Start by marking “Let's Bring Back: The Lost Language Edition: A Collection of Forgotten-Yet-Delightful Words, Phrases, Praises, Insults, Idioms, and Literary Flourishes from Eras Past” as Want to Read:

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Too often, when struggling to find just the right turn of phrase, exclamation of joy, or witty barb, it's easy to forget that history is positively brimming with rich words deserving of rejuvenation. Lesley M. M. Blume gathers forgotten words, phrases, names, insults, and idioms, plus fascinating and funny anecdotes, etymologies, and occasions for use. Let's Bring Back: Th ...more
Published March 12th 2013 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Let's Bring Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Bring Back

Richard Derus
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5* of five

***I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway; the publisher made no request that I write a review***

The Publisher Says: Too often, when struggling to find just the right turn of phrase, exclamation of joy, or witty barb, it's easy to forget that history is positively brimming with rich words deserving of rejuvenation. Lesley M. M. Blume gathers forgotten words, phrases, names, insults, and idioms, plus fascinating and funny anecdotes, etymologies, and occasions for use. Let'
Joshua
May 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
If you were a child of the 90s, most of these words you heard on Nickelodeon, repeats of Looney Tunes and old shows on Nick At Nite. I feel like this is a case of the author underestimating her audience.

Very disappointing. Most of these words and expressions I still hear and see in common use both among family members, friends, and in media. It wasn't completely devoid of new material for me and some of it gave background information on phrases I already knew but I bought this expecting archaic
Sharla
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this book. I expected interesting facts about why certain phrases came to be, and when they were commonly used. This book does have some of that. But I felt that many of the words and phrases it included are still commonly used, or at least known to many people, like the word "classy" for instance. Some definitions were very poor and did little to explain a word's meaning.
James
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A lot of fun, and very interesting. The book is exactly what the subtitle says it is, a dictionary of archaic words and phrases. Many were no doubt cliches in their time, but with disuse they sound fresh and conjure vivid images today. I got this to use as a writing reference, but it would be a pleasure to read for its own sake.

It is a tad humbling, however, to realize that I was around when a fair number of these bits of language weren't obsolete yet!
Myra
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfic
Cute idea, but I use a good number of these words included. It's scarcely the "Lost Language" edition if many of the words are still familiar.
Ampersand Inc.
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it
The latest from long time contributing style editor of the Huffington Post , Lesley M. M. Blume. This book will have you recollecting your favourite forgotten words, phrases, names and facts. Preparing you to shine at your next social gathering with fast-talking, vintage inspired conversation!
Jill
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful little collection of old words and phrases. As Blume mentions in the intro, not all of these are *extinct* sayings. Many of them are simply endangered. Indeed, though I've heard many, there were few that I feel like I hear with any kind of regularity.

My one complaint was that a few of the words don't have a proper definition given, or even a good example sentence. They do that thing where you basically use the word to define itself, assuming that the audience already under
Marilyn Getts
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I was surprised and annoyed that I knew most of the entries. An entertaining light read.
Ietrio
Jan 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
Want to feel special without being special at all? Here is the book for you. From somebody who scavenged all over the blogs about exotic expressions. He would even speculate about the origin.
Ralph
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
I love words and phrases, the beauty of the English language, and the pleasure of having a large working vocabulary, hence my joy at finding this compendium of forgotten and obsolete words and phrases, linguistic expressions which, according to the compiler, were either phased out prematurely or should be brought back into uncommon usage because situations have arisen, mirroring the times in which they were current. I have to admit that a quarter of the entries, perhaps even a third, are already ...more
Dana
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
When I saw this book in the giveaways I was very excited. The subject matter is right up my alley. I personally love having a vast and diverse vocabulary and am thrilled when I can use less common words and phrases in everyday conversations and communications. So when I won the First Reads giveaway, I was thrilled and ready to increase my vocabulary with all sorts have rare and spunky words.

The book was a very quick read. It only took me a few hours to complete it. Overall I would say there are
Rappy Winters
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Have you ever just had a strong urge to say "huzzah"? Did you know that an old term for butt was "double juggs"? Do you care? If you do, then this book is probably one you'll want to check out.

