Start by marking “Awesome Dawson” as Want to Read:
Awesome Dawson

Awesome Dawson

EVERYTHING CAN BE USED AGAIN! That's Dawson's motto. He collects junk that people throw away and turns it into something STUPENDOUS. But when Dawson uses his skills to create a machine to do his chores for him, he discovers he might have invented something a little too... AWESOME. Can he stop the rampaging robot before it destroys the entire town?
Chris Gall inspires kids t
Published March 19th 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Awesome Dawson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awesome Dawson

Start your review of Awesome Dawson
Nick
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book was cute, but didn't make a lick of sense. Dawson is a super-inventor, but the story was so deranged that I couldn't tell if it was all happening inside his head. If it was real, there are people in that town who may never sleep again, after being attacked by a giant vacuum cleaner with cat food for brains. No, really.
While trying to create a machine to do household chores for him, Dawson accidentally unleashes a device which sucks up everything, growing as it does. Eventually he defea
John
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because Awesome Dawson can fix anything, and he finds ways to reuse trash and stuff like that (recycling, toys that broke...) because I think the whole entire world is broken. Because I see some pieces of lots of trash on one page of this book.
Llael
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: apollo
My tinkering 4yo LOVED this book and was inspired to create some more and try to read the book himself, so that's a win I guess. As an adult, I find it a bit nonsensical (the vacuum robot balloons in size as it swallows things?), unnecessarily scary, and a little sexist (the mom is always passively in the background of the father - maybe I'm being overly sensitive).
Kelly
Dawson is a young boy who re-uses as much as he can to invent things.

The only think I really liked about this book were the illustrations. And I didn't even like them that much. The story was very choppy. And messy.
Jackie
The power of imagination is at work at Dawson uses discarded trash to remake them into something useful. Sometimes inventions get out of hand, but Dawson and his trusty, invented friend, Mooey save the day.
Sid Sachdeva
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My daughter loved it.
Roger
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I laughed out loud twice. I think kids would enjoy the story and identifying the recycled parts of the inventions. But it wouldn’t be one of my favorites to read repeatedly.
Desi
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: jp-reads, read-to-jp
He says he picked this out by himself. I’m suspicious though because the kid does brain surgery on his robot. Like, it says, “brain surgery.”
Melanie
A young boy loves to hoard junk and create useful inventions.

Not recommended for storytime. In graphic novel format.
Rachit
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My name means "creator" and Awesome Dawson is a creator, so I like it. I enjoyed the Vaccumaniac part.
katie
Awesome Dawson is a picturebook for the Primary audience. Dawson is an inventor who recycles old items to create new and useful machines. In order to make his chore list easier, he designs a robot that does his housework a little too well, and then he saves the day with a new invention to rescue his town from the robot. The opening scenario is a great eco-friendly concept; the reduce/reuse/recycle model plus an ingenious kid makes for a nice backdrop to the age-old, very relatable conflict of ch ...more
Tima
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Dawson is an awesome inventor and collector of junk. He began at an early age to collect things that no one else wanted and turn them into useful toys. His secret hide out is full of the trash he has collected from around the neighborhood. When his mom calls him to begin his chores, he creates a robot that will do the chores for him so he can spend more time inventing. But something goes dreadfully wrong and he must save the town with help from his trusty side-kick, Mooey. It is written and ill ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity
Oh my! I got this book way, way back last spring, when my library assistant was out with back trouble. I ended up hurriedly cataloging it and sending it out in the world without getting a chance to read it. And it was checked out so much that I never was able to really get time to read it myself.

Well, it finally got checked back in and I sat down yesterday to read it.

Oh my! What a great book! I see why it’s been checked out so much. Our title character is a scavenging inventor, always rooting a
Barbara
Dawson is a born inventor, and he's been creating new products from simple tools and the stuff other folks throw away for most of his life. This eco-friendly boy is convinced that he can find a way recycle most everything that others are getting rid of. He particularly likes to restore toys and give them new leases on life. But his creation of a robot, powered by cat food, to complete his chores works too well, and the Vacu-Maniac sucks up everything in sight. It will take some quick thinking an ...more
Shumin Wu
Picture Book- Awesome Dawson
APA Citation: Gall, C. (2013). Awesome Dawson. New York: Little, Brown and Company.

Summary:
The main character in this book is a boy called Dawson. Dawson is a super-inventor with the motto “Everything can be used again!” He likes to turn trash into treasure and often collects junk that people throw away and turns it into new thing for adding to an invention. At first, Dawson uses his skills to create a machine to do housework for him, later his ambition grows larger
Jennifer Heise
Dawson is an inventor in the grand tradition of Jimmy Neutron, Dexter's Laboratory, and Phineas and Ferb-- but instead of using new parts, as they do, he recycles old parts to build his inventions ("Everything old can be used again," as he said.) His sidekick is a robotic cowhead he built, and he gets into trouble, like most boy inventors, by inventing something that seems cool but gets out of control. I thought it was cool, but not as cool as, say, Howtoons (which is real projects) or some of t ...more
Libby
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, scifi, funny
I think Chris Gall has pretty well sewn up being our six-year-old's current "favorite author." He specifically requested I get this from the library, because he'd seen it on the book jackets of other Chris Gall books, then spent most of the time we had it poring over it, and basically memorized it. His two younger sisters also thought it was great and deserved multiple rereads. I can't say it's my favorite, but I do think Mr. Gall knows his audience!

