pages memorized and will quote them alongside me when I read it to him. He loves the illustrations, and picks out the toys/objects that are his "favorites" from each page, then will pick out others for his friends, grandparents, mommy, daddy, etc. I must say that this is also one of my favorites, and still enjoy it even after reading it over 50 times, at this point. ...more
Luisa Knight
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delightful, imaginative story! Well told and the illustrations are vivid and scrumptious.

Ages: 3 - 5

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Emma
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book takes a look at different parts of a train and uses fun illustrations to show the various uses of a train. The book uses a lot of different and fun vocabulary that is shown in the illustrations so children can consider what the word means based on the picture. This book would be great to read-aloud fo children around kindergarten through third grade and for some, it will be a fun one to independently read.
Jilly
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My three year old grandson LOVES to be read to but he can also be very reluctant to try a new book instead of one of his old favorites. He was absolutely enthralled with this story ,even when read on my phone. I think this will be a new favorite, as it combines trains with animals doing the sort of things he imagines when he plays.
Amanda
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: me-and-ozman
We really liked Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site and I found this one at the library accidentally. It was definitely a dream type story -- animals loading trains! But it did give the names of the parts of the trains and we enjoyed that.

LoveBug BookClub
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely bedtime book for children. It explains all the different types of train cars and what can go in them, but in a way that is fun for kids. The illustrations make it even more fun as various animals load up the train.

Watch Leeanne and Johanna read this book on our YouTube Channel:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiEGT9A7WTU
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Train The Trainer 1 1 Jan 23, 2018 10:08PM
Train The Trainer 1 1 Dec 22, 2017 11:27PM

• Little Blue Truck
  • Sheep in a Jeep
  • Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?
  • Good Night, Little Blue Truck
  • Chicken Big
  • Rosie Revere, Engineer
  • I Stink!
  • The Going to Bed Book
Sherri has returned to her passion of writing to indulge her own children's passions. A graphic designer, she lives in Chicago with her photographer husband, a cockapoo named Quincy, several fish, a few hermit crabs, an ever-changing array of insects in jars, toys in every corner, and two energetic and inquisitive young boys: one fascinated by bugs and magic and another obsessed with trucks and tr ...more