As with many titles, however, there is a bit of a mixed bag syndrome with this title. While terms such as "scrape acquaintance" may be truly esoteric, others such as "getting down to brass tacks" and "zounds" still get enough use in either actual discussion or pop culture tomfoolery to break through into s
Rowan MacBean
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a book I could have sat down and breezed through in an hour, but instead it took me nearly two weeks to read it. Why? Because I could only read a little bit before I got annoyed and had to put it down. I was looking for a book of "lost" and "forgotten" words, since that's what the cover advertises. And, yes, there were some terms that were new to me, but I've read or heard well over half of them (in things that were not specifically about language) and more than half of the ones I've hea ...more
Mary Lou
Feb 28, 2014 rated it liked it
The older you are, the more of these underused (but not altogether forgotten) terms you'll know, and perhaps employ. Some of my favorites are here, e.g. trollop and strumpet, dastardly, mollycoddle, and druthers (seriously - do other people not use these words??). Some good ones were missing from Blume's list, notably canoodle, pixilated, and codswallop, which I use at every opportunity. My favorite from among those with which I wasn't familiar? Taradiddle, which is a fib. A fun little book for ...more
Amanda
I wasn't over the moon about this book simply because A LOT of the words and phrases are ones I not only hear but do still use on a regular basis. Something I didn't care for in the book was the author's tone. Not likely to pick up another of her books despite my interest in words, phrases and all things of days past.
Beckie
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There are three books (so far), and I love them all. I actually do use a lot of the words and phrases, but maybe that is due to my age. These books are great as coffee table books, and for sure would make great gifts! And they are books you would read more than once, as they are chock-full of fun info.
JBP
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Fun and quick to read book about all the out of fashion words that have slipped from public popularity. Filled with definitions and examples in sentence form, this little book can have you referring to ninnyhammers or not to be tisty-tosty or how in life you just need to chance the ducks.
Nelson Rosario
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memory
Stop going through life as a loblolly and expand your vocabulary by reading this book. I love compendiums like this, and I love language so of course I love this book. I'm glad I read it before I join the majority. So stop lollygagging and read this book.
Kelsey
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Very intriguing read! I will no doubt incorporate many of these phrases into my vocabulary. I simply wish Blume had gone into a bit more detail about the historical origins of each word. I adored the minuscule and colorful illustrations as well!
Hillary Rounds
I would have finished this book sooner but I was working a lot this week. I love this book. I will be keeping this in my personal library. I absolutely love using these words on people, because they don't even know what I am saying. It is really fun.
Patricia
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read through many wonderful words and phrases in this book, but would love to have my own copy to refer to in the future. The book is beautifully bound and would make a great addition to any word lover's library.
Patrick Macke
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very enjoyable and a beautiful physically crafted book; a nice gift for me, a person who typically gets the fuzzy end of the lollipop
Colleen
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun read! Apparently I speak a lost language, too, for many of the entries are part of my vernacular.
Stephanie Shaw
Natalie
Apr 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Encyclopedia of the Exquisite: An Anecdotal History of Elegant Delights
  • Leap Write In!: Adventures in Creative Writing to Stretch and Surprise Your One-of-a-Kind Mind
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes in English Made by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • How to Write a Damn Good Novel, II: Advanced Techniques for Dramatic Storytelling
  • Many Genres, One Craft: Lessons in Writing Popular Fiction
  • Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • A World of Curiosities: Surprising, Interesting, and Downright Unbelievable Facts from Every Nation on the Planet
  • Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure and Preposterous Words
  • 4,000 Questions for Getting to Know Anyone and Everyone
  • Spell It Out: The Curious, Enthralling and Extraordinary Story of English Spelling
  • The New Well Tempered Sentence: A Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Money: How to Make It, Save It, And Spend It
  • I Never Knew There Was a Word For It
  • Shady Characters: The Secret Life of Punctuation, Symbols & Other Typographical Marks
  • The Writer's Digest Handbook of Short Story Writing
  • Bad English: A History of Linguistic Aggravation
  • Worlds of Wonder: How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
Lesley M. M. Blume is an author, columnist and journalist. She did her undergraduate work at WIlliams College and Oxford University, and took her graduate degree in history from Cambridge University.
She now regularly contributes to Vanity Fair, The Wall Street Journal and Departures magazine.

Nonfiction Deals

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Smoke and Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen
    $18.95 $2.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $8.24 $2.99
  • A Natural History of the Senses (Vintage)
  • Unsinkable: A Memoir
    $14.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers