Start by marking “Write This Book: A Do-It-Yourself Mystery” as Want to Read:
Write This Book: A Do-It-Yourself Mystery

Write This Book: A Do-It-Yourself Mystery (Secret)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  684 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
I feared this may happen. I knew reading was a dangerous business, but now it's not safe for writers either! You see, the author of this book is missing. Well, maybe not "missing." A certain author whom I won't name (okay, me) has abandoned his book and has left his readers hanging out to dry. This is a crime, I admit, but there it is. Most of this book, well, I just haven ...more
Published April 2nd 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Write This Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Write This Book

Audrey
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's great. I'd honestly give more stars if it were possible! I don't know. I guess I just really enjoyed writing my own mystery guided by P.B.'s snark, sarcastic but ultimately entertaining tone. God, don't read this review. I speak of nonsense. I'm in a half-awake (or half-asleep?) state. But it's just /that/ good.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, writing, mystery
Yes, go ahead. Write this book. You can do it. P. Bosch will help you. It will be fun. Maybe more fun than reading a book. Go ahead. Write it.
Marian
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
my ten-year-old stayed up till 3 am last night reading and writing this book! i could not love this more. thank you so much for turning on a new night-owl reader, and writer! GAH I AM SO EXCITED.
Meaghan
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
“The good thing about writing fiction is that you get to make everything up. The bad thing is that you have to.”

Stars (Out of 10): 8/10 Stars

Overall Thoughts: I really enjoyed this quick little break from my ordinary, more intense reading. Pseudonymous Bosch was one of childhood authors, and I always loved the footnotes and writing style in general of his, and this book was no exception. If anything, this book had even more footnotes, and even more of his personality seeping into it. I loved the
haley
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: pretty-good
The Secret Series is one of my all-time favorites. But I feel that Bosch's later work (this book and Bad Magic) doesn't quite live up to The Secret Series. I can't give this less than three stars as Bosch is one of my favorite authors. It's great if you like writing stories. I enjoy writing, but if you are more into reading stories, this probably isn't for you.

On the plus side, if you are a novice writer, this book has a lot of great tips not to mention the book has Bosch's trademark voice that
1403Anna
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who's read PB's previous books know just how entertaining and engaging they are. I almost felt embarrased to be finishing such an amazing author's book. Mainly because I lack a typwriting rabbit, but for other reasons as well. A reader simply cannot do justice to this...whatever you want to call it. That being said, this book offers priceless advice at being a successful writer as well as a not so successful writer. I feel the most helpful tips were the ones associated with chocolate.
Galion Public Library Teens
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Review by A.H. : "Write This Book is truly a fun addition to Bosch's books, giving us a better idea of his creative process. Perfect for the aspiring writer (me), the novel perfectly balances a mix of creative freedom & careful guidance. As this balance is traditionally hard to capture, the book is a good testimony to Bosch's skill. Personally, I would say that this book taught me a considerable amount, from characters to plot map and dynamic endings. All in all, I would say that Bosch did a ...more
Lyra
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grades
With snarky footnotes, chocolate, and procrastination tips, it's everything I love. Also - I had to borrow it from the kids after listening to them alternating between genuine chuckles and evil laughs.
Roos Kwon
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
recomendado para ninos que quieran aprender a escribir sus propias historias, muy educativo..el autor te lleva de la mano construir tu propia historia y a como desarrollar futuras ideas...
Anuar
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anuar Bessam ‘16
Write This Book by Pseudonymous Bosch

An author has gone missing, and the only two kids who know about it are about to embark on a journey. I would tell you their names and other details of the plot, but that’s it. That’s all that’s been written so far. Because you are going to be the one to write this book. You are going to get tips from the writer of the Secret Series. You will create your own characters from scratch, and fill in the blanks in their story. Literally. If you are
Kim
From July 2013 School Library Journal--
Gr 4-7: The author has taken it upon himself to teach his readers everything there is to know about the art of writing. He sets forth his proposition early on: "You, the reader of this book, shall be the author of this book." After he shares the basic premise of the plot--two siblings, A - - - and Z - - -, stumble on a mystery involving a missing author--he goes on to provide plenty of substance about the main elements of a story. Through his reluctant and
Travis
This book may well be known as "Read This Book". Pseudonymous Bosch promises that you get to do whatever you want with the book, but inside, he TELLS you what to write. Your characters cannot do anything else but do the previous story in the first book: go in someone's house, find a mystery, break out. Then there's when they go to the Other Side, where they meet some kind of new character who was a previous fan of Bosch.

This book is highly irritating, though Bosch DOES have a tendency to lie, so
Elaina
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
While this book pretends to be a DIY book, the author is actually writing a story while prompting you to think critically about the book. There is also a lot of helpful advice for young writers. The theme of this book is creativity. The author urges you to pick your own path. You even get to choose the characters names! I think what the author is trying to say is that there's no recipe for creativity, you have to discover it for yourself. One use of symbolism in this book is the gold talisman. T ...more
S.E.
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: recommended
Save for Lemony Snicket there is no one more nefarious in childrens literature than Pseudonymous Bosch. The big mystery this time is the mysterious disappearance of the author of this book. The readers must take the helm or the future of the original author will be in jeopardy. The reader won’t have to do it alone, Bosch gives them instructions and clues to completing an awesome mystery novel. Even the uncompleted novel is a fine mystery and whatever the reader comes up with just makes it richer ...more
jenny
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I don't even know what to say because I just can't quite get my thoughts to fathom into a constellation (john green; tfios) and i'm currently on a rollercoaster that only goes up (john green; tfios) and i'm SCREAMING.