Dawson is an inventor, but he has to learn to
Chelsea Radojcic
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I may be bias in my love for Chris Gall- but I have to write this review. This story is SO creative and well... awesome! Meet Dawson who is a super smart and super cool kid who loves to build things out of old junk. Dawson is the poster child for recycling! What a creative and fun way to teach your kids about recycling. I would recommend this book especially for little boys. Chris Gall puts the fun into cleaning up and re-purposing things. Dawson's motto is, "everything can be used again!" Not t ...more
Kelsey
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Age: K-2nd grade
Toys: Inventions

Dawson has a mind for creation and everything has a re-purpose; until he creates an out-of-control cleaning robot with cat food for brains. The story is quite chaotic and fast paced, so, when reading, make sure that you are exploring the pictures and taking your time. Gall added label identifiers to all the ready-to-be re-purposed objects so it's fun to explore the jumbled images, much like a search-and-find. Obviously very appealing to kids who like building and
Maya
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Chris Gall is Miles' new favorite author/illustrator. Not only did this guy create Dinotrux, another fave around here, he created Dawson and his lair of junk waiting to be turned into robots and machines. Miles' eyes were wide through the entire first reading of this book. He is mildly into the story line of a robot that has to be stopped before it unwittingly destroys the town. It's the detailed illustrations, Dawson in goggles and his various robot creations that are the big hit. After borrowi ...more
The Styling Librarian
Awesome Dawson by Chris Gall – Great picture book, graphic novel feel, felt like I was reading a new adaptation of the movie version of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, my son agreed. Kiddo also said his favorite part was that the main character Dawson repeatedly said “Everything can be used again!” Pretty creative.
I thought this book would fit well with this booklist from What Do We Do All Day? Website that is called: 11 Books to Inspire Inventors and Engineers:
R
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm of two minds about this book. On one hand it's an inventive story with a positive message about reusing and recycling. On the other hand, a child collects, stores, and plays with large amounts of refuse, and creates something that endangers a large number of people. He is then regarded as a hero when he stops his creation, even though it has done a great deal of property damage that he fails to make right. Also, he has no real friends.
Shelli
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
As always Chris Gall delivers amazing illustrations that make any kid want to select it of the shelf. The pictures are colorful and dynamic; in a cool comic book fashion. Awesome Dawson will be a big hit with any kid that fancies himself to be a bit of an inventor or scientist. I didn't love the story nearly as much as the pictures, it felt a bit rushed in places. Kids will love it all the same though.
Christina
Dawson's motto: Everything can be used again. He deploys this method to try and come up with a way to use discarded "stuff" to come up with a way to make a machine to do his chores. Of course, there are unseen consequences and Dawson must save the neighborhood. A cute story. The graphic-comic like format didn't do anything for me, but the bold colors of the cover might grab the attention of some boys.
Pam
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
The illustrations in this book are bright and deliciously chaotic with lots of labels and things to explore. The story began with the wonderful concept of using your own creativity to build and reuse other items but it evolved into sheer chaos. As a person looking for good resources for STEM programs, I was disappointed that Chris Gall basically took a valuable concept so far that it reads like science fiction.
paula
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"The Vacu-Maniac has a brain made of cat food, Dawson."
"That could be a problem."

It's funny, it's beautiful, it's exciting, it features the best deadpan talking cow sidekick I've seen in a picture book so far this year!

Can Chris Gall be in charge of all picture books for a while please? He is the best.
Brenda Kahn
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
What kid wouldn't like to invent something to do chores for him? Dawson throws away nothing and collects and repurposes nearly everything everyone else throws away. Read it the first time for the zany story then, turn back and read the pictures. Visual humor, energy and color burst from each page.
Lara
Not a huge fan of this one. It's an interesting concept, but I found the text choppy and the illustrations a little too clean, and yet too cluttered at the same time. I can see certain kids really loving this, though.
Pamela
A fun story about how an active childhood imagination can make anything into something else, only in this story the boy inventor literally does just that. Lots of details on each page, some even feeling like a seek-and-find puzzle. Kids will enjoy both the story and pictures.
Mary
This is the story of a boy who loves to invent things out of old things. It is written in the spirit of a graphic novel, which is appealing to many kids. It would be good for older kids to read and enjoy, but it’s not highly exciting.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Most Magnificent Thing
  • The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors
  • What Do You Do with an Idea?
  • Arthur and the Golden Rope (The Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #1)
  • Iggy Peck and the Mysterious Mansion (Questioneers Chapter Books, #3)
  • Imagine a Day
  • Frog on a Log?
  • Sam and Dave Dig a Hole
  • The Farmer and the Clown
  • The Recess Queen
  • Grumpy Monkey Party Time!
Quando estava na escola, Chris Gall foi pego desenhando na carteira. Ganhou o prêmio de Jovem Escritor da Read Magazine quando estava no sétimo ano, o que o inspirou a escrever narrativas para suas ilustrações. Na faculdade, decidiu se tornar ilustrador profissional. Seus trabalhos já estiveram em quase todas as publicações dos Estados Unidos, incluindo a Time, Newsweek, People, Fortune, The New Y ...more