pseudonymous bosch. you. are. one. of. the. best. authors. in. this. entire. universe.

end of story.

everything connected so well; i was so afraid that i'd get stuck and not know what to write, but no. it wasn't like that. as i flip through the pages, i smile every time.

i am proud to
Xeala★
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
when i was first given this book, i expected it to be like the title says: write this book. i was expecting lists and guides and more of the sort, not someone telling me that i can write whatever i want and then the next minute tell me that they've planned it out for me and i have to follow it. even though Bosch says its supposed to help you write better, he still uses modern cliches like "the villian" can have a "killer smile" or the setting can be of THREE CHOICES. its confusing and i don't re ...more
Ayu Adisty
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Yeah. P.B tetep snarky kaya biasanya. Ini buku yang bagus buat yang lagi mentok nulis (UHUKsayaUHUK).

Isi di dalemnya seruuu, seseru Secret seriesnya. Yang bikin saya ngasih 3 bintang bukan karena boring atau gimana, tapi karena ceritanya sendiri ... ga ada. Yah, emang kita yang harus nulis ceritanya sih, tapi... Mungkin terlalu datar ya.

Anyhow, ide-idenya PB bagus juga. Yah well, saya cuma ngikutin arti bintang di GOodreads. 3 artinya liked it kan? Ya entu. ^^

NIce cover, anyway.
Lorien Griffith
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have very much enjoyed Pseudonymous Bosch's secret series.Although im not as fascinated by his plot is writing is fabulous!In write this book he guides readers or writers through the process of writing a book.Although i do not agree with Bosch on his view of fiction this book had me continuously laughing.
Madison Simon
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wanted to write a book? You can start your own story with help from Pseudonymous Bosch with this book! But more importantly, Pseudonymous Bosch- I mean, I.B. Anonymous-- drops some clues about The Secret. Read this book if you want a laugh and are a fan of Pseudonymous Bosch! I liked it because the author interupts himself so often and it is very funny.
Nicole Harris
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-nonfic
If you like his books then you might enjoy the same narrator guiding you through writing a story. Light hearted but with examples of genre, plot, etc. that will be easy to understand for the beginning story teller. And if you are mad at how he ended his series, the main characters in his story are too, so you can relate.
~Defender of the Shire~
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of "The Secret Series"; anyone with a good sense of humor!
Recommended to ~Defender of the Shire~ by: When I found out Pseudonymous Bosch was publishing a new book, I freaked out
Pseudonymous Bosch strikes again!

In "Write This Book: A Do-It-Yourself Mystery," the funny author guides you through the steps of writing a book in entertaining ways. With a few references to "The Secret Series," this book is a lot of fun to read AND write. I definitely recommend this to anyone who has an interest in writing--specifically writing with a humorous attitude.
Abdur-Raheem Modan
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Excellent writing from Pseudonymous Bosch (as always) however I found that his writing style was very different from mine so it was a little bit difficult to gain a lot of guidance however I did learn some things...
Emyrose8
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really liked it. If you haven't read the Secret Series by the same author, I highly suggest you read them before attempting this book. It will get a little confusing otherwise. Lots of great stuff about plots and characters and writing an interesting story.
Chloe
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a super fun book! I haven't finished all the writing in it, but it's been awesome.
Orinthia
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was a very funny book. Go P.B.! :)
Soni
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-kids
Great way to help get kids interested in writing while being hilarious and educating!
Kasey
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much fun to read/write. I love Bosch's commentary and his writing in general
Madeline Rose
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a sort of fill in the blank, and it has tips for writing your own stories, which I am currently trying to do.
Lots of humor and fun in this book.
Hannah Comfybookchats
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
dislike. its cute i guess. but i would write something that would contradict a future chapter without realzing. so i gave up
Jo
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
DNF- I wasn't sure what I was going to read when I picked up this book. It left me confused. I must give it another try when I have more time.
  • Hocus Pocus Hotel
  • The Fantastic Family Whipple
  • The Time Fetch
  • The Rookie Bookie
  • The Kindling (Middle School Magic #1)
  • The Lightning Catcher (The Lightning Catcher, #1)
  • Andi Unexpected (Andi Boggs, #1)
  • Looking for Lazaro
  • The Puzzling World of Winston Breen (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #1)
  • City of Fire (City Trilogy, #1)
  • Falcon in the Glass
  • Genie Wishes
  • The Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop
  • The Ink Drinker
  • The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls
  • The Path of Names
  • Bully Bait
  • Escape from the Pipe Men!
Pseudonymous Bosch is the infamously anonymous author of the New York Times bestselling Secret Series and the Bad Books. Despite rumors to the contrary, his books are not actually written by his pet rabbit, Quiche; the rabbit is merely his typist.
More about Pseudonymous Bosch

Secret (7 books)
  • The Name of This Book Is Secret (Secret, #1)
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
  • This Book Is Not Good for You (Secret, #3)
  • This Isn't What It Looks Like (Secret, #4)
  • You Have to Stop This (Secret, #5)
  • The Secret Series Complete Collection

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99